Burnt Out Backlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Thank you Jeebus!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burnt Out Backlights

I just wanted to share my experience with changing out the many backlight's that seem to burn out over time on the TSX's. After doing much research on this forum, I decided to try and fix these myself. There is a few GREAT write ups and videos on here that clearly tell you what to do and expect. I was a little scared, but figured it was worth a try. So far I've changed the moonroof, traction and hazard switch lights. No joke, no exaggeration, it took me 10 minutes tops to take the switches out, change the bulbs and put them back in. This is so easy, just be careful when taking the light boots off of the old bulbs. These are not hard to take off, but they can rip because they heat up and tend to stick to the old bulb. Granted today's task will be a little more difficult, I need to do the seat heater switches. The hard part is removing the counsel, but these lights are cake to replace. Just had to share that, no instructions just elation. Hope it helps other people realize they can do it and save a lot of money. All of these backlight's or HI/LO lights use the same bulb you can get from Radio Shack. They are RS #7219, they come in a package of 2 and are like $2 for the set. Best of luck, it's not hard...
Old 04-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Thank you Jeebus!

Okay, so did the seat heater lights last night. CAKE! It was more time consuming to try and remove the counsel without cracking it, but still took only about a minute or two. Once off, just like the others, these light are really easy to replace. In total, 9 bulbs replaced in the car, $9 in parts for ALL of the bulbs needed and 1 extra and about 20 minutes of total time to do everything. Looks great and saved me a TON of money that the stealership would've charged to do it. Definitely a DYI for anyone that can walk and talk at the same time-
Old 05-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Racer

interesting. can you paste the links you used from this site that has the write-ups?

my driver's side seat-heater switch light died last year and i had it replaced under warranty because i was getting some other stuff done, they said they had to replace the whole switch unit.

now my passenger side switch is burned out.. any info would be great.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Thank you Jeebus!

Originally Posted by alucardx
now my passenger side switch is burned out.. any info would be great.
Honestly, no links needed. It's this simple:

1. Go to Radio Shack, buy 2 packages (2 bulbs in each) of #7219 bulbs at about $2 a pack, they are tiny with long wires on them. As long as you have the switch off, might as well replace all 3 in the switch so you don't have to do it a few months later.

2. CAREFULLY remove the counsel from the car. This is the plastic that holds the switches and clips underneath to the actual center counsel. Holding the plastic from inside the cuph older works for some people, just don't hold the door. I reached at the front by the shifter, got those clips to pop and then was able to yank it from the cup holder and it came off.

3. Unplug the seat heater wire harness from each.

4. Bring this inside or to a neat work area and remove the (2) screws that hold the switch replacing into the plastic.

5. Once off you'll see (2) brown and (1) blue plugs. Give them a twist with a screwdriver and remove them, may need needle nose pliers to get it all the way out.

6. These are the bulbs in their housing. You'll see little wires on the outside, when you untwist the wires you can pull the bulbs out of this housing.

7. CAREFULLY remove the colored bulb cover from the old bulb. I used my nails to coax it and rotate it until I was able to pull it off without ripping it.

8. Put this cover on the new bulb, run the two long wires through the holes on the base and re-wrap it as it was.

9. repeat this for the other 2 bulbs and reverse the process to get them back in the switch, the switch back onto the plastic and the plastic back into the car.

Sounds harder than it is SERIOUSLY. I was concerned when I started and it was so easy I couldn't believe it. I am definitely more apt to have someone else do my work for me so I don't screw it up and this was CAKE!

Hope this helps, keep me posted-
Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Was there an underlying electrical issue with the switch's internal circuitry, or was it just a bulb? The seat-heater twist-lock bulbs screw right out. If it was just a burned out bulb, then they did not have to replace the whole switch assembly.

By the way, good work Dubbl1. Nice write-up, and good self-doability.

lcrazyaznl did this a while back as well
Old 05-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Thank you Jeebus!

Thanks, I hope others find it useful. There is nothing more gratifying than doing something yourself and saving a butt load of money too.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by aCUREa
Was there an underlying electrical issue with the switch's internal circuitry, or was it just a bulb? The seat-heater twist-lock bulbs screw right out. If it was just a burned out bulb, then they did not have to replace the whole switch assembly.

By the way, good work Dubbl1. Nice write-up, and good self-doability.

lcrazyaznl did this a while back as well
if you're asking about my issue, i think it was only the bulb, as the switch turned on the heated seats without an issue. but the tech told me they don't replace just the bulb they replace the whole switch unit. which obviously makes no sense after reading this thread!
Old 12-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Instructor

Has anyone had any issues with the Radio Shack bulb being too hot or two bright? (Or overloading any circuits?) I ask because this bulb is 60mA, and the original Honda/Acura part appears to be 40mA. (For a Canadian source of a bulb that appears to be the same as the Radio Shack one, see here.)
Old 12-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Thank you Jeebus!

Originally Posted by cconrad
Has anyone had any issues with the Radio Shack bulb being too hot or two bright? (Or overloading any circuits?) I ask because this bulb is 60mA, and the original Honda/Acura part appears to be 40mA. (For a Canadian source of a bulb that appears to be the same as the Radio Shack one, see here.)
Nope, been close to 8 months since I did it and not an issue what so ever.