Avoid Acura Of Pleasanton's (California) Service Department!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 08:23 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Avoid Acura Of Pleasanton's (California) Service Department!!

AVOID ACURA OF PLEASANTON'S SERVICE DEPARTMENT AT ALL COST! This is an unscrupulous dealership. Absolutly the worst service department I've ever dealt with.

My 2005 TSX has only 20k miles on it, so there's still 30k miles left on the warranty. A couple of weeks ago I took her in for what I thought was some minor warrantee fixes. Little did I know... The way I was treated by this dealership was nothing short of despicable.

The dealership's henchman, Service Manager Bruce Peters, basically refused to perform any warrantee work for me, and treated me like dirt.

Problem 1: Split along the stitched seam on the driver's-side seat back bolster.

The Service Manager refused to fix the split in the stitching because he claims:
1) that I get into the car "wrong" (whatever that means). He claims that I brush against the side-bolster of the seat, and that this is not the correct way to get into the car. I asked where in the owners manual it describes the "correct" way to get into the car to no avail.
2) that I wear the wrong kind of pants. Yes, you read that right. The guy told me that blue jeans tend to scuff the leather, and that I might not have this problem if I wore slacks. Apparently getting into the car with Levis is not considered "normal use" under the terms of the warrantee.
3) that I should have taken it back to the dealer who sold me the car (in Sacramento, about 80 miles away). Ya, I don't get it, either. That's not what the warrantee says...

He finished blowing me off by saying that after only 20,000 miles I had "worn the seat out" and that I would have to pay to have it fixed. Understand, I really only use this car to take my daughter to daycare in the morning and for an occasional drive. I work 3 miles from home, so I don't even have a commute.

The good news is that I have this creep on videotape saying all of this! I also taped him demonstrating the "proper" method of getting into the car (twice) and his butt hit within a fraction of an inch of the spot on the side bolster that my "abnormal" ingress motion hits. Even though I had him on tape, he denied that he came anywhere near it. When I demonstrated how I get into the car, the jerk told me, "that's not how you get in." I'm not kidding, the guy just met me and never seen me get into the car and he has the gall to call me a liar. Now THAT'S customer service!

Problem 2: Defective CD Player

Good ol' Bruce also refused to replace my CD player that has a tendancy to intermittently skip and/or loose it's place on discs. It's a completely random problem, and happens with pre-recorded and CD-R discs. Tough-guy Bruce said that they didn't observe it skipping, so they won't replace it. When I asked him what possible motivation I could have to ask for a new CD player if it worked OK, he admitted that he couldn't think of any-- but he still refused to replace it.

Apparently the customer's word is not good enough for Acura of Pleasanton. So it looks like the only way I can get a CD player that works correctly is if I drive to the dealership with it skipping or carry my camcorder at all times and make a recording of it skipping. Actually, considering how reluctant these guys are to fix anything under warrantee, I doubt that taped evidence would be good enough to get a new unit.

Both of these problems are supposed to be covered under warrantee, and this dealership simply refuses to do the work based on the flimsiest of excuses. Honda reimburses the dealership for warrantee work, so other than the fact that I bought the car at another dealer, I don't understand what their problem is. Maybe it's the dealership, or maybe Service Manager Bruce just enjoys being a giant a-hole.

Way-back-when my Nissan dealer replaced a defective tape deck on my old Sentra just on my say-so that there was a problem (in addition to other fixes), and that car cost half as much as the TSX. Our local Toyota dealer has been fine when it comes to warrantee service on our minivan, and I know that the local Audi dealer did a ton of work on my brother-in-law's A4 and never questioned what he said, or refused to do the work. Needless to say, this is not the kind of customer service I was expecting on a $30k+ car. God forbid something serious should go wrong...

Hey, here's an example of just how knowledgeable the service department is at Acura of Pleasanton...

On the same visit I had them do a minor service (oil change, etc.). When I picked up the car I was scolded for previously running Mobile 1 in my TSX because:
1) they said Mobile 1 is "too thin". Apparently they don't understand the basic concept of the oil viscosity rating.
2) they claim the owners manual specifically says that synthetic oil is not recommended on the TSX. Actually, the manual says that the use of synthetic oil is perfectly acceptible.
3) they assert that you can't switch back to conventional oil once you start using synthetic. I have no idea of where this comment comes from.

All of this information is, of course, wrong. Just more quality service from your friends at Acura of Pleasanton.

Jeez, they didn't even wash my car, even though they said that they would do it for me.

My advice is to take your car to a dealership that doesn't try and get out of their warranty obligations with flimsy excuses. I wouldn't trust these bozos to tune up my kid's bicycle, let alone my car.

