any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 09:46 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any regrets?

So as my time to put a deposit down on a TSX (finally... after 8 months of waiting) draws near, and I read of the laundry list of rattles - which seems to be the only broad problem experienced by more than just a few people, I start to wonder: could I tolerate spending almost $30k for a car with rattles or could I wait until the next year's model? Anyone have regrets that they purchased the first year of the TSX and will have to live with rattles - or the threat thereof - for years to come?

I finally took a test drive this last weekend (Acura of Bellevue, WA), but they limit it to 15min on the weekend since they have so few in stock. Not to mention they say "MSRP", but I just told the guy I've read on how people get the car for $1500 off :-) Salespeople... just doing their job, but, man, they can be such fakes.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:11 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Either people have grown tired of talking about them or the rattles have started to become fewer as the later series of TSXs arrive. Either way I have ZERO regrets! The driving and ownership experience of this car is far to awesome to be destroyed by rattles or the potential threat of rattles.

After two months I still like an idiot whenever friends and co-workers bring up the topic of my car.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Talking

I have had my car now for almost 4 months and I can truly say with minimal bias, that I have not a single regret about the TSX. Everytime I look at and especially drive my car I cannot help but have a big grin. So many have commented that it looks like a $60,000 car.
I have had some rattles but when I brought to my Dealer's attention they immediately took it in and fixed it in about 1/2hr they wouldn't comment on where it was coming from. I don't care as long as it's gone.
So I am pretty sure any cars coming off the line now are devoid of the rattle we early purchasers saw.

Most of the reviews - from Autospies to Car&Driver are heaping tremendous praise on the car. We're definitely looking at a 10Best Winner (like my old 98 Prelude) and quite possibly, dare I say it... Car of The Year?
Unless they give it to Bangle's Bungled BMW the 5er.

Cheers,
Kaz
Old 08-11-2003, 11:06 AM

i've had my tsx for 3+ weeks now and I have no regrets. everytime i pull out the ignition key it feels like the trip was too short...i need to plan a long road trip!!! :P

Originally posted by TSXnT-dot
I have had some rattles but when I brought to my Dealer's attention they immediately took it in and fixed it in about 1/2hr they wouldn't comment on where it was coming from. I don't care as long as it's gone.
is the rattle problem a known Acura problem? i mean if i take it to my dealership will they know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it? i'm assuming it's a known problem if the later TSXs don't seem to have this problem, Acura is prolly just keeping it hush hush so it doesn't negatively impact the brand/model image
Old 08-11-2003, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

What dealership did you take your car to? My car has a few rattles that I would like to be fixed by a service department that has dealt with them before. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 08-11-2003, 12:11 PM
Banned

No regrets, Vito. For one thing, just turn your bass down to -2 and no more buzzing. For another, the engine gets stronger as you rack up the miles. And last, pictures really don't do the car justice. I still get a lot of pleasure just walking up to the car!
Old 08-11-2003, 12:33 PM
SEM
Cruisin'

vitocorleone-
I cant speak for any rattles (hopefully not ever). As for the dealer, I too took a test drive at Acura of Bellevue. Both the internet dealer and another salesman I spoke with would not budge off of MSRP. Now, Acura of Seattle was a different story. They let me walk on my offer of 28,200, but we did find agreement at 28.4. Certainly not 1500., but I dont know if thats happening here in Seattle area.
Doug the internet manager was great to deal with. They even offered to get me in a loaner car once they get a VIN number for my car (I decided to sell my car to very eager buyers and just "make do" in the mean time).

Good luck.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:16 PM
Pro

Just picked up my car on thursday. Everynight I just can't wait for the next day so I can get back into my car. I can't to wake up to drive it and I can't wait to get off work to drive home. About the rattles, it really depends on how loud you have your music and the bass tone of the music. I've had certain music up and only hear it across some.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

No regrets here...I've had mine three weeks tomorrow and I love it. I also believe Acura has solved the rattle problems as I have none and I crank the stereo often. The only thing I hate so far is that it's rained every other day since I got mine. I've washed it like 8-9 times already. I had it blingin on Sunday as no rain was forecast...It rained cats and dogs today.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:08 PM
Intermediate

No regrets here either. Even though I got screwed by the dealer who wouldnt go below MSRP and charged a hefty fee for fog lights, I look at the car everday and appreciate how unique it is.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:01 PM
Instructor

I dunno if it's a known problem but it's fixed now.
I took my car into Sterne Acura in Aurora. It's a small dealership but with personalized service which is amazing.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:11 PM
Advanced

Had mine only about 3 months. No rattles and no regrets
Old 08-11-2003, 10:17 PM
More On

.......it's fixed now....
Do you know what they did to fix it?
Old 08-11-2003, 10:23 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Im going to be objective here, and state my opinion- its not a regret- but simply a slight observation.

