ACura TSX "premium" music system

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 05:18 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ACura TSX "premium" music system

I'm not a music buff, but I must admit I like my music crisp.

I just bought a 2006 Acura TSX w/ nav, and while I love everything else about the car, the ACura TSX "premium" music system is driving me nuts with its distortion. I have heard that the Acura music system isn't great, but I think this is horrible!

What do you suggest I do? I was wondering if there is some aftermarket product I can add to the system to improve the quality of the sound.... HELP!! I dont want to do anything that would nullify the warranty.

Suggestions?

Kazi
Old 08-05-2007, 05:28 PM
AcuraZine

well i recently bought a 2007 TSX and i like the sound system. there 300 something watt Pioneer speakers.

my suggestions is to take it in and get it check out at the dealer you got it from, or just by new speakers if its driving you that crazy.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:52 PM
East Coast Crew

Originally Posted by kamakazi1977

I just bought a 2006 Acura TSX w/ nav, and while I love everything else about the car, the ACura TSX "premium" music system is driving me nuts with its distortion. I have heard that the Acura music system isn't great, but I think this is horrible!

What do you suggest I do? I was wondering if there is some aftermarket product I can add to the system to improve the quality of the sound.... HELP!! I dont want to do anything that would nullify the warranty.

Suggestions?

Kazi
There must be something wrong with yours because on ours, it seems good.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:10 PM
B A N N E D

mine pounds pretty good too
Old 08-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Instructor

mine sounds good, 1000x better than my bros 325ci...
Old 08-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Banned

I think the speakers might be a bit on the soft side is all. I was thinking about looking around for recommended replacement speakers, but I just got the car yesterday.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
acura tsx WITH NAVIGATION has Alpine Headunit, and pioneer speakers

TSX with NO navigation has pioneer headunit, and pioneer speakers

both system output is ~360watts, which is good.

Maybe your song or mp3 quality is bad. try 192kb + sound, you won't have any problem with stock HU and speakers
Old 08-05-2007, 07:20 PM
B A N N E D

like i said... the ones in my 07 sound awesome.

but if you need to replace them look at getting some Alpine type R's or Infinity Kappa's from Crutchfield
Old 08-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Advanced

I wasnt happy with the stock set-up as well.

The factory stereo number you REALLY need to look at is that each speaker is getting 18 watts RMS (continuous power). That amount of power is not going to give you any sort of clean power/sound with factory paper speakers.

The sound stage is basically on the floor with the stock setup (meaning that it sounds like the door speaker are the only ones with any range.) Ideally you want to have the "image" of the band on your dashboard. Vocals will be up high and center, you should be able to hear WHERE an instrument is on stage.

Quick fix:
Change out the front components and put and amplifier to them.

I swapped out the front components with Polk SR6500's and amped them with 200watts RMS (compared to 18watts RMS stock)

Added a 10inch sub with 400watts going to that. Sound is unreal. The clarity, the soundstage problems are gone, has to be heard to believe.

But I'm an audio-snob and spend a tremendous amount of time in the car, so Its a bigger deal to me than to others. Best mod ive done to date.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:37 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
I put some infinity kappa's in the rear deck and they hit pretty hard and have crisp highs and lows for bass, so if that's what you are looking for I'd reccomend them.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Advanced

I feel the speakers are also slightly weak. The power is moderate from the head unit but the speakers distort over level 34 with any significant bass ( even with bass level turned to -1) I heard a full 8 speaker replacement with alpine type s's helps tremendously. You have to turn it slightly louder to achieve the same loudness, but I hear you can actually use level 40 with no distortion! I had the type s's in another car with an aftermarket pioneer deck and it jammed. I will do this mod after i get tires in a couple months. Ill keep you updated, but the just search alpine type s's and youll get all the info you need.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Advanced

Have the OEM speakers been changed since the 2004? Haven't been reading this site that much lately, but back in the day, most everyone agreed that the factory speakers were garbage, but the amp, while small, could sound clean with the right choice of upgraded speakers.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Pro

i had an 06 TSX with navi, and it sounds really good to me, and it's better than my sis's 04 325i's speaker (which it had some sound package too).
Old 08-05-2007, 11:14 PM
my acura sanctuary

First, sound is very subjective. Many people are unknowingly tone-deaf. I say that because one guys idea of awesome is another gals garbage. Keep that in mind when reading opinions on sound equipment.

