Old 07-22-2003, 03:52 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: from a BMW forum....

Originally posted by crisco
Talk about bias, check out this thread from a Bimmer forum

http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/inde...opic=1169&st=0

Its more ignorance than bias I think. But you will get that everywhere, about every car.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:59 PM
Suzuka Master

This is true. Just read our forums. Let them keep their opinions. We have our's.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:01 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bimmer Forum, read more like and Audi A4 Forum to me!

People who have Bimmers, love Bimmers and want to justify why they bought it. Same thing goes for people who bought A4's and the TSX. Everyone wants to think, feel, reassure that their decision was the "right" decision.

They are all great cars seperated by personal preferences only. .01 seconds here & there are no reason to buy or not to buy a car.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:01 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Noone really bashed the TSX, I mean they obviously think the A4 and BMW are simply better cars. We would give the opposite answers if he was asking here.

I do agree with them on one thing however, German cars are IMO better built and more solid feeling. Does that make them more reliable? obviously not but they feel better and more expensive, still not worth it IMO. But if I could afford a 50K CAD 3 series would I be here ?? I doubt it.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:03 PM
Drifting

What a bunch of monkeys. THAT is why I'd NEVER own a BMW.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:05 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by domn
But if I could afford a 50K CAD 3 series would I be here ?? I doubt it.
Sell out!
Old 07-22-2003, 04:44 PM
Racer

But if I could afford a 50K CAD 3 series would I be here ?? I doubt it.
Nope, you would go to Acura-TL.com, coz' you would've bought the 04' TL instead of the TSX
Old 07-22-2003, 05:09 PM
Racer

Handling: a4 wins
speed: A4 wins (if you chip it)
safety: a4 wins
comfort: a4 wins
styling: a4 wins
value: a4 wins
reliability: draw
dealer service: acura wins
Anyways someone in that other forum said this. But um let me see.

Handling: ? i thought acura was better but let's give it to audi.
Speed: Fucking chipping chances are it DOES void the warranty. Acura wins.
Comfort: again lets just give it to the a4
Safety: I have no clue about that but i doubt acura falls behind. This i would say a TIE.
Styling: I like the a4 better honestly too.
Value: Acura is hands down one of the best entry luxury value sedans out there. If you're going to buy a BMW why argue about value?
Status: Audi i can agree with as Acura doesn't hold much force YET.
Reliability? DRAW MY ASS. From what i researched Audi does not compare to Acura.
Dealer service: he said acura.

At the end Audi: 4 Acura: 4 and one tie. Even if Audi wins a little more it does not even come close to what that guy has said. I think however Handling goes to Acura anyways. But i guess like some have said it is best to defend what you have bought.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:11 PM
10th Gear

Those posts hurt my feelings.

Seriously, what really made me laugh was the one guy who said Hondas are built first with economy in mind, then luxury, and then performance. Obviously, this guy has never heard of the S2000, or the NSX, or double wishbone suspensions, or VTEC, or iVTEC, or the Integra Type R, or the CRX Si, or etc., etc.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by finalheaven

Safety: I have no clue about that but i doubt acura falls behind. This i would say a TIE.
I am not really sure about other safty features, but supposively Honda/Acura's have weak brakes.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:30 PM
Drifting

Anyways someone in that other forum said this. But um let me see.

Handling: ? i thought acura was better but let's give it to audi.
Speed: Fucking chipping chances are it DOES void the warranty. Acura wins.
Comfort: again lets just give it to the a4
Styling: I like the a4 better honestly too.
Value: Acura is hands down one of the best entry luxury value sedans out there. If you're going to buy a BMW why argue about value?
Status: Audi i can agree with as Acura doesn't hold much force YET.
Reliability? DRAW MY ASS. From what i researched Audi does not compare to Acura.
Dealer service: he said acura.

