Acura TSX vs. Nissan Altima SE-R

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Pimpin Ain't Easy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TSX vs. Nissan Altima SE-R

Here's the scenario. I have put some money down to reserve a new Acura TSX w/Navi. I really like the car and it is fun to drive. However, today I went and looked at a Altima SE-R and was very impressed with it. We worked out some numbers and the dealership can get me the SE-R for $26,700 before ttl. The TSX is at $27,500, so they are about the same price.
For my job, I need a car that is reliable and gets pretty good gas mileage. With all factors which car would you guys choose??

I know there will be biased towards the TSX, but did anyone actually test drive the SE-R and consider it before they went with the TSX?
Old 06-16-2005, 11:31 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I couldn't imagine having to drive an Altima, the handling and styling do nothing for me. Fast in a straight line though...
Old 06-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto. I find all Nissan (Except g35 coupe) unattractive or even ugly. These are different classes of cars, regardless of whether they have the same price. Compare them on paper and then drive them and THEN decide if it's really such a close decision.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:36 PM
Romic

Exclamation

how can you compare Acura tsx and Altima Se-R?
for driving every day Acura tsx only.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:38 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
When I got my TSX, the Altima SE-R wasn't around.

But here's how I see it. There are plenty of Altima 2.5's out there on the road, many 3.5's, but few SE-R's. There are subtle styling ques to seperate them apart, but overall, they generally look the same. Although the TSX has been out since the mid-2003's, it's still a rare sight when compared to an Altima.

I can't say I test driven the SE-R, but with all that power driving the front wheels, there should be plenty of torque steer.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the Altima SE-R is a really good car. It's VERY roomy and also much quicker than the TSX.

But, gas mileage will be worse than a TSX and it will not be nearly as refined as the TSX. Also, I don't think the SE-R comes w/ nav as an option if that is important to you.

Both cars handle well. But, I think out of the box, the Altima may actually have an edge in handling due to much more aggressive rims/tires and stiff suspension.

In terms of reliability, both cars should be fine.

If you plan on trading the car in after say 3-5 yrs, the TSX will likely have better resale value.

Go for a long test drive in each and see which one you like best.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Cruisin'

Well, I suggest getting the Maxima b/c it is the same price as the Altima SE-R. I think the car is over priced b/c of the SE-R badge.

The TSX is in a class of it's own, I think Lexus came out with the IS250 just to compete with the TSX....
Old 06-16-2005, 11:50 PM
Advanced

Get the Altima if you don't mind your drinks ripping out the cupholders and your pens/coins/pants scratching the heck out of the faux metallic color interior plastics.

Interiors are important to me so I would stick w. the TSX.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:03 AM
TS-SEX

Does the Altima have navi? I have heard only good and great things about the navi in the TSX... kind of makes me sad that I didn't go for the navi but great car none the less...
Old 06-17-2005, 12:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by IllQueens4g4d
Well, I suggest getting the Maxima b/c it is the same price as the Altima SE-R. I think the car is over priced b/c of the SE-R badge.

The TSX is in a class of it's own, I think Lexus came out with the IS250 just to compete with the TSX....
Nah, the Maxima is a boat.
Between Maxima and Altima SE-R, SE-R all the way.
You get a lot of the standard Maxima stuff in the SE-R, plus better handling and nicer wheels.

Tougher call between SE-R and TSX.
If gas mileage and refinement is important, TSX.
If raw speed is your thing, SE-R is the one.

I see you've posted here for more (unbiased) opinions: VWV
Ignore 1sicklex's post as he will flame anything Nissan.

Also check SE-R forums for owner experiences.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ontilt
Here's the scenario. I have put some money down to reserve a new Acura TSX w/Navi. I really like the car and it is fun to drive. However, today I went and looked at a Altima SE-R and was very impressed with it. We worked out some numbers and the dealership can get me the SE-R for $26,700 before ttl. The TSX is at $27,500, so they are about the same price.
For my job, I need a car that is reliable and gets pretty good gas mileage. With all factors which car would you guys choose??

I know there will be biased towards the TSX, but did anyone actually test drive the SE-R and consider it before they went with the TSX?
I owned a Altima SE that was totaled and put me back into the market when I bought my TSX. I did very seriously consider buying another Altima when I bought the TSX. Stock handeling in cornering the Altima has the TSX beat. It also has more HP.