I agree that the pure number of speakers shouldn't be the definition of premium. Furthermore, "Premium" is usually assigned to the better performing model/version. Though there is only one stereo option for a TSX.

What I did was to remove all the stock speakers and only use two front component speakers (2 door + 2 dash), bypass the stock built-in amp, add an amp to power the fronts and 10" sub in the trunk. Now I think my stereo produces a sound quality I would expect to be the "Standard" system in any Acura. Price $1500US prof, installed.

By the way, paper speaker cones are used on extremely high quality home speakers that are in the $5k -$10k range. So all paper is not bad. the paper on the TSX's stock pioneer speakers are just low quality. The magnets on the speakers might be heavy enough to hold refridgerator are. I've held them in my hands.

Of course there are a bazillion variations on how to upgrade a stereo (from the Bumpin Thunder to the Symphony on wheels) to make the ultimate sound. That said, I find that the 2004-2008 stock TSX stereo to have average sound quality.

Oh, and ::ibtl :: probably going to get locked since there is an audio forum that this gets directed to (usually).
Old 08-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Intermediate

I noticed distortion too, but it's not always present. I want to sort of pinpoint it before I take it in to the dealer.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:39 PM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 1st gen g35 Bose system was sub par compared to the acura system. I think it sounds very good stock.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:35 AM
my acura sanctuary

Originally Posted by kamakazi1977
Suggestions?
Kazi
I meant to ask the OP Kazi what he is using for a source when getting distorition?
Is it all sources (AUX, CD, FM, XM)?

Because yes a low quality mp3/wav through an ipod/AUX is going to sound like crap no matter what amp and speaker. FM radio and XM are also not the best way to judge if it's distorting. you need to be using an original CD. Yes some CDs can be played all the way up to 40 level volume but that is very very dangerous to the speakers. It has to be a very quiet CD to go that high, nothing dynamic like new House, D&B, or rap. I do not recommend ever going to 40 with a stock system.

Note that different sources will be set at different volume levels to get to the same loudness. So if you are listening to XM radio and have it 30, the same song on a CD might play at 24 to get the same loudness.

Kazi, let us know more details.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:43 AM
Registered Car Nut

IMO, the sound system isn't so bad, but the speakers are definitely the weak link in the whole equation. Get a nice set of replacement speakers (I like the Polk Audio or the Infinity Kappa series) and you'll see a nice improvement. you could also do a search on speakers/sound and see what you get!
Old 08-06-2007, 02:39 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not an audio-phile. Although the stock 06 sound system sounds okay, it's still seems a bit weak. It reminds me of my accord; it sounded fine to me, but then I was blown away when I replaced the head unit with an aftermarket one...the accord speakers came alive.

I don't know why OP is experiencing distortion unless he has his volume up high. I usually stick to around 10-15. I also have to turn down the bass though or else i'll get some rattles lol

Was your TSX bought new or used? Maybe the prior owner did something. Reminds me of when my brother borrowed my sister's car, and returned it with a blown speaker lol
Old 08-06-2007, 04:49 AM
Instructor

What EXACTLY would i need to purchase (assuming money is no object) for it to become "Symphony on wheels"?
Old 08-06-2007, 11:13 AM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Apart from designing a new AC control mechanism after ripping out the head unit to be replaced with a better one (presuming it's the Sat Nav version), then all you need to do is chuck a load of money at new speakers all round inc. crossovers, (remove rear shelf ones, and fit proper pair of 8" or 10" subs), convert the speaker level outputs to line level, and add some amps, and equalisers, and a serious amount of sound absorption/deadening material to doors, floor, trunk, firewall, and roof.
Don't expect much change out of $5-8K, done properly.

Now, as for which brands to buy - that's totally personal taste and any recommendations would only be a starting point rather than a mandatory purchase.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Guys. We have an Audio and Video Forum for this discussion. Look here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/

Kazi,

I suggest you run a search in the Audio & Video Forum because your questions/observations aren't new and have been discussed a number of times.

Rather than repeat what's been already said I point you to the posts above by Meinbeast, financeman1, subdued, ChrismanTSX, and SoCaliTrojan and say .