View Poll Results: Trade in Your 1st Gen for the 2010 v6?
Yes
4.90%
No
76.47%
Maybe
18.63%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Anyone Gonna Make the Switch to the 2010 v6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:17 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by deepen03
alright the price of the 2010 tsx v6 fully loaded is $37,000.

why not just go and buy the TL? thats ridiculous. the TL is around the same price and you would get a much better car.
Because the TL is big and ugly.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Because the TL is big and ugly.
And the TSX is not?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i posted maybe. maybe really should be no, because I simply will not be looking for a new car in the 2010 model year. My 2006 only has 56,000 miles on it, and I plan on driving it for quite some time and letting it eventually become my second car when I do buy a new one....

that being said, I'd like to take a look at the new TSX just to see the real differences. that's a huge jump in horsepower though, and I find it funny that so many people have a problem paying $6,000 more for that much more horsepower and a V6 (among other improvements).

couple questions -

people compared it to buying a TL since the price is higher - do we know what a 2010 TL similarly equipped will cost? or are we assuming it's staying the same price?

as for comparing it to Infinity or Lexus or BMW - do we know that their 2010 models will not be going up in price for a similarly equipped model?

it might be true that acura is becoming less "value for money". if this is true, i'd hope they would improve some of the details that really make up the difference - like better soundproofing, better leather, real wood grain instead of the plastic...

this is all stuff i don't care that much about to pay more for a car, which is why i'm currently in an acura. but we'll see.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Still Lovin my 06

as for the g37 - i just did a 2009 build on the site, and i'm at $39,215 for the model with navi. yeah, you get more horsepower. so the TSX to me is not similarly priced to the G37 (assuming the G37 isn't going up in price in 2010).
Old 06-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Race Director

how much does a fully loaded Lexus ES350 go for?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Still Lovin my 06

i just did a build on the es350 and only adding the navi brings the price to $41,375...
Old 06-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I might, but my 04 is running fine for now and it's nice not having a car payment. If not the V6, then quite possibly the 4, as I do like the car.

Honestly, the price isn't that much of a surprise to me. The V6 TSX is basically a 3G TL, and the 3G TL-S was $38k. Sure, I wish it was cheaper, but it really isn't a shock to me.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Pro

ridiculously expensive for the v6. and w/o the tech package why not get just an accord?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
If I still had my TSX, I wouldn't trade it in for the V6.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I might, but my 04 is running fine for now and it's nice not having a car payment. If not the V6, then quite possibly the 4, as I do like the car.

Honestly, the price isn't that much of a surprise to me. The V6 TSX is basically a 3G TL, and the 3G TL-S was $38k. Sure, I wish it was cheaper, but it really isn't a shock to me.
exactly. i don't get why people are so shocked/upset with the price. the car is bigger than the 04-07, has way more horsepower, better braking system, 18 inch wheels/tires....and more....
Old 06-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Race Director

people want to pay at most $35,000 for the TSX V6 with tech. it's easier to swallow than $38,000. when you're getting to $38,000, there are better options out there already.

again it's a no brainer to just get a Maxima, G37x sedan, or a CTS. you get more options like push button start, awd in the G37x and CTS and more hp for the same price as the V6 TSX.

as for the made in japan arguement which is why the TSX V6 is expensive cause the engine is made in Ohio and shipped to Japan and whatever. well, the G37 is entirely made in japan too and it's about the same price.

Last edited by Mokos23; 06-15-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:18 AM
Senior Moderator

It's a good thing there are choices out there....something for everyone.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:32 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
It's a good thing there are choices out there....something for everyone.
That is if you want automatic-manual transmission choices are limited.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:47 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura used to have common sense when pricing their cars now they are slowly turning into the germans with these Technology and SHAWD packages that are pushing their prices into the stratosphere. $39,000 for a TSX is absolutely ridiculous. As hideous as the new Accord is I would rather spend my money there. Put some nice rims on it and max out the limited option list and you'll still come up saving money.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
A strong, flat, final, emphatic NO. I sat in a 2GEN TSX at the dealership a coupla months ago, and didn't like what I found at all. Interior was like the high-waterline tank feeling of the 06 Accord coupes I test drove. And the shifter was in the wrong place for me; I like sitting up in my car, not leaning back like one o' the lowridin' homies. (Sorry if that offends someone, I gotta be me.)

