Automatic TSX 0-60 vs. Accord 4 cylinder Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 11:49 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic TSX 0-60 vs. Accord 4 cylinder Automatic?

I currently have a 1999 Honda Accord Coupe w/Leather and an auto tranny. Can someone provide me with some information regarding the difference between the two vehicles from 0-60? I'm looking to purchase a TSX (automatic), but I might have to reconsider if the 0-60 isn't much greater than the my current Accord. Also, what is the time for the 4 cylinder automatic 2004 Accord?

Thanks in advance...you guys are the best!
Old 09-03-2003, 11:54 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Is your 99 a V6 or 4 cylinder? If its a 6 the Accord will be quicker to 60 than an auto TSX. If its a 4 then the TSX should be quicker but by only a few tenths I'm sure.

An 03 Accord 4 cylinder with a 5 Speed has been tested as fast as 7.5 sec to 60. Add about a second for the auto.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:54 AM
Advanced

4 banger high reving engine plus automatic = pretty darn slow
Seriously, I think the TSX 4 banger cannot be enjoyed with the auto.--regardless of the sportshift gimmick
Old 09-03-2003, 12:01 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by inkytawney
4 banger high reving engine plus automatic = pretty darn slow
Seriously, I think the TSX 4 banger cannot be enjoyed with the auto.--regardless of the sportshift gimmick
No, your quite wrong actually but quite right at the same time.
The TSX can be enjoyed with the Auto, I enjoy the car everyday. But the car and engine were definenly made to be mated to a 6 speed.

The only thing you'll lose with the auto is off the line acceleration.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:19 PM

I do not race so the Auto is fine for me. The car handles great regardless of transmission preference. It sure is fun for those river roads...

I you are looking for a drag racer this is not the car you want.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Thanks guys!

My current Accord is a 4 banger . It feels like it does 0-60 in the 9's range. Does that sound right for a 1999? The 04' is quicker, but comparably to the TSX there's not much difference in acceleration for the auto trannys. Unfortunately, I never learned how to drive a MT...and if I did it would be a very expensive habit considering how fast I drive with an auto.

So, if I understand this correctly...the TSX auto should do 0-60 in about 8.5 like the Accord 4 cylinder auto? Then I'm confused . The 04' Accord EX w/leather 4 cylinder is only about 100lbs. lighter, however the TSX is that 100lbs. heavier, but it also has about 40 extra ponies to help compensate for that weight. A 100lbs. doesn't seem that heavy for an additional 40 ponies. I understand that HP allows you hold your acceleration at higher speeds, and Torque is the driving force that pushes the car...but even then the TSX is slightly a little higher in that category. The TSX also has a better compression ratio than the Accord as well. Now I'm really confused !

I guess I'll never understand the concept. Anyway, I would probably consider the TSX for its bountiful amenities that the Accord lacks e.g. HIDS, classy mirror blinkers, but it lacks the integrated key .

-Spencer
Old 09-03-2003, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Hi wolfeacura,

I'm not really a racer either, but I do like to have the passing power when needed or climbing up hills. In the Accord that I have now, the power is sufficient but can be much improved. Climbing up hills is forever and a day, and that 4 cylinder gets loud when revving that high. Is the TSX quieter in the engine cabin than the 4 cylinder Accord?

I might wait for the 05' model to come out, and perhaps it will have the extra amenties like memory seats, power passenger seat and maybe a few extra ponies and more torque ...wishful thinking .

-Spencer
Old 09-03-2003, 12:38 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just switched from an Accord EX '96 4-Cyl Auto to a TSX 4-cyl auto. My Accord actually had decent acceleration around town, but it struggled up long upgrades, and had problems passing in the 60 - 80 MPH range. I sometimes stuggled to get on highways with the A/C on.

I would not say the TSX is lighyears different, under most circumstances but it is a significant improvement. I'm guessing it is about 1 to 1.5 seconds quicker, 0 - 60, probably about 8.5 seconds. The TSX generally feels pretty lively around town, it never stuggles to get on the highway or climb hills (even with the A/C blasting). I really notice the difference on long upgrades, where the TSX has no trouble staying in gear, and the Accord used to hunt (because there wasn't enough HP at the low revs to make the climb). I drive in an out of the Los Angeles basin over the San Fernando mountains, and the TSX does not stuggle even over 2,000 ft gains.

