Car Shopping Blues - Consumer Reports?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 04:45 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theoryzero
By the way, how often does this scenario happen, this is the first time I am buying a new new car. I requested an internet quote from a dealer in December and after the auto-generated email nothing happened, no quote. I emailed the person back a week later asking for a quote and if I could drive the car. They call me and give the quote over the phone, did not say anything about how long that price is good for.

So I drove the car, drove some others, go back last night and it has been maybe 12 days since I got the original quote. Now they say they probably can't do that quote anymore (I thought it was too good to be true, so not TOO surprised).

Is this a common thing to happen? Feels like they roped me in and want to screw me over now that I am interested. They said that was end of December when I got the quote and they wanted to boost their numbers, but now it is January and they don't care. I can understand that, but you'd think they would stand by their quote.
They wouldn't e-mail the quote b/c that would put it in writing.
If they don't honor the quote now, I wouldn't do business, I'd bet they will do that number come end of Jan---to yet again boost the numbers.

If they won't honor the number, go else where.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrChad
They wouldn't e-mail the quote b/c that would put it in writing.
If they don't honor the quote now, I wouldn't do business, I'd bet they will do that number come end of Jan---to yet again boost the numbers.

If they won't honor the number, go else where.
Does it really boost the numbers if the car doesn't arrive for another month or two? Putting down a deposit is considered a sale?

TZ
Old 01-06-2005, 04:59 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally Posted by theoryzero
Does it really boost the numbers if the car doesn't arrive for another month or two? Putting down a deposit is considered a sale?

TZ

Not that I'm aware of...but someone from a dealership would need to answer that question.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:20 AM
Advanced

Definitely the TSX. If you care about reliability and long-term cost of ownership, there is no substitute for a JDM Honda/Acura, except for a JDM Toyota. Mazda isn't in the ballpark.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Advanced

Thanks to everyone for the replies in this thread. I made a decision and put down a desposit for a 2005 SSM/Ebony AT with Navi. I did the "fax attack" with all the dealers within 300 miles and the best deal happened to be the one closest to me. I was amazed no one wanted to beat the deal, maybe these cars are harder to get in my area than other areas like the east or west coast. Price was $28,460 + ttl. Only sad part its ETA is not yet determined, possibly March. I just hope the old car can make it that long!

TZ
Old 01-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Intermediate

[QUOTE=darth62]You have to treat CR as one source of information. In the past, I have made the mistake of treating their recommendations as "law" and I don't think that is the case anymore. Their data are good, but other sources of information matter.

I also used to put too much weight on CR. In fact, a while back it was a big part for why I purchased a VW Passat 1.8t. They recommended it for like 3 years in a row. I think they still do - although the reliability (as you'd expect has dropped)

I had nothing but problems with my VW - it was always in the shop until it got stolen out of the dealership while in for a routine oil change (by the way the dealers all suck - mine didn't even apologize -and i had purchased my car there too) - fyi the audi 1.8t is the same problematic engine vw puts in jettas and 4 cyl passats - that engine should be put to sleep

Anyway - what i came to learn is that the way CR rates cars is strange. They hardly put any weight on reliability - which to most car owners is at the top of their list, their reliability is only somewhat accurate because of the lag time between customer census and there reports, and they also don't rate dealership experiences

lesson - take CR with a grain of salt

good luck
Old 01-11-2005, 08:09 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally Posted by Jim Holloman
What is the basic difference between a cast crankshaft and a forged crandshaft.

A forged crankshaft is stronger than a cast crankshaft.

The BMW 323i/325i has a cast crankshaft. The BMW 328i/330i has a forged crankshaft.

As they are sweeping the last of the "Classic" E46 3-Series out the door to make room for the new E90s, there are some absolutely amazing deals to be had ($6000 off sticker) if you're willing to drive last-year's BMW.