After 4 Months of Ownership...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Pimpin Ain't Easy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After 4 Months of Ownership...

Well, here we are 4 months later with almost 9,000 miles. I have put on the A-spec suspension and even some nice 18 inch SSR GT2 wheels. I have the lip spoiler. So a little modding for me so far. Not much, but just enough to make my TSX look a little different than 40 year old mom that has one down the street.

This car does everything right. I have had no problems. I get good gas mileage. It has the Acura name on it (which I really wanted a entry level luxury car for work purposes). The interior is amazing on it. I always get compliments about the interior. Everyone even likes the exterior looks. I have had people compliment me on my TL. Of course, I say "oh no, its a TSX."

So why am I writing this post. Well, after 4 months of ownership I really can't find a reason not to like this car, except for a couple things.

My TSX, is flat out boring to drive. Even with the upgraded suspension and whipping around turns faster than I should, with no torque the car just feels lifeless. Coming from a 01 Jetta 1.8t (completely modded) and a 99 V-6 Accord Coupe, I feel completely let down. I mean I actually enjoyed driving the Accord more. I know our cars are not slow, but they feel so slow. To really get my Auto to go you must have it in the SS mode. I've taken the VSA off and turned off the A/C just to see if the car gets any better in its performance with only slightly better results.

Im not posting this to piss anyone off. I know Im going to get flamed because so many of you love the TSX. However, there has to be people out there that feel the same way. Is anyone considering selling their car like I am? Discuss...
Old 10-15-2005, 02:03 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I am loving my TSX since the day I got it. I have a 6MT however and I would never drive an Auto unless it was an SUV. Why settle for an auto on a sports sedan?
Old 10-15-2005, 02:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
should have got a manual
Old 10-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tnl_tsx
should have got a manual
I agree, manual is the way to go in the TSX.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I test drove the auto tsx. Its not bad for a daily comute with a quiet slow relaxed drive. The Sport shift mode is un-inspiring, I couldnt get it right. It feels like its not even shifting...basically still feels auto. Hard to explain.

I hear the manual version is fun. Go test drive the 06 Manual. It has 15 more hp and with a manual it should be fun for u.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:54 PM
Pimpin Ain't Easy

Well, with work I really shouldn't be driving a manual. Thus, why I got the Auto.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ontilt
Well, with work I really shouldn't be driving a manual. Thus, why I got the Auto.
Since you can't change what transmission you picked, I wouldn't worry about it. Just work with what you have.

I would start off by getting an intake. That alone will make the car more fun to drive. Try an Injen. The sound of the Injen at Vtec is intoxicating.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Trade it straight up for a Altima SE 3.5 auto and all your power concerns are over. You might have to settle for a non leather no sunroof one if you trade straight up.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:18 PM
6MT & LSD

Coming from a 01 Jetta 1.8t (completely modded) and a 99 V-6 Accord Coupe, I feel completely let down. I mean I actually enjoyed driving the Accord more. I know our cars are not slow, but they feel so slow. To really get my Auto to go you must have it in the SS mode. I've taken the VSA off and turned off the A/C just to see if the car gets any better in its performance with only slightly better results.
Never had a N/A 4 banger before? If you keep the revs up, you should have adequate power...

Try getting a few bolt ons and see how it works out.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:02 PM
tsxy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ontilt, I think what you are feeling is very normal. I am completely infatuated with my TSX but sometimes I wonder if I should have bought a little sports car, like S2000, rx-8, etc... but then I remember that it snows in Chicago and I made a good decision

But on a serious note sometimes I wish I had a little two seater too, im only 23, I will probably have one more car before I have kids.... I figure I will get that little sports car as my next one
Old 10-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Racer

Don't feel bad Ontilt...I have had my car since July and feel a lot of the same things you feel. IMO...and this is certainly just my opinion as to not piss anyone else off...for every pro with the TSX there is a con...or two.

I love the styling and the features the car has. The Acura name and dependability are fantastic. Cost of ownership is low and it's good on gas. There is not one doubt in my mind that when I get in the car it is going to get me and any of my passangers to our destination in some type of style and luxury. The safety features are good and all the airbags are a comfort in case of a crash.

However, on the other hand. I think that the car is underpowered, the brakes are stodgy, the OEM tires are rubbish that should come standard on a Chevy Cobalt. There is no 'WOW FACTOR' when I drive my TSX. Will it get you from Point A to Point B with little problems, yes, but will you get there with a gigantic grin on your face from ear to ear? NO. I haven't been able to drive a 6-MT seeing as how my car is a 5-AT due to my driving for work, but from what I have experienced on my own car and again IMO, Acura made a safe car, a practical car and a good looking car. They just didn't make a FUN CAR.

