Advice about dealership f-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice about dealership f-up

Here’s the story: dropped the car off at the dealer on Monday for them to do the standard 60,000 mile service on Tuesday because it’s a 3 hour service I guess. They gave me a ’04 TL as a loaner (that’s for a different thread though).

So I get a call on Wednesday afternoon that the car is done, but one of the service techs put a scratch in the left front bumper getting it out of the garage. They said that they we’re going to take the car to their body shop guy that day to get repainted, but it wouldn’t be done until today because of drying and all.

I’m a pretty reasonable guy so I agreed and that was that.

Well, because of the amount of highway driving I do, I have a few stone chips in the front hood, bumper, and side mirrors. Well, I figured that because I was in essence getting a new front bumper paint wise it would be a good idea to call the body shop they took it to see how much it would be to paint the hood and mirrors. I’ve been thinking about getting a clear bra…seemed like a good time to do it right?

Well, they quoted me $500 for the hood, which is ballpark I guess, but a bit high and $100 for each mirror. In my conversation with the guy, I got out of him that they weren’t doing a full repaint of the bumper, only sanding and touching up the scratch that the dealership made. This got me pretty torqued. $350 to paint the bumper at my cost bye the way…no idea what the dealership is paying.

With the other scratch I had fixed not too long ago, I know that they only way to really fix a deep scratch properly is to sand down and repaint the whole panel to blend it right?

I go to the dealership to get the car about an hour ago. Turns out that it’s not done…will be done in the morning. Catch this…this broke one of my Hoen fog light bulbs putting the bumper back on! The guy at the dealership said it took them a while to find a matching bulb. We all know that you have to get these bulbs from the manufacturer…and they ain’t cheap like the Pep Boys specials they are putting on! They cost me about $50 for the pair after shipping!

So I walked out, knowing that if I opened my big military mouth I would say something that would bite me in the butt later. How should I handle this? I need good advice here that will get me what I want. I don’t want to take advantage of the situation….I just want my car back the way I left it!

Thanks guys/gals!
Old 03-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Be reasonable and present the options to them:

1. They damaged the bulb and should cover the cost of the replacement, no questions asked. They also should not replace it with a cheap bulb, but an exact matching bulb from the manufacturer because that's what was in there before.
2. They should not charge you for work done to any damaged part.

If they refuse to be reasonable about this, then inform them that you will be filing a full complaint with Acura regional service and that you will seek additional action to ensure you are fully compensated for the problems.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

I'm more worried about getting the bumper painted properly than the bulb. The bulb is just fuel to the fire for me.

Thanks though!
Old 03-02-2005, 05:51 PM
such a dirty birdy

I had a partial repaint on the front bumper to fix some deep scratches (cuts) in the bumper. The shop I used did a good job; it's impossible to tell where the repair was done. Mine is IBP (blurple) which is probably harder to blend than the black. I wouldn't worry about the partial vs full repaint, but definitely get a guarantee that the repair won't be visible.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned

wow you still in teh fleet ? live pretty far from the base then huh ?

Anyway so they are to replace the *exact* bulb right - that's a given.
so you're pissed they are not paying for a full-repaint...

well it all depends on the degree of damage - you want fairness ? I'd take it to your insurance agent and let him be the judge if a full-repaint is fair for the damage.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by SSN_FT1(SS/DV)
I'm more worried about getting the bumper painted properly than the bulb. The bulb is just fuel to the fire for me.

Thanks though!
If the shop is good, the bumper shouldn't be a problem. My mom's TL had to have the entire right side of the car, including the hood, roof panel, and trunklid repainted and it looked great afterwards so it can be done.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:22 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I think that after you examine it you should call the service manager and ask him to explain why you shouldn't call Acura USA and complain about this, thus shooting down his CSI (customer service index) and sinking his bonus for the month.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

I guess I'll make an on the spot judgement and make the call from there....seems to make the most sense.....thanks guys!
Old 03-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by matelot
wow you still in teh fleet ? live pretty far from the base then huh ?
Yeah, I'm on shoreduty at Subase New London....63 miles one way...hense the 60,000 mile service Already done with my sea tour and I plan on getting out after this one. Nothing wrong with the Navy, just ready to move on.

You in the Navy?