Am I nuts for considering a swap of my 06' TSX for an 07' Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 11:33 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drunkenbuda
Man, i remember when i first got my 05 TSX...a week later some ass open their door and ding my front bumper, and later on more rock chips to come...more chips on my car then a fat kid party. I love my TSX( better then any Civic on the road )and the payments are almost done...i only have 2g left until pay off!
congrats, i'm only 9 months into my payments. 51 more to go!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brady. Brady!

Are you ignoring me, or are you just not reading the other replies? I just posted a reply on the previous page stating i'm keeping my TSX. Then I posted another reply where I tried to point this out to you.

There is no longer a need to reply telling me why I should keep my TSX.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Tigerriot
I only gave the 2 year comment because several people in this thread have suggested that I just keep the TSX for a few years because the depreciation it the worst in the first couple years. I was simply pointing out the anti logic surrounding those statements.

I have only responded or "shot down" some arguements that didn't make any sense to me. I really haven't made up my mind. I'm still very much thinking it all over. I have done some more research though, and the only car i'd feel comfortable going down to would be the EX Civic. I wish I could accept an LX, but I think that would be too much of step down from my TSX.
i agree with you here, keeping it for 2-3 years instead of bailing now will not make you better off. keeping it for 5-7 years would probably though.

if you care to chat about the civic, i do like it, send me a private msg and we'll chat tomorrow over instant messenger or something and you can bounce some ideas off me. but i really don't think, unless you really dislike the tsx, that you're better off financially with the civic. if you are, it's only a slight amount, and not justifiable with the comforts and safeties of the TSX.

blue tooth....if you talk on the phone in the car this is priceless for safety in my opinion.
size....civic is safe, but tsx is safer simply because it's size with all the SUVs on the road these days. if you have kids cruising in the back, i'd not want a civic at all.
many many other reasons (trunk space in the TSX is barely sufficient for me, even though it's quite large)!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Still Lovin my 06

It's happened. I have awaken from my cloudy haze of confusion, and doubt. I have decided definitively that I am keeping my TSX.

It's kinda funny what triggered the sudden clarity for me. I just found myself browsing the BMW site for the first time ever, as i've always had a thing for 3's. I was admiring the sweet 3 sedan, and thinking about the possibility that I could own one someday in the future. Suddenly it hit me, "you already own a car thats darn near as good you MORON".

So, it all became clear for some strange reason. I just know that I don't want to get rid of my TSX, when I know that if I did, it would be a long time before I ever got near another car of it's calibur again. I already own a car that is near the quality of a BMW 3, and i'll be damned if it's probably even more reliable in the long run.

Sorry if this thread annoyed the hell out a few of you. It might have been dumb to post such a topic to begin with, but it seemed easier than bringing up the idea to my wife or friends first.

ahhhhh...finally got to the end, and very relieved!

congratulations and enjoy!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Brady. Brady!

Are you ignoring me, or are you just not reading the other replies? I just posted a reply on the previous page stating i'm keeping my TSX. Then I posted another reply where I tried to point this out to you.

There is no longer a need to reply telling me why I should keep my TSX.

PLEASE KEEP YOUR TSX!!!!!

sorry, i don't read entire threads, i read, and respond as i get through it. i had a lot of catching up to do, and by the time i caught up, my comments were not relevant.

but i'm truly glad you're keeping it, because i wasnt going to say this, but i think the styling of the new civic is FUGLY.

congrats man.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:08 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Well this was a long thread and before I got to add my you have already made your decision. I think this all boils down to what you want versus what you need and that is only a decision each buyer can make for themselves.

I currently own a 6 year old 3 series coupe. I cost me 37 grand new and I waited over 3 months for it to arrive. When I bought that car I lived in the South Bay of Los Angeles. What a beautiful place and full of expensive cars and fun places to drive. When I lived there I really enjoyed carving up the twisties of San Pedro, Mulhouland Drive and La Canada... even the time I almost killed myself in an unexpended street flood in a sharp blind curve at 40+ mph. Thank God for DSC! I commuted for a year from El Segundo to the south side of San Pedro. Instead of taking the fastest route down the Harbor freeway I always took the back roads around the peninsula. What a fun drive, twisties in front of you and the ocean to your side. Cost was not my priority at the time and I have no regrets about that car that I still own. When it is clean and shiny (not very often anymore) it is still a pretty car but it is showing its age and I need a new car.

Now my job has brought me to Houston TX. The only twisties here are freeway exits and I don't even drive those except on weekends. My commute to work is in traffic and I barely get over 40 mph. I'm getting older and my priorities are shifting as well. I thought about a new 3-series but the RF tires and the price of a car with the options I want puts it at a price I just don't want to pay. I have driven the new 3 twice and it handles better than my car and is faster, definately an improvement, but for me the cost/benefit is no longer there.

