Aux cable for iPod--I am such a jackass!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face Aux cable for iPod--I am such a jackass!

Ok..I feel really stupid to say that I have had my TSX for a year now and just recently discovered that I can connect my iPod to the car with a $10 cable through the aux jack (which I did not know existed.)

Am I crazy or did someone here have a whole thread about tearing out the center and wiring their iPod in the car? I thought it would be a big huge process, but after READING THE MANUAL I realized that the pod could be connected in seconds.

Ok...so call me a dumbass and let's get on with it. Thank you Captain Obvious!!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Haha...Well the 04/05 TSX didn't have the AUX adapter, so yeah we use to have to tear the dash part.

The 06 TSX has the nice AUX in port. Too bad you didn't find it until now, but hey at least you found it...haha It's better than finding it the day before you're about to sell the car.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 06's and up had the AUX cable built in. 04 and 05 needed some special rigging. I was on the fence about getting a TSX, but once I saw the AUX cable and Bluetooth integration I was sold. For some reason the alternative was an S2000 for me, even though the cars aren't in the same category.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok..I feel a little better knowing that someone did in fact probably tear open the dash and post about it. I just should have read more carefully because he was prob driving an 04 or 05.

So now I'm happy that I found it and, yes, bluetooth was a major, major selling point for me as well. However, I kinda hate using it. I guess I'm just what my husband (who is a computer tech) would call a "12:00 flasher".

(as a post script: Hubby did not read the damn manual either and had an iPod way before I did. I think that makes him a bigger jackass. I will remind him of this when he gets home tonight. )
Old 05-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even though I have an 06 with this jack, I still installed an aux ipod solution, since it has a docking cable connection to the ipod instead of the standard headphone jack. This enables line-out quality audio (better than headphones) and allows the steering wheel controls to work with the ipod, and charge it while it plays. Just saying, there is still a reason to install a full ipod interface for some people like me who prefer to have it like that.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Reach
Even though I have an 06 with this jack, I still installed an aux ipod solution, since it has a docking cable connection to the ipod instead of the standard headphone jack. This enables line-out quality audio (better than headphones) and allows the steering wheel controls to work with the ipod, and charge it while it plays. Just saying, there is still a reason to install a full ipod interface for some people like me who prefer to have it like that.

I did the same, and agree - the sound quality is much better.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Car Nut

Interesting... i didn't think that the sound quality would be that much better. I think that the sound quality is OK with the jack, as long as the volume is maxed on the iPod. If I ever install an aux ipod kit, it will likely be so I can use the steering wheel controls, instead of having to use the iPod controls...

Which one did you guys install? USASpec ?
Old 05-16-2007, 11:22 PM
my acura sanctuary

you don't need to install the USAspec type to get better sound quality (SQ) you can get line out level by using a dock or an appropriate ipod dock port cable. this route doesn't provide the steering wheel controls for track skip
Old 05-17-2007, 01:19 AM
I can't find my garage

haha i love how u bashed on yourself
Old 05-17-2007, 02:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by subdued
you don't need to install the USAspec type to get better sound quality (SQ) you can get line out level by using a dock or an appropriate ipod dock port cable. this route doesn't provide the steering wheel controls for track skip
Yeah, what he said.

I have this in my car right now.

http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...neout-usb.html

line level output, plus I have it connected to a car charger that accepts a usb cord, so I'm charging it also. Just can't use steering wheel controls, but i have my nano on a short lease, so i can change songs pretty easily. relatively inexpensive solution, and you don't need to install anything. great sound quality.

if musiclink worked like it was supposed to, and displayed id3 tags on the navi, that would've been the best way to go. oh well.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:03 AM
Intermediate

I recently bought an adapter similar to this one (mine is from Belkin):

http://www.sik.com/imp.php

I don't get the steering wheel controls but I do get the excellent audio hookup and the charging.

PS: Love this forum - leased an 07 ASM Quartz AT non-Nav three few weeks ago.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tsxfool
I recently bought an adapter similar to this one (mine is from Belkin):

http://www.sik.com/imp.php

I don't get the steering wheel controls but I do get the excellent audio hookup and the charging.

