Car bashing is getting old

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003 | 09:08 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Car bashing is getting old

Some have posted this site is going downhill. I agree.

Everyday I log in here to find a new thread about how crappy BMW, or Merc, or Audi is and how much better Acura is. How people who buy german cars do it for snob appeal, they those cars are just overpriced POS. I am not taling about informed discussions about one cars advantages or differences...I am talking about uniformed trash talking. Are we all that insecure that we need to harp on this every day? Are we that ignorant that we cant appreciate how good a BMW or Merc, or Audi is? Is anyone else getting tired of this?

The site went from open minded, intelligent discussion with a reasonable amount of Acura/TSX bias..... to complete uneducated insecure babling. Its worse than the audi or bmw sites, and as someon who knows enough about cars,...its embarrassing.

Anyways, this is my opinion and just wanted to vent. This is NOT a BMW vs Acura thread.
Old 08-06-2003 | 09:18 AM
Intermediate

Couldn't agree with you more, fdl.

I just joined the group here within the last week, as I just purchased a TSX. I had been reading up on the car for several weeks and used this site to help me make my decision that the TSX was right for me. Even in the past week or so, the discussions have turned into trash-talking, as you suggest.

I myself will probably always by Honda/Acura/Japanese cars since I think their reliability is unparalleled. However, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Saab, Infiniti are all good cars. I would prefer to read about INFORMED opinions instead of just nonsense like "BMW sucks" or "Mercedes are for snobs"...

Glad you made this post, as I was thinking this for the last several days.
Old 08-06-2003 | 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Ever since the second Jason became a moderator, this site has been going downhill!

Old 08-06-2003 | 09:26 AM
Racer

i'm w/ you fdl... that's why i never comment on those trash talking threads (at least i don't intentionally). lets get above and beyond the snobs at the other forums and not join in their game. lets be more mature than that... b/c honestly bmw/mb>acura believe it or not.
Old 08-06-2003 | 09:30 AM
Instructor

I think what the problem is, is that a lot of the topics have been already discussed and are repeated, so some get bored and have to think of something to start a discussion about (whether it be good or bad). Just my opinion. But I do see things going downhill recently.
Old 08-06-2003 | 09:30 AM
Racer

Here! Here!

Obviously, my preference for "one of those euro cars" has been well publicized here at A-TSX. What has mystified me is not only the level of insecurity but also the complaints about hearing positive things about other cars and how they compare to the TSX. I have said dozens of times here that I think the TSX is a nice car for what it is - it's just not what I particularily want in my next car - which I thought might be interesting coming from the perspective of a very happy Acura CL-S owner.

I know the TSX has been brought up on other boards (especially the one that focus on the car I am going to buy next) and generally the opinions are the same - a nice car but it's missing <insert pet peeve here>.

A good car begs to be driven. A great car take you away "to that somewhere special - away from the hum-drum world of everyday life (no pun intended). Whether the car you choose is high on reliability, provides low-end torque or high revving top-end, comes with a "perceived" prestige value or not, what's most important is the smile on your face every time you open the door or turn the ignition to hear that engine (turbo or otherwise) sing.

Peace!
Old 08-06-2003 | 09:48 AM
Pro

93K - from what I remember, you (and many others) have been very rational and described in detail what the plus/minus of the cars have been. However, there have been several others that have not been so rational. Personally, I find blind adherence to a product both sad and amusing. While I believe that the best car (for me) is the TSX, I still acknowledge that it is not "the best" at every single thing. It is this simple act of acknowledgement that so many seem to find so difficult, no matter whether the TSX is the "best" car for them or some other brand.
Old 08-06-2003 | 10:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by vitocorleone
93K - from what I remember, you (and many others) have been very rational and described in detail what the plus/minus of the cars have been. However, there have been several others that have not been so rational. Personally, I find blind adherence to a product both sad and amusing. While I believe that the best car (for me) is the TSX, I still acknowledge that it is not "the best" at every single thing. It is this simple act of acknowledgement that so many seem to find so difficult, no matter whether the TSX is the "best" car for them or some other brand.
OK, but he's been describing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. So I would vote him into the "getting old" category.

BTW, I did type all those "and over" in without copying and pasting.
Old 08-06-2003 | 10:11 AM
Racer

but he's been describing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again
Yeah, but what you're missing is the fact people consistently ask why I feel the way I do about the car I have chosen AND people consistently make false assumptions about things that if they bothered to do a little research would not is just not the case -which I think fdl eluded to.

Oh, btw, I did use copy and paste for your over and over. Did someone have to hit you on the back to stop the skipping?
Old 08-06-2003 | 10:16 AM
Instructor

I heard somewhere that Saab 9-3's were pieces of crap. And that night panel... WTF? Who wants a bunch of dead gauges?

Okay... just kidding.

