Old 12-15-2005, 02:46 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Acura Unveils iPod Music Link Accessory

For anyone who wasn't aware of the iPod accessory on the `06 Model TSX

Acura Press Release
Acura Unveils iPod Music Link Accessory

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. 09/07/2005 --

Acura today unveiled the Acura Music Link iPod(R) adaptor, which allows seamless integration between iPod and Acura audio systems. The new accessory developed by Acura enables drivers to listen to their iPod in digital sound directly through the audio system in the 2006 Acura RL, TL and TSX sedans and MDX SUV. Acura Music Link allows drivers to select their music by artist, album, genre and play list through the standard controls on the audio system head unit. Additionally, the Acura Music Link adaptor will be the first to include text-to-speech capabilities or VoiceID, when searching through the iPod music library with the audio system controls.

"We are very excited to partner with Apple and offer the Music Link accessory to our Acura customers," said Stony Furutani, manager of Acura accessory marketing. "Acura vehicles are equipped with the latest audio technology and we are pleased to expand the audio experience to iPod users."

"We're thrilled to team up with Acura, to provide drivers with a seamless iPod experience," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of iPod product marketing. "Car companies are embracing the iPod, and over 30% of the cars sold in the US in 2006 will offer iPod integration."

The Acura Music Link adaptor provides outstanding sound quality while charging the iPod battery at the same time by a cable conveniently located in the glove compartment. The adaptor will be available starting in mid-December exclusively for purchase and installation at Acura dealers. Suggested retail pricing for the Acura Music Link will be approximately $250 plus dealer installation charge. Acura Music Link is backed by a full Acura factory warranty. Consumers should check with Acura dealers for specific restrictions.

iPod's are available in the U.S. through the Apple Store(R) at www.apple.com and at selected retail outlets.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Advanced

I want one for my 2005 TSX!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2005, 07:57 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Still not on the Apple website
Old 12-15-2005, 08:20 AM
Canuck

Looks like not for pre 2005 cause of the voice commands.

But wait, there hope. Us with NAVI's might be bale to use it since we have the equipment for the voice commands.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:01 AM
Advanced

I could live w/o voice commands if they could just hook it up to my 2005 w/Navi. I still haven't been able to find a good method of hooking up my iPod that doesn't include either 1) losing XM, 2) losing Navi, or 3) getting an advanced EE degree to rewire my entire system. All the aftermarket stuff seems unreliable and the only thing that seems to work is using an FM transmitter (which sounds like crap).

I'd pay good money to be able to hook up my ipod, keep XM & Navi, and use my car's controls to select songs (and see names on my navi display). I just don't have the time or skills to be able to do this myself.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:02 AM
taf
Advanced

Guys, there seems to be a misconception about this accessory. No where does it say that it will accept voice commands. It says text-to-speech which means the accessory will speak your song titles and so forth. This is integrated into the accessory itself. It requires no extra hardware. I also don't see why it couldn't be retrofitted to older models as it seems to replicate a CD changer to the headunit. I don't believe there is anything special about the 06 headunits. I could be wrong on this, but this is what I gather from reading the press release and looking at the installation instructions.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Instructor

I'm getting a 2005 TSX w/ Navi in a few days, any hope I'll be able to install this in my car?
Old 12-15-2005, 09:51 AM
8th Gear

Has anybody talked to their dealer about this option? I thought at one point I had heard it was going to be available in December. I was wondering if anybody knew what the install charge was or had even already had it installed? I picked up an '06 and would love to get this for my IPod.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:56 AM
My Garage

Originally Posted by taf
Guys, there seems to be a misconception about this accessory. No where does it say that it will accept voice commands. It says text-to-speech which means the accessory will speak your song titles and so forth. This is integrated into the accessory itself. It requires no extra hardware. I also don't see why it couldn't be retrofitted to older models as it seems to replicate a CD changer to the headunit. I don't believe there is anything special about the 06 headunits. I could be wrong on this, but this is what I gather from reading the press release and looking at the installation instructions.
I think your over-analyzing this. The voice ID most likely means that you will be able to use voice commands to search for music and perform Ipod functions.

SAN FRANCISCO—September 7, 2005—Apple® today announced it has teamed up with Acura, Audi, Honda and Volkswagen to deliver iPod® integration with their car stereos for 2006 model lines. Seamless integration of iPods in cars allows music lovers to enjoy high-quality sound through their car’s stereo system, easily access their entire music library and take their music with them everywhere they go. There are now 15 car companies around the world offering iPod integration, and more than 5 million cars will ship with iPod support in the US in 2006.

