AUX cable - ipod

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:21 PM
-Nick-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got this for my car: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...RHAM40ZPBGDQ1K
I just make sure I pick a good playlist when I first start out, and if I have to change it I just do it at a red light. Or I can do it when I am cruising on the freeway because the cable is retractable so I can easily bring my iPod up to where I can see it then just put it back in the center console when I am done. It doesn't charge it, but my iPod doesn't really use much battery to just play music. It was cheap and it works perfectly for me
Old 05-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
It auto-retracts? Nice.... I'm finally giving in and getting an iPod, but not for my car. For my home hifi ... ripping all music to digital, and docking the 'pod in a Yamaha where I can control it with the tv and the main remote.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:59 PM
06 CGP 5AT Non-Navi

Update

Well, I said before that I was diggin' the Griffin TuneFlex, but turns out I'm not. It just wasn't stable enough, and it was kinda in the way. So I'm going back to the simple Belkin cable and just keeping the iPod hidden away in the console lid. I just put it on shuffle and seldom have to look at it anyway.

I hope nobody bought the TuneFlex on my recommendation and hates it. :-/
Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by davidspalding
It auto-retracts? Nice.... I'm finally giving in and getting an iPod, but not for my car. For my home hifi ... ripping all music to digital, and docking the 'pod in a Yamaha where I can control it with the tv and the main remote.
lol i hear u man. welcome to the digital world.

pretty sad, i have ALL my CDs and DVDs in large plastic storage bins under my bed. 5 of them. i may spin the odd DVD but the CDs will most definitely never see the light of day again.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:24 AM

I'm only a little more organized. I have a huge black tower that holds roughly 1000 cds, and it's not big enough. I have excess jazz and others which didn't fit. AND I just got rid of my cheap Lowes (like Home Depot) DVD media cabinet, so I need more storage for my 250 precious DVDs or so.

Moving again, the combined CD + DVD box count is over 8. Enough is enough. The 160GB storage of an iPod (or a Linux based media center, if you're so inclined; I work with a lot of geeks who are), and an amp which lets me browse it with the HDTV, and also being able to listen to ANYTHING from my collection in the car ... too tempting. The '09 TSX with it's integrated iPod control (which I knew Honda/Acura was already experimenting with in the Civic Hybric when I was shopping) makes sense, as it charges and controls with one connector. Making more sense would be a more semi-permanent storage mechanism, such as a sleeve in the console that holds the iPod out of the way of tire gauges, pens, spare underwear, Tootsie roll pops, whatever you like to store in there. Not hard to fabricate with a little modeler's polystyrene sheets and some glue.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up UPDATE/REVIEW of the Belkin Auto Kit *****

i finally got my belkin auto kit from amazon.com, thru a seller by the name of j&r music & computer world (something like that). anyhow, $30 USD, shipped.

this auto kit was MADE FOR THE TSX. volume level, once set, and sound quality are PERFECT with the TSX, and with all the ports in the armrest (aux port + 12v adapter), it's a CLEAN installation.

i've found that the best way to get the volume level set right is to play the same music on a cd and the ipod, and for each, set the volume knob on the car to the same level (20, for example), then as you switch between cd and aux, match the level on the belkin auto kit amp to the playing cd. AND THAT'S IT!

just plug it in, choose your music, and either keep the iPod in your cupholder for access, or tuck the iPod away in the upper level of the armrest.

anyone futzing with those FM thingies is simply WASTING THEIR TIME. the belkin auto kit is the way to go!

the only other option that would sound as good as this one is using a more expensive kit that connects to the head unit. but for me, this solution fits the bill perfectly.

my
Old 07-10-2008, 10:21 AM
for EVER more!

the kensington thing is better. I've used the belkin kit and the monster kit too. I got itfor $40 shipped gold box deal. it has wireless remote and one cord that connects to the aux input/cigarette lighter. cleanest ever install cause you can hide the ipod too if you want. And no buzzing from iphone interference either.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:10 PM

Note the difference in price between them. The "best" is the one that you get for a good price that you're happy with. Declaring a "winner" in this is silly.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PittIsIt
the kensington thing is better. I've used the belkin kit and the monster kit too. I got itfor $40 shipped gold box deal. it has wireless remote and one cord that connects to the aux input/cigarette lighter. cleanest ever install cause you can hide the ipod too if you want. And no buzzing from iphone interference either.
DUDE, where were u months ago when all this research was being done? :P

ok so for $10 more i'd get a remote. but amazon isn't running this deal anymore.
so it's either regular price ($80 for non-deluxe), or try and win an ebay auction.

odds are the control wouldn't do enough for me anyway, as i frequently change albums, genres, etc. in-car.

did you find interference with the belkin kit? i've had absolutely no problems with it thus far.

lastly, is there also a volume knob/amp on the kensington device, like the belkin auto kit? this is essential for proper volume levels, IMHO.