Bike Rack for 2005 TSX with spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:37 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bike Rack for 2005 TSX with spoiler?

I have a 2005 TSX with an Acura spoiler on the back, and the Acura body spoilers around the bottom of the car. I also have a moon roof with visor on the top.

Looking for a bike rack that fits. I have yet to find one.

Tried a Thule Roadway that was supposed to be for my model car, and it would've worked except for the spoiler on the back. The cables for the clips are made just long enough to fit a car withOUT a spoiler, but are too short with one.
The bigger problem is that the whole bike rack rests on the spoiler -- not the back of the trunk -- so the spoiler would get all the weight and probably crack in half.

So, can't do a trunk-mounted bike rack, and can't do a top-mounted one either because of the moon roof / visor.

Anybody out there have this sort of setup WITH a bike rack? If so, would be really interested in learning how you solved the issue.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you can't put the bike inside the car, a good option would be a hitch mounted rack. It will hold the bike securely and you don't run the risk of damaging the spoiler/paint.

And as a bonus you can physically lock the bike/rack to the automobile.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PenaltyShot
I have a 2005 TSX with an Acura spoiler on the back, and the Acura body spoilers around the bottom of the car. I also have a moon roof with visor on the top.

Looking for a bike rack that fits. I have yet to find one.

Tried a Thule Roadway that was supposed to be for my model car, and it would've worked except for the spoiler on the back. The cables for the clips are made just long enough to fit a car withOUT a spoiler, but are too short with one.
The bigger problem is that the whole bike rack rests on the spoiler -- not the back of the trunk -- so the spoiler would get all the weight and probably crack in half.

So, can't do a trunk-mounted bike rack, and can't do a top-mounted one either because of the moon roof / visor.

Anybody out there have this sort of setup WITH a bike rack? If so, would be really interested in learning how you solved the issue.
I could be wrong on this, but I just got a Yakima roof rack for my car. They say that the sun roof gets in the way, but you can move it really to where you want. As of right now, there isn't a problem opening it and closing it. I would check out Yakima's website and they have a fitment guide. Check it out and good luck
Old 05-20-2013, 11:49 PM
10th Gear

Thanks, guys.

Mskierki, can you give me a specific example of a hitch mount for the TSX?

And Grey, what model of Yakima are you using?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:10 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
you can run a roof rack without the faring. you'll have more wind noise, but you can do it. the round bars of the yakima rack allow you to have some flexibility in placement as long as the roof line and the clip are flush.

if you go to etrailer you can see what class I hitch is available for the TSX. they may even have an install video for it as well.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I use one on my wife's '08. Can't recall the brand but the straps do go over the spoiler and attach to the trunk lip under the rear window and are adjustable. I use two micro fiber towels to place between the straps and spolier - no marring issues yet. The rack holds two bikes. It is also completely adjustable to fit many stytes of mid-size sedans.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 AM
10th Gear

My main worry with this Thule trunk rack was that, even if the straps would've reached, the whole weight of the rack was on the spoiler. And the spoiler doesn't seem like the strongest or sturdiest thing in the world.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:00 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
trunk racks no touchie the paintie.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the Yakima one with the Q clips and the fairing. I just moved up closer to the windshield and no problems at all....just be careful because you can scratch your paint if done incorrectly like I did lol