I think all the car bashing talk makes for an interesting read. I also think some of the culprits aren't old enough to drive yet anyway.

But seriously, 93Kewl- Just a point of clarification... were you ever considering buying a TSX?
Old 08-06-2003 | 10:19 AM
Audi Driving Snob

honeslty i can't think of any car site where discussion and arguement isn't part of the equation. It's only natural. You can tell people why <insert car here> isn't the right car for you, which is a valid opinion; but you have to expect people to interject their own opinions on why they disagree with you. To be honest i haven't read though all the threads where that kind of discussion has taken place so i'm only assuming everything was kept civil.... you'll also note that keeping it all civil is the reason there is no tsx vs. all forum. Time slips only
Old 08-06-2003 | 10:20 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I think the Saab discussions were some of the more intelligent and reasonable of the TSX vs world (for the most part).

But on that note.... please dont turn this into a TSX vs Saab thread or I will have to kill myself.
Old 08-06-2003 | 10:24 AM
Racer

I heard somewhere that Saab 9-3's were pieces of crap. And that night panel... WTF? Who wants a bunch of dead gauges?

Okay... just kidding.
Ouch!

But seriously, 93Kewl- Just a point of clarification... were you ever considering buying a TSX?
Yes, definately. I gave it the benefit of the doubt being an Acura product. For a short time I was considering a V6 Accord Ex Coupe then wanted to see/t-drive first hand the TSX. It was in the mix with the 9-3, G35 Coupe, Audi A4 3.0, MB C240. The rest is history.....
Old 08-06-2003 | 10:28 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by TinkySD
honeslty i can't think of any car site where discussion and arguement isn't part of the equation. It's only natural. You can tell people why <insert car here> isn't the right car for you, which is a valid opinion; but you have to expect people to interject their own opinions on why they disagree with you. To be honest i haven't read though all the threads where that kind of discussion has taken place so i'm only assuming everything was kept civil.... you'll also note that keeping it all civil is the reason there is no tsx vs. all forum. Time slips only
There is nothing wrong with discussing cars , but as I said in my posts its coming here every day to hear people who know nothing, talk about why car x is a POS and their TSX is gods gift to the driver. Its getting old and IMO is a step in a bad direction.
Old 08-06-2003 | 10:31 AM
Pro

I am with you all the way on this one! I was looking through the forum yesterday and did not find anything I wanted to click on, becuase it was all about the who's better, which is better, why this why that.
Old 08-06-2003 | 10:38 AM
wiz
Pro

The way I see it, the best way to deal with the rest of the site when the car bashings begin is to not respond to the thread. Eventually it will die on it's on, but there's no reason to fuel the fire anymore, IMHO.
Old 08-06-2003 | 10:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I have'nt found anything worthwhile to click on in 4 days, except the Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil thread???
Old 08-06-2003 | 11:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by domn
I have'nt found anything worthwhile to click on in 4 days, except the Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil thread???
You obviously clicked this one!

Old 08-06-2003 | 12:17 PM
More On

Originally posted by TinkySD
......I haven't read though all the threads where that kind of discussion has taken place so i'm only assuming everything was kept civil......
I think that's right, and I don't see what the problem is. I agree with Wiz: If people aren't interested in a thread, they'll vote with their feet and it'll die of its own weight. If the thread is out of line, the mods will close it. If you want different kinds of threads, you can start them.

Yes, from what I can tell it's been civil. Except for this:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...8939#post18939

But I still say he's all right. (And you know, I think most people would basically agree with him.)
Old 08-06-2003 | 12:26 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

This is not so much about a thread not being civil. This is about a thread being dumb and useless. No let me rephrase that. THis is about LOTS of threads being dumb and useless. Its a a bad trend. If the site has nothing to offer but unknowledgable people arguing over stuff they know nothing about, then the site loses its value and people who actually have usefull things to say will stop coming here and posting here. I always thought this forum had a certain maturity that others didnt, but I guess the kids are finally arriving.

This is just my opinion.
Old 08-06-2003 | 12:36 PM
Audi Driving Snob

unfortunately that's just a normal evolution of a site. As more and more users show up you inevitably get soem bad eggs...or at least immature ones. We, as the admin/mod staff try and limit this but you have to make sure and not go too far overboard and over censor everything. I think this also has to do with the lull we are in right now in regards to tsx info. The car is out...no redesign on the horizon, no real mods out yet which only leaves a lot of time to discuss the car in relation to others. Things will pick up once comptech does there thing.
Old 08-06-2003 | 12:42 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Tinky..I hear ya. And I agree with you about lack of info right now. I just hope we can keep our TSX vs world discussions mature and knowledgeable and not have them being a useless car bashing circus.
Old 08-06-2003 | 12:52 PM
More On

Hey, Dom!

