Buying a loaner/demo TSX

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:32 PM
AcuraChick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
This is news to me. So, you're saying every single TSX engine has been run for the equivelant of 5,000 miles before its installed? I'm very skeptical about this.

i said "UP TO" 5k miles...i'm simply telling you what my dealership's Acura rep informed us of, and also what we were taught during training. believe me or dont believe me.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LORStsxNCSU
as for the price...most demos are priced to sell. it depends on how badly they want to get rid of it, but most dealerships wont haggle that much (at least not a couple grand) on a used vehicle. they've got a certain amount of money invested in that car and they wont lose money on a used one, unless of course they are desperate to get rid of it bc its been there too long. a new car is different. most will negotiate then! so i wouldnt go in there expecting to get thousands off.
Funny, my sales guy swore that when I made them drop the price on my CPO $700 or so (it had twice the mileage of the one I'd thought I was negotiating to buy), that they made no profit on the car. For one repair they asked me to wait and do it after 30 days, so that they could charge Acura (warranty versus dealer CPO cost), again saying, "Since we made no money on that car." I kept chuckling. I figured they paid out $21,000 or $22,000. If they put $2000 or more of work into a 15 month old car to bring it up to spec, they should've given the previous owner less. IMHO, of course.

A loaner? One would HOPE they serviced it well, but I wonder ... if they need a loaner to give out in order to do repairs for customers (some of them paying, I presume) ... a bottom-line-minded service manager will keep it on the road. In their shoes, would I tell a customer, "Sorry, we can't do your 40,000 mile service, we have to service our loaner today, it's at oil life 0%" ... ? I doubt it. So ... perhaps asking to see the service records before settling on a price is a good idea. (I know, how much service would a 6000 mile loaner need, but what if something turned up like several warranty replacements?) Correct me if I'm wrong, but repairs made for a certification come out of the dealer's pocket, but warranty repairs done prior to that would be freebie.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rmjames007
My 06 is a loaner and I have not had any problems with it either. I actually felt betteer about having a loaner because its a dealer cared for car so that means to me that the work on it is quality. In my case the dealer bought the car new as a fleet car and then after 10 the sold it to me. I did get the 100k extra warrenty just in case. I have been happy the the car thus far.
I did the same thing and am happy knowing that this car was checked by the Acura service department every single time it was returned. I also got it for $23k OTD for a 2006 w/ 24k miles (on the road for 24 months though). Edmunds.com quotes 2006 CPO TXSs for $27xxx, or in other words, as much as it cost brand new. Go figure? The exterior and interior was flawless.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:15 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the input. I decided against buying the loaner plus the dealer wasn't willing to budge on the price. I found two used '06s, babied just like you guys' cars. Price is right, now if I could only decide which color-CG/Ebony or PWP/Ebony.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by eilaina
Thanks for the input. I decided against buying the loaner plus the dealer wasn't willing to budge on the price. I found two used '06s, babied just like you guys' cars. Price is right, now if I could only decide which color-CG/Ebony or PWP/Ebony.
Too bad you let a few guys on this thread (who evidently haven't grown up yet) dissuade you from going for the loaner. Don't lose sight of the fact that those of us here represent a huge minority of TSX owner/drivers. I have no doubt that the vast majority of people who have a loaner for the day treat it no differently than they do their own car. Knowing the cars' history since day one and the extra warranty should have kept the car in the game. Good luck with whatever you end up with.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Has everyone forgotten this incident already?
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/tsx-180-u-turn-361344/

I've driven numerous loaner TSXs; every last one had something odd about it that bugged me.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by eilaina
Personally, I go with Carbon Grey. Lots of white cars on the road (like my ASM). The CG is a bit distinctive. YMMV.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Too bad you let a few guys on this thread (who evidently haven't grown up yet) dissuade you from going for the loaner....
Needless insult to others who've posted here. There's no need to differentiate your opinion from others' by making comments like that.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:16 AM

No, wait, do you mean the posts like "put in 83 octane and burnt everyone at the red light" or "brother played with the tectonic and acceleration" and "tested the limits of the suspension, cornering, acceleration, breaking, everything that seemed remotely interesting or just fun" ? Okay, I'm no angel, Simba, I thought the same, you just typed it.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by davidspalding
No, wait, do you mean the posts like "put in 83 octane and burnt everyone at the red light" or "brother played with the tectonic and acceleration" and "tested the limits of the suspension, cornering, acceleration, breaking, everything that seemed remotely interesting or just fun" ? Okay, I'm no angel, Simba, I thought the same, you just typed it.
If the shoe fits.......................
Old 10-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by davidspalding
Needless insult to others who've posted here. There's no need to differentiate your opinion from others' by making comments like that.
So simba insults someone in another thread and you defend him, and now you're bashing him in this thread?