By the way, I'll be posting the video of my good buddy Bruce the service manager telling me that my warrantee is void because I wear the wrong kind of pants on YouTube soon. I'll post a link when it's up.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Not Driving, Just Posting

my only suggestion is to go over his head and contact the BBB
Old 03-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Write a letter to Honda Client Services and the BBB.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:19 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SeanS627
my only suggestion is to go over his head and contact the BBB
Ya, that's an option, but I really just want the car fixed. I'm going to go to another local dealer (that isn't owned by the same company) and give them a shot. It might work, it might not, but at least I'd have tried the easy route. I'd like to believe that Acura isn't a completely evil company and that this is just a case of a service manager with a very bad attitude. If this an Acura-wide problem, then I'm really going to regret that I bought this car. As it stands right now, I already do regret buing it. Thanks, Bruce, for ruining my ownership experience. I was happy until now...

One way or another, Bruce the Service Manager (or the dealership) isn't going to enjoy having the video of him treating a customer like crap posted to YouTube. If the car gets fixed by the other dealer then he might get lucky and I may not post it just because I've got better things to do with my time...
Old 03-29-2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by b_waxson
Ya, that's an option, but I really just want the car fixed. I'm going to go to another local dealer (that isn't owned by the same company) and give them a shot. It might work, it might not, but at least I'd have tried the easy route. I'd like to believe that Acura isn't a completely evil company and that this is just a case of a service manager with a very bad attitude. If this an Acura-wide problem, then I'm really going to regret that I bought this car. As it stands right now, I already do regret buing it. Thanks, Bruce, for ruining my ownership experience. I was happy until now...

One way or another, Bruce the Service Manager (or the dealership) isn't going to enjoy having the video of him treating a customer like crap posted to YouTube. If the car gets fixed by the other dealer then he might get lucky and I may not post it just because I've got better things to do with my time...

call DATELINE or some news organization to do a consumer report on it

it'll make it for GOOD TV, believe me I work for a TV station
Old 03-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Car Nut

Sorry to hear about that. that is absolute proof that it just takes one butt hole to make the whole customer experience go to crap.

You are absolutely right: you should expect better service on a 30K+ car. Any rip in a seat at 20K miles is just ridiculous, and the only way to deal with this should be to repair it and apologize profusely to the customer.

I'm not getting what your idiotic service manager stands to gain with not performing the work under warranty. the only thing I'm thinking of is that Honda pays the dealership a flat fee for warranty work, while they could likely scam you for way more money.

and let's not talk about the ridiculous information about the synthetic oil
Old 03-29-2007, 11:40 PM
Intermediate

I can't wait to watch this video...I need a good laugh.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:56 PM
Racer

I can just picture a fat ugly guy with no life what so ever!
Old 03-30-2007, 12:54 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in for the video too.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:18 AM
in HKDM land!

WOW, that seems you were mis-treated at Acura of Pleasanton and with those kind of remarks about your pants and the style of "getting in your car" is complete BS and un-professional.

I am also shocked to see you receive such bad service, when on other threads I've posted, Acura of Pleasanton gave me GREAT service. It is complete opposite of my experiences. I too have a 2005 TSX, and I went to Acura of Pleasanton more than 5 times (for oil changes, minor services, etc). They even replaced both my driver and passenger seats (due to the blue ink streak on the side of the seat seams) with no hesitation and their service was awesome.

I have dealt with Bruce before, and he was very respectful and professional at the time. It's wierd to see such a reputable guy mistreat his customers and pull so much BS.

But I do agree with you that those parts should be replaced under warranty. Definately contact BBB and report this mistreatment. I have no clue why he was such a "creep". Best of luck to you and hope you get everything resolved.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:49 AM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
video
Old 03-30-2007, 08:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Wow @ the pants.

I'd have been on the phone with Acura as soon as you left.

Can't wait for the vid.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles! However, service varies from dealer to dealer within all brands, not just Acura. You just have to find a good one, which sometimes isn't all that easy.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Just dial 1911

Let's get that video up. I really have a hard time believing this until I see it. And if its all true, fuck the BBB, show it to the GM and find out who the District Service Manager is and show it to them as well. Call Acura Customer Service too.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt
Let's get that video up. I really have a hard time believing this until I see it. And if its all true, fuck the BBB, show it to the GM and find out who the District Service Manager is and show it to them as well. Call Acura Customer Service too.
I want to see blood.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Senior Moderator

No matter what you do, post that video. Then do as posted above and see if he's still working there in 2 weeks.