However, the dash on the 2005 Altima and Maximia are just hideous expecially when compared to that of the TSX. (Red instrumentation lights, what the heck was Nissan thinking?).

The navigation system and it's interface are nicer in the TSX. As the last factor I prefered the body style of the TSX over that of the Nissan's as well. The other factor is the lower lumbar support. I can't tell you how much they have improved it from the model I had, but the TSX has much better lumbar support. Expecially when you add the heated seats, makes sitting in LA traffic much easier.

Overall the interior on the TSX is much nicer and the small features just pushed me over the top.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:00 AM
Racer

I had this delima in 2004 deciding between the SE-R and TSX. I made up my mind on the TSX after a couple of months of shopping both. Prices werent a factor on my decision.

Like someone mentioned before there are Altima's everywhere. Nobody can recognize a SE or SE-R from thier base model counterparts. Most people just assume Altima with a few extra options. The SE-R when I looked at it did not offer Navigation.

As far as interior layouts, I prefer the TSX. The guages are more attractive and alive. The Nissan guages are orange and dimmer. The SE-R's extra guages on top of the center console/dash dont really flow with the interior. The SE-R door handles were plastic if I remember correctly? Fit and finish of the TSX interior is much better. Ergonomics seemed about the same in both cars.

I will admit the SE-R had more power, but still felt pretty sluggish off the line (automatic version). Handled itself well, had a pretty throaty exhaust stock, braking was decent but could use upgrading. Like I said the SE-R did not have a Navi option. Also insurance premium was a little higher. It does offer more room than the TSX but less gas mileage.

Im trying not to be baised because I was in the market for the exact same two cars. A magazine mentioned the SE-R was just glorified BS, a rebadged Altima not worth the extra $$$. The slight cosmetic differences such as the black lights, bumper, and grill will probably go unnoticed by anyone who isnt a car enthusiast.

I chose the TSX over the SE-R personally because of its value long term, safety features, consumer reports reccomendations, interior design and materials, warranty, aftermarket upgradability, and the fact that my family drives nothing but honda/acura.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:09 AM
Comptech Freak

Altima 3.5 is fast, but the car tend to lift when i was going on hwy at 100mph

torque steer is horrible, although the car has very sporty handling with the rear slides as i go on the ramp to hwy

power is awesome, better than my 3.2TL i must admit, but i don't get too much fun with the car coz it doesn't have the feel that i get in my Acura

TSX has a better handling, sharper turn and gd gas mileage, power is nth like the SE-R but quality is 10 times better

Altima's quality is awful and doesn't impressed me

if i have to choose i would pick the TSX although it sacrifice some power, but the quality is excellent
Old 06-17-2005, 01:29 AM
Instructor

i think the only upside for the altima iis that it probably takes regular gas...
Old 06-17-2005, 02:01 AM
A Commuter

Originally Posted by Superb0o
i think the only upside for the altima iis that it probably takes regular gas...

and it offers the VQ35~
Old 06-17-2005, 02:25 AM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by nahooneyya
and it offers the VQ35~
TSX got K24 I-VTEC
Old 06-17-2005, 04:11 AM
Advanced

Depends what you want. TSX has nicer exterior, nicer interior, better warranty/service, made in Japan, but has tiny 17" wheels and crappy tires. SE-R is faster, has better wheels, better looking exhaust with the nice VQ sound. The TSX is very common but the Altima is even more so. IMO cars like the Altima/TL/etc. are way to too big and look like bloated pigs.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
SE-R will drink gas a LOT faster than a TSX will.

