Carbon Gray vs Black - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 02:38 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carbon Gray vs Black - Questions

Well i like both colors and both look tight. I actually like the Carbon Gray slightly better because its not black and there are a lot of black cars out there. However i like better on the TSX better because its seems around 40% drive the Carbon Gray. (Estimate from the other topic up there where tsx owners posted their colors and etc.) The other 40% being silver and the 20% others. So now im in a dilemma. I was hoping that Carbon Gray would only look good in pictures but i liked it when i went to see it. So i have a few questions.

1) People always say black cars are hard to keep clean. Isn't the Carbon Gray about the same? I mean its just as shiny?

2) Scratches show every easily in Black cars. Again how is it with the Carbon Gray? Is the same, worse, or better?

3) Swirl Marks. Again what's better black or carbon gray.

4) Dents. Im guessing both would show pretty easily. Carbon gray might show just a little bit less but im guessing with minimal difference that it won't prolly matter?

Im hoping someone who drove a black car before and who currently owns a carbon gray can answer this. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:09 AM
wiz
Pro

Re: Carbon Gray vs Black - Questions

I guess since I own a Carbon Grey, I can answer some of your questions. I've never owned a black car, but I've washed and taken care of many of them before though (family's, friend's, etc.)

1) People always say black cars are hard to keep clean. Isn't the Carbon Gray about the same? I mean its just as shiny?

Well, the Carbon Grey does show some dirt, but not nearly as much as a black car. For instance, yesterday afternoon a friend of mine walked up to my car and was commenting on how clean it was looking and asked if I washed it again. I haven't washed it in a week and it's been raining about every other day this week. It seems to hide the light dirt well, but if you get it really dirty, of course you're going to be able to see it (although most every color car is like this).

2) Scratches show every easily in Black cars. Again how is it with the Carbon Gray? Is the same, worse, or better?

Well I have yet to get a scratch on my car, only one little dent.

This is the big thing, I don't think I've noticed any swirl marks at all on my car. My brother in-law has a 2000 BMW 323i, and it's black and shows major swirlmarks, even after we washed and waxed it. My car, we just wash it and it looks like it came right from the dealer every time.

4) Dents. Im guessing both would show pretty easily. Carbon gray might show just a little bit less but im guessing with minimal difference that it won't prolly matter?

I had a dent in my passenger door for about 2 weeks before I even saw it, and I actually walk around my car a lot looking at it. It's a small dent and you either have to be in a spot where there's a hell of a lot of reflection on the door, or be at an angle to see the dent. I can tell that the dent was made by a door of another car that hit my door. That's life though, and since I didn't catch the person in the act, nothing I can do now. It's small though and not that bothersome.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Having only owned dark-colored cars, I can vouch for the sensitivity to scratches. However, IMHO, I think the TSX looks best in its darker variants. I think the dark colors (Arctic Blue, Nighthawk Black) allow the chrome accents to pop a little.

When I put down the cash for my black TSX, I told the salesman about my unease regarding the color choice. He said that the non-metallic black on BMWs was even worse at showing scratches. In his opinion, the metallic element of the Nighthawk Black PEARL breaks up the finish enough to camoflage slight scratches or swirl marks. Personally, I don't buy it.

The other thing to consider is the length of time you'll be keeping the car. My six year old Passat is definitely showing it's age from the number of scratches. But if you're the type to lease a car for three years or so, I say go for whatever color you want.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Racer

Well i plan to keep the car for about 4-5 years. Then resell it. So it will matter. I personally think CG is slightly better then black. However i love how both looks. CG it seems might have the advantage of scratches and car washes however it is offset by the fact that MOST TSX drivers drive Carbon Gray. I wish to be a little different. Im still thinking what color i should choose. Maybe i should just call the dealership and whatever they can come up with first i should get? Black or Carbon Gray?

Otherwise anyone have a really good reason why i should go with whatever color?
Old 07-13-2003, 12:52 PM
8th Gear

A lot of TSX owners may have CG. However, cars with colors in the variance of CG are a lot less common than those with black on the road.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:55 PM
Racer

Originally posted by TXSMAYBESO
A lot of TSX owners may have CG. However, cars with colors in the variance of CG are a lot less common than those with black on the road.
True. However a TSX is a TSX and will be different then other cars that are black. I guess it all depends on how many TSXs actually sell to make a difference.