“We’re thrilled to team up with Acura, Audi, Honda and Volkswagen to provide drivers with a seamless iPod experience,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. “Car companies are embracing the iPod, and over 30 percent of the cars sold in the US in 2006 will offer iPod integration."

The Honda and Acura Music Link iPod integrations will be the first to include text-to-speech capabilities or VoiceID, which is used to search for playlists, artist and album names or genre information. Acura and Honda will feature iPod integration in the majority of their lineup beginning later this year.

Beginning in November, Audi will feature iPod integration in the A3, A4 and TT models and Volkswagen will offer iPod integration for the majority of their 2006 US lineup.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:10 AM
6MT or Death

No over analyzing was done.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_n15352875

The most important part. "Honda and Acura plan to support iPod integration with synthesized audio voice feedback via a recently-released Music Link adaptor. The new adaptor will connect the iPod to existing audio systems in a number of vehicle models, according to a press release from American Honda Motor Co.

A text-to-speech feedback function will read out information about individual tracks or audio controls, compensating for the fact that there is no actual text on the audio screen, Honda spokesperson Jessica Fini told Ziff Davis Internet News."
Old 12-15-2005, 11:47 AM
My Garage

^ That didn't really prove it either way

guess we will have to wait and see
Old 12-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts

https://acurazine.com/forums/acura-news-press-33/acura-unveils-ipod-music-link-accessory-325453/
Old 12-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Got Ramen?

got me all excited for a sec... only to find this is a repost... =.=
Old 12-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Banned

you are 3 months behind
Old 12-15-2005, 02:22 PM
vt alumni

I called Pohanka about two weeks ago to see if they could install it on my 2005 non-navi but they said they wouldnt be able to install it if it wasnt originally there. Guy just told me to go to an aftermarket shop and hung up (convo lasted all of 30 seconds)
Old 12-15-2005, 02:25 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
^ That didn't really prove it either way

guess we will have to wait and see
"A text-to-speech feedback function will read out information about individual tracks or audio controls, compensating for the fact that there is no actual text on the audio screen"

How does that not prove it? I know I'm a moron for assuming this, but I'd bet if the IPOD could be voice driven by the user they might have included that in the description. It'd be a minor selling point, but an important one.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:49 PM
taf
Advanced

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
"A text-to-speech feedback function will read out information about individual tracks or audio controls, compensating for the fact that there is no actual text on the audio screen"

How does that not prove it? I know I'm a moron for assuming this, but I'd bet if the IPOD could be voice driven by the user they might have included that in the description. It'd be a minor selling point, but an important one.
That's exactly right. It would say "Search for songs by voice recognition" if you could actually do that. If the device did support voice recongition it would have to be pretty powerful and no doubt cost a lot more. Just think about it, our NAVI's have roughly 1000 voice commands which are preprogramed. An ipod adapter with voice recognition could not be preprogrammed with specific statements like our NAVI's. It would have to convert your speech into text and match that text with a song. There are some pretty expensive computer programs that convert text into speech, but I seriously doubt it is practical to include all of that computing power on an IPOD adapter at this point. I'm sure it will happen in the future, but we're not quite there yet.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Got Ramen?

Originally Posted by taf
That's exactly right. It would say "Search for songs by voice recognition" if you could actually do that. If the device did support voice recongition it would have to be pretty powerful and no doubt cost a lot more. Just think about it, our NAVI's have roughly 1000 voice commands which are preprogramed. An ipod adapter with voice recognition could not be preprogrammed with specific statements like our NAVI's. It would have to convert your speech into text and match that text with a song. There are some pretty expensive computer programs that convert text into speech, but I seriously doubt it is practical to include all of that computing power on an IPOD adapter at this point. I'm sure it will happen in the future, but we're not quite there yet.

you say: "play iPod Playlist 2, track 3"
car will say: "now playing... playlist 2, track 3."

you say: "shuffle songs"
car will say: "now playing... shuffle mode"

^ guys... im sure this is what Acura/Apple means by "text-to-speech" feedback.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:10 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe

It doesn't prove it because you're only talking about the text-to-speech function.

Go back and read what it says about "VoiceID's" my post again. I bolded it for you.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:51 PM
sun
10th Gear

Are there any sponsors that carry this? I'd like to order it at a discounted OEM dealer if anyone knows if they have it in stock.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:14 PM
taf
Advanced

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
It doesn't prove it because you're only talking about the text-to-speech function.

"VoiceID's" my post again. I bolded it for you.

