Bluetooth question???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth question???

I am looking for a cheap easy to install bluetooth kit and was wondering if anyone here had used the Drive Blue thing that plugs into the lighter outlet? My main concern here is that it won't fit in the TSX outlet by the "not ann ashtray" thing? I know it isn't the best looking unit and may not perform as well as some, but I can get one for $25 if it will work. Thanks in advance for the replies, this is a first class site.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have links and pics? I haven't heard of the Drive Blue
Old 09-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Link...

Here is a link...

http://www.simoncells.com/scripts/pr...idProduct=1227

It may fit, but it would be tight. I would only have it plugged in while I was using it since it is not real attractive. Just wondering if anyone with a TSX has actually tried to us one of these?
Old 09-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Your right. It would be a close fit. The only thing I'm not sure about is wether it would clear the door on the "NOT an Ashtray".

For $25 though, it's worth a try. It's a lot more expensive in the link you posted and it's functions look pretty cool.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:25 PM
Polar Chicken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would plug it into the outlet under the arm rest.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm a llama :(

I'd hardwire it and hide it.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:38 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I think the speaker is on the actual power plug though. That's why it's so inexpensive. Not sure if the speaker is going to be loud enough to hide behind a panel or in the center compartment.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:39 PM

You drive a TSX, just get something nice!
Old 09-27-2005, 08:59 PM
Professional SLACKER

Install the Parrot CK3000. It'll hook up to your 4 front speakers. It'll take about a week to learn how to hook it up yourself. But I think its worth it. For me it is because it stays hidden behind the console. Its about $100 + wire harness + time to install. I spent a total of $200. That's $120 for the kit and $80 on the harnessed. I didn't want to cut the factory wires.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:09 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
CT just passed the "We think you are incapable of doing more than one simple task at a time, so you can no longer hold your cell phone while you drive" law, effective Saturday, so I bought a BT thingy last night. I got the Motorola HF820, it was $99 at Best Buy. Here it is:

It has an internal battery, so you charge it for a couple hours, then it has like 5 hours of talk time, or XX of standby. It is about the size of a cell phone. It uses the same charger as the Motorola phones (and comes with an in car charger. It also has a clip (just like a cell phone holster) that clips to your visor. I used it today, and at speeds up to about 50, there were no issues with the sunroof open. It has a couple buttons on it, mute, power/volume, and send/end/flash/dial. You can also program it to use the voice commands your phone uses. I've only used it a little so far, but it's pretty sweet. I was going to get an installed thing, but I couldn't find a good spot to mount it, and I hate having installers touch my car, so this was a great compromise, and it's portable.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:14 PM
MAC USERS RULE

Originally Posted by foolioness
Install the Parrot CK3000. It'll hook up to your 4 front speakers. It'll take about a week to learn how to hook it up yourself. But I think its worth it. For me it is because it stays hidden behind the console. Its about $100 + wire harness + time to install. I spent a total of $200. That's $120 for the kit and $80 on the harnessed. I didn't want to cut the factory wires.
where did you get the wire harness that adaps to your stock wires? I have the CK3100 and I don't want to cut the wires.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JAXFLTSX
where did you get the wire harness that adaps to your stock wires? I have the CK3100 and I don't want to cut the wires.
i did an install on one of these units on a TSX, save the money and cut the wires, if you cut them in the right spot, Acura would never notice
Old 10-12-2005, 01:36 PM
iVTEC no koe

Am I the only one that thinks Bluetooth in the car is rather pointless when compared to the universally compatibile Bluetooth headsets? Since it's installed on to your car.... you'd have to hang up (or switch over to the actual phone) once you leave your car.

Personally, I use the Bluetooth headset that came with my V3.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by HoRRo
Am I the only one that thinks Bluetooth in the car is rather pointless when compared to the universally compatibile Bluetooth headsets? Since it's installed on to your car.... you'd have to hang up (or switch over to the actual phone) once you leave your car.

Headsets are nice, but I don't like having to carry extra accessories in my pocket.

I really like the bluetooth kit in my TSX because of the seamless integration. I just leave the phone in pocket. When I get in the car and turn my ignition on, the phone connects to my car automatically. Then when I get a call. It mutes my stereo, so I know that a call is coming in.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
CT just passed the "We think you are incapable of doing more than one simple task at a time, so you can no longer hold your cell phone while you drive" law, effective Saturday, so I bought a BT thingy last night. I got the Motorola HF820, it was $99 at Best Buy. Here it is:

It has an internal battery, so you charge it for a couple hours, then it has like 5 hours of talk time, or XX of standby. It is about the size of a cell phone. It uses the same charger as the Motorola phones (and comes with an in car charger. It also has a clip (just like a cell phone holster) that clips to your visor. I used it today, and at speeds up to about 50, there were no issues with the sunroof open. It has a couple buttons on it, mute, power/volume, and send/end/flash/dial. You can also program it to use the voice commands your phone uses. I've only used it a little so far, but it's pretty sweet. I was going to get an installed thing, but I couldn't find a good spot to mount it, and I hate having installers touch my car, so this was a great compromise, and it's portable.
That thing looks pretty cool. Although for a little more you can get a full on bluetooth car kit. If you can do the bluetooth car kit install yourself, then it wouldn't be that much more expensive all one.