At the end Audi: 4 Acura: 4 and one tie. Even if Audi wins a little more it does not even come close to what that guy has said. I think however Handling goes to Acura anyways. But i guess like some have said it is best to defend what you have bought.
This post is a perfect example of how Acura owners differ from German car owners (most of them anyway). This is an objective and fair critique and I agree with it. Except for the handling. That scores Acura 5, Audi 3. Woo hoo! We won! Audi blows!
Old 07-22-2003, 05:43 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Jason
This post is a perfect example of how Acura owners differ from German car owners (most of them anyway). This is an objective and fair critique and I agree with it. Except for the handling. That scores Acura 5, Audi 3. Woo hoo! We won! Audi blows!
The funny thing is that im not an acura fan at all. I argued most of my time here against the TSX. only to try and get a more objective view about the cars. I was more leaning towards the C230 Benz Sedan. And my other choice was the 1.8T took 3rd series out because of price and new model coming.

However what that guy was posting was completely outrageous. Personally i don't think anything can beat the audi looks wise interior and exterior. But that is with the audi along with its presitage as well. I can't stand when one person will bash another car completely without anything to back it up. I hate that.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

well how about this to backup the claim... JD power rankings for reliability of the audi/vw company....

too many electronics in those german cars... hence i will only lease german, but buy japanese. (though in fairness, the first 4-5yrs the german cars are great... after that is when the problems begin and where the Japs can continue to keep their cars running)
Old 07-22-2003, 06:01 PM
10th Gear

I don't think they are really taking the price difference into account...to me "a few grand" is not the same as the actual $8,000 difference you would pay for a fully equipped 3-series.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:19 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

Maybe we could get one of the real knowledgable people from over here to go post on the bmw site and present the facts as we see them. Any volunteers?

Some items they just assume are better in bmw's make me wonder. A more refined engine? Aren't Hondas much more renowned for the refinement of their engines. I also had a mercedes mechanic who owns a bmw flat out tell me that acura makes the best navigation systems. We need a mole on that site. I nominate Larchmont.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:23 PM
Drifting

I was going to go over there and start defending the TSX but this is old news there. The last post on the thread was early June. But Larchmont would be an excellent choice, better than myself I would say. The only problem with Larch is that he's too nice a guy to really rip shit up over there. If he got ruthless it'd all be over
Old 07-22-2003, 08:11 PM
Banned

Send Motown. He actually likes BMW's.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:16 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Isn't a Bimmer Forum sappose to be Bimmer biased, just as a Honda forum is Honda biased?

I was impressed so many people loved their Acuras there.

Do many of you hunt for Honda bashing in other forums.
I would never expect an SE-R/Nissan forum to say a TSX is an awesome car.

I could go to a J-body forum, post a question and laugh at the repsonce, but I thought we were kind of above that.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Just one thing to put that whole thread in perspective...The guy that started it says in his signature that his STOCK MX6 does 0-60 in 4.2. Huh?
Old 07-22-2003, 08:26 PM
More On

Hey, Ozz and Jase -- you're too kind. And as you know, I am fully occupied with existing commitments.

(Translation: I'm on this board 24/7!)

Actually I found that thread very amusing. It's not that negative toward TSX, but mainly, I enjoyed watching them flail about bringing one another up to speed. I thought I knew nothing about cars, but I guess that's just compared to the people here. Reading their stuff reminded me of what I used to enjoy doing with scotch tape and little kids. I'd hand the little kid a piece of the scotch tape, and just watch while they would take it off their finger with the other hand, but then it would get stuck on that hand, so they'd take it off with the first hand, and it would get stuck there, then take it off with the other hand, then again with the other hand......

Cracked me up pretty good.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:27 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Umm-that generation MX6 was turbo-charged and available with a stick. They were good cars in the day. Don't bash a car you don't understand.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by larchmont
Hey, Ozz and Jase -- you're too kind. And as you know, I am fully occupied with existing commitments.

(Translation: I'm on this board 24/7!)

Actually I found that thread very amusing. It's not that negative toward TSX, but mainly, I enjoyed watching them flail about bringing one another up to speed. I thought I knew nothing about cars, but I guess that's just compared to the people here. Reading their stuff reminded me of what I used to enjoy doing with scotch tape and little kids. I'd hand the little kid a piece of the scotch tape, and just watch while they would take it off their finger with the other hand, but then it would get stuck on that hand, so they'd take it off with the first hand, and it would get stuck there, then take it off with the other hand, then again with the other hand......

