Automatically Lock Doors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 08:24 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatically Lock Doors?

I just got my new TSX, Black / Black, AT, Navi. Ssswwweeeeet. Is ther a way to set the doors to lock automatically when I put it in drive or start driving?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:44 PM
Instructor

The best way is to just get an alarm system from Clifford. You'll get your autolocking doors, remote starter, and other bells and whistles.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:10 PM
ABP TSX

Originally Posted by tsxflexer
The best way is to just get an alarm system
^^
Yeah that.

Of all of the 7 Honda/Acura models I have dealt with, none of them had the auto lock feature. The Chevy Cobalt and Ford Focus I rented last week did. I honestly do not see the need for it myself.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:17 PM
But of Kourse!

Originally Posted by gsclifton
^^
Yeah that.

Of all of the 7 Honda/Acura models I have dealt with, none of them had the auto lock feature. The Chevy Cobalt and Ford Focus I rented last week did. I honestly do not see the need for it myself.
The TL has it. You can actually decide it it automatically locks when disengaging from park or after you reach a certain speed, which if I remember correctly is 20mph.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Do you have a 2006 or 2005?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:30 PM
ABP TSX

Originally Posted by SirTodd
The TL has it. You can actually decide it it automatically locks when disengaging from park or after you reach a certain speed, which if I remember correctly is 20mph.
And he has a TSX and would still need an aftermarket feature unless the 06 added this option.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Suzuka Master

That's way I asked the question
Old 12-21-2005, 09:41 PM
Pro

if there's an oem after market option, HOOK IT UP! As far as I know you need an alarm system to do this.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:44 PM
Suzuka Master

What year is the freaking car! If its a 2006 all you need to do is configure this in the MFD.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Colin
What year is the freaking car! If its a 2006 all you need to do is configure this in the MFD.
Wait, seriously? 2006 TSX can be configured to lock automatically?? (I'm crossing my fingers here...)

-rpc, who is on his way home to pick up his new TSX
Old 12-21-2005, 11:09 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpcmx
Wait, seriously? 2006 TSX can be configured to lock automatically?? (I'm crossing my fingers here...)

-rpc, who is on his way home to pick up his new TSX
i also wasnt aware of this feature.... where in MID is it?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
really? I didn't see this in the manual anywhere. Do share!
Old 12-21-2005, 11:53 PM
2*Much .NOT. Enough

I can't say for those who have newer models, but my 2004 has just what you're looking for, and it's totally user-settable.

First, put the key in the ignition (it might work without this, but I haven't tried it yet). Then, locate the small black button on the driver's side armrest, near the power window controls, etc. but positioned more towards the front of the car.
Once you're underway, depress the portion of the black button that is symbolized with what appears to be a lock. If I remember correctly, that would be the forward half of the button.
This will automatically lock all your doors, and can be set or arranged to do so at any speed you wish. Pressing the button towards the back will reverse the process.
What I really like about this rather fancy set-up is that the driver can actually decide when and where the doors lock. Cool huh?

Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:07 AM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Originally Posted by nagidizy
I can't say for those who have newer models, but my 2004 has just what you're looking for, and it's totally user-settable.

First, put the key in the ignition (it might work without this, but I haven't tried it yet). Then, locate the small black button on the driver's side armrest, near the power window controls, etc. but positioned more towards the front of the car.
Once you're underway, depress the portion of the black button that is symbolized with what appears to be a lock. If I remember correctly, that would be the forward half of the button.
This will automatically lock all your doors, and can be set or arranged to do so at any speed you wish. Pressing the button towards the back will reverse the process.
What I really like about this rather fancy set-up is that the driver can actually decide when and where the doors lock. Cool huh?

Hope this helps.
That requires thought. If I'm driving, I want absolutely NO reason to have to engage my brain. What are you thinking?!?

And yeah, I don't recall there being an option to auto-lock while driving in the 06. Auto-relock if you don't open a door, yes; but auto-lock when driving, no.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:10 AM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by nagidizy
Cool huh?
Very cute!
Old 12-22-2005, 01:15 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by swirlie
If I'm driving, I want absolutely NO reason to have to engage my brain. What are you thinking?!?

