Anybody else having problems with the garage door remote?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 10:23 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody else having problems with the garage door remote?

I can't seem to be able to program my garage door opener with the built in remote in the TSX. I have a Genie that IS homelink compatable. Any tips? I tried programming it over 20 times and can't get it to work.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:44 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

I programed mine with no problems. You are waiting until the lights flash like it says so, correct? Did mine and it worked first time around
Old 03-08-2006, 10:45 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
did you read the manual?

Did you push the button on the door opener?
Old 03-08-2006, 10:50 PM
9th Gear

yea i did, followed the directions word for word. pushed the button on the garage door opener countless times
Old 03-08-2006, 10:51 PM
kky
Cruisin'

I think I have a Genie too. I followed rolling code section in the TSX manual and use that training button on the garage door opener unit. Able to get it working without problem.

Only problem I have is not being able to program more than one button for the same garage door....
Old 03-08-2006, 10:53 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
make sure the homelink button is cleared and all that crap.

Like kky said, follow the intructions for the rolling code, if you havn't been
Old 03-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by yipyip1012
I can't seem to be able to program my garage door opener with the built in remote in the TSX. I have a Genie that IS homelink compatable. Any tips? I tried programming it over 20 times and can't get it to work.
you are not alone.

i have followed the direction word for word and it just did not work. one thing i realized tho was that i did this with the garage door open. i'm going to try it with the door closed.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No problems here. What brand is yours? Some brands are just wierd like that.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Racer

Yeah i have a genie as well. If you have around teh same version as me I'll give you quick directions.

First, clear your homelink memory *check users manual*, or if you have an open homelink button, use it.
Second, find a homelink button thats open, push it down until the light becomes solid, and aim and push your garage door remote to the homelink for about 10-20 seconds. It never hurts to keep pushin, but yeah.
Third, go push the button in your garage door opener *the actul opening thingy not the remote* On my genie, its a black button up front next to the light, but many other models have the red button.
Fourth, RUN TO YOUR CAR and push the homelink button you just programmed for 3-4 seconds about 5 times or until you garage door opens or closes. This run/push step MUST be completed within 30 seconds or it wont work.

Hopefully this works for you guys because it worked for me
Old 03-09-2006, 04:08 AM
06 TSX ASM/Ebony 5AT

Originally Posted by kky
I think I have a Genie too. I followed rolling code section in the TSX manual and use that training button on the garage door opener unit. Able to get it working without problem.

Only problem I have is not being able to program more than one button for the same garage door....
I did managed to program all three buttons (one at a time) to the same Genie garage door opener remote.
I did this the first night I picked up the car with the Quick Start guide.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Id like to do this just to use the feature. But i live in an apartment and my garage isnt connected to my building so I have to carry around the damn remote anyways
Old 03-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Racer

Are you using the opener to program it or the actual brain, I had issues with my opener, but then I tried it sending the signal from the brain in the garage and it worked the first time no problems
Old 03-09-2006, 09:38 AM
kky
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by yukit
I did managed to program all three buttons (one at a time) to the same Genie garage door opener remote.
I did this the first night I picked up the car with the Quick Start guide.
Do you have an 04? When I tried it, the first button stopped working after I programmed the second one. Maybe I'll give it another try later.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by sccpu3d
Fourth, RUN TO YOUR CAR and push the homelink button you just programmed for 3-4 seconds about 5 times or until you garage door opens or closes. This run/push step MUST be completed within 30 seconds or it wont work.
Try it with two people. One pushing the button on the Genie and the other to push the button on the homelink.....
Old 03-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

May or may not help:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...am+garage+door
Old 03-09-2006, 01:58 PM
kky
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
Try it with two people. One pushing the button on the Genie and the other to push the button on the homelink.....
I did it thru the moonroof.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Stardog Champion

My '04 worked with a Genie rolling code opener, so yours should work too.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by thatONEguy
Are you using the opener to program it or the actual brain, I had issues with my opener, but then I tried it sending the signal from the brain in the garage and it worked the first time no problems
When you hit the button on the actual opening motor, you are not sending the signal from there. What you are doing is pushing the "learn" button. Since it's a rolling code, you basically program the opener to the remote. Not the other way around like it seems. You are telling the motor to learn your remote code. So the motor actually stores your code and that's how it knows that it's your remote, and not somebody else's that has cloned your signal.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CKcentral
Id like to do this just to use the feature. But i live in an apartment and my garage isnt connected to my building so I have to carry around the damn remote anyways
You mean there's not a keypad on the outside of the door?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Cruisin'

Oh, I'm having problems. Trust me, it is being programmed correctly, however, the genie opener never does learn the homelink's code.

A post from a while ago said there was a bad batch of homelink xmitters. Anyone ever go through that? Local dealer says he never saw a bad homelink, I must be doing something wrong, blah blah blah. Guess my 20 years of electrical engineering never covered pushing a few frickin' buttons...
Old 03-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChadAmberg
Oh, I'm having problems. Trust me, it is being programmed correctly, however, the genie opener never does learn the homelink's code.

