Hi there,

Acura.ca lists the TSX as:

TSX 6MT = 36,200 +1725 PDI = 37,925
TSX 6MT NAVI = 39,000 + 1,725 = 40,725

Acura.com lists the TSX at approximately $10K less:

TSX 6MT = 28,190 + 715 PDI = 28,905
TSX 6MT NAVI = 30,290 + 715 PDI = 31,005

Why is the TSX $10K more in Canada?
Does anyone have an email or snailmail address for Acura Canada?

thx!
...b
Old 10-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automotive sale figures in Canada are going to look very funny for 2007-Q4 and on, unless the manufacturers take their head out of their ass and realize that Canadians are NOT stupid.

For f***'s sake after the GST+PST and all the other shit involved, you end up paying more than you would for an RL in the US.

A lot of people are already boycutting Canadian dealers. Many are holding their money until something happens and many who are in a rush are taking a couple of days off work to purchase a vehicle in States and bring it over here.

After the import-tax, DRL-modification and all the hassle, you still end up saving over $5000 on average.

The price difference for a Corvette is $21,000!!!!! What a f***ing rip off.

BTW, $1 CAD = $1.02 US

I'm buying a laptop from a US vendor right now and feeling like a real winner! :-)
Old 10-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Advanced

Good point , but it gets better

I you choose the auto gearbox, that's an extra $1,300 North of the border, but no charge in the good old US of A.

Why ???
Old 10-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Encyclo
Good point , but it gets better

I you choose the auto gearbox, that's an extra $1,300 North of the border, but no charge in the good old US of A.

Why ???
Maybe that's their method of compensating for the extra overhead involved with creating a .ca website!!!

rediculous
Old 10-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Many dealers close to the border of various vehicle manufactures are told specifically NOT to sell to Canadians. Some dealers obey, some do not. Bottom line: if you really want the car in the US, nobody can stop you.

I know someone who has had a dealer reject (kindly) a Canadian buyer. (he was the buyer), Guess what, he got a buddy to buy it for him with a US drivers license and address, paid in full, changed names and asked for recall clearance, nothing the dealer can stop.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Car Nut

The Canadian divisions of car companies are going to have to make severe adjustments to their pricing strategies... while the annoyance of importing a car from the US were hard to justify at a 30% exchange, it is much harder to justify buying a car in Canada at par (or slightly better). Even factoring the import fees, inspection and certification fees, and the hassle of dealing with warranty work, I'd still buy a 27K TSX South of the border, rather than the 35K+ we would pay here.
The closest Acura dealer is 1.5 hours away from here, but that may well be worth the drive for the next car if things keep up!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:20 AM
2008 TL-S Blue 6spd

+1 Chrisman !
Old 10-10-2007, 09:32 AM
talk about mudflaps....

Keep in mind that the automakers price their cars based on what the market will bear. They also don't link the prices to exchange rates. The key will be how long the Canadian dollar stays at par with the US dollar. If it stays up there for long, Canadian prices should drop, as long as manufacturers don't feel they can get away with it.

For now, just buy more things on line. My friend just got a killer deal on Dunlop Sport M3 winter tires from the Tirerack. Even after import duties, brokerage, and GST, he saved about $200 over buying them online from a Canadian website.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:45 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by dereksmalls
Keep in mind that the automakers price their cars based on what the market will bear.

Exactly. But considering Canadian have less disposable income pricing cars up here much more than in the US makes no sense. Auto makers have dictated that small compacts like the Civic and Mazda 3 are the best sellers up here. You'd think they'd want the more profitable mid size category to sell but thats not the case.

Then there's cars like the S2000, Vette and the entire Subaru lineup that are so much more its almost as if they don't want to sell any in Canada. A 30-32K US S2K is 55K up here. I could never understand that one. Nor the 140K NSX.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 AM
talk about mudflaps....

Well, the Canadian market obviously can bear the current TSX pricing scheme. We all bought TSXs that were listed at $35K CDN MSRP despite the fact that it listed for much lower in the US. Unless Canadians stop buying products because of the pricing differences, the automakers are going to stick with their current pricing.

At least there's more public awareness about it.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
There was an interesting article in the Globe and mail last week, basically stating that Canadian consumers have been proven to be willing to accept higher prices "just because". Call it the typical Canadian pushover attitude.

There was a study done (which this article was based on) that removed all other factors from the US/CDN pricing mechanisms, such as shipping, taxes, duties, import regulations and fees, distribution costs, exchange rate, and interest rates (and more)... and the end result was that there is a premium amount on almost all goods that Canadian consumers will bear, so that's what the manufacturers charge. IE: If you were selling a product and could sell it at either $100 or $150, and sell the same amount either way, which do you choose? It's obvious.

So until Canadians start agressively shopping south of the border, and denting the pocketbooks of the Canadian distributors, nothing will change. Angry letters and newspaper articles can call for action, but only hurting the cash flow will GET action.