PS: Love this forum - leased an 07 ASM Quartz AT non-Nav three few weeks ago.
i use the same method but i have the belkin also. the belkin has a built in volume slider as well so you can further tweak the volume in relation to the TSX headunit volume, didn't see a volume knob on the sik model.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alucardx
the belkin has a built in volume slider as well so you can further tweak the volume in relation to the TSX headunit volume, didn't see a volume knob on the sik model.
I just ordered the SiK model today. When I bought the Belkin I saw the volume control on it and that was a negative - my experience being that (cheap?) volume controls inserted into a line-out signal can compromise the sound. Will I be able to hear any difference between the Belkin and the SiK? Will the iPod audio level without any adjustability be a satisfactory match, or will it be much louder or softer than my other sources (CD, XM, AM/FM)? We shall see . . .

I do kind of like the separate/detachable cables of the SiK.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Pro

lol that was just option B
Old 05-18-2007, 07:43 AM
kjv
Cruisin'

Here is the setup that I have and I think it works pretty well (minus being able to see my ipod display):

Belkin Auto Kit for iPod w/ Dock Connector:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=149006

Griffin AirClick:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclick/

In this setup I can charge my iPod and I can change/pause/play, etc the songs with the Griffin AirClick. What is also nice about the Belkin Auto Kit is when you turn off the car, it pauses your iPod for your automatically.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Advanced

I have the USA-Spec in my '05(which I gave to my daughter). In my '07 I use the aux jack and I haven't noticed any difference in sound quality.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:31 PM
08 MDX with Sports

ok we call you dumbass for not waiting a year to find AUX line-in but paying 10bux for the cable :P
Old 05-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Instructor

I didnt find out that my 06 Had a ZUX port till after i bought it. I was dumfounded when I saw that AUX port sitting under the Arm rest. I eneded buying the Belkin Auto Kit and then the Tune Dock. its a great set up when XM or the CDs dont fit the bill
Old 05-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Racer

as a follow up.. the AUX plug in my car from day one seems real sensitive the 1/8" patch cable i'm using right now. if it gets bumped, or i do a hard turn and my ipod touches the cable it typically moves almost all audio to the L channel and i have to wiggle the cable to get it back to stereo. also while wiggling i get the typcial static'y scratching sound you hear from over used headphone jacks that are real touchy.

this came up in another thread some time ago and the guy said he cut down the plastic 'end' on his cable so the AUX port has more room to fully insert the metal into.

any one else?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:55 PM
No Longer a Poseur

Originally Posted by alucardx
as a follow up.. the AUX plug in my car from day one seems real sensitive the 1/8" patch cable i'm using right now. if it gets bumped, or i do a hard turn and my ipod touches the cable it typically moves almost all audio to the L channel and i have to wiggle the cable to get it back to stereo. also while wiggling i get the typcial static'y scratching sound you hear from over used headphone jacks that are real touchy.

this came up in another thread some time ago and the guy said he cut down the plastic 'end' on his cable so the AUX port has more room to fully insert the metal into.

any one else?

I'd agree that the plug is too large a diameter and the thing isn't seating into the jack all the way. Radio Shack has some not-super-thick-connector cables, and they sound decent.....

I'm going to have to get me one of those Belkins, since I've got the AirClick setup, but with a Monster charger...and I will occasionally forget to pause the iPod before leaving the car.....
Old 06-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Advanced

im still curious to know of the 06-07 aux is a part that is easily ordered and a direct plug in play item that will plug right into the 05 radio vs getting a usaspec.. has anyone looked into the differences
Old 10-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SaraWI
Ok..I feel really stupid to say that I have had my TSX for a year now and just recently discovered that I can connect my iPod to the car with a $10 cable through the aux jack (which I did not know existed.)

Am I crazy or did someone here have a whole thread about tearing out the center and wiring their iPod in the car? I thought it would be a big huge process, but after READING THE MANUAL I realized that the pod could be connected in seconds.

Ok...so call me a dumbass and let's get on with it. Thank you Captain Obvious!!