A post from a while ago said there was a bad batch of homelink xmitters. Anyone ever go through that? Local dealer says he never saw a bad homelink, I must be doing something wrong, blah blah blah. Guess my 20 years of electrical engineering never covered pushing a few frickin' buttons...
Dont feel bad. It can be confusing at times. Maybe try to call homelink tech support?
Old 03-09-2006, 08:32 PM
'04 NBP / Parchment 6MT

Check out www.homelink.com for instructions. I also went to the website for my opener to figure out the 'learn' button function.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Instructor

If you get it programmed you might hate it. I programmed mine with no problem but I need to put the nose of my car to the garage door in order for it to work. The range on mine is terrible.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

I have 04 TSX, can't get the damn thing to work i have tried every website, and all different instructions. I got the homelink to open my community gate.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:08 PM
ABP TSX

My '04 has worked 3 different garage door manufacturers, Lift Master, Genie, and a model from Sears. I have never had to program more than one time to get each door to work. I can open my new house garage door while driving down the alley three or four houses away. I have not had one problem in 2.5 years of using the Homelink system.

Every now and then, I drive by the old house just to lift up the door and scare the new owner.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:48 PM
06 TSX ASM/Ebony 5AT

Originally Posted by kky
Do you have an 04? When I tried it, the first button stopped working after I programmed the second one. Maybe I'll give it another try later.
Mine is an 06. I just repeated the same step for all three buttons.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:16 AM
Burning Brakes

I couldn't do it by following the instructions either. However, on some web sites (not Homelink), someone had the additional instruction to reset it completely (as mentioned above). This isn't mentioned in the owner's manual!

Anyway, after resetting, I was able to then follow the official instructions without too much trouble. Then I was able to reprogram another remote that I had programmed before, but had to wipe it out, and that works too.

So, it sounds like it's wrong that you have to wipe everything out and start over, but there you are....

Every now and then, I drive by the old house just to lift up the door and scare the new owner.
The previous owners to my house failed to leave the manual to the opener.

Fortunately, I found instructions online, and I've got mine all reprogrammed so that this kind of thing won't happen to me!
Old 03-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by vidgamer
I couldn't do it by following the instructions either. However, on some web sites (not Homelink), someone had the additional instruction to reset it completely (as mentioned above). This isn't mentioned in the owner's manual!

Anyway, after resetting, I was able to then follow the official instructions without too much trouble. Then I was able to reprogram another remote that I had programmed before, but had to wipe it out, and that works too.

So, it sounds like it's wrong that you have to wipe everything out and start over, but there you are....

The previous owners to my house failed to leave the manual to the opener.

Fortunately, I found instructions online, and I've got mine all reprogrammed so that this kind of thing won't happen to me!
Sweet! glad everything worked out for you.

With regards to driving by the previous owners place...i got an 04 loaner while waiting for my 05 to come in, while toying around with the nav, the 04 was from the used car lot that the dealer just lent to me. Anyways... when i hit "go home" the navi didn't ask for a passcode and it would take me straight to his house. Then... the Homelink buttons were already programmed too as well. So i could've driven over to his house and made his door go up and down.

Moral of the story? Make sure you reset the homelink and the navigation/scheduler/personal settings in the navi BEFORE you sell the car.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:56 PM
abs
Cruisin'

I had problems programming my Homelink until I found out this interesting piece of information - the Homelink transmitters in our cars will only work with garage door openers if they run within a certain frequency band. I can't recall the exact range (Homelink told me when I called), but I was having tons of problems until I called Homelink. They had me read the FCC ID # on my remote to them, and they told me that my particular opener operates at too low a frequency to be compatible with the Homelink.

The solution for me was to buy an aftermarket transmitter at Lowe's, which piggybacks onto your existing opener, and comes with it's own remote. That remote/transmitter operates at a frequency that Homelink can use. Since then, I've had no problems.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've had the same problem...my advice, make sure u're close enough to the "brain of it" because mine required that my car was at most 3 or so feet from the garage door. Next, it really helps to have someone operate the brain, and the other the homelink. I had my sister press the button in the tsx while i pressed the unit itself. My dad has a x5 that we had for a year which we never learned how to program either until i figured it out on the tsx. Unfortuantely...my unit only has 2-3 remote memories...so my other remotes are now useles...
Old 03-13-2006, 09:11 AM
10th Gear

I finally gave up after trying about 50 times over two months. I called the number in the manual and after telling her my opener model the lady on the line had it working in less then a minute.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Chris

I can't get my homelink to work and I don't think I ever will. My opener is over 20 yrs old and it's called a "Touch n Go 100SS". I googled it and it doesn't even come up. Ancient!

Old 12-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by csj0952
I can't get my homelink to work and I don't think I ever will. My opener is over 20 yrs old and it's called a "Touch n Go 100SS". I googled it and it doesn't even come up. Ancient!