My Girl Friend bought one of the first 06 Civic EX Coupe in Nov 05. We have over 10,000 miles on it. I have driven it many times. Here are my impressions:

- Acceleration: for a small engine it has sufficient pep 97% of the time. It will definetaly get you from one red light to the next just was well as the TSX, 3-Series, or Boxster for that matter. I really have no complaints here because I don't expect it to accel like a 6 cyl or a 205 hp engine. In a flat out race to the next red light with a TSX, you will both get there and wait for the green side by side.
- Interior: I admit I was not sold of the two-layer dash at first. But I have to say after getting used to it I really like it. When I get back into my 3 and bother to look at the odometer it takes me an extra second to determine my speed. Yes after a few speeding tickets I try to keep it reasonable. The speed display is at a perfect distance that you don't need to refocus your eyes. Our civic was made in Canada and when I use my polarized sunglasses they partially block out the LED displays. Annoying. They polarized it "90 degress off" if you know what I mean. This does not seem to be a problem on sedans I've driven. Odd. The cloth is very nice for cloth. In Houston where it can hit 115 in your car, the heat of leather seats is not so great. I like leather but cloth in a hot place like Houston is more practical. The quality of the swtiches and buttons is much improved over previous Civics and I have no problem with them. There are some sterring wheel controls and the nav option has some voice commands, but like like the TSX. The seats on the Coupe have nice bolsters, the sedan not so much.
- Exterior: Well this is completly subjective. The TSX is very nice looking car. The Civic styling takes time for some to get to like, but we like the coupe.
- Driving: I've driven the TSX a few times and there is no comparison in driving qualities. The TSX wins hands down as you would expect. The Civic handles just fine but it is not as stable as the TSX and not as responsive to driver input and to cornering. But of course driving qualities is one of the main reasons to by a sports sedan afterall, so if this was not the case the TSX would not be selling out each month. For commuting to work, the Civic is fine, for having fun the TSX wins
- Noise: the Civic has a lot of interior noise. A little too much for me. Of course they do not put as much effort into this as they do on the TSX. If I bought a Civic I would end up putting some effort into sound deadening. You should see what some have done on Civic forums! Some of the noise is from the tires, some just road noise up through the underside and doors. This needs improvement.
- Service and Reliability: Well what can I say about buying a car in the first year of production. Our Civic has been pretty trouble free, but we did just get the front struts replaced. The struts on many 06's were defective and Honda replaced them at no cost. They also had trouble with the engine mounts. We didn't have this problem but many have had these replaced again at no charge. We also got a software update that improved the response of the throttle by wire system. Again no charge (and shouldn't be!). Each time we took it to the dealer and had to leave it, they gave us a no-cost loaner without having to ask. Other than this we have had no problem with the car. No squeaks or rattles yet. I know the 04 TSX had several first year issues and the 04 and 05 had rattles and squeaks. It seems they have been worked out since 06. I have also heard in this forum many times of Acura dealers not giving loaner cars. I expect an Acura to always give a loaner, I don't expect it of Honda, but our dealer does. I think this is a reflection of the dealer more so than the brand.
- Gas Milage: we have not gotten the advertized mileage but haven't checked lately. We mostly drive in the city so I don't expect 40 mpg, but I expct 30 and we usually got 26-27. On the highway it will be low-mid 30's. Of course it takes regular gas which I jsut saw tonight at Shell for $2.14!
- Warrenty: Yes the TSX has a 4/50 warrenty, the Civic 3/36. But we bought a 6/100 extended warrenty on-line for a little over 600 bucks. Such a deal.
- Sound System: The Civic sounds better than my 6-yr old 3-series (when at a stop light). Haven't spent enough time in the TSX to campare here but I would expect the TSX is better.

I all comes down to your priorities and it seems you have figured that out. I'm not sure I have. I had made up my mind in 05 to get the 06 when it came out. I tried several times to negotiate a good deal and got fed up with the attitude of Houston dealers and quite trying. Now is a great time to get a deal on an 06 and I will probably try again. But there is an annoying voice in the back of my head to go the cheap route and get an 07 Civic w/nav and save 7-8 grand. But I'm just not sure I'd be happy 3-4 years from now. I think they have worked out the early bug in the 07's so I would have no reservations about buying that car. But it jsut comes down to priorities. I do have other places to put my money but driving a nice car is satisfying as is having a nice HD TV (which I don't have but could get for 7 grand!) so I'm in your boat but haven't pulled the trigger yet. When I do I don't want to have doubt over my decision. I think you should enjoy your TSX and not think about your dilemma. In a few years if you find the TSX wasn't worth it, there will be many 07, 08 Civics that can be had for cheap.

You only drive so many miles in life, you might as well enjoy them!
Old 09-23-2006, 04:06 AM
AlwysCleanURArely c ASpec

your 30 years old, doing well in your career, have something to show for it. Kids in high school have civics.. its a basic car, nothing too great about it. Im only 20, luckily I have a nice car, and people take me serious with a TSX. At the age of 30, I dont want someone to think I'm wingin it with my career in a civic. My friend's dad used to have a civic to take the train, and he's a partner in a big accounting firm. Other clients/customers/partners would laugh (or just be confused) when they saw him roll up in a late 90's civic. Soon after he got a CLK benz to suffice.

KEEP IT!!!
Old 09-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Advanced

we traded an 06 civic LOADED for an 06 TSX after only 3 months
Old 09-23-2006, 11:53 AM
No-navi, yo

Originally Posted by Threedom
we traded an 06 civic LOADED for an 06 TSX after only 3 months
How much did that cost you?
Old 09-24-2006, 08:07 AM
Advanced

between 3 and 4 thousand
Old 09-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Advanced

Then the first TSX we tried had a wind whistle near the driver's window so they were supposed to fix it as part of the purchase deal.
They tried everything they could think of and wanted us to get another TSX after a few weeks. Tried to jack us for another 1500 but we ended up settling on the $55 license charge only.