One advantage of the thing you have is the portablility. You can take it car to car and even into your work if you wanted too. Not too bad. Does it work well at highway speeds like 75-90 with the sunroof and windows closed?
Old 10-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Professional SLACKER

Originally Posted by JAXFLTSX
Got the harnesses from www.installer.com .

I got the harness for 04 Honda accord harnesses male/female (part #ending 0 and 1)

And the harnesses for 87 VW male/female. I believe these will connects you to the speakers.

These will cost you about roughly $50. I spent $90 cuz dumb ass me ordered the wrong harness.

Hope this helps
Old 10-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Professional SLACKER

It all depends on what you need. For portability, this will be great. If you want something more permanent, I would suggest get something nicer that you can integrate to the car.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:05 AM

Thing works great at 80+ (not gonna say how much more plus.... ). You have to manually push a button to turn it on every time you get in the car, but it doesn't annoy me (though pushing the "OK" on the Nav doesn't bother me either...). You can push and hold the same button to turn it off, or it will automatically turn off after 5 minutes of being out of range of your phone. I haven't gotten around to programming voice commands on the phone, so I sometimes have to manually dial, but if you push and hold the blue button, it calls the last number you made/received a call from. I wanted the built in kit, but I couldn't find a space I wanted them to install it, and I didn't feel comfortable installing it myself (electrical stuff is fine, but I didn't want to scratch interior panels, run wires, etc). Other drawback is that you have to either charge it in the car, and there is no easy way to have it both mounted so someone can hear you AND so the thing can charge. So I use it all week, and then charge it one weekend night. No biggie. I also like that it is very unobtrusive, I keep the BT clipped to the visor right next to my XM Commander remote. Clean, out of the way, and a passing thief would just think it is a garage door opener.

Also, my phone is a Motorola E815 on Verizon, I don't know how well it will/won't work with a different phone.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by HoRRo

Well, personally, I use the "I'm getting into my car" or "I just got to XXXX so I need to go" excuse to get off the phone with whoever, usually my GF...I'll sit and talk for a minute or two in the car, but it's a convenient excuse to go shop or whatver in peace

Personally, I think the people who walk around with those headsets look like huge tools, and 100% more so when they aren't even on the phone. It's kinda queer to have one on in the car, but you are a fully qualified rectum jester if you walk around the mall or whever with one on. And don't even get me started on the people who wear the corded earpiece and hold the phone in one hand out in front of them; if you are gonna hold the phone anyway, why not hold it up to your face like a normal person?

That minor rant aside, I also like that I can bring the BT thing when I travel, or go in a different car. I often drive my GF's car when I fly out to see her (I live in CT, she in Chicago), so I can throw it in the carry on and bring it along. And, when I sell the TSX/get a second car, it is a 2 second job to "switch it over." Although, I don't know how well it would work in my planned S2000
Old 10-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Honda Guy 3 things

1. The law passed for cell phones bans in cars because the number one leading cause of accidents is distractions. This law wasn't for people that can drive and talk at the same time (maybe thats you and me). But it was designed so that people that can't, won't try to, and wreck us one day in the future cause they looked down to turn off their phone instead of realizing you stopped at the red light in front of him.
2. You don't need to program voice commands on the e815 (i have the same phone), the internal program is actually quite good at decrypting speech, unless you speak with a huge accent.
3. Theres a better reason to why people walk around with headsets and their phone whereever (whether it be in their pocket, or hand etc). Its mainly a health issue. The radiation presented in cell phones is not good for you, and shouldn't be guided into your head. Especially for those buisnessmen that are constantly on the go and constantly on the phone - 8 hours of cell phone next to your head/365 days/years and years is a whole lotta radiation going into them. Its been said that children who have used cell phones somewhat ocasionally at the age of 15 and younger have an increased chance of alzheimers - go figure.

Not trying to offend you, but trying to enlighten your view on these things. I myself use a BT headset around whether im at the apartment or out doing something, its more of a hassle and actually less comfortable to a point, but at least i know its not cell phone rays flying directly into my right ear drum.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by acn684
Honda Guy 3 things

1. The law passed for cell phones bans in cars because the number one leading cause of accidents is distractions. This law wasn't for people that can drive and talk at the same time (maybe thats you and me). But it was designed so that people that can't, won't try to, and wreck us one day in the future cause they looked down to turn off their phone instead of realizing you stopped at the red light in front of him.
I understand the danger of driving with a cell phone. HOWEVER, I have also read numerous studies that say the danger with a cell phone is NOT a loss of motor skills due to holding the phone against the side of your grill, it is due to the mental distraction. A hands free kit does ZERO to eliminate mental distraction. Therefore, what is the point? This law is not designed to save lives, it is designed to make it LOOK like the politicians are doing something.
2. You don't need to program voice commands on the e815 (i have the same phone), the internal program is actually quite good at decrypting speech, unless you speak with a huge accent.[
I haven't looked too closely at the phone or BT instructions, maybe I will take a look this weekend. Thanks.

