for all the people who have their windows tinted...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for all the people who have their windows tinted...

do any of you have any problems with your radio reception? some of my AM signals dont come in too well. not a big deal b/c i listen to CDs alot of the time but im just wondering if anyone else has this issue.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Modding newbie

All metalic window film, and some non-metalic, will disrupt some AM radio reception, but who listens to AM anymore? I'm surprised it's still used for public stations. Upgrade to FM, or XM, or HD radio.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by deadlyklappy12887
do any of you have any problems with your radio reception? some of my AM signals dont come in too well. not a big deal b/c i listen to CDs alot of the time but im just wondering if anyone else has this issue.
Take the metal film off the back window, and put non metallic and you will be fine. I had this same problem and once I put nom metallic on the rear window, all was well.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Advanced

I had the option to go with non metalic tint but the guy assured me that there shouldn't be any problems. He also said that if I did have problems he'd make me a good deal on getting the non metalic on there instead.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Instructor

No problems here with tint and AM radio.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:26 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by trebor8915
I had the option to go with non metalic tint but the guy assured me that there shouldn't be any problems. He also said that if I did have problems he'd make me a good deal on getting the non metalic on there instead.
Dude, the deal should be "free"...he promised and failed to deliver, fix is on him!
Old 08-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Advanced

Yeah that's what I was going to argue. I've had to go back 3 times now because they keep messing up the molskin. The glue doesn't stick so the skin peels off in a way and puts glue streaks on the tint if that makes sense. Hoping to get the whole thing redone next summer. A word to the OP... get molskin just make sure they install it correctly. - very adhesive glue made for the job.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:40 PM

I'm at three years with Huber Optic Ceramic and no moleskin...not a scratch yet.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Instructor

did he say AM
Old 08-28-2009, 11:28 PM
East Coast Crew

Originally Posted by DuckDodgers
I'm at three years with Huber Optic Ceramic and no moleskin...not a scratch yet.
I have the same tint and I can say it's one of the best, but one of them scratched on me. Got it replaced for free. The moleskin keeps coming off for mine.....
Old 08-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by arshu78
did he say AM
yea i said AM haha. i only listen to 2 AM stations on occasion, one for news talk radio and the other for sports. XM is okay maybe if i searched all the channels for an hour id find more than the 6 i like. whenever i listen to XM sporting events for example, it seems they always broadcast from the visitors comentators and not my hometeam announcers so thats why i stick with AM for football games, although XM is nice for college football with the Big 10 channels. but 85% of the time im listening to CDs that i make.

question: i have noticed some scratches on my tint, nothing serious but like any other car enthusiast on this website, we notice every little detail about our cars haha. anyways, ive had my tint on for 4 1/2 years. i have 35% which looks good but if i had to do it again i would prolly go 25% like my buddy's. the tint has not faded/turned purple and it still looks great. so heres my questions:

1) where do the scratches come from? is it somethign with the door panels and the window going up and down? i dont let them clean my windows at the car wash b/c rubbing some crappy towel would deff sratch the tint.

2) if i wanted to get mine retinted darker and to get rid of scratches, what would be the best option? i remember calling the place that put the tint on and they said it would be expensive to take the existing tint off and then have to strip the glue and then re-do everything. i think they said $500? or should i just get new blank windows and tint them?
Old 08-29-2009, 12:44 AM
Modding newbie

500 is a rip off. It should be the cost of the new tint, plus 30 bucks to rip off the old one.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:18 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

1) where do the scratches come from? is it somethign with the door panels and the window going up and down? i dont let them clean my windows at the car wash b/c rubbing some crappy towel would deff sratch the tint.
Inside the door, there is an upper and lower strip (I believe it's hard). Sometimes dirt/debris gets stuck between the strip and the window, so the window gets scratched. Moleskin (a strip of felt) is placed on the strips to prevent scratches.

2) if i wanted to get mine retinted darker and to get rid of scratches, what would be the best option? i remember calling the place that put the tint on and they said it would be expensive to take the existing tint off and then have to strip the glue and then re-do everything. i think they said $500? or should i just get new blank windows and tint them?
$500 is the price of ceramic tint all around the car, plus moleskin on all 4 doors. It's not necessary to get ceramic on all of the windows...you can get away with only doing it on the rear windshield so that it doesn't affect your radio. You can then use a cheaper tint for the door windows.

Personally, I didn't mind spending the $500 to put ceramic tint all around my car. My car doesn't get that hot here in the southern california weather.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Cruisin'

question: i have noticed some scratches on my tint, nothing serious but like any other car enthusiast on this website, we notice every little detail about our cars haha. anyways, ive had my tint on for 4 1/2 years. i have 35% which looks good but if i had to do it again i would prolly go 25% like my buddy's. the tint has not faded/turned purple and it still looks great. so heres my questions:

Was felt included on the installation? As for your AM station, your tint should have warranty, it should be changed for free.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:02 PM

In a high solar gain area, ceramic all around is wonderful. I didn't believe it at first, but after driving back to back my TSX (Huber ceramic) and my wife's Honda (good metallic tint), the difference in heat transmitted through the tint is noticable! It is well worth the cost here in Texas.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by DuckDodgers
Same here and no problems with AM or GPS reception. Yeah it cost more but its been the best tint I've ever had and it get damn hot here in Southern TX.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got limo tint and have no reception problems.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:36 AM
Advanced

yea i said AM haha. i only listen to 2 AM stations on occasion, one for news talk radio and the other for sports. XM is okay maybe if i searched all the channels for an hour id find more than the 6 i like. whenever i listen to XM sporting events for example, it seems they always broadcast from the visitors comentators and not my hometeam announcers so thats why i stick with AM for football games, although XM is nice for college football with the Big 10 channels. but 85% of the time im listening to CDs that i make.

I'm your buddy hahaha Go to Gordy Graybills in Massillon, they did mine however my windows scratched and they took my doors apart and sprayed some lubracant on the weather stripping and that fixed my problem. They will fix it no questions asked if you get it done there.

Horizon will take your tint offf for 325 I think which is OVERkill because thats how much it was to tint my car. I'd call up gordy graybills and ask them. The lady there does like three to four cars a day and she is a pro cutter, does an amazing job, little or no bubbles.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
have had no reception issues with my tint, but I also listen to my ipod 99% of the time
Old 09-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Instructor

ok so I decided I'm going to have my windows retinted from 35% to 20%. i was quoted $350 which i think is fair considering they have to take off the old tint/glue and then put the new tint on. my question for you guys is this: if they dont do a good job at taking the old glue off, will that make my new tints look bad, like not a correct shade? do i have anything to worry about? thanks.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Intermediate

you shouldn't have reception problems with the tint.. if you think about it the tint is on the inside of the window. its not coming between the antenna and the outside world.

i have had 35% tint on mine, its 3M stuff that has a lifetime warranty. I paid 220 to have it installed. Great deal if you ask me
Old 09-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Advanced

Wolfy: Mine's 3M as well and honestly I don't like it.I've had horrible problems with the tint scratching and the molskin leaving residue. How long have you had yours and have you had any problems?
Old 09-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Advanced

Kalppy: I've never heard of people having that problem where the old glue doesn't come off clean. I've had tint redone 3 times on two windows in the past few months (scratches and molskin glue residue) and never had that problem. If you think it looks weird just take it back. Lifetime warranty I assume.