car almost got "repo'd" has anyone ever had this happen to you before?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:06 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car almost got "repo'd" has anyone ever had this happen to you before?

so yesterday i was home in my room when all of a sudden my mom comes into my room and starts yelling at me to come outside and that they are stealing my car. i run outside and start yelling at the guy putting my car on the tow and i ask him wtf hes doin. he yells back im reposessing your car. i look at my mom and shes starts freaking out yelling in broken english at the guy about how we have never missed a payment lol. in short the guy says its just his job and takes the car away.

me and my mom run off to the bank and show them sent checks and also printed out the receipts from wachovias website. the banker lady says shes never seen this happen before and starts calling people.

long story short we end up staying at the bank for a couple hours and it turns out they made some computer error and our account ended up some how being 74 days without a payment. funny thing is we never got a letter or a call from the bank. i guess because we were making the payments on time and in full amount.

worst part is that i have no idea where they towed my car and the person on the phone who apologized said the repo company is closed for the weekend. so im without my car till monday. i hope they get this shit cleared with the credit bereau also. it would really fuck up my moms credit. :/
Old 11-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would be absolutely positively RIPSHIT. I'd have them compensate you somehow for the inconvenience and trouble they put you through. Don't let them get away with this...
Old 11-03-2007, 06:39 PM
is glad to be back!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ agreed! your situation is really fcuked up!! someone better pay up!!!!!
Old 11-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Poser / Fanboi

If you ever get to somebody trying to tow the car but they haven't made the hook ups yet, just get in the car and drive it away. Maybe they can stop you if it's a repo but I've done this before when I accidentally left my Bronco (long before the TSX) parked in a bad spot for too long. The guy who called the tow truck was screaming obscenities at me b/c if I drove off he'd have to pick up the tow truck tab. When the tow truck guy saw me coming he just backed off completely. I got away.

Oh, and what happened to you is totally messed up. You should get compensated, but don't expect anything back from a huge bank. They could give a rats ass.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Technically they STOLE your car ! Id be incredibly pissed ,,,, report it stolen.

Id expect some kind of compensation !.......................
Old 11-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hunterk1
If you ever get to somebody trying to tow the car but they haven't made the hook ups yet, just get in the car and drive it away. Maybe they can stop you if it's a repo but I've done this before when I accidentally left my Bronco (long before the TSX) parked in a bad spot for too long. The guy who called the tow truck was screaming obscenities at me b/c if I drove off he'd have to pick up the tow truck tab. When the tow truck guy saw me coming he just backed off completely. I got away.

They cant tow it if your in it befor he hooks it ....
Old 11-03-2007, 07:14 PM
SOLD

Depends on how far you want to take it, but that isn't right at all. I hate to say it, but this could be cause for a lawsuit.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Let's Go Pens

I would call the police and simply report my car as stolen.. Might help you get it back faster? Do you have lojack... probably not? but if you did they could locate your car in a second!
Old 11-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HI OFECR
Technically they STOLE your car ! Id be incredibly pissed ,,,, report it stolen.

Id expect some kind of compensation !.......................

Technically - the bank owns the car until you pay it off.... so could it be considered stolen if the bank took it?
Old 11-03-2007, 07:45 PM
2017 TLX TECH V6

Originally Posted by tnrsxs
Technically - the bank owns the car until you pay it off.... so could it be considered stolen if the bank took it?

A good question. Technically perhaps yes, because since the bank made an error the action they took has no legal pathway. The bank must pay for this error.
The bank put this guy and his mom through a hardship.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:53 PM
B A N N E D

yeah i missed an exam yesterday and i have to bum a ride to work tommorow. the lady that confirmed that it was a bank error was a complete b**** too. she was trying to make it sound like it was something we did -___- she said the bank has no power to compensate us for anything and that all they can do is keep calling the repo place and leaving a message. i wish there was more me and my family could do, they pretty much screwed us over and all theygave us was an unconvincing apology.

although the teller at the bank was very nice. she stayed an hour past closing time with us to get all this figured out and she wasnt even at her branch. im gonna bring her some chocalates or something to thank her.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

i would take this up with their corporate headquarters. your mom's credit is def. f'ed with a repossetion on her record now.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Man that is crazy. I'd be flippin out and definitely would expect some sort of compensation. I wonder if the bank was crediting the wrong account with your money, or if someone was stealing it....it certainly wouldn't be the first time a bank employee did that. Wow.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

That is some BS, I would have somebody pay dearly for what happened to you. I guess its time to open a can of whoop @$$.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Call a lawyer.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Racer

That's pretty fucked up.

