any good ideas for preventing underside bumper scrap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any good ideas for preventing underside bumper scrap?

any tips from guys with lowered rides? i just resprayed my front bumper and i'm thinking of how to protect it from scrapping the undersides.

adding a lip is an option, but car already lowered, it's making the lip even lower. this means i'll scrap the lip on a regular basis, although it is meant for that purpose, but not very ideal.

some guys here from here added weatherstrips to the underside. it's quite nicely done.

except it falls off easily after some scrapping.

how, any ideas?
Old 04-10-2009, 07:18 AM
Registered TSXer

^thats from wong05tsx, he says that weatherstrip didn't last very long at all lol. Drive more careful or raise your car up a little bit i guess?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yea that is Wong's car. Nothing can really protect you against a 3300+/- lbs car driving and hitting asphalt or concrete...esp weatherstripping lol. All you can really do is drive more carefully, takes bumps much slower and just be aware of your surroundings. If you scrape a lot then you will need to raise your car a bit to avoid doing that. It would be nice if there was some way to protect the undercarriage though...let's invent something!!! lol
Old 04-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Intermediate

hydrolics will do the trick
Old 04-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hmm is that a front splitter on your car? (black piece under your lip -- maybe splitter isn't the right word lol)

yeah that's my car, what seemed to work for someone else (I think lcrazyaznl?) was to use the weatherstripping like I did, but in addition to the tape it comes with, take self tapping screws to screw the weather stripping onto the lip so that it is on there tight.

I would presume you'd need to do this every few ~6inchs though.

If you can figure out a way to do it please do share, otherwise yours' may end up looking like this lol
Old 04-11-2009, 04:26 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wong05tsx
Hmm is that a front splitter on your car? (black piece under your lip -- maybe splitter isn't the right word lol)

yeah that's my car, what seemed to work for someone else (I think lcrazyaznl?) was to use the weatherstripping like I did, but in addition to the tape it comes with, take self tapping screws to screw the weather stripping onto the lip so that it is on there tight.

I would presume you'd need to do this every few ~6inchs though.
the front thingy you referring to is commonly know as bumper lip, v-lip or underspoiler lip.there's alot of names to it depending on where you come from. but it doesn't work in this instance because the car is already very low.

however, a thin lip that follows the contour like this one will work well:

but that's for a wish.

so if any of you guys out there can do this lip, we can organise a group buy. i'm sure many of us honda cl7 drivers in singapore will buy it too. but it has to be PU rubber though. fibreglass lips are a waste of time.

self tapping screws onto your front bumper... it's just like damaging the bumper in other ways. though i've thought of that, but don't feel right screwing holes onto my bumper, especially so many.

we need more ideas
Old 04-11-2009, 04:35 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sortudo7
Yea that is Wong's car. Nothing can really protect you against a 3300+/- lbs car driving and hitting asphalt or concrete...esp weatherstripping lol. All you can really do is drive more carefully, takes bumps much slower and just be aware of your surroundings. If you scrape a lot then you will need to raise your car a bit to avoid doing that. It would be nice if there was some way to protect the undercarriage though...let's invent something!!! lol
i drive in a place called singapore (no it's not part of china) where some of the most absurd multi storey carpark designs exist, like a huge hump on downslope, or sharp upslopes. you can't even full lock your steering to get over it because there's no space on the left or right to do it. standard 7inch roadside kerbs are out to kill.

yes, we need to invent something. and no i will not raise my car because i love the way i looks. i'll change everything else to keep that look lol. vain.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Modding newbie

Ignoring the fact that you complain because your car is so low, but refuse to raise it, there's only one thing I can think of that will allow you to keep the same look, but get the car higher. Get tires with a higher aspect ratio. Raise the car a little so you have the same gap and get a wheel/tire combo that's larger than what you have now so the bottom of your car will be farther from the ground but you'll have the same gap around your wheels. You might even have less gap, which is probably the look you're going for.

Other than that, don't complain about having a car that's lowered, but refuse to raise it. You're complaining about a problem you caused.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Itchytoe
Ignoring the fact that you complain because your car is so low, but refuse to raise it, there's only one thing I can think of that will allow you to keep the same look, but get the car higher. Get tires with a higher aspect ratio. Raise the car a little so you have the same gap and get a wheel/tire combo that's larger than what you have now so the bottom of your car will be farther from the ground but you'll have the same gap around your wheels. You might even have less gap, which is probably the look you're going for.

Other than that, don't complain about having a car that's lowered, but refuse to raise it. You're complaining about a problem you caused.
you can't really raise much by changing the tire/rim combi. the most you can go is 3% bigger than stock, which is about 0.4inch higher. anything more than 3% is not recommended i think.

well... if i have to put it, lowering cars is to man is like wearing high heels is to women.

if there are good ideas to protect the bumper and yet have lowered nice looks, i think it benefits all.