I very rarely want more power, and I often wanted more power in the Accord. In the sweet spot of the rev range (3,500 to 5,500) the TSX feels very fast, and the Accord never felt fast (just adequate).

So, yeah, it is an upgrade. but, not the sort of huge upgrade you'd get with the V6 engine. Also, when the power comes on in the TSX, it is because the engine is reving. So, if you accelerate hard, you will definitely hear lots of engine noise.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Audi Driving Snob

a tsx auto is going to be only a teeny bit slower than a previous gen accord v6. I can go into the details if need be about torque curves and gearin. One thing the tsx does better is around town drivability. It's got all it's torque availalbe at 2500 rpms where in the previous av6 you had to wait to 4grand for it to comeon.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:06 PM
Advanced

Thank you Darth62!

That was exactly what I wanted to hear about the two vehicles. Great comparison! By the way, how much horse power was on your 96' Accord? Mine is 150 HP / 155 Torque... I believe.

See, I live in northern Nevada near Lake Tahoe, so I deal a lot with long upgrades...and that's why I was concern with the 4 cylinder auto vs. manual. I'm sure the TSX will accomodate my needs much more than my current Accord...especially in the snow.

Thanks for the information!

-Spencer
Old 09-03-2003, 01:10 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by overkast
Thanks guys!
A 100lbs. doesn't seem that heavy for an additional 40 ponies.

Actually the TSX is heavier by about 150 lbs... which can definately make a difference. But the TSX should still be faster.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:12 PM
10th Gear

It seems that you are in two different categories. If you want the TSX then you should not compare it to the 04' 4cyl Accord because it comes with alot less amenities than the TSX. You should compare it to the 04 Accord EX V6. Both the TSX and the Accord V6 cost close to the same(my coupe EX V6 was 23,600). But the 0-60 time for the V6 will be in the high 6's instead of the mid 8's. You also get every feature in the Accord Except HID's and it will not handle as well as the TSX. Both are great cars. Just stick with a Honda or Acura don't go elsewhere.

Speed? Handling? Luxury? What do you want?
Old 09-03-2003, 01:13 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally posted by overkast
Thank you Darth62!

That was exactly what I wanted to hear about the two vehicles. Great comparison! By the way, how much horse power was on your 96' Accord? Mine is 150 HP / 155 Torque... I believe.

See, I live in northern Nevada near Lake Tahoe, so I deal a lot with long upgrades...and that's why I was concern with the 4 cylinder auto vs. manual. I'm sure the TSX will accomodate my needs much more than my current Accord...especially in the snow.

Thanks for the information!

-Spencer
The '96 had a SOHC VTEC 2.2 engine. It was about 140 HP/140 torque (those may not be exact numbers but they are not far off). I suspect the 0-60 was not all that different from your car, because it weighed about 200 pounds less than the next generation of Accords.

The main difference with the TSX is the flat torque curve. The is just a lot more power at low RPM.

But, again, keep in mind that the engine loves to rev. It is just as noisy as my old Accord was. To be honest, though, this has never been an issue for me.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:26 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally posted by Accord V6
It seems that you are in two different categories. If you want the TSX then you should not compare it to the 04' 4cyl Accord because it comes with alot less amenities than the TSX. You should compare it to the 04 Accord EX V6. Both the TSX and the Accord V6 cost close to the same(my coupe EX V6 was 23,600). But the 0-60 time for the V6 will be in the high 6's instead of the mid 8's. You also get every feature in the Accord Except HID's and it will not handle as well as the TSX. Both are great cars. Just stick with a Honda or Acura don't go elsewhere.

Speed? Handling? Luxury? What do you want?
The TSX has other features that the Accord V6 does not. Some examples include The VSA, slightly nicer stereo, automatic rearview mirror (a dealer add-on for the accord), peforated leather, split fold-down rear seats (instead of a one piece), auto off headlights, extra year of warranty and acura care program.