If you put a TSX, an A4, and a BMW 3 series beside eachother- it's blatantly obvious which one is the cheapest. From the outside, the TSX's exterior is bland, unagressive, and inoffensive. You dont get the same kind of 'oh wow' factor driving the TSX as you would, say, driving an 3 series or an A4.
And, most annoyingly, no matter how many times I hear it, when my friends call my car 'the riced out Accord', there is nothing much I can argue against that comment. It is what it is. As the magazines state, it is not a BMW beater, nor does it have the looks that Audi is famous for... but it is the best car below $30,000, just like Autospies says.

And, it looks way better than the Mazda Six.... even though the Mazda is the TSX's evil clone.

J.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Instructor

larchmont,
I asked them where it was coming from they just passenger side door.
What they did to fix it I do not know, just that they had gotten information from Honda Canada about it.

bowersan,
I agree with the styling aspect, but A4 is one of the sexiest sedans around. Not much looks attractive beside it.

The riced out Accord comment is a little much, what do your friends find rice about it? It's clean, understated, exudes a quiet confidence, not things one thinks of when one thinks of "rice" IMHO.

Kaz
Old 08-11-2003, 10:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by bowersan
Im going to be objective here, and state my opinion- its not a regret- but simply a slight observation.

If you put a TSX, an A4, and a BMW 3 series beside eachother- it's blatantly obvious which one is the cheapest. From the outside, the TSX's exterior is bland, unagressive, and inoffensive. You dont get the same kind of 'oh wow' factor driving the TSX as you would, say, driving an 3 series or an A4.
And, most annoyingly, no matter how many times I hear it, when my friends call my car 'the riced out Accord', there is nothing much I can argue against that comment. It is what it is. As the magazines state, it is not a BMW beater, nor does it have the looks that Audi is famous for... but it is the best car below $30,000, just like Autospies says.

And, it looks way better than the Mazda Six.... even though the Mazda is the TSX's evil clone.

J.
My friends call it a souped up Accord. Ya know what? The proverbial "Rats Ass" comes to mind. I had a customer park there 03 Accord Sedan next to my TSX, no comparision. The TSX is way cooler looking, the coupe isn't even close. I'm perfectly happy with my souped up Accord.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:18 PM
Drifting

I am thrilled to own this car. I do have rattles but I am confident they will eventually get fixed. No big deal. I'd be much more worried over a door ding or something of that nature. Today my purchase got validated b/c my boss is in town and I have to chauffer him around. He got in my car and he was like, damn, this is a nice car. I had to explain that it wasn't that much more than an Accord and that I'm not overpaid. I'm not sure he believed me.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:24 PM
Instructor

What's kind of funny is that here in Silicon Valley, BMW's are a dime a dozen (especially the 3 Series), so the TSX actually (to me at least) is more intriguing, rare, and unique. It may not drive as well as a BMW, but it drives pretty damn well, and it doesn't cost as much. I am really sick of seeing silver 3 Series *everywhere* (I see at least 5 a day, and that's just at my office).

IMHO, *part* of the allure of luxury cars is that very few other people have them, they're not supposed to be "common."
Old 08-11-2003, 11:51 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

My friends argue the blue 'pimp' lighting is rice-y, and the general civic-esque similarities (park next to a civic coupe, the similarities are undeniable) along with the fact that, yes, this IS a Honda, a well-known rice-able product- prove that there is huge rice factor in the TSX.

Wait for a Toronto meet in 2008. After the aftermarket products storm Toronto... you'll see what potential for rice this car has.

Granted, im keeping mine stock....

As for the reference to a "souped up/riced accord".. how can you argue that? It's what it is.. an accord thats got more stuff in it than normal.. therefore calling it 'souped' makes perfect sense.

Wow, this is SO offtopic.

Sorry.

J.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by pansuria

IMHO, *part* of the allure of luxury cars is that very few other people have them, they're not supposed to be "common."
Bingo! You got it! 3-series are a dime a dozen and are VERY common.

In some contexts in some areas of the English-speaking world, "common" is a put down, like Mc Donald's restaurants are "common". People are "common" too.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:55 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Brad, maybe you should move to Toronto, in the country where Honda sells more cars to the relative average to the population than any country in the world.. I average at least a TSX a day now... sometimes even 4-5...

:P
Not that im complaining.. get a good view each time one drives by.

J.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:39 AM
Racer

I think that the TSX is just a plain out souped up "better" accord. For those who want to argue that it is not, i think has to get a reality check. I am fully buying this car, knowing that a lot of haters, or at least the people who know about them, saying that this car is just an accord. However the keyword is, it is a BETTER accord. Hell, i see nothing bad in that either. Why is the accord so freaking popular? cuz its a damn good car. And the TSX is a huge step up from that as well. Only one thing im really worried about is that, how popular the car will get and how ricey people will start making it. I guess though it won't be that bad... as it won't be worse then a prelude.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:51 AM
Houston we have a problem

Totally agree with finalheaven. What's wrong in improving an already excellent car? For $27K, there are no others that came even close to the value of this dressed up Euro Accord. For the money, I wouldn't look else where. I have no regrets in owning this car, only liking it more and more.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:03 AM
Banned

