Acura TL or TSX

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:07 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TL or TSX

Hi, I currently have a 95 Honda Accord V6 with 105K miles on it. I am planning to get a 05 Acura TL or 06 TSX. I would like to stay with the Honda family and my price range is 18 - $20k. I would like a reliable sport sedan that fit 4 adults comfortably. Please help me decide, thanks
Old 05-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Advanced

I am about to buy a TSX, I'm coming from a 2003 Accord V6. In these times of high gas prices I don't need a V6 anymore and the TL is a downgrade in fuel economy but a slight upgrade in performance. The TSX is a downgrade in performance but an upgrade in fuel economy. It fits four comfortably (only .4 inches more leg room in back).
Old 05-26-2008, 08:49 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
108Steps, welcome to the forum!

Just a note, people will start to flame you for posting a 1st gen TSX question on the 2nd gen TSX. Come on guys, this is his first post, please don't flame him..

Anyways, both TSX and TL will fit you. The TSX has less power than the TL, but since you are coming from a 95 Accord V6 with 170hp and ~170lbft of torque, I think the TSX's 201hp and 172lbft torque should be a decent upgrade. You won't feel significantly more power, but I think there's enough difference. The TL on the other hand, would be much faster. I have a 2002 TL-S myself, it's as fast as a 05 TL automatic, and from my experience, it's a quick car. The TSX should give you a sportier feeling because it's a smaller car, and less weight in the front, also that's what most magazine reviews have said. If possible, get the manual transmission too, you will love it. Both TL and TSX are fully loaded and will be a major upgrade from your Accord in terms of luxury.

So, in summary, both car great cars. If you demand more power and more space, get the TL, if you want better gas mileage, sportier/more nimble handling, get the TSX.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:00 PM
resident asshole

go with the t-sex.

but yea, wrong section (should be in 1st gen)
Old 05-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Racer

TL - More space, better acceleration, softer ride than TSX. Less of a driver's car than the TSX. Good for families with children.

TSX - Compact, nimble, more of a personal car than the TL. Has precise steering and feels surefooted with a good set of tires.

If the TSX has adequate interior and trunk space for your needs, then test drive both and go from there. I think you will see a distinct difference in the handling and "road feel" of the two cars. One will feel more right than the other.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:00 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

By the way, if you want a larger car, a more powerful car, without sacrificing a lot of nimbleness, opt for the TL 6MT, tires are more grippy, and LSD helps a whole lot.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:55 AM
Race Director

i don't think he can get an 05 TL between $18-20K unless it has a lot of miles on it already
Old 05-27-2008, 02:47 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

It's a bit difficult to find but there are some, depending on your definition of high mileage,

This one has 67000 miles on it with A-spec kit going for $21k.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/692939080.html

This has 50000 miles for $20k.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/car/691252299.html

I think you just have to be patient and be willing to search.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:23 AM
7th Gear

Hi, thanks for everyones help and sorry I posted this on the wrong section. It's my first post, I came from where they talk about Honda Accords. My next car will be an Acura. I am leaning toward the TSX because it's good on gas, compact, and a luxury sport sedan. I really don't need alot of HP for city driving.

It's only me and my wife in the car, and no we don't have any children. Sometimes my mom and little brother is in the car. I love the way the TSX looks. There are so many TL's and Accords here in Philadelphia.

Does the the 05 TL have any tranny problems?. Also the TL is high matiance and uses 91 octane gas. Since gas price is so high these days, I can downgrade to a 4cy.

My 95 Accord V6 has similar specs to the TSX. I think I'll get the TSX, is the 05 and 06 TSX the same? thanks
Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 AM
gets all the crazy chicks

If fuel economy is a big concern, go for the AT. I have a 6mt '08 TSX, and am coming from a 5mt '99 Civic coupe I'm a little bummed at the mileage I've been getting- keep in mind I'm coming from the econo-box world. Highway runs are decent, I get ~30-32mpg, mixed driving nets me 26mpg or so...

The AT doesn't have aggressive gear ratios hence the better economy...
Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 108STEPS
Hi, thanks for everyones help and sorry I posted this on the wrong section. It's my first post, I came from where they talk about Honda Accords. My next car will be an Acura. I am leaning toward the TSX because it's good on gas, compact, and a luxury sport sedan. I really don't need alot of HP for city driving.

It's only me and my wife in the car, and no we don't have any children. Sometimes my mom and little brother is in the car. I love the way the TSX looks. There are so many TL's and Accords here in Philadelphia.