On that note, I went to Syracuse, NY this weekend and bought a ton of stuff and still saved boatloads of money over Canadian retail prices, even when factoring in duty, hotel stay, gas, and food. And I got a vacation out of it. Piss on the Canadian distributors who gouge us.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:59 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by curls

So until Canadians start agressively shopping south of the border, and denting the pocketbooks of the Canadian distributors, nothing will change.
Not going to happen. Most people don't have 30K in cash at the ready to go over to the US and buy a car. Most people finance. While getting a loan or line of credit is possible. most won't go through the hassle especially when you can get a lower interest rate from the manufacturer.

And what % of new car purchases are leases?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:03 PM
ily
Cruisin'

In Aug 31 -07, I got myself 07 TSX,5 AT, Navi Package.

Soon after,I started hearing on the media on how many Canadians are car shopping cross the border..so I was curious and went online to compare the prices in acura.ca (CDN)website versus acura.com (US) I almost choked, The Verdict was 9 K difference !!!!!!!!!!UNF****BELIEVABLE!!!!!!

Why? Why this huge price discrapency?????? How in the world, Acura Canada can rip me off that bad. I'm so pissed off, this story will keep eating forever.

Piss on Acura Canadian Car Distribution.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Pro

And I love the $1000+ difference in freight that we're charged. And the irony is that it even applies to cars that are built in Ontario (e.g., some of the Honda products).
Old 10-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ily

Why? Why this huge price discrapency?????? How in the world, Acura Canada can rip me off that bad. I'm so pissed off, this story will keep eating forever.

Piss on Acura Canadian Car Distribution.
I read somewhere that while honda makes a bit on selling at higher MSRP here in Canada, they also lose a lot by selling Canadian-made cars like the Civic in the states. Didn't make much sense to me back then and it still doesn't, but that's the reason they gave.
Anyways, if you're pissed about it, just buy your next honda/acura in the US and use the savings towards the warranty that you'd lose. I might.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Advanced

It is a very interesting conversation here. There are actual classes that you can take for free regarding buying a car from the US. Bascially it comes down to you paying 6.1% duty charge on car that weren't manufactured in Norht America. If the car was made in N American, then the 6.1% duty should not be charged do to the fre trade aggreement.

Other than that, the little cost of changing the headlights and speed gauges are small amounts of money. They are less than $200 to do. There are other little charges that apply to cars whether they are built in America or not. But again, you are only looking at paying less than $200. Paying a couple hundred bucks in nothing compared to what you could save. The only concern is that they warranty on some cars are not valid in Canada. Cars like Porsche and BMWs keep there warranty in Canada.

As for the currency exchange (FX) difference, the dollar is going to stay at these levels for a long while. Maybe even get better due th econmic fators that I would love to get into but rather ot bore anyone (my job is in the investment side of the bank).

Porsche has had the decency to lower their Canadian prices because they knew that it was the right thing to do if they wanted to keep their costomer based in Canada. I know that I will be venturing off to the States to buy a 'recreational' car from a Prosche dealer. Things are too cheap to not to do it when we look at how much we are willing to pay for the cars we drive here.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Advanced

I forgot to mention that those arguements about the cost being the same when you take out things and add things in is full of nonsense. In my business, the dollar does the talking and it never lies. They can piss off with their arguements!
Old 10-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Pro

I think the only significant obstacle to doing this en masse is financing. A Canadian buying in the US needs to either pay cash, or arrange for some sort of Canadian-based financing. This would typically be much greater than that offered by the Canadian manufacturer (e.g., Honda/Acura 0-2.9% or so) which would eat into the US purchase savings.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by rastaman
It is a very interesting conversation here. There are actual classes that you can take for free regarding buying a car from the US. Bascially it comes down to you paying 6.1% duty charge on car that weren't manufactured in Norht America. If the car was made in N American, then the 6.1% duty should not be charged do to the fre trade aggreement.

I know that I will be venturing off to the States to buy a 'recreational' car from a Prosche dealer. Things are too cheap to not to do it when we look at how much we are willing to pay for the cars we drive here.
Rasta,
Don't know if you've come across this site yet, but in case you haven't, check out the LONG thread at

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

The thread is usually on the first page. I'd link directly to it, but the site is down this morning for maintenance.

Basically, before you buy your 'recreational' car, follow the steps outlined at www.riv.ca and take note of the tips given in the Redflagdeals thread. Pretty straightforward apparently.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 5thTo2nd
Rasta,
Don't know if you've come across this site yet, but in case you haven't, check out the LONG thread at

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

The thread is usually on the first page. I'd link directly to it, but the site is down this morning for maintenance.

Basically, before you buy your 'recreational' car, follow the steps outlined at www.riv.ca and take note of the tips given in the Redflagdeals thread. Pretty straightforward apparently.

Thanks for the info. I do know about the riv.ca site. I haven't looked at your link yet, but I will get to it soon.