Cheap and easy Sirius Starmate install

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap and easy Sirius Starmate install

I wanted a quick way to mount my Sirius Starmate (ST2) Replay into my TSX, and wasn't finding anything that worked. I finally started messing around with the included suction-cup mount, and was able to get it inside of the main bin under the AC controls.

I removed the rubber mat in the compartment, and took the armature of the mount apart (it has three sections -- the mount and two arms). I pushed the suction cup mount all the way to the back, clamped it down tight, and it actually held! Hope it stays that way Then I reassembled the mount, and dropped in the unit. Perfect fit, and the door still closed. Took all of 5 minutes.

I ran the antenna from the front windshield - ran the wire along the windshield, toward the passenger side. Wire hides well, antenna doesn't move either (didn't even have to apply velcro). I chose this location as it was the fastest - I may revisit this whole install soon, when I have more time. I ran the wire down along the open passenger door, inside of the glove box from right to left. I used the glove box mounting holes to thread the wire - easy peasy. Then I ran the wire along the underside of the dash, tucking it in to the console where it meets the carpet. Zip-tied the excess behind wire and stashed it behind the Starmate.

Ran the power from the 12 volt spot in the armrest console, running the wire through the open space in the front, under the passenger seat belt, and up to the pocket. Wrapped both the antenna and the power wire around the back of the Starmate, plugged them into the left side. Since my audio jack is currently busted, I am using FM modulation for now (if Sirius would ever offer a better than 2-4 week turnaround to get me a replacement, I might take them up on it).

So, total install time was about 20 minutes, and there are only two small visible wires where they enter the console. Not perfect by a long shot, but fast and easy. I have a wife and two small boys, so time rarely is available for longer installs!

If anyone is interested, I'll take a few pics.

Thanks!
Todd
Old 05-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Everyday Joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post the pics of where the antenna is and how your reception is.
Thanks...
Old 05-29-2006, 07:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Unfortunately, wrong forum.

Please copy/paste and start a new thread in Audio & Video (Off-Topic)

Thanks.