I have also had an unfortunate run-in with a jerk service adviser, which has greatly tainted my otherwise high opinions of the brand and the dealership. I requested another service adviser who thankfully agreed to perform the TSB work, not even a warranty issue!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by Reach
No matter what you do, post that video. Then do as posted above and see if he's still working there in 2 weeks.

I have also had an unfortunate run-in with a jerk service adviser, which has greatly tainted my otherwise high opinions of the brand and the dealership. I requested another service adviser who thankfully agreed to perform the TSB work, not even a warranty issue!
I just dont understand how these guys could be such assholes to people. And in this guys case, it sounds like he was doing this right in front of anyone that would have been in earshot at the dealer!

Are you guys just being overly aggressive when talking to these guys about what needs to be done? I mean, really, I can be an asshole, but I've never had this at a car dealer. In fact, I've always had my ass kissed at my dealer nearly every time. I've found the firm, but gentile approach works best

And if I had the service you had, as soon as the "jeans" comment was made, I've would have been talking to his manager, or his managers manager and have it out right there. Unreal.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:10 PM
10th Gear

Are you guys just being overly aggressive when talking to these guys about what needs to be done? I mean, really, I can be an asshole, but I've never had this at a car dealer. In fact, I've always had my ass kissed at my dealer nearly every time. I've found the firm, but gentile approach works best

And if I had the service you had, as soon as the "jeans" comment was made, I've would have been talking to his manager, or his managers manager and have it out right there. Unreal.
I had no reason to be aggressive when I dropped the car off because I naturally assumed that the problems were going to be fixed. In fact, the service consultant commented that "your being so nice" when I sat in the waiting area and didn't complain after 40 minutes while waiting for my loaner car to arrive. I did start getting pissed off when I went to pick up my car. I had already paid for the minor service (during which time I was chastised for running Mobile 1), and I was going to go back to work. It wasn't until I got to my car that I found that they hadn't fixed my seat. They didn't bother telling me that the work wasn't done, I had to figure that out for myself.

I walked back in and asked the service consultant why the seat was still ripped. She told me that the service manager looked at it and that I get into the car "wrong", and that the work was not covered.

After a few questions about how one can get into a car the "wrong" way, I asked if they had, at least, replaced the CD player. I was told that they "put a scratched disc in and it didn't skip". Then I was told that their policy is that they won't replace the CD player unless they observe it malfunctioning. Needless to say I was not happy at this point, but I wasn't yelling at anyone. Frankly, I was kind of in shock. Mr. Bruce wasn't available when I picked the car up. I went back later in the day and talked to another Service guy and he said that Bruce was in a meeting and that I had to talk to him and to come back later.

I went back the next day with my camcorder 'cause I kind of knew where this was heading. Bruce knew who I was, of course. I didn't walk in with my camera on, or anything; it was in my backpack... I wasn't looking for a fight, I just wanted the car fixed. Bruce immediately told me that the seat was not going to be covered because I get into the car "wrong", and that we should go look at it so that he could show me what I had been doing "wrong". There was no way I wasn't going to document this, so out came the camera as we were walking to car.

Things kind of degenerated from there. I'm kind of ashamed to admit that after a while of these ridiculous excuses I kind of lost it on the guy, but it really didn't matter at that point. He had made up his mind that he was going to give me the brush off before he met me. I actually called later and apologized for loosing my cool. I was pissed off, and deservedly so, but that's not what I wanted to have happen. Bruce, of course, didn't apologize for treating my like shit or for not doing the work.

Let's get that video up. [snip] show it to the GM and find out who the District Service Manager is and show it to them as well. Call Acura Customer Service too.
I asked Bruce for the contact information of the District Manage. His name is Ross Wesner. I called the number that he provided and it was the number of Acura customer relations. They didn't know who Ross was. I called Bruce and told him that he didn't provide Ross' phone number, and he said that the District Managers work out of their homes (as if that means they don't have a phone). He wouldn't give me a direct phone number but said that he would have Ross contact me, if I wanted. Sorry, but Bruce already has a little too much control in this situation, so I said, "no thanks".

As for the video, I've got a 1-year-old and my wife and I both work, so I don't have a lot of time to digitize it. I'll get to it when I get a chance... promise.

He made the "pants" comment in the heat of the moment, but never the less, he said it... His main line of reasoning was the BS line that I get into the car "wrong". In his little demonstration, he goes into detail about some ridiculous path that my body supposedly takes getting into the seat. As far as I'm concerned, no matter how I get into the seat, it is "Normal Use" of the seat, unless I do something REALLY ABNORMAL like wearing sharp knives on my belt when I get in. A seat shouldn't wear out after 20,000 miles no matter what trajectory my butt takes to get in the car.

