Cargo Net install/dealer wouldn't change my oil..

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cargo Net install/dealer wouldn't change my oil..

I just got back from taking my tsx to have the oil changed/cargo net installed. They installed the cargo net ($38.00) but wouldn't change my oil. I've got 3600 miles on my car and the service advisor said it was too soon. I guess I'll just have it done at 5,000 miles. I asked them not to wash my car and they didn't, they just sprayed half of the rear end. It looks like crap now, and needs to be washed again (I washed it last night.) I thought Acura service was supposed to be better than this (my grille is still loose from the foglight install)? I wish there were other acura dealers around here.

Have any of you guys had your oil changed at an Acura dealer before 5k?
Old 09-25-2003, 03:38 PM
Advanced

Why not change it yourself?
Old 09-25-2003, 03:39 PM
Racer

Originally posted by TheDude
Why not change it yourself?
No, I would much rather have the dealer do it. Just for warranty reasons.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Does the TSX come with synthetic oil from the factory? How long do you plan to keep your car?

C.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Cargo Net install/dealer wouldn't change my oil..

Originally posted by ssm_tsx
I just got back from taking my tsx to have the oil changed/cargo net installed......
Which dealer are you going to? I recommend (not Karen) Radley in Falls Church. A bit of a drive for you, but maybe it's worth it.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:14 PM
Advanced

Changing your own oil won't void your warranty.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm sure if you insist on changing your oil they can't say 'NO'?
Old 09-25-2003, 05:05 PM
Houston we have a problem

I changed at a dealer @ 2.3K miles. The car is still working now...
Old 09-25-2003, 06:04 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WTF go back and demand they change the oil. Matter of fact go back to the same person. When he gives you shit tell him to get his boss. His boss will get your oil changed(maybe for free) then smack the other guy for not wanting to take your money.

Then call and leave a message at corporate.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:05 PM
Audi Driving Snob

when i went to the dealer to get mine changed at like 4800 the guy was like "you don't buy the extending intervals either eh?" I'm going synthetic next time i need a change. at 7300 now and the oil still looking new.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:57 PM
Instructor

Perhaps the dealer's just trying to save the guy from throwing away his money. Of course, if he insists they should change the oil, then they should, but they're probably trying to point out that it just isn't necessary.

My question to any one of you who like to change your oil at minimal mileages - how long do you expect to own your car?

Realize that the 3k oil change interval is a peculiarly American tradition, IMO perpetrated by marketing.

C. <-- synthetic oil, extended intervals, maybe it'll shorten the motor's life from 200k miles to 150k and maybe not. Either way, I don't care.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:27 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I (my grille is still loose from the foglight install)? I wish there were other acura dealers around here.

I had the dealer install foglights when I bought the car. Then, a week later, I'm driving on the highway and I heard FLAP FLAP FLAP. I get out, and find that the splash guard underneath the car (not the mudflaps, the plastic piece under the car that protects the engine from road debris) had fallen off, and riped out the lining on the two wheel wells. I had to drive to a nearby dealer to get it fixed (I was perhaps 60 miles north of town at the time). Anyway, I am pretty sure that the dealer caused the problem by doing an improper installation. So, I am no longer willing to take my car there for service.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Cargo Net install/dealer wouldn't change my oil..

Originally posted by darth62
I had the dealer install foglights when I bought the car. Then, a week later, I'm driving on the highway and I heard FLAP FLAP FLAP. I get out, and find that the splash guard underneath the car (not the mudflaps, the plastic piece under the car that protects the engine from road debris) had fallen off, and riped out the lining on the two wheel wells. I had to drive to a nearby dealer to get it fixed (I was perhaps 60 miles north of town at the time). Anyway, I am pretty sure that the dealer caused the problem by doing an improper installation. So, I am no longer willing to take my car there for service.
I feel your pain. This year I have had numerous problems with my car, almost ALL caused by the dealer.

First they damaged a wheel while I was having tires mounted. Then when they refinished the wheel, they damaged the tire. (They bought me an all new wheel and tire, but the finish peeled off the first replacement wheel.)

Then I took the car in to have the window adjusted (was making a noise at the top of its travel and in fixing that they damaged the door trim. The had to replace the entire door panel (including speaker and airbag - cost about $800) and now the whole door panel/window rattles over bumps.

Almost none of this was an intrinsic problem of the car. Still they've always made good on their screw ups (eventually) and they're the only dealer in the area, so I try to avoid screaming at them.