Are you sure your opener has Homelink? If not, it won't work.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:28 PM
3rd Gear

I couldn't get my Homelink to work on the garage door. I followed word for word. I tried 20 times. No luck.

So, I looked up the homelink website and called the service number. They walked me through it in 2 minutes.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the first button to work, but I can't program the other 2 to do anything. I wanted to prgram the second for the shop, but the damn things won't work.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Advanced

Let me attempt to clear things up for some people here that cannot get it working. My father owns a garage door installation company so I have extensive experience here.

There are two types of garage door openers in General

1) Uses an "intelligent" code that will change the sequence of the code everytime (designed so that thieves with remote door detection equipment cannot catch your code and then clone a remote to open your door and rob you)

2) Older doors which used a fixed code (usually if you open up your remote you will see a series of up/down switches and can be programmed manually).

IF you have door #1, the intelligent type, then most likely you will have to open up the ACTUAL garage door opener unit (where the motor is) and not just use the remote. There should be a button within the unit that is usually black or red. That button is known as the learn code button. When you press the button down, it will essentially broadcast the code to any compatible devices nearby. So if within 30 seconds you also press the homelink down on your car, your car will learn the code.

IF you have door type #2, then the process can be completed simply by using the REMOTE for your garage door opener. All you have to do is press down your homelink button for a short amount of time, at which point (depending on the car model) the light will turn solid or it will begin flashing. At this point, just press the open/close button on your REMOTE and hold it down for a period of time. This should program the homelink also.

One further note: Sometimes a garage door opening unit can only accept a certain number of remote controllers. In most case this number is 5. So if you for some reason have already programmed 5 cars and try to program a 6th car, it will not work. The limit includes the amount of remote controls AND homelink devices.

Of course it goes without saying that your garage door opener must be homelink compatible in the first place. Hope this helped some people
Old 12-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Nissin Ramen

Originally Posted by FBPaCCord
Let me attempt to clear things up for some people here that cannot get it working. My father owns a garage door installation company so I have extensive experience here.

There are two types of garage door openers in General

1) Uses an "intelligent" code that will change the sequence of the code everytime (designed so that thieves with remote door detection equipment cannot catch your code and then clone a remote to open your door and rob you)

2) Older doors which used a fixed code (usually if you open up your remote you will see a series of up/down switches and can be programmed manually).

IF you have door #1, the intelligent type, then most likely you will have to open up the ACTUAL garage door opener unit (where the motor is) and not just use the remote. There should be a button within the unit that is usually black or red. That button is known as the learn code button. When you press the button down, it will essentially broadcast the code to any compatible devices nearby. So if within 30 seconds you also press the homelink down on your car, your car will learn the code.

IF you have door type #2, then the process can be completed simply by using the REMOTE for your garage door opener. All you have to do is press down your homelink button for a short amount of time, at which point (depending on the car model) the light will turn solid or it will begin flashing. At this point, just press the open/close button on your REMOTE and hold it down for a period of time. This should program the homelink also.

One further note: Sometimes a garage door opening unit can only accept a certain number of remote controllers. In most case this number is 5. So if you for some reason have already programmed 5 cars and try to program a 6th car, it will not work. The limit includes the amount of remote controls AND homelink devices.

Of course it goes without saying that your garage door opener must be homelink compatible in the first place. Hope this helped some people

Great explanation!

Old 12-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Question

Furthering the question...I have a "Non-Homelink" garage door opener(Opener#1 above). So for all points of discussion I can't link it to the car. My parents have an OLD (20+ yearrs, I would guess Pre-Homelink time) garage door opener(opener#2 above). My dad was able to program his homelink to their door opener, however I can't get mine to link to my opener no matter what I do, short of buying a new relay transmitter, per the Homelink people. Could some please explain how this is at all possible. And how is the relay transmitter able to work if the Homelink won't. Thanks for any input.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by markm929
Furthering the question...I have a "Non-Homelink" garage door opener(Opener#1 above). So for all points of discussion I can't link it to the car. My parents have an OLD (20+ yearrs, I would guess Pre-Homelink time) garage door opener(opener#2 above). My dad was able to program his homelink to their door opener, however I can't get mine to link to my opener no matter what I do, short of buying a new relay transmitter, per the Homelink people. Could some please explain how this is at all possible. And how is the relay transmitter able to work if the Homelink won't. Thanks for any input.

mark, give me the make and model # on your garage door openers and I'll see if I can look up the info. There are certain garage doors that are simply incompatible with ANY homelink devices
Old 12-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by FBPaCCord
mark, give me the make and model # on your garage door openers and I'll see if I can look up the info. There are certain garage doors that are simply incompatible with ANY homelink devices
I have a Wayne-Dalton Quantum model # 3213.

Thanks for your assistance FBP.

Quick Reply: Anybody else having problems with the garage door remote?