Am I close to getting what car I want?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 01:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I close to getting what car I want?

So I have at least two weeks to decide. Actually I get my drivers license in two weeks. I have directed myself to the TSX, but today I went to drive the TL. First I must say what cars I had in mind: Lexus IS300 (dont like the outside design), Infiniti G35 coupe ($$$), MB C230 (Parents have MB and quality is , Audi A4 (I'm not feeling that cars interior), and that's it.

The sales guy at Acura told me to at least take it for a ride. It was 36,000 w/o Navi. It had a $2300 mark-up??? I must say that the power is there if you need it. It was a very nice car. Although the car does look a bit weird without the navigation screen. The sales guy kept on asking me if this is something I could live with. He wouldnt stop. I was driving the AT. I asked him if it had a sport shifter and he said no. And then I directed him to area where it's at. He seemed amazed. Then all of the sudden he decided to put the heat on the car. My dad was with me and then he mentioned that it was getting a little hot. The sales guy made it cooler. Mind you I live in the desert. We talked some numbers and told him that we will be back in about two weeks.

I think that with this test drive I knew the TSX was for me. Now I come upon this question. Should I get the 05, or just stay with the 04? I really really want XM radio. That is the only reason why I would be getting an 05. Do I think I could live without XM. Of course! Although it would be a very nice feature. One of the reasons why I drove the TL was because of XM and bluetooth.

I want to hear other peoples opinions...
Old 08-27-2004, 01:17 AM
Mr. Karma

This might not be EXACTLY what you're looking for, but click here. It has a lot of good TSX vs. TL info, because I asked the very same question.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I question the 36,000$ price, especially without navi. Look here for invoice: http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12877
Old 08-27-2004, 03:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sauceman
I question the 36,000$ price, especially without navi. Look here for invoice: http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12877
I know. I looked at the sticker and I swear it said Mark-up 23?? something like that it the 2 g's or 3 maybe.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:53 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Don't tell me - this is a gift car? For getting your license?
At such a young age, your taste will change with the wind - even if your parents are throwing the money at you - get a sensible used car, learn how to drive without a "copilot" and use the next year to test drive various models without some idiot salesman (nor parents) in the car with you. You'll appreciate the TSX more at the end of that year.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:03 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
word of advice... if you're just getting your license, imo, if you don't have much experience, you should look into a used car.

i am just saying this b/c of real world experience where friends who purchased a new saab and bmw, and managed to get into accidents within the first 8 months of ownership.

on the other hand, a '05 is definitely what you want, and it has all the features you listed in your post...
Old 08-27-2004, 04:24 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by biker
Don't tell me - this is a gift car? For getting your license?
At such a young age, your taste will change with the wind - even if your parents are throwing the money at you - get a sensible used car, learn how to drive without a "copilot" and use the next year to test drive various models without some idiot salesman (nor parents) in the car with you. You'll appreciate the TSX more at the end of that year.
Right after I put that post on there I knew something like this was going to happen. My parents a very long time ago stressed that they will not buy me a car. They told me that I will not be able to get a license until I have enough money to buy one.

I am 19 and I have enough money to by myself a car. I have been waiting 16 years to do, and I think this is the right car for me.

I started working when I was 15 and have saved up all my money. I dont want to go on writing my sobbing story, but I dont blame you guys. I know the feeling of seeing someone getting brand new car in high school. It made me fucking pissed. Its ok now. I'm doing it show off, I just think this car gives you "a lot of bang for the buck".
Old 08-27-2004, 04:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You're right about the bang for the buck, and I think it's not about you having such a nice car so young and early. It's more that with your driving inexperience, you are at risk of making a mistake (been there) and damaging your TSX, and then you'll be sorry it wasn't a beater that you would have considered a little more as an expendible than the TSX.

No jealousy or snootiness, just laid-back advice, that's all.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sauceman
You're right about the bang for the buck, and I think it's not about you having such a nice car so young and early. It's more that with your driving inexperience, you are at risk of making a mistake (been there) and damaging your TSX, and then you'll be sorry it wasn't a beater that you would have considered a little more as an expendible than the TSX.

No jealousy or snootiness, just laid-back advice, that's all.

Buy a used car and drive it for a year then decide on what you want to get. Plus, in one years time, the 2005 model will be going out and you should be able to get a 2005 for a good price. Also think about how much your insurance will cost you, being a new driver. Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:33 AM
Niner Faithful

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by smgfan
Right after I put that post on there I knew something like this was going to happen. My parents a very long time ago stressed that they will not buy me a car. They told me that I will not be able to get a license until I have enough money to buy one.

I am 19 and I have enough money to by myself a car. I have been waiting 16 years to do, and I think this is the right car for me.

I started working when I was 15 and have saved up all my money. I dont want to go on writing my sobbing story, but I dont blame you guys. I know the feeling of seeing someone getting brand new car in high school. It made me fucking pissed. Its ok now. I'm doing it show off, I just think this car gives you "a lot of bang for the buck".
The world needs more hard working teenagers like yourself and less spoiled ones driving in brand new Hummers & Escalades! But yeah, definitely look into the insurance rates as well....I'm 23 now but i had to pay about...3,000 a year for my integra (liability ONLY) when I was 18. So, good luck dude!
Old 08-27-2004, 08:28 AM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by smgfan

i am two years older than you but i have had my own car since i was 16, but i know where you are coming from i have been busting my ass since i was 14 and now i graduate college next year and i am making pretty good loot along with great grades, so i got myself my reward...

i think the TSX is great for your first car, not too much power to put you into major danger and great handling, good luck with it but just be careful...i know where everyone else is coming from...I have multiple friends that got BMW's, Audi's, and so on as first cars, almost all have been in accidents...people who work hard and got their cars themselves have faired much better, you are more careful...

so good luck again and i definately agree you get more bang for the buck, ask my friend with the fully loaded G35 Coupe (2 small accidents in the first year) when he saw all the features my car has, including the 8 inch navi versus his 6.5 inches... that was just icing on the cake, he felt soo small...lol
Old 08-27-2004, 08:33 AM
Race Director

Yea... I think if you enjoy the car.. get it.. along with the experience i doubt there's anything that can really change your mind at this point. Just drive it safely.. i got my TSX about a year after i got my liscense, and before that i used a maxima gle 96, which was fun, and gave me alot of basis on how to drive (she was absued .. and not on purpose).

I say keep thinking...and do some more research, test drive more cars untill you've found the one right for you.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:09 PM
6 speed yo!

i just sold my integra for my tsx and i just turned 17. i miss my teg a lot!! seems like a lot of people here have had or have integras before their tsx which is funny.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Advanced

let the kid buy the new car... keep that economy rolling....@@!!!!

then, when he raps it around a pole, he'll have to start over...

my first car was a 68 vw bug... and i rapped it around a pole.... good luck!