C.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:53 PM
Racer

Originally posted by chrisalberts
Perhaps the dealer's just trying to save the guy from throwing away his money. Of course, if he insists they should change the oil, then they should, but they're probably trying to point out that it just isn't necessary.

My question to any one of you who like to change your oil at minimal mileages - how long do you expect to own your car?

Realize that the 3k oil change interval is a peculiarly American tradition, IMO perpetrated by marketing.

C. <-- synthetic oil, extended intervals, maybe it'll shorten the motor's life from 200k miles to 150k and maybe not. Either way, I don't care.

He gave the me the "Acura uses a break in oil and it's too early to be removed" excuse. I understand that, but I really wanted the oil changed. My oil is very dark, and the engine has a rough sound to it.

As far as going 5K between changes I have no problems with it, unless the oil is very dark. I personally like the 5k changes, as I have my tires rotated also. If the oil wasn't as dark as it is now I would have never made the appointment. The oil in my car has also been there since March. Oh well...
Old 09-25-2003, 09:00 PM
Advanced

OK, since you're afraid to change your oil, how about going to an oil change shop?
Old 09-25-2003, 09:02 PM
Racer

Originally posted by TheDude
OK, since you're afraid to change your oil, how about going to an oil change shop?

I never said I was afraid to change my oil. I would rather leave the oil in there till 10K than take it to a oil change shop. I feel better having people that actually know my car working on it.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:27 PM
Advanced

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just check the oil level afterwards and the filter. But I will re-emphasize that the dealer cannot void your warranty for changing your own oil.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:57 PM
Burning Brakes

No amount of marketing ever convinced me to change my oil as frequently as I do. I change it every 2500 miles. I've been doing that for 20 years.

My previous Accords' engines have so far lasted over 200,000 miles and are still running strong. None of the oil was synthetic, ever.

I'll leave my TSX original factory oil in place 'til the 5000 mark, however. Afterwards, I'll change it at 7500, 10000, 12500, etc.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:12 AM
Intermediate

My dealer gave me a free oil change card for use at 1500 miles. Thinking it's a way to get the car back in for a quick inspection since I was told it will take two hours.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:25 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Brad
No amount of marketing ever convinced me to change my oil as frequently as I do. I change it every 2500 miles. I've been doing that for 20 years.
OK, I'll bite. Why do you think it's beneficial? And do you use regular or synthetic oil?

C.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:14 AM
VTECSTASY!

I just got back from taking my tsx to have the oil changed/cargo net installed. They installed the cargo net ($38.00) but wouldn't change my oil. I've got 3600 miles on my car and the service advisor said it was too soon. I guess I'll just have it done at 5,000 miles. I asked them not to wash my car and they didn't, they just sprayed half of the rear end. It looks like crap now, and needs to be washed again (I washed it last night.) I thought Acura service was supposed to be better than this (my grille is still loose from the foglight install)? I wish there were other acura dealers around here.

WHOA! where have you guys been??? Theres a special additive in your oil specifically for the break-in period. According to the dealer, the first oil change is supposed to be at 10K miles! Depending on your driving style. I drive a little aggresive, so I changed mine at 7000. Im surprised nobody brought this up!!
Old 09-26-2003, 09:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

dang one of the dealers quote me 80/hr install for cargo net! said would take up to 3 hours. WTF LOL
Old 09-26-2003, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

OK, I'll bite. Why do you think it's beneficial? And do you use regular or synthetic oil?

C.
You'll bite what?

We're going back 20 years, so I don't precisely recall all of my sources of information.

I use regular oil.

My oil change interval is based on recommendations. I've personally known people who know a car's engine inside and out who recommend frequent oil changes. I've also read articles by experts in the field and about other people who have had their cars a lonnnnng time. The common thread is frequent oil changes.

Do you have information that frequent oil changes is of absolutely no benefit?

In recent years, due to so-called environmental reasons, some people in the field have suggested somewhat less frequent oil changes, such as every 3000-6000 miles.

Marketing isn't a factor in my decision. I keep my cars a long time, and I know what works for me. Maintenance is a major contributor.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:07 AM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

What's the recommendation for low mileage driving conditions? Like I just mentioned on another thread, I live just a few miles from work and have only put about 1500 miles on in three months. I think my "free coupon" for the first oil change at my dealer expires in October, well before I'll be at 5k or maybe even 3k miles.