Anyway, he does have a point that the loaner might not be so bad. It depends on the kinds of drivers the dealer attracts, as well as the community. My local acura dealership has a specific route you have to take for a test drive, and it comes with a few speed bumps to make sure you don't abuse it. Basically it's just a drive to get a feel for how the car is.

eilaina, I'd go with PWP/ebony. PWP didn't get ebony until 06, and it's a high sought after combo. That, and almost every TSX I see in my area is CGP =P
Old 10-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
So simba insults someone in another thread and you defend him, and now you're bashing him in this thread?

Anyway, he does have a point that the loaner might not be so bad. It depends on the kinds of drivers the dealer attracts, as well as the community. My local acura dealership has a specific route you have to take for a test drive, and it comes with a few speed bumps to make sure you don't abuse it. Basically it's just a drive to get a feel for how the car is.

eilaina, I'd go with PWP/ebony. PWP didn't get ebony until 06, and it's a high sought after combo. That, and almost every TSX I see in my area is CGP =P
I agree. I'd much rather buy a CPO that was in possession of the Acura service department since day 1. They do service and inspect everything on the car each time the car is returned, so you know its been thoroughly maintained, probably even moreso than the analist or anal car owners. I believe that most people who receive a loaner car from the dealer would take care of it. I mean, its not like we're BMW owners here...

And yes, I'd def go with the PWP/Ebony combo. If I didn't get the ASM, I'd get the PWP. Theres a girl with an 06/07 PWP/Ebony Navi in my complex. I drool...
Old 10-26-2007, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
Yep, though you're conveniently ignoring my subsequent, "humble pie" post. Part of growing older is realizing that trying to be angelically consistent is like trying to roll the toothpaste tube from the bottom. Some days, you just can't afford to give a .

Where do you guys get the idea that the service department inspects, services and otherwise lovingly cares for loaners every time they come back? Have you been told this? Seen this for yourself? My impression at the Chapel Hil dealership is that loaners come back at the end of the day, and are turned around and loaned the next morning. There's not a lot of time to give the loaner(s) TLC unless the service guys like to work nights.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:38 PM
Racer

the only thing that i hate about my ex-courtesy tsx which i got used with 20k miles is the scratches left by the users. there not big scratches, mainly in the interior there just minor scratches that oculd have been prevented if the users treated it like it was there car. i would say jsut take the car for a test drive and just scope through the interior. also mkae sure the key to the lock nut is in your car, took acura a week to get me a replacement. with only 3k miles i think the car will be in good condition and you probally dont have to worry about any major problems.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When i got my loaner i could feel so much crap had been done to the engine and cringed when i pushed it a bit too far, scratches everywhere and the insides were all rattly, gave me the worst impression of loaner cars so just from that I wouldn't buy one of them, just my opinioin
Old 10-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bo0sty
the only thing that i hate about my ex-courtesy tsx which i got used with 20k miles is the scratches left by the users. there not big scratches, mainly in the interior there just minor scratches that oculd have been prevented if the users treated it like it was there car. i would say jsut take the car for a test drive and just scope through the interior. also mkae sure the key to the lock nut is in your car, took acura a week to get me a replacement. with only 3k miles i think the car will be in good condition and you probally dont have to worry about any major problems.
I actually lucked out and found very few if any surface scratches on my car. Theres just a couple rock chips on the hood and thats about it. Some screws were missing from the plate that holds the coin holder together in the center console.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Detail Cars in Philly in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I cant speak for the previous people that have rented the loaners, but i know that the workers def. have fun with them. I work at an acura dealer detailing cars, and have gone out to lunch with other workers in the loaners. and most of them are about my age who are looking to have some fun. so they're def. not treated as good as they should be, but id say luckily for you, most people go for the TL loaner to get more power.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:55 PM
2nd Gear

Hi all,

I bought an 06 w/navi loaner from a dealer in chicago earlier this year(Early March), and I have had 0 problems. The TSX has been everything I have been dreaming about. The car had 10k, I got it certified, and the warranty was the 7yr/100k. 27200 with TTL. What a great car!!