I also hate the styling on the outside. I wouldn't have to look at it much, but when I see one, I choke back a guffaw. I just don't want to be behind that buck-tooth grill. I know, etc, it's all been said. I was interested in the ZDX on Acura.com's "future vehicles" ... until I got a look at the front end. They keep going with the potato peeler, and when my 2006 TSX finally goes toes up, I'll be going, "Hello, Lexus."
Old 06-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pointless to get a TSX with V-6. There are so many other better cars at the price range, class and performance. Most people like TSX because it's the best bang for the buck. In the V-6, people won't see that. But this might actually help the sales of the I-4 because in contrast, they look a nice car with a good deal.

Last edited by malnik; 06-16-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Mokos23
people want to pay at most $35,000 for the TSX V6 with tech. it's easier to swallow than $38,000. when you're getting to $38,000, there are better options out there already.

again it's a no brainer to just get a Maxima, G37x sedan, or a CTS. you get more options like push button start, awd in the G37x and CTS and more hp for the same price as the V6 TSX.

as for the made in japan arguement which is why the TSX V6 is expensive cause the engine is made in Ohio and shipped to Japan and whatever. well, the G37 is entirely made in japan too and it's about the same price.
the g37 with navi is more than 38k when i did a build on the website. it's close, but it's still more. so it's not really as close as people make it out to be...
Old 06-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Still Lovin my 06

i think people are also forgetting the bang for the buck that comes from resale value. my 2006 tsx with 56,000 miles is listed on edmunds as being able to fetch $18,000, and on Kbb as being able to fetch around $17,000. that's insane if it's true.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bradykp
exactly. i don't get why people are so shocked/upset with the price. the car is bigger than the 04-07, has way more horsepower, better braking system, 18 inch wheels/tires....and more....
Most of the people that would upgrade to a TSX V6 do it for the performance, correct? Well, in terms of performance, this car is not worth it. It's FWD, has a lack of power, etc. There are many other much more capable sedans out there within this price range, give or take a few thousand dollars(it's not like $2-3k is that much when you're considering a ~$40k car). I think that is why so many people are upset.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:46 AM

"Aggressive stance" styling seems to be bleeding over to "aggressive stance" pricing models. Yeah, right, Acura. Let's see how it sells.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by zot09
Most of the people that would upgrade to a TSX V6 do it for the performance, correct? Well, in terms of performance, this car is not worth it. It's FWD, has a lack of power, etc. There are many other much more capable sedans out there within this price range, give or take a few thousand dollars(it's not like $2-3k is that much when you're considering a ~$40k car). I think that is why so many people are upset.
i understand your point, but there are plenty of people out there that want a sedan that is not huge like a TL, but what more power, and do not want RWD. I personally have no use for a RWD vehicle as a daily driver. I'd like to have more power in my 2006 TSX. I'd like to have better OEM braking system. I'd like to have some nicer interior features over my 2006's options. I don't really need AWD either. What benefit does it give me? I don't drive in the snow that often, and when I do, I'm experienced enough to not really need anything beyond the traction control (though admittedly, AWD would have been nice to have on a few occasions). So I really don't need to sacrifice the MPG for the few times I would need AWD.

so what cars are out there for people like me? I think the people on this board are more "enthusiasts", which is why they are upset that it went up to that price but still doesn't have RWD or AWD. Lots of people also want a Manual, which, sadly, is a dying option in vehicles.

The car is still a good value to me, just not as good of a value as it was before. But you're getting a lot for the extra money. It's not like they took the same car and raised the price, they made it better and raised the price.

I just don't know what people expect it to cost when they bump it by 80 horsepower and change from an I4 to a V6.

What price were people expecting? honestly...
Old 06-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
I'd love to, but lack of $$$ prevents it, lol.

I'm content with my '04 anyway.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Racer

i understand your point, but there are plenty of people out there that want a sedan that is not huge like a TL, but what more power, and do not want RWD. I personally have no use for a RWD vehicle as a daily driver. I'd like to have more power in my 2006 TSX. I'd like to have better OEM braking system. I'd like to have some nicer interior features over my 2006's options. I don't really need AWD either. What benefit does it give me? I don't drive in the snow that often, and when I do, I'm experienced enough to not really need anything beyond the traction control (though admittedly, AWD would have been nice to have on a few occasions). So I really don't need to sacrifice the MPG for the few times I would need AWD.

so what cars are out there for people like me? I think the people on this board are more "enthusiasts", which is why they are upset that it went up to that price but still doesn't have RWD or AWD. Lots of people also want a Manual, which, sadly, is a dying option in vehicles.