If anyone has contact information for this Ross Wesner, I'd love to get it...
Old 03-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Instructor

I always go to Oakland Acura never have any problems there, I stopped going to the Pleasanton one even though it's closest to my house because I had the same problem with the people there!
Old 03-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Just dial 1911

If anyone has contact information for this Ross Wesner, I'd love to get it...
Hmmmm, I wonder if your DSM is the same as mine? We're both in SoCal...

They worked on my tranny a few weeks back. Maybe I can call my dealer, tell them I want to give them kudos for the good work and they might give me his number?

I guess I could try...I'll let you know...

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought for some reason Pleasanton was in LA
Old 03-30-2007, 01:50 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by dailo
I always go to Oakland Acura never have any problems there, I stopped going to the Pleasanton one even though it's closest to my house because I had the same problem with the people there!
Just talked to a friend of mine that has a Legend and he also had good things to say about Oakland. Maybe I'll give them a try. I really just want this over with...
Old 03-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Just talked to a friend of mine that has a Legend and he also had good things to say about Oakland. Maybe I'll give them a try. I really just want this over with...
It's a shame that a good customer has to suffer through such despicable treatment, but that's the reality of finding a good dealer service dept. I would definitely try to get your problems fixed at another dealership before giving up on Acura. My experiences have always been good with the company (here in the midwest.) I cannot fathom why they would not replace the CD player on your word, particularly if you explained to them that it was an intermittent problem, not reproducable at will. I've had dealers not fix problems before when they could not reproduce the effects, but only where the cause of the problem (and thus which part to replace) was unknown. And for me the whole seat/pants/proper-entry thing is just too weird to even think about. I think I'd be tempted to ask Bruce for his badge number (his Dress-Code Police ID.)
Old 03-30-2007, 07:36 PM
10th Gear

Wow!

UPDATE:

I've just received a phone call from my buddy Bruce at Acura of Pleasanton and now he wants to work with me to resolve my concerns. I've been told that the district sales manager can authorize these repairs and I've got an appointment to meet with him in a couple of weeks. I'll keep you all posted, but at this point I'm guessing that their going to fix the seat and CD player so that this will go away.

Thanks, everyone, for the support!

GOD BLESS THE POWER OF THE INTERNET!!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
UPDATE:

I've just received a phone call from my buddy Bruce at Acura of Pleasanton and now he wants to work with me to resolve my concerns. I've been told that the district sales manager can authorize these repairs and I've got an appointment to meet with him in a couple of weeks. I'll keep you all posted, but at this point I'm guessing that their going to fix the seat and CD player so that this will go away.

But we still want to see the video.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:49 PM
'06 TSX/ASM/Ebony/5AT/Nav

Angry I'd chip in my experience as well

Don't want to steal this thread, but I had a very similar experience at another Bay area Acura dealer

It's about another Acura dealer in bay area: Mike Harvey Acura of Burlingame!

I left my 2006 TSX for the famous 'driver's seat squeaking' thing-y. It was in Feb'07, so the problem must have been well known to the service manager. He told me he would look into it (at that time I didn't know about TSB 06-018). When I went to pick up the car, they gave the perfect excuse - "couldn't reproduce the problem". I rode the vehicle with a technician, and sure enough, the squeaking was there big time. After the drive, the tech did a 'hush-hush' talk with the technician and proclaimed "it was perfectly normal". The service manager told me: "whenever you are making a sharp turn, there's nothing you can do to stop the seat from making noise". Hello!! My 2001 Civic didn't make such noises. But there was no problem with arguing those guys; so I left, searched this awesome forum, and went back to Hopkins Acura with the same problem, and I let them know beforehand that I know all about TSB 06-018. The problem was fixed alright.

Three points:
1. Put Mike Harvey in the not-so-scrupulous service dept. list.
2. Information is your power
3. Acurazine
Old 03-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

i had a bad service experience with Acura of Pleasanton too. they didn't give me back my OEM TL parts when they installed my A spec kit. i eventually got replacements tho.

the sales team was nice tho. just the service dept SUCKS!

i've never spoken to bruce peters, yet but from my bad experience the first time around, i try to avoid acura of pleasanton.

i've heard good things about the service dept at Acura of Oakland tho.

POST THE VIDEO!!!!

goodluck!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Advanced

You made a few online articles: http://consumerist.com/consumer/car-...nts-248585.php

Best of luck
Old 03-30-2007, 09:50 PM
Pro

Power to the people!!! Good job guys.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:43 AM
Just dial 1911

UPDATE:

Interesting. So why the change of heart? Did you ask?

