nice review....
Old 02-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Finding my TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, i will show this to my cunt ex-girl who drives a IS250 RWD.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Racer

What are the pros over the IS250?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:26 PM
ridiculously good looking

price
Old 02-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BackToStock
yes, i will show this to my cunt ex-girl who drives a IS250 RWD.
Your ex-girl's new boyfriend is loving the Lexus leather trimmed backseat.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Finding my TL-S

Originally Posted by malnik
Your ex-girl's new boyfriend is loving the Lexus leather trimmed backseat.
Tushae..
Old 02-29-2008, 02:50 PM
built for speed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Uhh, I think you mean touche. It's French, look it up.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:51 PM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
IS250 7.9
TSX 7.5

whoo hoo...go iVtech.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:56 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by BackToStock
Tushae..
Old 02-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Finding my TL-S

Originally Posted by bbbuzzy
Uhh, I think you mean touche. It's French, look it up.
Thanks, Webster!

(merriam-webster)
Old 02-29-2008, 03:23 PM
detour

i like both cars
Old 02-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Poser / Fanboi

That is a nice review.

One of my best friends was thinking about the TSX... test drove it and his back hurt (he has back problems and needs a plush seat), so he test drove the IS250. Liked the 250 more but didn't like the fact that he could get an '07 TSX right now for $25,800 and the IS was... what, $34,500? Wha-wha! I think the IS looks outstanding but I'll take the TSX any day. He's saving up for the IS... when he gets it I'll unfortunately have to rub it in that he spent way more for not that much more.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Poser / Fanboi

That is a nice review.

One of my best friends was thinking about the TSX... test drove it and his back hurt (he has back problems and needs a plush seat), so he test drove the IS250. Liked the 250 more but didn't like the fact that he could get an '07 TSX right now for $25,800 and the IS was... what, $34,500? Wha-wha! I think the IS looks outstanding but I'll take the TSX any day. I just like the feeling of getting a good value... and that's the TSX. He's saving up for the IS... when he gets it I'll unfortunately have to rub it in that he spent way more for not that much more.
Originally Posted by Saeyon
i like both cars
I do too, but the TSX is the best buy.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by dlee74
What are the pros over the IS250?
Oh, where do I begin...

I got a chance to take an IS250 RWD 6MT out without a sales guy this past weekend. People who complain about the TSX engine feeling flat and lacking in power should try one of these. I don't know if it is because the MT is geared poorly or if this particular car was just off its game, but it felt sluggish no matter what gear I was in. Took the car on the highway and ran it as hard as I could get it, but the car was in no rush to get anywhere. Combine that with the poorly mileage rating and one has to wonder why anyone who enjoys driving would buy this car. At least the TSX feels like it delivers its horsepower rating.

Handling wise, I took the car to some choice sweepers that I know very well from driving them nearly daily on my commute. Get the car up to about 45 mph and set up to approach the turn...slight left, then a long sweeping right hander. Approaching the apex, the car starts to understeer severely. I figure, "It's a RWD, lets give it a little more gas..." Boy was that a bad idea. The moment I apply more power, the stability control starts to kick in an the car starts to understeer even more severely. Engine power is suddenly being sapped completely, causing me to just give up and lift off. Almost immediately, the car snaps back on the chosen line, but by now, the corner is over. At the next stop light, I experiment with turning the stability control off, only to find that as soon as you get above a certain speed, it immediately comes back on. Talk about techno-nanny FTL.

Now, let's talk about the shifter and clutch. The shifter was vague, rubbery, cheap looking, cheap feeling, and did absolutely nothing with authority. Maybe it's because I am spoiled in the TSX with my short shifter and shifter housing bushings, but just about everything I did not like in a shifter was present in this one. Of course, the G35S shifter that I tested a while back was the only one that I have driven that felt even worse. As for the clutch, absolutely no feedback. No sense of engagement, no sense of control, just absolutely nothing at all. It felt like the clutch you find in arcade games. Not a good trait to have.

But to be fair, I was surprised that the steering actually felt pretty good. A tad artificial in terms of the effort, but pretty communicative and pretty good. Turn-in was pretty good, if not particularly sharp, but the car felt good, in control, and crisp. For a Lexus, this is a step up. In fact, it felt much better than the car I drove years ago at the Taste of Lexus event.

The interior quality was quite good, but for a car that had fewer than 50 miles when I got the keys from the dealer, I was surprised by the noises coming from the back seat area. As good a car as the Lexus is, I was stunned that there were a little rattles as I drove over bumps. So for those of you who complain about the TSX having rattles, do not automatically assume that switching to another brand is going to cure that problem. Otherwise, the interior was small and relatively unremarkable. It felt noticeably smaller than the TSX interior, which I can overlook, to some extent. However, the back seat was a complete joke. With the driver's seat set in my seating position (and keep in mind I sit pretty upright and I'm about 5'10"), I had to really contort to get into the back seat and really had to scrunch to get comfortable in the back.

Finally, there is the whole value thing. The car I drove had no options. No heated seats, no moonroof, no navigation, no HIDs, no memory seats, no nothing. Base model car, no packages at all. This car was priced at $31k+. Sure it had TPMS, leather seats, and the keyless start, but that is around the price of th TSX with navi and an awful lot of standard equipment.