The Honda and Acura Music Link iPod integrations will be the first to include text-to-speech capabilities or VoiceID, which is used to search for playlists, artist and album names or genre information.
VoiceID is their term for text-to-speech. It depends on how you read it. They are saying "... the first include text-to-speech capabilities or VoiceID as we call it"

Look, I wish it would work the way you are saying, but I don't believe it will.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by taf
VoiceID is their term for text-to-speech. It depends on how you read it. They are saying "... the first include text-to-speech capabilities or VoiceID as we call it"

Look, I wish it would work the way you are saying, but I don't believe it will.
After re-reading it a couple times, I think you are right taf. Voice control would be so slick though. Dang and here I was telling all my friends that I would be able to talk to my Ipod.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by smite
Dang and here I was telling all my friends that I would be able to talk to my Ipod.
Nobody's saying you can't talk to it. People will just think you're
Old 12-15-2005, 06:02 PM
My Garage

You could be right Taff, all i'm saying is we don't know for sure yet.

I am also going on what said in the original post:

"This will allow drivers, or passengers the ability to search for playlists, artist and album names, or genre using only their voice, thus keeping their hands on the wheel, and eyes on the road."

https://acurazine.com/forums/acurazine-articles-2/acura-apple-announce-new-relationship-318236/
Old 12-15-2005, 07:47 PM
TSX4EVR

The big question is when will it be available? I will be getting it.

Any of the forum's dealers have any suggestions on when it will be available?

Excited
Old 12-16-2005, 12:37 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by excited
The big question is when will it be available? I will be getting it.

Any of the forum's dealers have any suggestions on when it will be available?

Excited

Based on what Vandergriff Acura Dealer here in Arlington, Texas stated to me, is that it should be released in January, instead of Mid-December. He also stated that you would be able to control the iPod from the Navi system & voice response. But remember, sometimes the grapevine is not always accurate; however we are hoping so.

I just purchased the '06 Acura TSX w/Navi and it has the MP3/Aux connection; So I am greatful, even though it still will be another type of device they will use to attach for the Navi control and voice response, which will be in the price range of $250 or more.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Racer

I just spoke to my dealer inquiring about these kits. He also sent me the installation instructions for the kit so I can take a look myself. PM me and I can e-mail them to you. Here's the deal. It will work with voice activation, the steering wheel and will show song titles. It is made for the '06, but WILL work on '05s. However, Acura has sent a memo to all their dealers that though it will work with the '05, it will also void the warranty for the stereo. So, install at your own risk. After you install the hardware, you flash the firmware of the stereo by feeding it a CD that comes with the install hardware. The iPod hookup will be stowed in the glove compartment. PM me for Acura install directions.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:16 PM
taf
Advanced

Back to the voice recognition capabilites. My idea is that the adapter will probably emulate a cd changer, so yes voice commands that work for a CD will probably work for the ipod. I just seriously doubt you will be able to say "play U2 Where the Streets Have No Name" and have it find and play the song.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:58 PM
1st Gear

...i know the discussion has centered much more on voice control over the ipod with the Music Link Adaptor, but is anyone concerned that the ability to "[charge] the iPod battery at the same time by a cable conveniently located in the glove compartment" will drain the battery more quickly?...apple store people have advised me against using car chargers continually...i love my ipod, but hate the idea of having to replace my battery cause it'd be getting charged when it doesn't need to...just a thought...
Old 12-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Instructor

Does anyone know which iPod models it will work with?
Old 12-16-2005, 11:25 PM
Instructor

Will it work with the 04's?
Old 12-17-2005, 12:15 AM
5th Gear

Confuding Brochure

Anyone notice in the brochure for the 2006 TSX that the iPod connection is the dock connector and not the auxiliary connector? The cable I have for my iPod has a USB connector on the other end yet there is currentlt no USB female slot anywhere on the car. By looking at the brochure I was led to believe that there was more than just an auxiliary connection that could transfer the content to the car sound system and charge the iPod. The new Acura Music Link iPod adaptor does that but for another $250 + installation. I plan on talking to the dealer about this.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:32 AM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

The 06 TSX has an "aux in" standard inside the center armrest/storage, above the 12V accessory. It's simply an audio in and a 3.5mm stereo jack plugs into it. You can plug in ANY device that outputs sound (e.g., mp3 player, cd player, laptop). The Acura Music Link is an accessory that is installed into the glovebox and accepts iPods. I believe this works with ANY iPod, using the dock connector.
theElio might be able to confirm this with the copy of the installation instructions?
Old 12-17-2005, 03:04 AM
Racer

Swirlie speaketh the truth. I don't have anywhere to host the pdf file but if anyone wants to host it for me, just PM me with your e-mail and I'll send it off.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:46 AM
Yohan

I want it! I want it!. Please update with price and compatibility with 04. I guess 04 and 05 are the same audiocally
Old 12-17-2005, 06:05 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by curik_euro
I want it! I want it!. Please update with price and compatibility with 04. I guess 04 and 05 are the same audiocally
Unfortunately, 04 and 05 are not the same in regards to the audio equipment.. The 05s were changed due to the inclusion of XM radio as standard equipment.