Video time.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:23 PM
Instructor

Holy shit. That's kind of scary. The problems with your car are legitimate issues that fall under warranty.

I purchased my TSX at Acura of Pleasanton and I was going to take it there in the next week or two because I have some rattles i want fixed under warranty. I was also going to have my A-spec suspension installed there. I would choose another place, but I work just down the street. Now I'm worried I'm going to have yell at this guy to get what I want. I hate yelling.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:25 PM
10th Gear

Avoid Acura of Concord's Service Department, too.

I'm going to go to another local dealer (that isn't owned by the same company) and give them a shot. It might work, it might not, but at least I'd have tried the easy route. I'd like to believe that Acura isn't a completely evil company and that this is just a case of a service manager with a very bad attitude.

I took the car to Concord Acura Friday morning to see if they'd make the repair, and their Service Manager (I didn't get his name) gave me the same line of BS that I get into the car "wrong". Looks like they don't want to do legit warrany work, either.

I don't think I'll be using them any time soon.

Use Concord Acura's Service department at your own risk!
Old 04-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Just dial 1911

I took the car to Concord Acura Friday morning to see if they'd make the repair, and their Service Manager (I didn't get his name) gave me the same line of BS that I get into the car "wrong". Looks like they don't want to do legit warrany work, either.

I don't think I'll be using them any time soon.

Use Concord Acura's Service department at your own risk!
C'mon dude, are you serious?
Old 04-02-2007, 12:52 PM
10th Gear

Test before paying!

Originally Posted by Roffles
Holy shit. That's kind of scary. The problems with your car are legitimate issues that fall under warranty.

I purchased my TSX at Acura of Pleasanton and I was going to take it there in the next week or two because I have some rattles i want fixed under warranty. I was also going to have my A-spec suspension installed there. I would choose another place, but I work just down the street. Now I'm worried I'm going to have yell at this guy to get what I want. I hate yelling.

I'd recommend taking the car in for the warranty work first. I wouldn't count on them fixing it for you, but you never know...If they take care of it to your satisfaction, then maybe I'd let them install the A-spec hardware (well, actually, I wouldn't). If they don't take care of you for the warranty work then try Oakland Acura.

If Pleasanton's Service Department doesn't do the work for you, and this is important, send a message to the GENERAL manager of the dealership (bob.slap@hendrickauto.com) telling him that you're not going to have your PAID work done at his dealership because of the incident, and because of what you read on the Internet about their service department. If you're really in a bad mood, contact the OWNERSHIP.

http://www.hendrickauto.com/hendrick...ject=Corporate

Money talks!

Please post what happens, including with Oakland, if you go there. I want to know if they are any good!

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:48 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
C'mon dude, are you serious?

Sounds fishy.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by dom

Sounds fishy.
the guy's name is Bob Slap, wonder if his nickname is "trout"

:troutslap
Old 04-04-2007, 01:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SeanS627
the guy's name is Bob Slap, wonder if his nickname is "trout"

That's his name. He's the one who dealt me my deal for my car. He gave me the lowest possible interest rate on the market. I have nothing against the guy for the deal he got me. I do remember being annoyed when he initially approached me to talk money though. All I really remeber now is his overdressed atire, his musky cologne and his rolex watch....typical deuche-bag car salesman. But he knows his business and he got me a good deal.

I'm not afraid to make a scene if I feel like my warranty isn't being covered on a car I spent so much money on, so I'll put this dealership to the test!
Old 04-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Disinformation Terminator

I agree. This story is starting to disintegrate.

IMO, not replacing a CD player because it skips intermittently isn't out of bounds at all. It could be skipping because of dirty CD's, or who knows what. If the service department can't replicate it, they're under no mandate to replace it just because the customer says so.

Originally Posted by dom

Sounds fishy.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Roffles
That's his name. He's the one who dealt me my deal for my car. He gave me the lowest possible interest rate on the market. I have nothing against the guy for the deal he got me. I do remember being annoyed when he initially approached me to talk money though. All I really remeber now is his overdressed atire, his musky cologne and his rolex watch....typical deuche-bag car salesman. But he knows his business and he got me a good deal.

I'm not afraid to make a scene if I feel like my warranty isn't being covered on a car I spent so much money on, so I'll put this dealership to the test!
you totally missed the joke

Old 04-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
We demand the video!
Old 04-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Disinformation Terminator

Something tells me we're never going to see the video.....

Quick Reply: Avoid Acura Of Pleasanton's (California) Service Department!!