So, at the end of the day, if you are a driver, I do not understand how you can justify the purchase of the IS250 over a TSX. It just is not as good a car dynamically. The quality is good, but not much if any better than the TSX. The car is smaller in overall size, but heavier than the TSX.

Don't get me wrong, but the IS is a good car. But if you are looking for a driver's car, the TSX is without a doubt the much better choice.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Racer

Thanks for your opinion.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Registered Abuser

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i'd rather have an is300 than the 250. ...not over my tsx of course.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by csun2004
+ 1 . And regardless of price
Old 03-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
excellent review.

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Oh, where do I begin...

I got a chance to take an IS250 RWD 6MT out without a sales guy this past weekend. People who complain about the TSX engine feeling flat and lacking in power should try one of these. I don't know if it is because the MT is geared poorly or if this particular car was just off its game, but it felt sluggish no matter what gear I was in. Took the car on the highway and ran it as hard as I could get it, but the car was in no rush to get anywhere. Combine that with the poorly mileage rating and one has to wonder why anyone who enjoys driving would buy this car. At least the TSX feels like it delivers its horsepower rating.

Handling wise, I took the car to some choice sweepers that I know very well from driving them nearly daily on my commute. Get the car up to about 45 mph and set up to approach the turn...slight left, then a long sweeping right hander. Approaching the apex, the car starts to understeer severely. I figure, "It's a RWD, lets give it a little more gas..." Boy was that a bad idea. The moment I apply more power, the stability control starts to kick in an the car starts to understeer even more severely. Engine power is suddenly being sapped completely, causing me to just give up and lift off. Almost immediately, the car snaps back on the chosen line, but by now, the corner is over. At the next stop light, I experiment with turning the stability control off, only to find that as soon as you get above a certain speed, it immediately comes back on. Talk about techno-nanny FTL.

Now, let's talk about the shifter and clutch. The shifter was vague, rubbery, cheap looking, cheap feeling, and did absolutely nothing with authority. Maybe it's because I am spoiled in the TSX with my short shifter and shifter housing bushings, but just about everything I did not like in a shifter was present in this one. Of course, the G35S shifter that I tested a while back was the only one that I have driven that felt even worse. As for the clutch, absolutely no feedback. No sense of engagement, no sense of control, just absolutely nothing at all. It felt like the clutch you find in arcade games. Not a good trait to have.

But to be fair, I was surprised that the steering actually felt pretty good. A tad artificial in terms of the effort, but pretty communicative and pretty good. Turn-in was pretty good, if not particularly sharp, but the car felt good, in control, and crisp. For a Lexus, this is a step up. In fact, it felt much better than the car I drove years ago at the Taste of Lexus event.

The interior quality was quite good, but for a car that had fewer than 50 miles when I got the keys from the dealer, I was surprised by the noises coming from the back seat area. As good a car as the Lexus is, I was stunned that there were a little rattles as I drove over bumps. So for those of you who complain about the TSX having rattles, do not automatically assume that switching to another brand is going to cure that problem. Otherwise, the interior was small and relatively unremarkable. It felt noticeably smaller than the TSX interior, which I can overlook, to some extent. However, the back seat was a complete joke. With the driver's seat set in my seating position (and keep in mind I sit pretty upright and I'm about 5'10"), I had to really contort to get into the back seat and really had to scrunch to get comfortable in the back.

Finally, there is the whole value thing. The car I drove had no options. No heated seats, no moonroof, no navigation, no HIDs, no memory seats, no nothing. Base model car, no packages at all. This car was priced at $31k+. Sure it had TPMS, leather seats, and the keyless start, but that is around the price of th TSX with navi and an awful lot of standard equipment.

So, at the end of the day, if you are a driver, I do not understand how you can justify the purchase of the IS250 over a TSX. It just is not as good a car dynamically. The quality is good, but not much if any better than the TSX. The car is smaller in overall size, but heavier than the TSX.

Don't get me wrong, but the IS is a good car. But if you are looking for a driver's car, the TSX is without a doubt the much better choice.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
The IS250 is for chicks and wannabe guys who have no clue about car specs. These two are just interested in owning a Lexus. The IS350 is more of a car that can compete in it's class. I guess it's smart on Lexus part by putting out a car like the 250. It's a very watered down equivalent of the 350 but they can charge a premium because they know people will buy.

The TSX represents a much better value.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:51 PM
detour

Originally Posted by hunterk1
That is a nice review.

One of my best friends was thinking about the TSX... test drove it and his back hurt (he has back problems and needs a plush seat), so he test drove the IS250. Liked the 250 more but didn't like the fact that he could get an '07 TSX right now for $25,800 and the IS was... what, $34,500? Wha-wha! I think the IS looks outstanding but I'll take the TSX any day. I just like the feeling of getting a good value... and that's the TSX. He's saving up for the IS... when he gets it I'll unfortunately have to rub it in that he spent way more for not that much more.

I do too, but the TSX is the best buy.

no doubt