Accord is a family car; TSX is a sports sedan.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:08 PM
Advanced

Three weeks, no rattles, no regrets.
Have yet to see another in the wild around here.
Have seen some people discretely stare, trying to figure out what it is. Feels oddly satisfying, that. ;-)

Very happy with mine; its not just a good car on a test drive or the open road, but its also a good, car to live with, day-to-day, which is good since I intend to live with it for a long time...
Old 08-12-2003, 01:02 PM
Pro

J.
-------------------------------------------------------------

By far the most honest and well written thing I have seen on this board.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:11 PM
Instructor

My friends argue the blue 'pimp' lighting is rice-y, and the general civic-esque similarities (park next to a civic coupe, the similarities are undeniable) along with the fact that, yes, this IS a Honda, a well-known rice-able product- prove that there is huge rice factor in the TSX.

Wait for a Toronto meet in 2008. After the aftermarket products storm Toronto... you'll see what potential for rice this car has.

Granted, im keeping mine stock....

As for the reference to a "souped up/riced accord".. how can you argue that? It's what it is.. an accord thats got more stuff in it than normal.. therefore calling it 'souped' makes perfect sense.

Wow, this is SO offtopic.

Sorry.

J.
where is this blue light that illuminates the shifter? is it always on? can you turn it off? i've heard it mentioned a lot, but i didn't notice it when i drove the car.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:27 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Iceman
Accord is a family car; TSX is a sports sedan.
And yet the Accord has a V6 option with 240hp for $1,500 less? I'm not sure that is the best comparison since that family of 4 might leave you in the dust at the stoplight...
Old 08-12-2003, 01:39 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

The blue light shines down from the roof unit when the headlights are turned on. Although I refer to it as "pimp lighting", it is more commonly known as "Ambient Lighting" and is not unique to Acura cars. The Passat and A4 both have two red LEDs shining on the dash from under the rearview mirror. My friend's 1999 Chrysler Caravan has a green LED ambient light.

Essentially, it is a simply a tiny blue LED that softly illuminates the shifter at night. It really helps when it's dark outside and you need to know what gear you are in.

J.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Teh seX

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By far the most honest and well written thing I have seen on this board.
thats ur guys' opinion..
Old 08-12-2003, 07:43 PM
Yui
Pro

I like the A4's styling as well but to say the TSX's exterior is bland and unaggressive? Compare the front fascia of the A4, 325, and TSX - I'd say the TSX is by far the most aggressive looking of the three. Combine that with lower profile side windows and the awesome rear bumper - sorry, I have to disagree with y'all here: I think the TSX looks the best of the bunch.

I certainly didn't buy the TSX because "it's a super value" or "it's the best car under 30,000" but simply because I love the way it looks and drives.

I have but one regret: taking a turn 5 mph faster than normal with the crappy OEM tires... ahh well =) live and learn... still love my car though...
Old 08-12-2003, 08:14 PM
Teh seX

i love how the a4 and the 3 series looks.. but IMO if you add the underbody lip kit to the tsx and drop it .. it looks more agressive than both of the other cars.. i love how the tsx looks and the way the interior is done.. beautiful car..
Old 08-12-2003, 08:25 PM
More On

My "objective" opinion:

TSX is the new guy on the block. That's a definite, very prominent factor.

So, BMW and Audi are relatively ordinary due to familiarity. TSX laps the field -- at least for now.

How will it look after it becomes familiar too? I can't tell; the car's impression right now is too dominated by its newness for me to have any idea what it would look like or seem like without that.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:58 PM

Accord is a family car; TSX is a sports sedan
lol No car that does 0-60 in 8.0 secs is a "sports sedan"and second the "Accord" is way sportyer....lol
Old 08-12-2003, 09:05 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by adam fiooz
lol No car that does 0-60 in 8.0 secs is a "sports sedan"and second the "Accord" is way sportyer....lol
and i bet you are one of those guys that think real race car drivers only need to make left turns...
Old 08-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Racer

Originally posted by 2focus
and i bet you are one of those guys that think real race car drivers only need to make left turns...
Its alright its because he owns an accord :P
Old 08-12-2003, 10:13 PM
Teh seX

Originally posted by adam fiooz

MT hits 0-60 anywhere from 7.3-7.7.. with stock tires....

with new tires..mods done..this will be a pretty fast car.. besides..stock is gone enough for me.. and best of all looks better than the accord...heh
Old 08-13-2003, 12:01 AM

lol And the accord handles better and once again the accord is much nicer looking outside from front to back and has more room and most peaple would agree.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:02 AM

0-60 in 8.0 secs learn your car son.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:13 AM
Instructor

asked them where it was coming from they just passenger side door.
So this rattle problem seems to be known company-wide and is an issue, eh? Bad, as in this shouldn't have escaped quality control. Good, as in it's known and easily fixed.

Just wonder what it is? A loose what?

Quick Reply: any regrets?