Cracked me up pretty good.
This kind of post is what we're talking about, you could go over there and...
Old 07-22-2003, 08:46 PM
Intermediate

whats funny is that I traded in my A4 for the TSX, and would never go back to Volkswagon anytime soon. So many things inside the Audi would go wrong, I was always bringing it in to have small things fixed with the interior (lights going out on dash, ashtray(for spare change) breaking, panel doors breaking off, and all sorts of other things....and dont get me started on the engine and AC work.....$2200 for new AC......love the TSX

on a side note, my dealer loves me, after I bought my TSX they have sold a MDX navi/dvd to my stepfather last night, closing on another TSX for my brother tommorow morning and another one for my mom in two months. Im starting to think I should get a part time job there to make some commission....
Old 07-22-2003, 09:37 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Sell out!
Maybe I should explain myself a bit.

If I had the 50K to spend on a car, I would'nt care about things like reliability and RWD, because I'd have the extra cash to fix the car and buy an SUV for the winter. Plus I'd be leasing, so I'd get to change the car every 3 years to boot, so most potential problems would occur after the 3 years anyway.

Because I'm not in that situation and had to watch my budget the TSX was the perfect choice. Affordable, relaible, practical and sporty all wrapped up in one awesome looking package. No other car IMO can make that claim as well as the TSX does. The TSX is the smart man's choice.

But for as much as I love my TSX, if I was very wealthy I would'nt be driving around in a TSX. I'd be in a MB SL600, with an MDX or X5 in the garage for the winter months and for family hauling. If that makes me a sell out then I'll be the first to admit it.

Saying the 3 series is an overpriced POS is like saying the Enzo is'nt worth the 650K. And until my damn power driver's seat stops grinding, that's my story and I'm sticking to it
Old 07-22-2003, 09:40 PM
Intermediate

Looks like bowersan made the jump...now lets see what happens!!!

P.S. It's funny how the admin noticed the jump in thread views. When I checked, it was well over 500. Most of their thread views are <=100.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I looked at an A-4. The "4" stands for "four words"-Not Available With Navigation. I left the Audi dealership in a hurry..
Old 07-22-2003, 10:00 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Well said bowersan.

But you know what guys. I spend brief time reading alot of diff auto forums...and I can sit here and put up 10, 20, 30 links to threads on other forums with tsx bashing, or just plain wrong or ignorant remarks about a car that they probably never driven. (for a taste just check out the tsx vs mazda6 thread at edmunds).

Not much one can do about it. I have been tempted to respond..but i am just way to lazy to sign up on all these forums just to post Maybe we need a TSX army
Old 07-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Drifting

If I had the 50K to spend on a car, I would'nt care about things like reliability and RWD, because I'd have the extra cash to fix the car and buy an SUV for the winter. Plus I'd be leasing, so I'd get to change the car every 3 years to boot, so most potential problems would occur after the 3 years anyway.

Because I'm not in that situation and had to watch my budget the TSX was the perfect choice. Affordable, relaible, practical and sporty all wrapped up in one awesome looking package. No other car IMO can make that claim as well as the TSX does. The TSX is the smart man's choice.

But for as much as I love my TSX, if I was very wealthy I would'nt be driving around in a TSX. I'd be in a MB SL600, with an MDX or X5 in the garage for the winter months and for family hauling. If that makes me a sell out then I'll be the first to admit it.

Saying the 3 series is an overpriced POS is like saying the Enzo is'nt worth the 650K. And until my damn power driver's seat stops grinding, that's my story and I'm sticking to it
That's all fine and good domn. But this is what you said: "But if I could afford a 50K CAD 3 series would I be here ?? I doubt it."

Comparing a 50K CAD 3 series to being filthy rich with the ability to brush off any repairs is a big step. I have no problem with anyone who thinks the 3-series is a good car, because it is. But I got to tell ya, if I had a choice between a 3-series or a TSX at the same price, I'd still choose the TSX. And there are a few people who would agree with me on that.