3. Theres a better reason to why people walk around with headsets and their phone whereever (whether it be in their pocket, or hand etc). Its mainly a health issue. The radiation presented in cell phones is not good for you, and shouldn't be guided into your head. Especially for those buisnessmen that are constantly on the go and constantly on the phone - 8 hours of cell phone next to your head/365 days/years and years is a whole lotta radiation going into them. Its been said that children who have used cell phones somewhat ocasionally at the age of 15 and younger have an increased chance of alzheimers - go figure.

Not trying to offend you, but trying to enlighten your view on these things. I myself use a BT headset around whether im at the apartment or out doing something, its more of a hassle and actually less comfortable to a point, but at least i know its not cell phone rays flying directly into my right ear drum.
Just my 2 cents.

Is the BT radiation safer? Do you keep the phone in your pocket next to your family jewels instead of next to your grey matter? I remain unconvinced the radiation is any big f'ing deal. Besides, the majority of people I see with the headsets at the mall, etc, are not the type who have read/are concerned about radiation, they are people who think the BT headset is a great status symbol that goes with their Sean Jean coat or Abercrombie shirt. I think it is the 21st century equivalent of a pocket protector.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

I can understand what you mean by status, however I myself use it because its better for my health. I keep my phone in my backpack and call using only through the BT whether voice dial or whatever. i think bt radiation is safer because its a weaker signal output. Cell phones recieve radio waves that come from miles and miles away. BT can only broadcast 50m at best.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:32 PM

Well, personally, I use the "I'm getting into my car" or "I just got to XXXX so I need to go" excuse to get off the phone with whoever, usually my GF...I'll sit and talk for a minute or two in the car, but it's a convenient excuse to go shop or whatver in peace

Personally, I think the people who walk around with those headsets look like huge tools, and 100% more so when they aren't even on the phone. It's kinda queer to have one on in the car, but you are a fully qualified rectum jester if you walk around the mall or whever with one on. And don't even get me started on the people who wear the corded earpiece and hold the phone in one hand out in front of them; if you are gonna hold the phone anyway, why not hold it up to your face like a normal person?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Motohip

Come on man, you didn't even highlight the funniest part...I said "Rectum Jester."

Rectum Jester! That's fucking hilarious!!
Old 10-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Only Acuras Since '93

A Story

I hope it's not OT if I tell my Best Cell Phone Story Ever here.

I'm in a line of cars just starting forward because the light turned green. A guy holding a cell phone to his left ear, taking advantage of the fact I've just gotten moving, pulls out of a gas station on the right, then stops dead right in front of me because he's waiting for a break in the traffic to his right, so he can turn LEFT.

So I lean on the horn. And with the same left hand he's holding his phone with, he tries to flip me the bird.

And he drops his phone onto the pavement.

He gets his break and starts pulling onto the shoulder of the opposite lane, so he can get out and retrieve his phone.

But... as I proceed, now that my path is unblocked... I hear the sweetest *crunch* ever.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:47 PM
First US '06 TSX on board

I understand the danger of driving with a cell phone. HOWEVER, I have also read numerous studies that say the danger with a cell phone is NOT a loss of motor skills due to holding the phone against the side of your grill, it is due to the mental distraction. A hands free kit does ZERO to eliminate mental distraction. Therefore, what is the point? This law is not designed to save lives, it is designed to make it LOOK like the politicians are doing something.
Of corse it is safer to have both hands available for driving. You should not need a study to tell you that and any study that tells you otherwise has an agenda. I guess that with your logic, 'the politicians' would have to ban talking to your family member in the passenger seat while driving.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:25 PM
10th Gear

Can you elaborate on your bluetooth setup? Which kit, what year, etc.?

Originally Posted by Tsx536
That thing looks pretty cool. Although for a little more you can get a full on bluetooth car kit. If you can do the bluetooth car kit install yourself, then it wouldn't be that much more expensive all one.

One advantage of the thing you have is the portablility. You can take it car to car and even into your work if you wanted too. Not too bad. Does it work well at highway speeds like 75-90 with the sunroof and windows closed?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Originally Posted by pyc103
Can you elaborate on your bluetooth setup? Which kit, what year, etc.?
Welcome to the site man

I have the Nokia CARK112 bluetooth kit w/ the mute output hooked up to my Pioneer N2. I've had my setup for about a year now, so there are better kits out such as the Parrot kit, or Motorola kit. My kit is in a 2004 TSX.