The car is still a good value to me, just not as good of a value as it was before. But you're getting a lot for the extra money. It's not like they took the same car and raised the price, they made it better and raised the price.

I just don't know what people expect it to cost when they bump it by 80 horsepower and change from an I4 to a V6.

Fair points

Price wise, the only thing I find really quirky is that the TL w/ Tech(non SH-AWD) and the TSX V6 w/ Tech are similarly priced. Shouldn't the "lower" model be cheaper, at least by a grand or two?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Fair points

Price wise, the only thing I find really quirky is that the TL w/ Tech(non SH-AWD) and the TSX V6 w/ Tech are similarly priced. Shouldn't the "lower" model be cheaper, at least by a grand or two?
are you talking about the 2010 TL w/Tech or the 2009? I don't know the pricings, so i don't even know....but my assumption is if you're talking about the 2009, the 2010 TL will go up a bit in price.

but the 2010 TSX V6 is essentially the base TL now right, except slightly smaller? very slightly?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Exactly. I'm not really a hard core enthusiast, so RWD does not do anything for me. I wouldn't get it in NJ anyway considering we do get snow here (and I'm moving to NY soon). AWD would be nice, but there is a definite mileage penalty.

Reliability and low maint. costs are also must-haves (for me), so BMW, MB, and Audi are out the window for me, leaving Lexus IS and Infiniti G, neither of which have a folding rear seat that comes in handy from time to time. Plus the Lexus IS is too small. In addition both are a couple thousand more than the TSX when similarly equipped. So the TSX fits perfect for me.

And for those who say get an Accord for cheaper, they don't come with HIDs, which I don't think I can live without after having them for so long now.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:49 PM

Fair points

You're applying an artificial ceiling on the TSX price ... even if saying the base model should be $2000 cheaper so that the V6 + Tech model would be $2000 cheaper than the TL. I'm not stunned or amazed that putting the extra tech package and a bigger-badder-bosser engine in it vaults its price up to "on par" with another model. I was comparing (used) Accord LX V6 coupes in 2007, and frankly, the difference in price to an I4 TSX w/o Navi system was kind of trivial. I chose what I did for reasons other than simple power, HP, amenities ... the two cars were very different in "character."
Old 06-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Exactly. I'm not really a hard core enthusiast, so RWD does not do anything for me. I wouldn't get it in NJ anyway considering we do get snow here (and I'm moving to NY soon). AWD would be nice, but there is a definite mileage penalty.

Reliability and low maint. costs are also must-haves (for me), so BMW, MB, and Audi are out the window for me, leaving Lexus IS and Infiniti G, neither of which have a folding rear seat that comes in handy from time to time. Plus the Lexus IS is too small. In addition both are a couple thousand more than the TSX when similarly equipped. So the TSX fits perfect for me.

And for those who say get an Accord for cheaper, they don't come with HIDs, which I don't think I can live without after having them for so long now.
and i am a bit of a car enthusiast, but the TSX is not targeted at car enthusiasts at all in my opinion. it's an entry level luxury vehicle that's fun to drive at a value compared to other luxury vehicles. i think it's less of a value in the new V6, but it's still a value.

i think there are plenty of people like you and me that this car is targeted to.

the IS is clearly too small. i was actually shocked when i finally sat in one because i thought people just exaggerated how small it was.

and the infinity g is nice, but it's more money.

as for the accord - there a lot of little things about the interior that just aren't as nice as the TSX. granted, they are minor, but even the leather is slightly different and a bit nicer in the TSX.