New at this also, I just got a ipod, how do i and where do i get the aux cable from? do i need the whole kit wid the cigarette plug? please explain in detail thanks everyone.
Vic
Old 10-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by TOUCHOFDETAIL
New at this also, I just got a ipod, how do i and where do i get the aux cable from? do i need the whole kit wid the cigarette plug? please explain in detail thanks everyone.
Vic
Go to your local Radio Shack and buy a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male - like this one, for about $6. Or buy the one at the link for $6+shipping.

You can pay extra for the "gold plated ends" - the Radio Shack tech offered that one to me first for $13 - but I wouldn't bother.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
They intro'ed the AUX port in 2006, so don't go crazy trying to find it if you own a 2004 or 2005. As always, read your manual once in a while.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by hunterk1
Go to your local Radio Shack and buy a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male - like this one, for about $6. Or buy the one at the link for $6+shipping.

You can pay extra for the "gold plated ends" - the Radio Shack tech offered that one to me first for $13 - but I wouldn't bother.
Hows the sound quality with the aux cables? just as good?
Old 10-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
In my '04 (precusor to my '06 RL) I had the DICE unit - it worked well. In the '08 TSX I use the Belkin car charger with the aux jack and the sound is just as good as my DICE unit. I was expecting a dimenished quality but was pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:15 AM

Not bad ... I hear that the iPod interface is better, but I'd be surprised if it was digital (as HDMI interfaces for DVD/TV devices carry digital information to be decoded by the playback device). Probably just a 2-channel analog pass-through. I find that with my Inno, my phone, my PDA, depending on the device, I have to set the volume up to match that of FM radio and CDs (10 is comfy, 15 is comfortably loud, 20 is filling the car with sound).

BTW, Monster makes good cables, but at retail outlets they run $20 or more; some packaged and priced to attract the squandering iPod shopper. More reasonbly priced on Amazon. I find that their "THX" line of cables, which run kinda cheap despite what they're touted to be, are very sturdy and resilient. Cheaper cables without gold-plated contacts tend to get grungy and perhaps not conduct the audio quite as well. But I think you'd have to have an audiophile's ears or collection of toys to tell the difference. I use cords with gold contacts to just avoid the noise that cruft and corrosion can impart.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Advanced

Well what's great about it is you can take your S50 or Stiletto and listen to Stern on the way in to work if you record it. You obviuosly could listen live but I'm not putting that antenna anywhere near my paint.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by miner
In my '04 (precusor to my '06 RL) I had the DICE unit - it worked well. In the '08 TSX I use the Belkin car charger with the aux jack and the sound is just as good as my DICE unit. I was expecting a dimenished quality but was pleasantly surprised.

which belkin charger? can you gimme a link? so you prefer this alternative vs. the cables?

thanks,
Vic
Old 10-29-2007, 01:13 PM

Just a guess, but he might mean this (click for a link) ...

Or maybe this ...

But's overkill and a waste of money when there's an AUX jack right above the power jack.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:50 PM
Advanced

so ur saying i dont need the belkin kit when I could just plug a cable in? or do i need both? im confused? what do u guys suggest? I dont want it sounding like crap either. thanks every1.

-Vic
Old 10-29-2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Car Nut

All you need is the 3.5mm cable, and potentially a charger for the iPod, depending how often you take it out of the car to charge... mine practically lives in the centre console, except when i want to change music on it. So I got a $20 charger and I'm good to go!

Sound quality is as good as can be!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:56 AM
Advanced

I was thinking of sticking a cradle in the console so my ipod doesnt shift around. does anyone else have a custom setup of a cradle insidet the console?

Thanks,
Vic
Old 10-30-2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by davidspalding
Just a guess, but he might mean this (click for a link) ...

It looks like there's an audio out adapter on this cord, but the description indicates it's "a DC input jack, which [is] used with the Belkin F8V3080-APL TuneCast II Mobile FM Transmitter that includes a DC power cable." So even this might be overkill. You don't need any FM doohickey, you've got an AUX cable right there.

I'd shop at Target and Radio Shack and elsewhere and see if someone makes a combo charger and analog stereo out.