What's my point? I'm not really sure myself, but I guess I was a little surprised with your comment about affording the BMW. You made a terrific choice and I know you agree with me.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Having 50K to spend on a car does not mean you are filthy rich, it just mean that you are not as a big spender like some of us are. I don't speak for everybody here, but I believe that a lot of people here can afford a 50K car, and that is including myself. However, I do not feel like spending more money than I have to on something that will lose half of its value in a just few years, especially when it is inferior in quality and reliability. Afterall, I do have to work very hard to earn my money.

Just my $0.02
Old 07-22-2003, 10:21 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by MrChad
Umm-that generation MX6 was turbo-charged and available with a stick. They were good cars in the day. Don't bash a car you don't understand.
The 1990 MX6 turbo has 145 horsepower. You need about 350+ HP to get to low 4s runs. I'd guess that the car is high 7's or low 8's with the stick.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:26 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I was a bit surprised at all the lauding of the A4 at that BMW forum. A4's are beautiful cars IMHO (as are TSXs), but I wouldn't get one. Just think, we could all take the noble route - be kind and wave as we pass the A4 drivers pulled over calling roadside assistance! (I don't think reliability is even close to a draw)

If you want to see some ridiculous TSX bashing, check out the ol' TSX vs. Mazda6 thread at edmunds.com.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:39 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by jcg878

If you want to see some ridiculous TSX bashing, check out the ol' TSX vs. Mazda6 thread at edmunds.com.
Is there an echo in here?
Old 07-22-2003, 10:46 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by rzee
Having 50K to spend on a car does not mean you are filthy rich, it just mean that you are not as a big spender like some of us are. I don't speak for everybody here, but I believe that a lot of people here can afford a 50K car, and that is including myself. However, I do not feel like spending more money than I have to on something that will lose half of its value in a just few years, especially when it is inferior in quality and reliability. Afterall, I do have to work very hard to earn my money.

Just my $0.02
I agree with you 110% here rzee. I don't know if this was aimed towards me or domn, but I dig it.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:48 PM
More On

.....If you want to see some ridiculous TSX bashing, check out the ol' TSX vs. Mazda6 thread at edmunds.com.
Yeah, FDL said that too.

I took a glance. I don't know if I'd call it TSX "bashing." I got as far as this long, long, very thorough and analytical post that concluded that the winner would have to be the Mazda, "hands down" -- except, if you read closely, he says (basically in passing) that he never drove the TSX.

Fortunately we don't get too much of that kind of wisdom on here.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:53 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by larchmont
[B]Yeah, FDL said that too.
- my bad ... I missed that.... that.... that... that -

no echo here
Old 07-22-2003, 10:55 PM
More On

- my bad ... I missed that.... that.... that... that -

no echo here
No problem, I'm sure. Some of us need repetition anyway.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Remember, Most Audis are made by and based on VW's. Up front, and out of the lot, the cars may appear to be nice. But their long-term reliability is mediocre.

Was value any kind of measure?

Was cost of maintenance any kind of measure?

Was the cost of ordinary spare or maintenance parts any kind of measure? Let's take BMW-branded, Audi-branded, and Acura-branded parts.

Were the manufacturer's, distributor's, and dealer's markups any kind of measure?

You'll see that there's not a lot of substance--but BIG profit differentials--behind the marketing facades.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:24 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree with you 110% here rzee. I don't know if this was aimed towards me or domn, but I dig it.
That was for domn, but looks like you beat me to it with the same idea. I clicked the reply button and then decided I should watch TV instead.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:36 PM
Burning Brakes

I've known some very wealthy individuals who have tact and taste not to "flaunt" waste and excess. They have better--smarter--things to do with their moneys than waste it on excess, marketing perceptions, etc. They favor the understated. They could have any car--or cars--they wanted. Some of them routinely drive an Accord or Acura sedan, however.

By the same token, I've known some wealth-to-do individuals who grope to define their status ala brand-label merchandise BIG TIME. They long to have tact, status, taste, or class, so they have the illusion that they can buy "it". They favor the overstated. They don't realize the money doesn't buy class, status, tact, or taste. Money just buys material goods. For them, therapy or Dr. Phil might help them with a reality check.

Quick Reply: from a BMW forum....