Does the the 05 TL have any tranny problems?. Also the TL is high matiance and uses 91 octane gas. Since gas price is so high these days, I can downgrade to a 4cy.

My 95 Accord V6 has similar specs to the TSX. I think I'll get the TSX, is the 05 and 06 TSX the same? thanks
The TSX still takes premium gas. It gets a little better mpg than the TL, though.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

TL FTW! Why? Because it just looks soooo much better

still love the Gen1 TSX though
Old 05-27-2008, 12:00 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I rarely hear about tranny problem for the 05 TL, it's mainly for the 1999-2003 models. Also, don't worry too much about maintenance cost for both of these cars, they won't cost you a fortune to maintain.

05 TSX is slightly different than the 06 model. It's a bit more powerful, it has different wheels, some changes to the appearance, etc. I think the 1st gen TSX people know more about the changes.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:03 PM
touge monster

tsx ftw
Old 05-27-2008, 12:13 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
The TSX still takes premium gas. It gets a little better mpg than the TL, though.
I use regular gas in my 06 tsx-no problems-after 18 months of ownership (bought new) and 51,000+miles. While on our way home from our roadtrip from NC to Ca we stopped at Sharp Honda in Topeka, Ks to get an oil change. The service advisor complimented me on how well my car was maintained. I prefer my tsx over the TL-had one as a loaner car overnight.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:23 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not gonna hate on the TL, its an awesome car.

But for me I liked the smaller size, handling, and interior/exterior design of the TSX better.

BTW, when I drove my friends 05 TL, it was very similar in daily driving and I did not notice the power, but it did on the freeway though.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xenonhid
I'm not gonna hate on the TL, its an awesome car.

But for me I liked the smaller size, handling, and interior/exterior design of the TSX better.

BTW, when I drove my friends 05 TL, it was very similar in daily driving and I did not notice the power, but it did on the freeway though.

same sentiments here

my friend has a TL and you do love the power on the freeway for passing but otherwise....i love my TSX more
Old 05-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
only get the tl if you get the skirt package or else it looks ugly.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:51 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by aascsm
same sentiments here

my friend has a TL and you do love the power on the freeway for passing but otherwise....i love my TSX more
I know huh? I was expecting to be blown away by the V6 but I seriously felt even more lag on the throttle and the handling was very boat like.

But I'm sure its better on the TL-S, and I do love the TL, its a great car.

On the highway, the TL shines! You can notice the power there.

I just love my TSX even more than the TL and a lot more than the FUGLY 09 TSX.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:16 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Of course, it's my own personal opinion... but the TL isn't worth getting unless you're getting an '07-'08 TL-S. Otherwise, there's not significant of enough differentiation between the '06 TSX and "regular" '05 TL. If you like good feedback from the road and enjoy a tight handling (and feeling) drive, the '06 TSX is your choice. If you like a cushier, ride and view your car as more transportation than entertainment, get the '05 TL.

...and FWIW, we have an '05 TSX and '07 TL-S.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
At the end of the day, the TL was just not worth the added cost over a TSX. It only really offered more power at the expense of mileage - just about all the other options seemed equal.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Race Director

made a decision yet?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:26 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Wow, I can see a lot of TSX lovers here! I think one of the reasons why people hear don't feel the added power of the TL over the TSX is because the TSX would shift at higher rpm. I had the chance to drive the TSX as a courtesy car and noticed it would shift at around 3000rpm, while in my TL, at about the same accelerate, it would shift at 2000rpm. Of course, when full throttling, there's no comparison. After all, one gets from 0-60mph in mid to high 5's, while one gets there in mid 7's.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll take the TL. It's so much more refine than the TSX inside and out. The interior is well crafted with better material. It makes TSX interior look like an economy car. It's a better car overall.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:56 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by CiViCKiDD
If fuel economy is a big concern, go for the AT. I have a 6mt '08 TSX, and am coming from a 5mt '99 Civic coupe I'm a little bummed at the mileage I've been getting- keep in mind I'm coming from the econo-box world. Highway runs are decent, I get ~30-32mpg, mixed driving nets me 26mpg or so...