I also heard an opinion from a girl that the Carbon Gray looked like a girl color... or at least a guy who couldn't choose silver or black completely and went inbetween Kind of funny actually. I don't really think its true as i like how the Carbon Gray looks. But if a lot of girls get the TSX then chooses that color, that would definitly suck.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:15 PM
More On

Originally posted by finalheaven
...]I also heard an opinion from a girl that the Carbon Gray looked like a girl color... or at least a guy who couldn't choose silver or black completely and went inbetween Kind of funny actually. I don't really think its true as i like how the Carbon Gray looks. But if a lot of girls get the TSX then chooses that color, that would definitly suck.
Nah, it won't suck. I doubt a lot of chix will pick CG, and if they do, they'll look like guy wannabes.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:24 PM
wiz
Pro

I agree with larch, I think CG is a darker color and not really a color for your average woman. Most women will go with the Pearl White, Arctic Blue, and the Meteor Silver IMHO. However, who cares if one "girl" thinks the CG is a female color...do you really weigh her opinion that greatly?

See them both in person, and make your decision then. That is the only way you'll be happy, otherwise you will always be second guessing the decision you made without seeing one in person.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:26 PM
More On

Originally posted by wiz
......Most women will go with the Pearl White, Arctic Blue, and the Meteor Silver.....
Don't forget "Milano Red," the chickest of all the chick colors.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:30 PM
wiz
Pro

Originally posted by larchmont
Don't forget "Milano Red," the chickest of all the chick colors.
I dunno about that...if the Milano Red would have had Ebony inteior as a choice, I think a lot more people would buy it. However yes, it is a chick color as well.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:35 PM
Racer

Originally posted by wiz
See them both in person, and make your decision then. That is the only way you'll be happy, otherwise you will always be second guessing the decision you made without seeing one in person.
I have seen both in person. I like them both. My problems are just the ones all written above and i can't still seem to make up my mind.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:45 PM
wiz
Pro

I have seen both in person. I like them both. My problems are just the ones all written above and i can't still seem to make up my mind.
Ahh, well I see. In that case good luck on your choice, and I really do not think you can go wrong either way.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:55 PM
Racer

Yea but i wish that more people would answer my 4 questions in my 1st post before i decide. For now im going to call back my dealer tomorrow and tell him to look for a Black or a Carbon Gray.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea but i wish that more people would answer my 4 questions in my 1st post before i decide. For now im going to call back my dealer tomorrow and tell him to look for a Black or a Carbon Gray.
Dude just pick the color that makes you happiest. Don't be concerned with which color everyone else is driving. This car is in such limited supply none of that will matter. And if the consensus is that the TSX looks best in Carbon Gray, which is true, then what do you think that'll do for your resale prospects down the road. Not that I think black looks bad, in fact I love the TSX in black, but the CG is a more sophisticated color. That and the great interior choices.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:27 PM
wiz
Pro

Originally posted by Jason
Dude just pick the color that makes you happiest. Don't be concerned with which color everyone else is driving. This car is in such limited supply none of that will matter. And if the consensus is that the TSX looks best in Carbon Gray, which is true, then what do you think that'll do for your resale prospects down the road. Not that I think black looks bad, in fact I love the TSX in black, but the CG is a more sophisticated color. That and the great interior choices.
It's like he's reading my mind.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:53 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Jason
Dude what makes me happy is not having a car color that everyone else has also. My first post was just about asking people if they can answer my 4 questions. As for resell i don't think that will matter much... the difference between those 2 colors that is. Either ways i like both. I plan to get ebony however in both cars and since i want my car earliest as possible, i will ask the dealer whatever they find first i'll buy.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:03 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude what makes me happy is not having a car color that everyone else has also. My first post was just about asking people if they can answer my 4 questions. As for resell i don't think that will matter much... the difference between those 2 colors that is. Either ways i like both. I plan to get ebony however in both cars and since i want my car earliest as possible, i will ask the dealer whatever they find first i'll buy.
Dude ok, I'm trying to help. I just don't understand the logic of trying to avoid a color that others have bought on a limited edition car. Especially if the CG looks the best. Besides, your four questions were answered and the answers are probably what you expected. Try to figure out which color you like best, and if you can't make a decision then you're doing the right thing by letting the dealer "decide." Of course, if both cars are available at the same time, that little strategy is out the window!
Old 07-13-2003, 03:17 PM
More On

Originally posted by wiz
It's like he's reading my mind.
Jason is a person of peculiar talents, didn't you know?