Previous post contained notes that Acura said it might work with 05 models (but doing so would void the radio warranty)..

Anyone with an 04 navi wanna try it and let us know what happens?
Old 12-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Canuck

Originally Posted by sabby
Unfortunately, 04 and 05 are not the same in regards to the audio equipment.. The 05s were changed due to the inclusion of XM radio as standard equipment.

Previous post contained notes that Acura said it might work with 05 models (but doing so would void the radio warranty)..

Anyone with an 04 navi wanna try it and let us know what happens?
Canadian TSX's do not have XM. So does that mean we have a 04 model HU?
Old 12-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Intermediate

iPod (Aux) Input - '04, '05

I'm Canadian, so mine doesn't have XM, but it does have an "Aux" button to the left of the stereo display.

I also have a Starmate Sirius radio that I didn't like hearing through the built in FM modulator...so I started looking into the "Aux" button.

It turns out that there is an input under the Climate Control. To get at it, you need to remove the storage tray above the ashtray. This is a little tricky, but not impossible. Open the door for the tray and gently pull on it. There are 4 clips holding this in...you will feel them release as you pull. Once this is out, use a mirror to see the input...I used my wife's makeup mirror for this. It is a 14-pin plug.

I purchased a connector (Blitz) that plugs into this 14-pin outlet and converts to RCA inputs. You can then get a 3.5mm to RCA adapter anywhere...this is what I used for my Sirius radio and I've also plugged a freind's iPod into it.

Works great and takes about 45 minutes to do.

Good luck!!
Old 12-17-2005, 09:45 PM
2nd Gear

I just bought an 06 TSX. For people who haven't seen the AUX input before it's basically a female mini headphone port in the arm rest. I plugged in some headphones and it kicked my nav system into "AUX" mode...a black screen with "AUX".

Here's what i've learned and maybe some of you can learn from my mistakes.
1) Apple as of late this week didn't have one
2) my Acura dealer and parts department hadn't heard of them and had no idea when they were getting them in even if they heard today
3) the Acura website has nothing
and 4) and most importantly, DON'T GO TO RADIO SHACK. They don't have em, they haven't heard of them, they think you made it up when you tell them what you need...oh, and the same person asked me "can i help you find anything?" TWICE within 2 minutes. Same person, same exact words, like she was on some retail autopilot and couldn't comprehend that I was the same guy she just couldn't help a minute earlier...in the same part of the store.

Without the benefit of this new $250 upgrade or whatever carrot that Acura is dangling in front of us here's what i did to get my iPod to work now.

You need an iPod Dock to mini headphone cable. What i bought was the "Car Audio Cable for iPod by Brighton Japan" and it's a 2-in-1 iPod car charger headphone adapter with 3.5mm headphone jack.

I finally got one and plugged it in yesterday. All it does is play my iPod through the stereo. There is no integration through the navigation system...just the blank "AUX" screen. The sound is great and much better than the iTrip or the other broadcast based systems i've had before...but i'm still scrolling through the iPod in my hand rather than concentrating on the road. Which is not what these articles announcing voice integration are promising. Oh i can control my iPod on the steering wheel...i can make the volume louder or softer. That's it. And the cable that i have does nothing to power up the iPod when it's just connected to the AUX port. The cable does split and has a cigarette lighter charger but i haven't tried that yet. After spending a week running around trying to solve this, did i mention Radio Shack?, i have some unfounded fear that i'm gonna fry my iPod before it's all said and done.

I have my dealer looking into the issue so until then this is all i have to go on. So unless he comes back with info that i have to buy a special Apple/Acura cable...it sounds like it might have to be this $250 upgrade even though i have the latest TSX model. Hope it helps some of you out. I just thought it was important enough to pop my posting cherry over.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:10 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

blo11...
Obviously Radio Shack won't have an Acura Music Link accessory.

As for aux in... for a similar setup (minus the iPod charging and integration), you could have just bought a simple male-male 3.5mm stereo audio cable ($15 CAD from The Source/Radio Shack). Plug one end into your iPod's headphone jack and the other end into the aux in. Done. You get the same features as you have now for much less cost, since Apple stuff is seriously overpriced. The volume you're controlling with the steering wheel controls is the vehicle's stereo volume, not your iPod's.

I've been using my mp3 player like this since I got the car. I finally loaded my CD player today.

If you want to be able to control your iPod (searching songs, etc) with the vehicle controls, you'll NEED to get the Acura Music Link (or something similar like the Blitzsafe).

Quick Reply: Acura Unveils iPod Music Link Accessory