i just don't understand, what do people want Honda to charge for 80+ more horsepower, a V6 vs an I4, better brakes, bigger vehicle, 18 inch wheels, better tires, and more little interior improvements? how much should the engine + brakes alone cost over a 2006/07?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by davidspalding
You're applying an artificial ceiling on the TSX price ... even if saying the base model should be $2000 cheaper so that the V6 + Tech model would be $2000 cheaper than the TL. I'm not stunned or amazed that putting the extra tech package and a bigger-badder-bosser engine in it vaults its price up to "on par" with another model. I was comparing (used) Accord LX V6 coupes in 2007, and frankly, the difference in price to an I4 TSX w/o Navi system was kind of trivial. I chose what I did for reasons other than simple power, HP, amenities ... the two cars were very different in "character."
i did the accord vs tsx comparison when i bought, and i thought the price difference was surprisingly trivial for the couple nice "upgrades" i got with the TSX....
Old 06-18-2009, 04:58 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
i did the accord vs tsx comparison when i bought, and i thought the price difference was surprisingly trivial for the couple nice "upgrades" i got with the TSX....
My mom owns a 08 Accord V-6. Let's just say I rather have my 06 tsx.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
My mom owns a 08 Accord V-6. Let's just say I rather have my 06 tsx.
exactly. lol
Old 06-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Race Director

and i am a bit of a car enthusiast, but the TSX is not targeted at car enthusiasts at all in my opinion. it's an entry level luxury vehicle that's fun to drive at a value compared to other luxury vehicles. i think it's less of a value in the new V6, but it's still a value.

i think there are plenty of people like you and me that this car is targeted to.

the IS is clearly too small. i was actually shocked when i finally sat in one because i thought people just exaggerated how small it was.

and the infinity g is nice, but it's more money.

as for the accord - there a lot of little things about the interior that just aren't as nice as the TSX. granted, they are minor, but even the leather is slightly different and a bit nicer in the TSX.

i just don't understand, what do people want Honda to charge for 80+ more horsepower, a V6 vs an I4, better brakes, bigger vehicle, 18 inch wheels, better tires, and more little interior improvements? how much should the engine + brakes alone cost over a 2006/07?
how about Maxima? it's cheaper than the V6 TSX and has more hp too. plus, it's probably bigger than the TSX too.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator

how about Maxima? it's cheaper than the V6 TSX and has more hp too. plus, it's probably bigger than the TSX too.
I think the new Max is bulbous and ugly. It's all subjective, though.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Still Lovin my 06

the maxima is not as luxurious in my opinion. you'd have to be comparing to infinity models...
Old 06-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Still Lovin my 06

I think the new Max is bulbous and ugly. It's all subjective, though.
i like it, but i think it's more comparable to a honda model than to an acura model. nissan's aren't as reliable in my experience either.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 AM

True, the amenities (incl. the surprises, since I had test-driven a 2005 and bought a 2006 sight-unseen) made a big difference. HandsFreeLink, AUX input, etc.

The add'l amenities that are new to the 2009/2010 TSX aren't enough for me to waste money on trading up.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

True, the amenities (incl. the surprises, since I had test-driven a 2005 and bought a 2006 sight-unseen) made a big difference. HandsFreeLink, AUX input, etc.

The add'l amenities that are new to the 2009/2010 TSX aren't enough for me to waste money on trading up.
That's where the difference is for me. I have an 04, which has no bluetooth, aux input, heated mirrors, etc. My 04 doesn't have navi either, which I'd really like. So there are more upgrades for me since I have an older model.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Still Lovin my 06

i test drove the 2005 as well, but knew about everything that was coming in the 2006, and it was close enough to the release time that we just waited it out and got a good deal. we had to drive an old camry with leaky oil for 2 months more than we originally wanted to, but it was worth the wait.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Still Lovin my 06

That's where the difference is for me. I have an 04, which has no bluetooth, aux input, heated mirrors, etc. My 04 doesn't have navi either, which I'd really like. So there are more upgrades for me since I have an older model.
so you gonna go with a new 2009 or 2010? or are you gonna switch to a different car?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

so you gonna go with a new 2009 or 2010? or are you gonna switch to a different car?
I'll probably wait until 2011 or the MMC before buying. At that point I guess I'll drive a few cars and see what I like. For now, the TSX is probably at the top of my list. It'll be hard to wait because there are a few features I would really like to have.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Still Lovin my 06

I'll probably wait until 2011 or the MMC before buying. At that point I guess I'll drive a few cars and see what I like. For now, the TSX is probably at the top of my list. It'll be hard to wait because there are a few features I would really like to have.
i'm just curious, what features do you really like? i know you're missing a few that i have in the 2006, but i'm wondering what you like about the new models....

Quick Reply: Anyone Gonna Make the Switch to the 2010 v6?