About answering the 4 questions, sounds like FH is trying to be Jewish.
(We'll pass over that one.)

But, FH, maybe take it this way. People might not always reply in exactly the form or format that we asked for, but so what? We don't have to be that obsessive about it. Mind you, I myself am like that at times, but we have to fight against it to be more reasonable. Isn't it good enough when people just address what we are talking about, even if it's in a different form?

Sites are for people to express themselves how they feel like it, and hopefully there's enough overlap for everyone to be reasonably happy. On here, there certainly is. So, if when people are replying to you, they are maybe putting it in a different form than you did, they're just expressing themselves.

Which I would say is good.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:20 PM
More On

P.S. I better say, that thing up there wasn't a slur, just a little inside joke that people of "that persuasion" (like myself) will probably understand -- probably a lot of others too.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:27 PM
wiz
Pro

Originally posted by larchmont
P.S. I better say, that thing up there wasn't a slur, just a little inside joke that people of "that persuasion" (like myself) will probably understand -- probably a lot of others too.
You might have gotten an uproar about that comment if you didn't post this follow up.

Yeah, Jason and I have that CG/Quartz connection...it's pretty strong.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Carbon Gray vs Black - Questions

Im hoping someone who drove a black car before and who currently owns a carbon gray can answer this.

Previously, I drove and maintained a black CL (owned by my parents). I now have a CG TSX.

Black's hard to keep clean because it's black. All the dust and dirt and waterspots, etc are lighter than black so they show up well on it. CG is still a pretty dark color, so you'll have a similar problem. Not quite as bad, though, because it's *not* black.

Same answer as 1. Scratches usually show up white. If you've ever had your car keyed, you'll know what I'm talking about. CG will be a little bit better, but not by much. You will DEFINITELY see a moderately deep scratch in either color.

Swirl Marks are just really shallow scratches made by the owner's misuse of car care products. Same answer applies.

I don't think color matters much as far as dents go. With any color you have, you can still see that the surface is not flat from the right angle. If anything, I think a white car would mask this the best.

Well i like both colors and both look tight. I actually like the Carbon Gray slightly better because its not black and there are a lot of black cars out there. However i like better on the TSX better because its seems around 40% drive the Carbon Gray. (Estimate from the other topic up there where tsx owners posted their colors and etc.) The other 40% being silver and the 20% others. So now im in a dilemma. I was hoping that Carbon Gray would only look good in pictures but i liked it when i went to see it.

CG looks good in more than just pictures. Trust me. But NBP is very sharp, too. However, Jason is right: stop worrying about what everyone else has and what everyone else thinks. Make the decision based on what YOU like about each color.

Edit: CG/QZ =
Old 07-14-2003, 10:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My buddy has a Prelude that is black and his definitely shows the marks close up, but at a distance, his looks a lot sweeter than my CG.

The CG, in the same comparison, looks to show dirt more than my buddy's Prelude at the same distance, so I have to say black isn't as bad as people are making it. My CG is normally garage kept, but I get get a lot of dust since I'm in a new development whereas my buddy isn't. Either way, if you are worried about frequency of cleaning, get a SSM. If you want a car that looks amazing, get the black.

I got the CG because I thought everyone would own a black one and found out the CG is like everywhere. I liked the CG's ability to change colors in shade, direct light and at night.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:09 PM
Racer

I called the dealer as he needs to do trades to get either the black or the carbon gray with nav. I told him whatever he finds first is fine with me. I'll take it one as soon as he can find one. I like or LOVE both colors and i will be very satisfied with both. The wait is just what is killing me. The TSX in either colors will look great to me.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:19 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
i have a black acura.

DONT DO IT.

acuras paint SUCKS. and the black is very hard to keep looking good after some time.

especially if you experience extreme sun or snow.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by soopa
i have a black acura.

DONT DO IT.

acuras paint SUCKS. and the black is very hard to keep looking good after some time.

especially if you experience extreme sun or snow.
I don't think it's THAT bad. You just have to watch out for swirl marks. But when it's clean....