I've never had my car repoed, but I did see some lady get her car repoed in front of me. I was sitting in a restaurant when I saw this lady park and walk into a Domino's pizza right next door. She was in there a whole 20 seconds when a tow truck backed up to the car and towed it in less than 30 seconds. The lady walked out 3 minutes later and just tossed her hands in the air in resignation and pull her celly out of her bag and call someone. LOL
Old 11-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't call the local underlings who aren't empowered to do anything. Talk to a corporate officer. Agent for service is a good start. Just an idea for you to consider, instead of dealing with your local bank's managers or tellers ... talk to the bank's agent for service, ask what the ramifications are of falsely reporting bad credit when the account is paid-current, wrongfully repossessing the car, and local agents refusing to make amends. A lawyer will only make this process go quicker.

This kind of thing just burns me up. Corporate officers and low level agents think they can get away with shit, until a lawyer walks into the fray.

You might also consider refinancing with another institution. Join Costco and see if you can refinance with them. Might save a little dough. Will CERTAINLY cost Wachovia the rest of the revenue from the loan. Revenge is sweet.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:07 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Originally Posted by davidspalding
Don't call the local underlings who aren't empowered to do anything. Talk to a corporate officer. Agent for service is a good start. Just an idea for you to consider, instead of dealing with your local bank's managers or tellers ... talk to the bank's agent for service, ask what the ramifications are of falsely reporting bad credit when the account is paid-current, wrongfully repossessing the car, and local agents refusing to make amends. A lawyer will only make this process go quicker.

This kind of thing just burns me up. Corporate officers and low level agents think they can get away with shit, until a lawyer walks into the fray.

You might also consider refinancing with another institution. Join Costco and see if you can refinance with them. Might save a little dough. Will CERTAINLY cost Wachovia the rest of the revenue from the loan. Revenge is sweet.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Advanced

I don't think it is weird at all. It should be taken seriously. You may be able to get some compensation from the repo company- they are required to keep extensive insurance for these situations. I dislike wrongful lawsuits, but you should explain how this is embarrassing and inconvenient. It is not the repo company's fault though; they only get their paperwork faxed from the bank. It almost sounds as if the bank mis-posted the payments- how else could you be 74 payments past due with proof of them being cashed. The bank should be able to change the way your moms credit has been reported to the credit bureau for the past 2 months through certain credit programs- it is not hard. Just make sure to follow up on your credit by getting reports online. See who they report to ( equifax, transunion, or experion) and get copies of your bureaus to follow up. Its nothing that cant be corrected, but just follow up and don't let them slide with anything else.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:59 AM
I can't find my garage

that is some story.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:04 AM
East Coast Crew

Call your lawyer and sue them.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:06 AM
Got Phó?

DAMN! thats messed up! I would never let anyone tow my car away.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:31 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I wonder if the car incurred any damage from the repo. One of our cars that was bought at a repo auction had its passenger door lock broken...you can only unlock the key from the driver's door. If they used that thing that goes under the window, maybe there's some tint damage

You really should somehow get some sort of compensation...maybe 1 or 2 less car payments. Your mom's credit is screwed up. Credit bureaus don't usually "un-do" mistakes....maybe they'll just add a consumer note or something. It'll take many months to get the credit score back up.