As for the handling, I was always under the impression that it was a fat pig with tons of torque steer.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:26 AM
Pimpin Ain't Easy

Originally Posted by sauceman

As for the handling, I was always under the impression that it was a fat pig with tons of torque steer.
Thanks, for all the replies guys. Really, I didn't notice that much torque steer. It really wasnt that bad. I am still leaning towards the TSX, but the SE-R would be a fun competitor against it. I just wanted to see what everyone else thought on the subject.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Racer

I owned anissan frontier(01). it was the biggest piece of $hit I ever owned. plus the service sucked ass. It went in for it's 50k service, when I got the car back, it had wad of grease on the door the size of my hand. when I told the service manager about it, the dude handed me a rag! After flipping out on the guy, they sent the girl that sold me the thing out to clean it. THE GIRL! the dude wouldn't even do it himself. I took the rag from her, cleaned my car, never went back, and sold my car a year later.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:16 AM
Luke 1:37

I would seriously consider outside factors like service. From the Nissan people that I know, everyone has said the service sucks balls. A guy I met at the last meet who owns a Z said that the service people were horrible. Nothing compared to what you get with Honda or Acura.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lodi781
I owned anissan frontier(01). it was the biggest piece of $hit I ever owned. plus the service sucked ass. It went in for it's 50k service, when I got the car back, it had wad of grease on the door the size of my hand. when I told the service manager about it, the dude handed me a rag! After flipping out on the guy, they sent the girl that sold me the thing out to clean it. THE GIRL! the dude wouldn't even do it himself. I took the rag from her, cleaned my car, never went back, and sold my car a year later.
What does a blob of grease on a truck have to do with comparing a TSX with an SE-R?

- g
Old 06-17-2005, 08:31 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I've seen a couple black one's with gun metal rims and they looked sharp IMO. Bit of a large car but the handling is apparently drastically improved over regular Altima's.

This is a car I would have seriously considered had it been out when I bought the TSX. Remember that the 05's Altima's interior is also vastly improved over 03-04's which is mainly what kept me aaway back in 03.

Test dive it if you havn't already.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

I too thought that the Altima was big and heavy until I checked the specs on Edmund's.

The 5AT Altima SE-R (3316 lbs.) is actually lighter than the 5AT TSX w/NAV (3329 lbs.).

So the Altima is not a fat pig some think it is, unless you consider the TSX one as well
Old 06-17-2005, 09:01 AM

Hmmmm, maybe I'll drop by the Nissan dealership and test drive this bad boy just to see how well it performs. I also want to see how nice the interior is.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:39 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by virtualbong
Hmmmm, maybe I'll drop by the Nissan dealership and test drive this bad boy just to see how well it performs. I also want to see how nice the interior is.
Give us a writeup VB
Old 06-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Pimpin Ain't Easy

Originally Posted by psteng19
I too thought that the Altima was big and heavy until I checked the specs on Edmund's.

The 5AT Altima SE-R (3316 lbs.) is actually lighter than the 5AT TSX w/NAV (3329 lbs.).

So the Altima is not a fat pig some think it is, unless you consider the TSX one as well
Yeah, I was just going to say that they weigh about the same.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Give us a writeup VB
The question is, when the hell will I have time to do it. I really do want to test it out though, so I'm thinking the July 4th weekend will be a good time for me since the gf is gone that weekend.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

I own both (sort of)

I have a 2005 tsx, my wife has a 2005 Altima 3.5SE. yes, I know it's not the same as an SE-R, but I won't be comparing performance, but rather quality.

I have 7000 miles on my tsx, my wife has 5000 on her altima. I have zero issues with my car. No creaks, squeeks, rattles, shakes...nothing. So far she has had an oil leak (pretty severe, almost bone dry before first oil change), one of her windshield washer fluid nozzles doesn't work and a part on the passenger door broke and now creaks like a 20 year old car when she opens it. Her interior just feels cheap...scratches everywhere.

As far as driving dynamics, her car is much louder on the highway...that's not going to change with the SE-R. And the Altima is just a boat! It's huge. Yes, the interior is much bigger, but who cares.

I'll give the altima this - The stereo kicks ass. The bose system is 10 times better sounding and louder than the stock acura's.