Sorry to be Off-Topic, but it sounded like you REALLY thought I was "Dixie Boy!"

Wasn't. I might have a strange sense of humor, but I'd never do anything like that. I would fuk with him, though.
Old 08-06-2003 | 01:06 PM
The Third Ball

I have to say, yes now that this site is picking the influx of stupid and useless threads will and are growing, but its the nature of the beast.

But I still this site has a maturity and a brotherhood that other forums do not. Even Acura-CL.com they have a become an "exclusive" site in how many of teh members deal and react with eachother. That forum also went through a recent period of super negativity. I still like the forums there and most people are nice, but this forum seems more accepting of all people then any other forum I've been to recently.

If you dont care for a thread then move on and leave it alone, no biggie. Just like anything else in life, you choose to participate.

PS: larchmont, i get your sense of humor i just happen to read the dixie thread post locking. You and your sense of humor are an asset to this site.

Cheers everyone.
Old 08-06-2003 | 01:11 PM
REI
Intermediate

I had noticed the car bashing as well and find it worthless.

Some people apparently come here to bait tsx owners and some of them fall for it. The thread from the alleged hillbilly in Alabama is an example. The person is putting you own. There are inconsistencies in his pseudo ignorant style that wouldn't be there if he were really that stupid.

Igore him and others with nothing better to do and they will back to AOL chat rooms.
Old 08-06-2003 | 01:13 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by REI
I had noticed the car bashing as well and find it worthless.

Some people apparently come here to bait tsx owners and some of them fall for it. The thread from the alleged hillbilly in Alabama is an example. The person is putting you own. There are inconsistencies in his pseudo ignorant style that wouldn't be there if he were really that stupid.

Igore him and others with nothing better to do and they will back to AOL chat rooms.

Ya, responding to obvious trolls is another pet peave of mine, but I dont even feel like getting into it right now.
Old 08-06-2003 | 01:15 PM
OG

Yeah yeah ...you guys are just waiting for the next big scoop on the TSX.
Old 08-06-2003 | 01:18 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by larchmont
Hey, Dom!

Sorry to be Off-Topic, but it sounded like you REALLY thought I was "Dixie Boy!"

Wasn't. I might have a strange sense of humor, but I'd never do anything like that. I would fuk with him, though.
I guess I misread it, but I honestly had a sneaking suspicsion you were Dixie Boy and just screwing with us. Either way I still think Dixie Boy is a member playing games. I mean come on, there's no way in hell someone actually talks like that and believes the BS that guy was typing. Yet the jackass still created 4 pages of debate, I could'nt believe it.....The mods got in way to late on that one and thats probly part of the reason fdl started THIS thread ???

Hmmmm, let me think, the only other whore I can think of that could pull that off is rzee ??
Old 08-06-2003 | 01:38 PM
More On

Originally posted by REI
.....The thread from the alleged hillbilly in Alabama is an example. The person is putting you on. There are inconsistencies in his pseudo ignorant style that wouldn't be there if he were really that stupid....
First of all -- Thanks, Sarlacc and Dom. I did think that maybe I was pushing it by pulling my game "up" to the level of Dixie Boy, but I never thought anybody would think he was me.

I basically agree with REI, but still it's hard to be sure. The first thing that tipped me off was just the TITLE of the thread. It might seem like nothing, but actually it's a masterful piece of provocative brevity -- plus, it has correct spelling and syntax, which you can't say for a lot of his posts. I strongly suspected it was one of our regulars or semi-regulars playing a game, but I wrote it off as over-suspiciousness on my part.

Careful about suspecting RZ, or anyone else, even in jest. It can be tough on you.
Old 08-06-2003 | 01:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Hmmmm, let me think, the only other whore I can think of that could pull that off is rzee ??
Dude! I am soooo insulted!!! The only thing that I care about here is IBTL!

If you ask me, my money is on soopa! Tinky Winky, can we have a ip check on isle 3 please??
Old 08-06-2003 | 01:50 PM
More On

Originally posted by sarlacc23
......still this site has a maturity and a brotherhood that other forums do not. Even Acura-CL.com they have a become an "exclusive" site in how many of teh members deal and react with eachother. That forum also went through a recent period of super negativity. I still like the forums there and most people are nice, but this forum seems more accepting of all people then any other forum I've been to recently......
True. About CL, I sensed that about their site when some of them came here, while their site was down. (Tried going over there when it came back on, just to look at it, but it wasn't possible to do it without registering. Again, in my very humble opinion, it's not a good idea to prevent "guests" from looking.) I saw how much of a sense of community they had, even when they were on a different site. I was glad to see it, and I thought it was great. But, they were so much into that, that for the most part they didn't much include us or reach out to us, even being on our site -- very "insular." That made me a little uncomfortable. I thought that if the tables were turned, for whatever it may be worth most of us would have handled it differently.