That said, the Accord V6 is a smoking deal. I think is the best bang-for-buck EVER in an automobile (yes, I know that is a lofty statement, but I believe it).
Old 09-03-2003, 01:34 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

But the 0-60 time for the V6 will be in the high 6's instead of the mid 8's.
TSX does 0-60 in mid to low 7's (C&D got a 7.2) .. unless you are talking about autos..in which case I dont think the accord pulls 6's.

You also get every feature in the Accord Except HID's

Thats not true, there are other things (See darths post) , not to mention being built in Japan.

But I agree both are great cars and you cant go wrong either way.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:37 PM
Pro

my friend has a 94 vtec prelude(exhaust, instake, headers) and he test drove my car this weekend and said that the TSX actually pulls a little better than his prelude. The 6 spd is definitely more fun to drive but the AT from what I hear is just as fun if you don't like to drive MT. I'm sure the TSX has a better ride quality than a accord, with it's suspension and aerodynamic body.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Not an Ashtray

Can't agree with you there. The Accord has a much nicer ride. It is well controlled, but soaks up bumps nicely. The TSX can be kind of stiff and busy - although not unpleasent on most roads.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:29 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally posted by darth62
Can't agree with you there. The Accord has a much nicer ride. It is well controlled, but soaks up bumps nicely. The TSX can be kind of stiff and busy - although not unpleasent on most roads.
we should get you and the floppy shocks guy together to find a happy medium
Old 09-03-2003, 04:35 PM
More On

Funny -- I think Darth's initial claim-to-fame on the old site was that he hated the TSX ride (I'm exaggerating, I know) -- and he still hates it (I'm exaggerating, I know).

I seriously considered the Accord, both the "old" one ('02) and the new one. To me, the TSX ride is clearly, clearly better than the "old" Accord ride -- and maybe, maybe a little less good than the new Accord, but not clearly so. Really it's a DIFFERENT ride, and so it's a matter of preference. I truly like the TSX ride better, but I agree that the Accord soaks up bad bumps better.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Banned

The Accord's ride is better, but the TSX out-handles it without breaking a sweat. 17" wheels, V-rated tires, sports suspension are standard on the TSX. For extra $$$, you can add 17" wheels and better tires to the Accord, but if you want the sports suspension you gotta move up to the TSX.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:12 PM
Not an Ashtray

I agree with you, Iceman. the handling is far superior on the TSX. But, the ride is somewhat stiff and busy. It absorbs bumps OK, but you get shaken around when the road is wavy or rippled.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:09 AM
10th Gear

The TSX has other features that the Accord V6 does not. Some examples include The VSA, slightly nicer stereo, automatic rearview mirror (a dealer add-on for the accord), peforated leather, split fold-down rear seats (instead of a one piece), auto off headlights, extra year of warranty and acura care program.

That said, the Accord V6 is a smoking deal. I think is the best bang-for-buck EVER in an automobile (yes, I know that is a lofty statement, but I believe it).
Auto off headlights come standard on the Accord. As for perforated leather that doesn't mean better but it is more sporty and less comfertable. Split 60/40 seats come in the coupe. But both good cars all around.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:13 AM
10th Gear

Originally posted by fdl
TSX does 0-60 in mid to low 7's (C&D got a 7.2) .. unless you are talking about autos..in which case I dont think the accord pulls 6's.

Thats not true, there are other things (See darths post) , not to mention being built in Japan.

But I agree both are great cars and you cant go wrong either way.
I was talking about the Auto TSX. Yes the Accord V6 Auto does put a 0-60 time of 6.6 seconds. It has been proven by about 4 members at V6peformance.net. Most have hit 1/4 mile times of 14.9-15.1 stock. 14.7 @97mph for 2 guys w/ just intake.

Being built in Japan doesn't mean its better. Most of the Hondas and Acuras have 50% of their parts from japan and the other from USA or Canada even if they are built in different locals.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:17 AM
Not an Ashtray

Auto off headlights come standard on the Accord. As for perforated leather that doesn't mean better but it is more sporty and less comfertable. Split 60/40 seats come in the coupe. But both good cars all around.
I'm not sure how peforated seats are "less comfortable." The whole point is that they breath a little better so that they are ultimately more comfortable. And, IMO, the leather in the TSX is a bit nicer than the leather in the Accord.

And, btw, the Accord CPE 6MT also comes with perforated leather.