And isn't fun the real reason we all enjoy driving in the first place? Who doesn't want to find an open stretch of road and just let their problems glide out of the factory installed sunroof? Did I drive the S2000...yes...too small for work esp. in the winter. Did I drive the C-Class...yes...the sport was great but the 4-matic was a dog...and again that old thing about driving in the winter for work. So I ended up with the TSX.

Yes, the TSX. The cute, personable girl that you take home to meet the folks. Not the wild, party girl that you will tell your buddies about the next morning.

Old 10-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Advanced

Ontilt-

Let's see some pics of your car.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Onlit I'm board of my accord now....*reason for intrest in tsx*

200hp V6!! Power isn't everything. The reason its boring for me is because its auto. I can fall asleep at the wheel! haha.

I dont think an auto can be fun unless its SL55 AMG...(top down + huge power) then auto can be fun? nay?
Old 10-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Banned

it's funny how I get the same response with the s2000 on the s2000 board. People complained about the lack of torque on the s2000. Face it, the tsx and the s2000 were not made for racing. Take them to the twisties and that's where they shine. Straight off the line and you'll be disappointed. Why would everyone expect these cars to perform like a corvette or an M3?
Old 10-15-2005, 08:45 PM
TSX

Originally Posted by Twisteds2k
it's funny how I get the same response with the s2000 on the s2000 board. People complained about the lack of torque on the s2000. Face it, the tsx and the s2000 were not made for racing. Take them to the twisties and that's where they shine. Straight off the line and you'll be disappointed. Why would everyone expect these cars to perform like a corvette or an M3?

Old 10-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Are you using sportshift mode

I don't have any complaints with 90% sportshift, getting 25-26 mpg.

I don't think the CAI helped torque much but header did. You might
try header first, I don't have experience with header alone since I did cai first.
I did have to take the header off for warranty repair ( weld ) and confirmed
torque is much better than stock.

To pick up some torque, switch to amsoil series 2000 5-30.
For $25 a generic ebay ground wire system doesn't hurt.

I do have a long term complaint with DC header. With less flex, its transmitting
more vibration into the system and I'm getting some buzzing from the
cat sheilds.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:19 PM
The Designer

In this situation to get what you want you need 2 cars. You need an everyday driver that will get you through winter, can pack some kids if needbee, pick up some groceries and go on vacation with. Then you need a car for the weekends to have fun with. With all the crap that happens in a typical person's life it is tough to get just a small sporty car and have it be your only option. I think auto can be fun, but I just hate doing uncessary work. If the manual really gains you nothing then what is the point really.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:28 PM
Advanced

Mini

I just trading in my Mini Cooper for the TSX about 1 month ago.

As you know, there are Amerian Cars, Asian, Europe (German mainly).

All have a different style of driving.

By you compared a German Jetta (German cars are known for the fun factor), to an Asian car (known for dependability).

There is a major difference. I feel it. I miss my Mini ALOT. I miss taking corners at 42 MPH and so on. But I don't miss the visits to the shop.

It's a problem. Dependability vs Fun. So all my research showed that the TSX is about as close to German fun as you can get with dependability. I'll live with it. I put on the comdey channel on XM and try to enjoy my ride. Nothing to prove anymore.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:46 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,538 Posts
I think you should do no more mods right now except. Injen intake, dc header, random tech cat, and handata. then you will have more power and if you do the intstall yourself you should be able to do it all for under 1500.

Intake at most 250
header like 300
cat 300
handata 600
total 1450
Old 10-16-2005, 12:57 AM
SI Drive

Ontilt, I'm with you on the same boat. I love my TSX to death, esp with all the mods that I've put into it (Volks, CAI, DC Header, Comptech RSB, coilovers) but at the end of the day, the 5AT just doesn't have that "fun" factor that you're looking for. Sure it's a damn dependable car, but it feels as if there is something lacking.

That's why I'm going to change my car in about a years time. I've come from driving V6 cars and have a little bit of a hard time trying to get used to driving this 4-cyl car. Don't get me wrong, I love reving the car, but at times, I wish that it would have a little more "oomph" from 0 to 3000 RPMs. Sometimes (even with the CAI) when I mash the pedal in, it feels like that car doesn't start moving until after ~3200 RPM.

So don't feel bad nor feel like you're upsetting people. You're entitled to your own opinion as everyone else on this board is too. Heck, you see that even some people (like myself) agree with you.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Pro

I have plenty of fun and still get a grin in my *gasp* completely stock 5AT (except for those OEM tires which I considered unsafe and replaced at 2k miles with Yoko Avid V4s). To each their own.