I've found that most people on the road these days share your feelings about engaging thier brains during driving.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:27 AM
Pro

Are you ferreal? How is it done? What's the procedure?
Old 12-22-2005, 06:16 AM
Still Lovin my 06

i think maybe colin confused the question with the autolock when you're outside of the car????
Old 12-22-2005, 07:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
I dunno why exactly, but I dont like that kind of autolock feature in cars. Something about it annoys me. I am referring to the car locking when you put it in drive or get to a certain speed. If I want my doors locked I can do that myself. I dont really see the need for it either. Maybe if you have kids, but if you are worried about them you would (I hope) think about making sure their door is locked anyway if you had a concern they might open the door while driving or something. Plus there are the child proof doors as well these days anyway.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:58 AM
Pro

i remember on my last jetta, the auto lock thing would go on after i exceed a certain speed. sometimes i would have people in the car, and they would lean their arm on the 'arm rest' (where the window rolls up/down on the door) and since the lock was there too, once the auto lock goes on and goes down, it would sometimes grab some of their skin. kinda like a very ugly pinch. It even got me too.

...Long story short, that thing is annoying!
Old 12-22-2005, 09:15 AM
Booya

Originally Posted by Tintin
i remember on my last jetta, the auto lock thing would go on after i exceed a certain speed. sometimes i would have people in the car, and they would lean their arm on the 'arm rest' (where the window rolls up/down on the door) and since the lock was there too, once the auto lock goes on and goes down, it would sometimes grab some of their skin. kinda like a very ugly pinch. It even got me too.

...Long story short, that thing is annoying!
The new Jetta V has better lock design than the previous Jetta IV. The old 'pennis-bobhead' style (thats what I like to call) are gone and the new buttons is a simple 'up-down' electronic switch on the side. Also, the doors automatically lock at 8mph are and are auto-unlocking in the event of a crash or electrical failure (sensor controlled). All 4 windows are one-touch up down with pinch-protection. The way pinch-protection works is that if the window roll-up detects a block, like a finger or head stuck in the window, it automatically rolls-down.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:36 AM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by dipkat
The new Jetta V has better lock design than the previous Jetta IV. The old 'pennis-bobhead' style (thats what I like to call) are gone and the new buttons is a simple 'up-down' electronic switch on the side. Also, the doors automatically lock at 8mph are and are auto-unlocking in the event of a crash or electrical failure (sensor controlled). All 4 windows are one-touch up down with pinch-protection. The way pinch-protection works is that if the window roll-up detects a block, like a finger or head stuck in the window, it automatically rolls-down.
It was nice to read the owner's manual last night and see the 06 also has pinch protection. I'm in need of this in case any of my stoner friends are leaninging out the window as I roll up all the windows at once just using the key. (two counterclockwise turns in drivers door)
Old 12-22-2005, 09:55 AM
6MT or Death

to make sure I'm clear on that, I mean the 06 TSX.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
It was nice to read the owner's manual last night and see the 06 also has pinch protection. I'm in need of this in case any of my stoner friends are leaninging out the window as I roll up all the windows at once just using the key. (two counterclockwise turns in drivers door)
You know, I can't remember the last time I actually used the key in the door. The FOB has taken over all lock/unlock operations.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bradykp
i think maybe colin confused the question with the autolock when you're outside of the car????
doh, Actually there is another thread on this topic. Sorry, but there is not autolock (after you start drivng) for the TSX. It's a TL and RL feature.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:48 PM
TSX Addict

Hmmm, I wonder why TSX doesn't have it. Since even the 2005 ODYSSEY has the auto lock feature...

Pete
Old 12-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Power1Pete
Hmmm, I wonder why TSX doesn't have it. Since even the 2005 ODYSSEY has the auto lock feature...