But, all that asside, I still think the Accord V6 is an excellent, excellent car and one of the best buys on the market.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:12 AM
Not an Ashtray

I was talking about the Auto TSX. Yes the Accord V6 Auto does put a 0-60 time of 6.6 seconds. It has been proven by about 4 members at V6peformance.net. Most have hit 1/4 mile times of 14.9-15.1 stock. 14.7 @97mph for 2 guys w/ just intake.

Being built in Japan doesn't mean its better. Most of the Hondas and Acuras have 50% of their parts from japan and the other from USA or Canada even if they are built in different locals.
That isn't completely true. The Accord has over 70% of its parts built in America, otherwise it would be designated as a foreign car. The same is true of the Civic, Pilot, and the new TL.

I personally don't believe that cars built in Japan are better than cars built in Ohio, but that doesn't change the reality that the TSX and Accord are built in different countries.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:42 AM
More On

.......I personally don't believe that cars built in Japan are better than cars built in Ohio, but that doesn't change the reality that the TSX and Accord are built in different countries.
Right -- but so what, unless it matters? And you don't think it matters, so it wouldn't matter!

But rightly or wrongly, a lot of us think it DOES matter -- so it matters!
Unless it doesn't.

(I think it does though.)
Old 09-04-2003, 03:00 AM
Racer

Originally posted by larchmont
Right -- but so what, unless it matters? And you don't think it matters, so it wouldn't matter!

Unless it doesn't.

All 4cylinder accords are assymbled in japan. v6 is assembled in north america
Old 09-04-2003, 01:17 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally posted by larchmont

Unless it doesn't.

I don't agree that it matters. The reliability of the American built Accords has been as good as the reliablity of any of the Hondas built abroad.

I must say that I did notice a big difference in fit and finish and freedom from squeaks and rattles when the first American Accords came out. My '89 Accord seemed to be much tighter, and was relatively free from annoying fit and finish problems. In my '96 Accord, there were bigger gaps on the dash, and I had issues like the climate control dial that kept breaking.

tehCOW - I'm not sure where you got the impression that only the V6 is built in the states, but that is incorrect. Here is an article based on an interview with the plant director:

"The Accord has been manufactured for nearly 20 years at the Marysville Auto Plant. In addition to the Accord, the Acura TL sedan and Acura CL coupe are produced at the Marysville Auto Plant. The Marysville plant assembled 456,348 cars last year, more than any other plant in North America.

The V-6 and four-cylinder engines for the Accord are produced at Honda's engine plant in Anna, Ohio. The Anna Engine Plant produces more than one million engines per year for Honda auto plants throughout North America."

The American version of the Accord is produced at two plants, one in Ohio and one in Thailand. I think the new upscale derivative of our Accord to be sold in the JDM will not be produced in Japan. But, all of the Accord in our Honda showrooms are American built.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:53 PM
10th Gear

I'm not sure how peforated seats are "less comfortable." The whole point is that they breath a little better so that they are ultimately more comfortable. And, IMO, the leather in the TSX is a bit nicer than the leather in the Accord.

And, btw, the Accord CPE 6MT also comes with perforated leather.

But, all that asside, I still think the Accord V6 is an excellent, excellent car and one of the best buys on the market.
The seat would breath better but how would that make it more comfertable? Maybe a cooler seat to sit in or one that will hold you in with more grip but the Accord seat is softer feeling and more comfortable for longer rides. Your seat will hold you in like a glove but will be less comfortable on long trips. Thats my point man. It doesn't mean its better just more comfortable.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:55 AM
Not an Ashtray

The seat would breath better but how would that make it more comfertable? Maybe a cooler seat to sit in or one that will hold you in with more grip but the Accord seat is softer feeling and more comfortable for longer rides. Your seat will hold you in like a glove but will be less comfortable on long trips. Thats my point man. It doesn't mean its better just more comfortable.
The comfort of the seats is purely subjective, but I prefer the seats in the TSX. I drove the Accord sedan and coupe, and the TSX. I liked the seats in the Coupe least, and the seats in the TSX best. I don't think, btw, that any of the seats could be called "soft." The seats in all of these vehicles are fairly firm.

But, all this is purely subjective. If you prefered the seats in the Accord, I could understand that.