Can you get a tint ticket outside of your state?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you get a tint ticket outside of your state?

I'm a CA resident, and I have friends who are cops in CA, so if I get a fix-it tint ticket I don't have to worry about it. However, I am in Utah a lot. Could I get a tint ticket in Utah and have to remove the tint to clear that ticket? Or could they not give me a fix-it ticket since I'm not a resident of their state (CA plates, CA license).
Old 03-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I would imagine that if you have out of state plates, you're not bound by their local vehicle code. And since they can't enforce CA law, you should be in the clear.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I think they can enforce their own local law when you are on their turf, much like speeding or other criminal offenses.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JTso
I think they can enforce their own local law when you are on their turf, much like speeding or other criminal offenses.
Yeah I'm sure they can enforce most of the codes.

But what about 'fix-it' type tickets. Examples: too dark tint, no front plate, no mud flaps, etc.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I think that applies to moving violations, but vehicle code violations are hard to enforce. For instance, if you are from a state that does not issue front plates and drive into a state that requires it, they cannot ticket you for failing to display the front plate.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:32 AM
DC Metro Local Crew

Yes, from my understanding with my car being registered in another state and being a different state than where it was registered. the local law enforcement cannot enforce vehicle codes since you are not a resident of that state and more importantly, your car is registered in some other state and you are bound by that states vehicle codes. Moving violations apply to any vehicle in any jurisdiction regardless of state tags. This comes from personal experience as well, being registered in ohio and living in both MD and VA. i never gota ticket for vehicle lowering laws in maryland, b/c i had ohio tags and registration and i wasnt a resident of the state. take it for what its worth, you should be fine.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I think that applies to moving violations, but vehicle code violations are hard to enforce. For instance, if you are from a state that does not issue front plates and drive into a state that requires it, they cannot ticket you for failing to display the front plate.
True... don't we have members who are cops? Perhaps they can provide some insights.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:09 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Originally Posted by thorium
I'm a CA resident, and I have friends who are cops in CA, so if I get a fix-it tint ticket I don't have to worry about it. However, I am in Utah a lot. Could I get a tint ticket in Utah and have to remove the tint to clear that ticket? Or could they not give me a fix-it ticket since I'm not a resident of their state (CA plates, CA license).
I shall have to remember this next time I get any tickets to look you up.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In WA you can get a ticket. If I remember correctly our tint law states that vehicles registered out of the state of WA must adhere to the local laws. Not sure about everywhere else, but here in Walla walla you can get a ticket for it.

but here they don't enforce the laws that much since all youneed is a hand written note from a doctor saying that you have sensitive skin. You don't need a state approved letter or anything like that. All you need is Dr. Schmuckatelli's note.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I believe if you are traveling in another state, yes, you have to abide by their laws, tinted windows included.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:24 PM
6MT & LSD

Nope, I don't think so. Not any more than they can enforce the front license plate law. Michigan doesn't require it, so even if I was in a state where they require it, they can't ticket me for that.

Items permanently or semi-permanently installed on your vehicle are only subject to the laws of the state the vehicle is registered in.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
I hear VA tries to enforce front plate and tint limits on people they pull over from MD, so I wouldn't be surprised if a copy tries to pull that
Old 03-14-2006, 08:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you can get a ticket...I mean taht would destroy commerce....nobody will go to NY from any other state then if taht was the case...
Old 03-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Plus, they can't really penalize you for taking ur car for transportation to their state when its totally legal in urs...How would people get around?
Old 03-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That would seem kind of strange though. For example in Ga they dont provide front plates but in other states around us they do. That's kind of a tough law to enforce in other states from states that dont require front plates.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:31 PM
TSX Addict

Originally Posted by thorium
They will give you a ticket in Utah, since your car is at their jurisdiction.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Alin10123
That would seem kind of strange though. For example in Ga they dont provide front plates but in other states around us they do. That's kind of a tough law to enforce in other states from states that dont require front plates.
I think front plate is a little different as you mention.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:49 PM
DC Metro Local Crew

and i just remembered from reading the last few posts. before i had my tsx, i had my civic that was plated in ohio. i didnt have a front plate. got pulled over, the cop was gonna give me a ticket and didnt when she realized i was plated and registered in ohio. this was in falls church, so take it for what its worth
Old 03-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Guinea Pig

Front plates are different! If your state only issues 1 plate, how can you have 2 if you go to another state? Very different! Try getting 2 plates with the same number in Florida. It's pretty easy if you have an autographed copy of the bible to trade for it.

Each state has their own rules.

www.tintcenter.com

Good ref. for tint laws.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:07 AM
Guinea Pig

I stand corrected! I just read RCW 46.37.430 (WA Safety glazing — Sunscreening or coloring law) and it doesn't say anythin gabout vehicles registered out of state. I know I recently read somthing that said vehicles registered out of state must abide by all laws though. Sounds like a catch 22. They can probably get you if they want to.

That law is kinda funny. It was written in 1993 and amended January of 06. The only changed in the amendment was that Law enforcement vehicles are exempt from the law. Everything else is the same. I guess someone complained that the cops windows are dark. Ha ha!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CJams
Front plates are different! If your state only issues 1 plate, how can you have 2 if you go to another state? Very different! Try getting 2 plates with the same number in Florida. It's pretty easy if you have an autographed copy of the bible to trade for it.

Each state has their own rules.

www.tintcenter.com

Good ref. for tint laws.
Thanks, good link. It looks like Utah has more 'liberal' tint laws anyways so I wouldn't be violating them even with a darker tint.

I searched, but can someone link me to (or just tell me) what the best tints are? I will have satellite radio/nav, so I guess I'll want to get a ceramic tint?
Old 03-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Racer

From my understanding of the law, a state cannot ticket someone for being in violation of a state law while that individual is merely passing through or visiting another state. However, a state can choose to enforce the laws of another state.

For example, if you are not required to have a front plate in your registered state, you cannot receive a ticket just by traveling through a two-plate state. However, if your state requires two plates, and you are visiting a single-plate state and remove your front plate, that state could choose to enforce the violation of your registered state and thus give you a ticket.

Perhaps I am wrong, but this is just the impression I have been under.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Intermediate

Yep, you can. My dad got a ticket in, I think it was Nebraska, some years ago for having his tint too dark, as per their state law. The car was registered in Illinois. And he was just passing through the state. It probably depends on if the cop is a jerk or not, though, because you'd think they would be a little leniant on something like that. But I know my dad got one, so it CAN happen.