Check your balance and make sure they haven't added anything that shouldn't be there, like late fees or interest on the principal balance that should have been covered by a previous payment
Old 11-04-2007, 04:13 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You should definitely skip over dealing with the local branch manager and go straight to the top. Report everything from the treatment you received to how they are not really doing anything about it except leaving messages with the repo company. It is ridiculous that the bank cannot get in touch with a manager of the repo company considering the amount of business they probably provide them with on a daily basis. Also while you are making your way to the top of the management chain mention the fact that you have a lawyer waiting to hear back from you(lie about it) in case the issue is not resolved in a timely manner such as the next business day and say if you also do not hear back with a resolution then you will also contact the local news affiliate. I am sure the bank would appreciate having such great things said about them all over the local news "car wrongfully repo'd....", great PR for people needing loans. You should also go to freecreditreport and check to see what your credit looks since this has happened.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:47 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by NightRider
Depends on how far you want to take it, but that isn't right at all. I hate to say it, but this could be cause for a lawsuit.
Spoken in the true ("lawsuits have made this country great") John Edwards fashion. Oh, and I always pay cash, so no it hasn't happened to me before.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:34 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
we used to bank with wachovia-that bank sucks. never had a car repo'd but my daughter did (she got it back). I hope whoever repoed your car was more careful-the ones that took my daughter's car did not give a damn so I recommend you get the car checked out-especially underneath the car. any damage the bank should pay for. good luck. be advised the place that took the car is charging you strorage fees. it might be a good idea to talk to a lawyer.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by visuelz
Call your lawyer and sue them.
What he said. I never would recommend doing such a thing under most circumstances, but in this situation you're 1. without a car 2. in the hole money-wise, the repo guy is going to make you pay for the tow fees 3. have absolutely destroyed credit which takes hours upon hours to repair if this has already gone to the credit agencies.

Shut up online, get a lawyer and deal with this the right way.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Racer

I would've rented a gucci car until the point that the bank could return your car to you... definitely get a good inspection on the car when you get it back and have the bank pick up any damage claims you may have.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Is waiting in

damn that really sucks hope it works out in ur favor just make sure all your mugen parts are still there!
Old 11-04-2007, 04:24 PM
アキュラ 力

Check this repo

http://www.break.com/index/repo-man-...ut-of-car.html
Old 11-04-2007, 04:26 PM
アキュラ 力

At least you repo didn't go like this

Old 11-05-2007, 12:16 AM
B A N N E D

well thanks to the advise of azine my family is going to file a case against them in court. hopefully things work out and this never has to happen to anyone else again.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:46 AM
Instructor

I'd be more concerned with the credit report. Has it been poorer for the past few months/years because of their incorrect reporting? If so, that might have caused higher interest rates on any loans / new credit cards, even denial of new applications. That cumulatively might have 'cost' you more than loss of your car for a weekend.

Jeff
Old 11-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Spoken in the true ("lawsuits have made this country great") John Edwards fashion. Oh, and I always pay cash, so no it hasn't happened to me before.
yeah call a lawer and sue!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JPTL-S
At least you repo didn't go like this
Assault and battery. Nothing to be blase about. What's really juicy is that it's on film, and the guy can clearly be made out on film. I think he'd have a hard time in court denying assault and battery after smiling for the camera afterwards. (I didn't watch with audio, probably NWS.)

Hope your car's okay. Again, definitely have someone review your credit records (all three bureaus) and make sure the bank negates any bad reports they made. That kind of @*%& can take for-frigging-ever to clear up.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
What?! I thought banks were perfect!

That really, really sucks. I do hope everything turns out alright. I have to agree with others here, squeeze whatever you can out of the bank for repayment (via a lawyer, if possible) AND take your business elsewhere. Refinance with a credit union (they're not hard to join)...you may be able to get a better rate anyway! This is a big mistake that should not have happened and will cost you and your family greatly. Wachovia does NOT deserve your business.

I have some student loans through Wachovia...and this is really making me think twice about them.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:56 PM
B A N N E D

the loan was actually through bb&t. our bank account is with wachovia. sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:23 PM
B A N N E D

i just got my car back.. i got a question for you guys. is there supposed to be a 3inch wheel gap? i can fit my acura key in there. i knew i needed to install my springs but something doesnt look right even for stock settings.

also when that guy towed my car they towed it from the front the first time and when they were bringing it back they were towing it from behind.. thats fucked up. on top of that i have 6 miles to the empty tank now???!?!?! i had at least a quarter tank before they took it. car is filthy right now too, i just washed it :[
Old 11-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

they towed it from the back???? I hope the car was in neutral!!

as for the wheel gap, I can't really say because I think the TSX sits pretty high anyways.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Undercover Slacker

that sucks! i would change banks ASAP. good luck with everything.

Quick Reply: car almost got "repo'd" has anyone ever had this happen to you before?