Does the old "three months OR three thousand miles" still hold true? I still start/stop my car 2-6 times a day even though I don't put many miles on the odometer. Someone at my dealership called and left a message a few weeks ago, but I couldn't get back in touch with that individual to see what they wanted. Presumbably it was to schedule an oil change or checkup?
Old 09-26-2003, 11:29 AM
Advanced

Let me get this straight. You are at dealership getting other stuff done and you ask for an oil change over 3,000 miles and they say --too soon. Well, that is a funny way to run a business.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by inkytawney
Let me get this straight. You are at dealership getting other stuff done and you ask for an oil change over 3,000 miles and they say --too soon. Well, that is a funny way to run a business.
I don't know if I would call it a funny way to run a business. Some businesses are more honest than others, whereas other businesses will sell you anything, anywhere, anyhow, and anyway they can.

**Also, remember that some auto service "write-up" personel are on commissions and have goals against which they are measured.**

Clearly, it's unclear or controversial about this "break-in" oil period. On this forum, we have seen a full array of opinions, insight, and conjecture, regardless of what's published. If the Acura recommendation is credible, then what about their other scheduled maitenance items?

For example, beyond the "break-in" oil issue, the Acura maitenence schedule is controversial, especially its schedule for routine oil and oil filter changes. That could be for technical reasons, or that could be for marketing reasons. I don't know how to determine that.

Marketing would likely rejoice in saying something like, "See how easy it is to own an Acura given its low-maintenance schedule!" In fact, Acura's marketing material specifically mentions low maintenance. Is this marketing fluff or a technical feat--or both?

On the other hand, my own salesperson suggested that a more frequent oil and oil filter change--something like every 5,000 miles--would be more appropriate.

Conjecture, experience, opinions, guess-work, marketing fluff, technical feats, and hard facts have made the issue very muddy and grey.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:47 PM
Racer

Re: Re: Cargo Net install/dealer wouldn't change my oil..

Originally posted by onenonlieTSX
WHOA! where have you guys been??? Theres a special additive in your oil specifically for the break-in period. According to the dealer, the first oil change is supposed to be at 10K miles! Depending on your driving style. I drive a little aggresive, so I changed mine at 7000. Im surprised nobody brought this up!!

No, the first oil change is supposed to be at 5K if you're on the severe schedule.

As for the cargo net it took all of 30 minutes for them to install it.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:38 PM
such a dirty birdy

I hate to interrupt yet another good oil change debate, but what's the deal with the cargo net? Why would it need to be installed? There's four metal loops in the floor of the trunk. Don't you just clip a net onto them? How hard is that?
Old 09-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by majormojo
I hate to interrupt yet another good oil change debate, but what's the deal with the cargo net? Why would it need to be installed? There's four metal loops in the floor of the trunk. Don't you just clip a net onto them? How hard is that?
The TSX doesn't ship from the factory with the loop/hooks that the cargo net requires. (I think that the CL or TL do, but not the TSX.)

The TSX's cargo net requires some holes to be drilled into the wall of the trunk, whereupon some hooks snap into place.

I have a cargo net, and I don't like the central position of the net--right in the middle of the trunk. I recall seeing other vehicles with cargo nets closer to the rear of the car. (Toyota's IS300 comes to mind.) I also wish that the TSX's cargo net was deeper.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:19 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally posted by Count Blah
Does the old "three months OR three thousand miles" still hold true? I still start/stop my car 2-6 times a day even though I don't put many miles on the odometer. Someone at my dealership called and left a message a few weeks ago, but I couldn't get back in touch with that individual to see what they wanted. Presumbably it was to schedule an oil change or checkup?
Wow, I guess I just revived this thread from the dead.

It's been nearly 7 months and I've still put just under 3500 miles on it. Time for an oil change? I guess I should just call the dealer and see what they say.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:30 AM
Burning Brakes

My Acura dealer suggests 5,000 miles, but what about time vs miles? In Blah's case it's been 7 months. I've had mine for 4 months and have about the same mileage as Blah. I was just going to wait 'til I hit 5,000 miles.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i changed my oil around 3.5k and 7k...service dude didnt say anything except how i liked my tsx so far. just tell them you are an aggressive driver so you want to follow a agressive oil change schedule as well. at 10k change i'm gonna bring my own oil in, prolly some synthetic oil
Old 01-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Dont imitatate/duplicate!

Hey SSM where did you ge the cargo net installed? here in seattle it cost around 89 bucks~!