Oh yeah, I get 30mpg, she gets 21. 8)
Old 06-17-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Being a nissan technician, i work on them all day....and see the quality and reliability of these vehicles, sometimes. I am a avid honda fan, but I was also considering the SE-R before my purchase of my TSX.
Way back in Nov we had the sample SE-R come by my dealership, and just as the same as everyone says, nissans interior is just low quality and easily damaged, always having customers come in with broken interior parts due to the cheap plastics.
I did test drive both cars. The SE-R has moster power in the VQ motor, we had the manual version, and it peels all the way through 3rd if you gun it all the way.
It does have improved styling over the regular altima, but nothing drastic, to me the interior is the same. The handling wasn't that impressive, and all bias aside, the TSX just personally seemed more fun to drive, a lil more nimble, its true its power doesnt compare to the SE-R but over all quality is what drew me in. And most importantly, the TSX gets better gas mileage.
Nissan does make good products.....last gen pathfinders, last gen maxima, Z's, but as of late it seems to me as if they are loosing their touch. After working on them for 6 years, I can see the difference over the years.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by TSXIndiana
I'll give the altima this - The stereo kicks ass. The bose system is 10 times better sounding and louder than the stock acura's.

Oh yeah, I get 30mpg, she gets 21. 8)

My mom's 2000 Maxima has a sweet stock system. It bangs so much louder than my stock TSX system.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lodi781

What does a blob of grease on a truck have to do with comparing a TSX with an SE-R?

- g

service, why would you buy from a company that doesn't support thier product after you buy it????
Old 06-17-2005, 01:42 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by psteng19

Don't place too much emphasis on the numbers. The TSX is a far better balanced car.

When I was originally shopping for a sedan, I thought at one point that the G35 sedan would be my winner since it looked great on paper: lots of power, lightweight, low pricetag. I even thought it would handle well since it had an upgrade "sport" suspension. Boy, was I wrong! When I drove it, it was just a big boat.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Instructor

why does everyone keep saying its faster then the tsx. Doesnt the r have 185hp?????????????i think thas what the website said.......!!!!?????????????
Old 06-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Instructor

oppps...sorry i got confused witht the sentra......
Old 06-17-2005, 03:06 PM
i want my nuku nuku futon

Originally Posted by hondatypes
oppps...sorry i got confused witht the sentra......
LOL!
Old 06-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ILoveMyHonda
Being a nissan technician, i work on them all day....and see the quality and reliability of these vehicles, sometimes. I am a avid honda fan, but I was also considering the SE-R before my purchase of my TSX.
Way back in Nov we had the sample SE-R come by my dealership, and just as the same as everyone says, nissans interior is just low quality and easily damaged, always having customers come in with broken interior parts due to the cheap plastics.
I did test drive both cars. The SE-R has moster power in the VQ motor, we had the manual version, and it peels all the way through 3rd if you gun it all the way.
It does have improved styling over the regular altima, but nothing drastic, to me the interior is the same. The handling wasn't that impressive, and all bias aside, the TSX just personally seemed more fun to drive, a lil more nimble, its true its power doesnt compare to the SE-R but over all quality is what drew me in. And most importantly, the TSX gets better gas mileage.
Nissan does make good products.....last gen pathfinders, last gen maxima, Z's, but as of late it seems to me as if they are loosing their touch. After working on them for 6 years, I can see the difference over the years.
for someone who works as a technician for nissan, and purchases a honda, i think that is a strong statement on your part. i am assuming that nissan does have very attractive purchasing incentives for nissan employees to buy nisssan vehicles. regardless, i can only guess that, with all the pricing discounts, you felt it still wasn't enough to offset the differences in quality.

i wonder if there are many technicians for honda who buy outside of honda...
Old 06-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_6spd
Don't place too much emphasis on the numbers. The TSX is a far better balanced car.

When I was originally shopping for a sedan, I thought at one point that the G35 sedan would be my winner since it looked great on paper: lots of power, lightweight, low pricetag. I even thought it would handle well since it had an upgrade "sport" suspension. Boy, was I wrong! When I drove it, it was just a big boat.
true...
Old 06-17-2005, 05:01 PM
Got Ramen?

the interior build quality in the altima was the major turnoff factor in the first place for me when i took a look at the car.

for the ~$1000 difference, id still go with a TSX for:
- MUCH much better built quality and fit & finish
- gorgeous interior
- sleek and crisp exterior
- gas mileage
- Honda's well renowned smooth transmission and engine
- NAVI!!!
- just an overall better value
Old 06-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

that's how nissan does it, and on the RWD cars its just a fat pig w/o torque steer

Quick Reply: Acura TSX vs. Nissan Altima SE-R