Can the wood strip be replaced in the parchment intereior?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003 | 06:16 PM
7th Gear

Can the wood strip be replaced in the parchment intereior?

Does anyone know if it is possible to have the strip of wood replaced with the black material that makes up the top part of the dash inside (parchment interiors)? I didn't know if Acura could do it, or perhaps some type of aftermarket auto shop. I'm not really up to speed on customizing, so if someone could let me know if/how I could get this changed, I would really appreciate it. I had to have the white exterior, but the wood is not doing it for me at all! Also, could somebody replace it with a darker wood at an aftermarket shop? Any help guys? I need it.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2003 | 06:26 PM
Racer

Heh, first off, the wood is fake. nothing more than plastic

i know for sure the wood trim can come off, i've seen the TSX service manual pages on how to remove dash trim. As for replacing the trim for the "dash like material", i just dunno. Another option would be to remove the trim and paint it black and gloss it. I know you can get the silver trim from the quartz interior, but i seriously think the wood trim is a good look for the partchment interior.
Old 08-24-2003 | 06:36 PM
7th Gear

Don't you think the wood looks really orange? A lot of people are saying that and I have to agree. I can live with it, but I'm not crazy about it, it does look orange. If you take it off, what it underneath?
Old 08-24-2003 | 08:42 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Am I the only person who likes the fake wood?? I like it more than the fake aluminum - it gives the cabin a feeling of warmth.
Old 08-24-2003 | 09:56 PM
Intermediate

I like the fake wood as well. It is about the worst fake wood I have seen, but I absolutely hated the aluminum trim. It is the "plood" that guided my exterior color choice (PWP).
Old 08-24-2003 | 10:18 PM
Still here

All of the wood and/or silver can be replaced. The hard part would be the radio. At least on the silver navi version, I know the color is part of the faceplate with writting on it.
Old 08-24-2003 | 11:46 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by e_lectro
All of the wood and/or silver can be replaced. The hard part would be the radio. At least on the silver navi version, I know the color is part of the faceplate with writting on it.
\
And this unit is quite expensive!
Old 08-24-2003 | 11:47 PM
Pinky all stinky

The hard thing is that you'd have to find someone (either aftermarket or Acura themselves) to make a replacement for the trim. If you wanted a darker stained wood trim, I know that most of the after market wood kits available out there are just the kinds you stick on top of the existing part - it isn't an actual replacement. The wood is going to look raised if you go that route (assuming that someone out there is making a kit for the TSX).
Old 08-25-2003 | 01:27 AM
Still here

It would not be to hard it you were willing to take your time. you could make a plaster mold of your current pieces and then use that mold to make any type you wanted. This would give you the exact outer size you have right now. You could attach them with industrial strength velcro, the kind where both sides are plastic.

If you wanted a diferent wood, you could buy vanear of any type, and then stain it any color you want. Glue it on and then polyseal it.

There really are no limits; carbon fiber, paint, wood, wood inlays(!?!), airbrushing, plexi, real metal....
Old 10-03-2003 | 02:49 AM
Former Audio Mod

There's another thread that borders on this, but I too like the fake wood and am the only one I know who got the rest of the wood kit (not wheel) that does the rest of the center console and the control sections on the doors. Some real woods are an orangish color like this.

I think it would be hard to get the black piece you're looking for made to fit nicely. Getting the aluminum-look would be easy if you could get the parts.

BTW, Acura makes the kit I have installed, don't worry about making your own. However, since it's on top of the black surface and you have to worry about clearance, it's harder than you think! Some pieces edges' are molded intentionally to clear the other parts that would be in the way.