Sounds like you guys bought the wrong car. At least you'll know better next time.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Instructor

The day I bought the TSX I drove back to back

9-3, A-4, g-35, 325. TSX wins the overall package hands down.

The sportshift mode is instantaneous, faster shift than MT.
As opposed to g35 where you wait for lag and hesitation.

Kick it down one gear when you want, above 2500 rpm your in
the peak torque band.

In sportshift I probably shift less than the program because I use
the whole rpm range, better long term. I only pick up 1 mpg staying
in drive, i'm not abusing the car using the whole rpm range.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:31 PM
TSX4EVR

I guess everything is relative.

I don't have four months of TSX driving, just seven or eight test drives, but I took one again today as I await my 06 and it to me had lots of power. It was a MT (I'm getting the AT) and it had lots of power. When I stepped on the gas it reacted immediately and would push me back into the seat.

I just loved the ride and can't wait. I got to play a little more with the controls which just made me like it all the more.

I won't find the TSX boring. Maybe it is because I haven't driven too many exciting cars in the past, all I know is I love it.

(After the test drive under the pretext of wanting to try the MT again, my salesman said to me "It's hard waiting isn't it"

Excited
Old 10-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Pimpin Ain't Easy

Thanks, for the replies everyone.

For those of you who say I should mod it, well that is just not in the cards for me. I modded the crap out of my Jetta and vowed to myself that I would never do that again.

Some of you say the car has enough power for you and I will agree that 200 hp should be enough. However, I believe its just the way that Honda/Acura engines are designed that make it feel not as fast and not as fun to drive.

Oh and for the guy who said get the Altima 3.5 as a straight up trade with no leather and whatnot... I could have got a SE-R for less new than the TSX, which is the car I almost bought.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Thanks, for the replies everyone.

For those of you who say I should mod it, well that is just not in the cards for me. I modded the crap out of my Jetta and vowed to myself that I would never do that again.

Some of you say the car has enough power for you and I will agree that 200 hp should be enough. However, I believe its just the way that Honda/Acura engines are designed that make it feel not as fast and not as fun to drive.

Oh and for the guy who said get the Altima 3.5 as a straight up trade with no leather and whatnot... I could have got a SE-R for less new than the TSX, which is the car I almost bought.
Why no mods? If you're afraid of something bad, just get Hondata. It's a simple upgrade that I've never heard anyone on this board regret getting.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Pimpin Ain't Easy

Originally Posted by youngTL
Why no mods? If you're afraid of something bad, just get Hondata. It's a simple upgrade that I've never heard anyone on this board regret getting.
I can't. I have an 05.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Instructor

You get used to whatever power your car has.

my Previous cars had 85,105,&127HP respectively

so 200HP TSX feels pretty fast to me (for now)

More Power = More Gas/Weight/Cost.

You can make the tires squeal from a stop, and the top speed is like140MPH or something ... so How much do you want to spend to shave 1 or 2 seconds of a 0-60 time.

Might save you a couple minutes in the next few years.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Race Director

Why didn't you get the TL then Michael Knight?
Old 10-16-2005, 08:43 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
I can't. I have an 05.
Oh dang.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My car feels slow also. I got a 220hp but only 192 tq at 5000rmp.

The next car I get will have hugh torque from down low such as a S40 Turbo. I test drove one and damm its got balls to fly down low and no lag. Not expensive either 30 t0 32k. Plus It feels faster than a TL.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Pimpin Ain't Easy

Originally Posted by crfortin
You get used to whatever power your car has.

my Previous cars had 85,105,&127HP respectively

so 200HP TSX feels pretty fast to me (for now)

More Power = More Gas/Weight/Cost.

You can make the tires squeal from a stop, and the top speed is like140MPH or something ... so How much do you want to spend to shave 1 or 2 seconds of a 0-60 time.

Might save you a couple minutes in the next few years.
Ok, I never said the car didn't have enough power, it is the way the power is delievered. This makes the car not feel as fun as it should. That is what I said earlier. The 200hp should be enough for a sports sedan.

The reason I didn't get a TL was because it was about $5500 more than the TSX (the one with Navi). Which at the time was more than I wanted to spend. Looking back at it now the TL was probably what I should have got.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Pro

No... it sounds like you want a turbo or an american muscle car. The TL delivers power similar to the TSX - only more of it, which is pretty linear. When test driving, I always came away sedated from the TL and inspired by the TSX.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

You need power? just downshift it and keep it above 4000rpm. And that is the fun of this car, high rev power not stop light racer. I dunno why someone will consider it is fun just by flooring the gas pedal and go fast!