Pete
I'm sure its for the same reason that the mirrors don't tilt down... to keep some separation to the TL
Old 12-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Still Lovin my 06

I'm sure its for the same reason that the mirrors don't tilt down... to keep some separation to the TL

whatcha mean "mirrors tilt down"???

i'm disappointed you cant link memory seats and memory mirrors together. wouldnt that be logical?
Old 12-22-2005, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Colin is right, its called "filling in the gap." Thats a problem with marketing these days, well not really a problem but thats how it works. You can't make the TSX any more better w/o making the TL better, then the RL better because then there wouldn't be an incentive to buy the 35000 car over the 28000 if it has the same features dis regarding the engine terrain of course.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bradykp
whatcha mean "mirrors tilt down"???

i'm disappointed you cant link memory seats and memory mirrors together. wouldnt that be logical?
On TL and RL, the side view mirrors tilt down when you engage reverse. Which mirror tilts depends on where you leave the mirror selector (L or R).
Old 12-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by acn684
Colin is right, its called "filling in the gap." Thats a problem with marketing these days, well not really a problem but thats how it works. You can't make the TSX any more better w/o making the TL better, then the RL better because then there wouldn't be an incentive to buy the 35000 car over the 28000 if it has the same features dis regarding the engine terrain of course.

i think that's a garbage philosophy when you talk about these 3 cars. obviously the TL is more of a sedan, and the RL is even more luxurious and spacious. they can all have many of these features. i believe caddy's have all the features. granted, i know acura is better than a caddy, but just saying.

that mirror feature would be great, i have seen that on cars before, cant remember what it was though.

as we keep progressing, more and more will become standard, which is nice. for this being my first new car, i think i'm doing pretty good with power everything (Except the lumbar ), navigation system, heated seats, bluetooth, just goes on and on. imagine this being a hand me down to a kid. not a bad gig when you consider i got an 89 cherokee laredo as my first vehicle.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:13 PM
2*Much .NOT. Enough

Originally Posted by Power1Pete
Hmmm, I wonder why TSX doesn't have it. Since even the 2005 ODYSSEY has the auto lock feature... Pete
My nasty vile neighbor would say that perhaps it's because Acura expects people who actually like driving a car, rather than "using an appliance", to buy the TSX.
He, being a typical arrogant male, overly macho, opinionated, would say that he expects his microwave or washer to have these sorts of nice, "do-the-thinking-for-you" features, but not his car. A Honda van, well, maybe that's a bit closer to an appliance, and an appliance that sells faster with more "family oriented" widgets (that's him speaking, of course).

I would tell him that comments like these are *way* too generalized of course ...
We all, as staid, mature adults, want cars that remove any possiblity of us "hurting ourselves" from the passenger ... oops, I mean "driving" experience. Because, obviously, we can't really be trusted to make driving decisions like these ourselves.
I for one, look forward to the day that all automobile traffic is monitored remotely, guided by electronic chips and circuits, keeping us at safe and reasonable speeds, while our position at all times is logged real-time, just to keep us safe, you know ...

Safe, safe, safe.

[CAUTION: for the uninitiated, the above missive contained vast amounts of the unstable isotope Sarcasmium 2005, which has an extremely short half life - approximately twice the duration of a VW product that is beyond warranty - or five days, whichever comes first ...]

[CAUTION: for the uninitiated, the above CAUTION contained still deadly amounts of the unstable isotope Sarcasmium 2005, which has been known to cause Lackahumornomas in test subjects ... I owned a Jetta once and thoroughly enjoyed it, when it worked and didn't strand me.]
Old 12-27-2005, 11:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This reminds me. Someone a few months ago asked why there was not "mute" button on the steering wheel controls.

jlukja, who thinks the on/off button on the radio is probably close enough.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dipkat
Also, the doors automatically lock at 8mph are and are auto-unlocking in the event of a crash or electrical failure (sensor controlled). All 4 windows are one-touch up down with pinch-protection. The way pinch-protection works is that if the window roll-up detects a block, like a finger or head stuck in the window, it automatically rolls-down.

Why would you want the doors unlocked in a crash? I've seen people thrown from cars because they don't have their doors locked. You always want to drive with your doors locked, it prevents them from popping open when you get hit.