It's completely along the lines of what you said. I have no idea why the TSX and CL sites would have different ways in this respect. Probably just chance.
Old 08-06-2003 | 01:50 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Larch, I saw that Hillbilly posting as a joke right from the beggining just like REI said, it was obvious. So if it was a member, what's the big deal? it was funny and he obviously had some people fooled. It was all in fun, I mean seriously the Chevy Malibu ?? BTW, now called the Chevy Classic, I was almost rolling when I read that.

rzee, nothing personal, I was just pointing out that your a talented enough whore to pull that off.
Old 08-06-2003 | 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Larch, I saw that Hillbilly posting as a joke right from the beggining just like REI said, it was obvious. So if it was a member, what's the big deal? it was funny and he obviously had some people fooled. It was all in fun, I mean seriously the Chevy Malibu ?? BTW, now called the Chevy Classic, I was almost rolling when I read that.
I should've used Chevy Impala to make it more real, shouldn't I?

Errrr.. shit!! Domn, now you got me all confused! No! I did not do it!
Old 08-07-2003 | 02:32 AM
Instructor

I never started anything!!! I just respond to those who do!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2003 | 08:16 AM
Intermediate

I'm new and I also noticed a lot of bashing of the German cars going on.. I just ordered my TSX and the only other car I seriously considered was the G35. I originally wanted a 325 but did a little research and Consumer Report said that the BMW 3 series and Audi A4 are no longer recommended because of reliability concerns. And since they know way more about it than I do -- I ruled out the Bimmer and Audi cars for that alone. I chose to test drive the G35 and let me tell ya... it was SMOOTH and a rocket to boot. I thought it drove better and out performed the TSX on the test drive. But I loved the interior of the TSX much better, it's less expensive, and it's an Acura so you know you're getting quality. I'm not going to kid myself and say that it's far and away the best there is in it's class. Or that it may eventually become the 'bench mark' But it's a beautiful car with plenty of ponies for my driving style. If I wanted more of a sports car I'd have sacked-up and bought the G35 for another 7 grand.
Old 08-07-2003 | 08:22 AM
Racer

I love this group therapy stuff

Group hug on three....one...two..
Old 08-07-2003 | 08:26 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by myfirstacura
I'm new and I also noticed a lot of bashing of the German cars going on.. I just ordered my TSX and the only other car I seriously considered was the G35. I originally wanted a 325 but did a little research and Consumer Report said that the BMW 3 series and Audi A4 are no longer recommended because of reliability concerns. And since they know way more about it than I do -- I ruled out the Bimmer and Audi cars for that alone. I chose to test drive the G35 and let me tell ya... it was SMOOTH and a rocket to boot. I thought it drove better and out performed the TSX on the test drive. But I loved the interior of the TSX much better, it's less expensive, and it's an Acura so you know you're getting quality. I'm not going to kid myself and say that it's far and away the best there is in it's class. Or that it may eventually become the 'bench mark' But it's a beautiful car with plenty of ponies for my driving style. If I wanted more of a sports car I'd have sacked-up and bought the G35 for another 7 grand.
Larch, it looks like we found someone who values reliability first and foremost.

Welcome my first Acura and good choice. I think you hit the nail on the head with your TSX review. Is by far the best value around.
Old 08-07-2003 | 10:10 AM
More On

Larch, it looks like we found someone who values reliability first and foremost.

Welcome my first Acura and good choice. I think you hit the nail on the head with your TSX review. Is by far the best value around.
Hey, "myfirst"! As you might tell from what Dom said, I like how you think! IMHO, you did good.
Old 08-07-2003 | 01:17 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for welcoming me on board! I can't wait to pick mine up next week and REALLY have somethin' to talk about.

Quick Q if anyone can help me --- Is it worth 300 bones to add on the trunk mat, mud flaps and wheel locks? Is that just a way for the dealer to make a little extra or is that a good little investment. Reason why I ask is because my dealer told me that they ALWAYS add to those to each of their new cars before delivery. 'Sup with that?
Old 08-07-2003 | 01:37 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by myfirstacura
Thanks for welcoming me on board! I can't wait to pick mine up next week and REALLY have somethin' to talk about.

Quick Q if anyone can help me --- Is it worth 300 bones to add on the trunk mat, mud flaps and wheel locks? Is that just a way for the dealer to make a little extra or is that a good little investment. Reason why I ask is because my dealer told me that they ALWAYS add to those to each of their new cars before delivery. 'Sup with that?
He is just feeding you BS. There are no accessories that are added automatically. The dealer accesories are also way over priced. Out of those three the only one that I would say you should get is the wheel locks, but he should throw them in. The other accessories are really up to you if you want them, and if you do you should have tried to get him to throw them in as well. At the very least get them at a discount.

Quick Reply: Car bashing is getting old