The AT doesn't have aggressive gear ratios hence the better economy...
that's pretty good gas mileage...given the same driving routes and same driving style, i bet you $100 that you couldn't beat those figures by 2mpg by just switching from the 6 speed to an auto.

go swap your car with someone else who has an automatic and drive it for a week. if you get 34mpg on the highway and 28 in mixed driving, i will give you $100 cash. why do i offer? because you're not going to get mileage that high. also, don't use the MID display to calculate it. use the same gas station every time, and do basic division to calculate your figures.

even if you did get 2 more MPG, you're talking about saving a few dollars a week. would i put myself in an auto instead of a 6 speed to save that (and be miserable)? nope.

to the OP: if you drive stick and don't sit in LA/NY/DC traffic, buy the 6 speed. it's a far more rewarding driving experience. of course, that cuts out a normal TL, so i'm guessing you are an auto transmission driver. good luck!
Old 05-28-2008, 07:01 AM
2010 6MT non-tech

Originally Posted by iforyou
Wow, I can see a lot of TSX lovers here! I think one of the reasons why people hear don't feel the added power of the TL over the TSX is because the TSX would shift at higher rpm. I had the chance to drive the TSX as a courtesy car and noticed it would shift at around 3000rpm, while in my TL, at about the same accelerate, it would shift at 2000rpm. Of course, when full throttling, there's no comparison. After all, one gets from 0-60mph in mid to high 5's, while one gets there in mid 7's.
what TL are you talking about? does the TL-S even go 0-60mph in 5.5 seconds? i don't think it does...

the OP might want to think about how he'll feel in a TSX with 4 adults and cargo. it is markedly slower with 3 or 4 adults, and pretty sluggish when it's packed. in the summer with the A/C on, it's even worse. if you can afford an 04 or 05 TL, you would probably be happier. it's still got solid handling and it'll be easier to get around town and pass people on the highway, especially when your car is full of people.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:04 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
108STEPS, try both cars first before you decide. We can only give you our opinions and real life facts. Final decision is in your hand. If you can live with a full TSX trunk, A/C on and 4 people in it, then get the TSX. If you can't, then get the TL.

Trunk size for both cars are about the same. A lot more power and torque for TL compared to TSX but more gas (this one is really subjective because it depends on your driving style). If all things are equal, TSX reaches about 2-3 mpg more than TL. Both cars drink premium as recommended fuel, but you can use regular grade if in emergency with lower power and/or torque feel (if you can feel them).

TL has more refined interior than TSX.

Happy searching.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:15 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by platinum1
108STEPS, try both cars first before you decide. We can only give you our opinions and real life facts. Final decision is in your hand. If you can live with a full TSX trunk, A/C on and 4 people in it, then get the TSX. If you can't, then get the TL.

Trunk size for both cars are about the same. A lot more power and torque for TL compared to TSX but more gas (this one is really subjective because it depends on your driving style). If all things are equal, TSX reaches about 2-3 mpg more than TL. Both cars drink premium as recommended fuel, but you can use regular grade if in emergency with lower power and/or torque feel (if you can feel them).

TL has more refined interior than TSX.

Happy searching.
I agree... the TL interior is a step above the TSX... but one of my gripes (albeit a small one) is the trunk. Since you can't put the rear seats down in the TL, it's a big annoyance when you're trying to transport anything that has some length to it. I'm a huge snowboarder --- I don't like to carry my gear on roof racks --- so I never use the TL-S to go up to the mts. Of course, if you don't use your car for any utility like that, then it doesn't matter.

I personally enjoy driving... and that's why I have a slight preference for the TSX. I love the TL-S, but at the end of the day, regardless of what the C&D slalom numbers might say, the TSX FEELS more tossable and nimble on the road... and that means something. It's the difference between taking a spirited run w/ confidence and taking one w/ some hesitancy. I tend to enjoy *operating* the TL-S as a "cruiser", but I enjoy *driving* the TSX. As others have said, I would also recommend you test drive both... but I stand by my comment that the TL just isn't worth getting over the TSX unless your getting the TL-S.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Race Director

you can put the snowboard through the back arm rest pass through right?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:06 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

At best, you can fit 1 board through... unbagged... and depending on the size of your board and your stance, you'd have to remove at least 1 binding. It's just too much of a nuisance IMO. I also travel w/ at least 2 boards (1 for park, and 1 for all-mtn), so it's totally undoable. I always bag my boards --- you can never get all the ice and dirt off after a full day out... I don't want to muddy up my interior...

I know... I'm anal!

In any event, the TSX makes it a breeze. I can put down one side or both depending on how much gear I'm carrying.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Instructor

I'm glad to hear that amadeus303, I'm a huge boarder too and I've wondered about that all winter. Never had to use my car to go riding this past season though. I figured with trunk space, people and gear 3 people would be max for the TSX, I don't like racks either.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

if i can do it all over again, the tl
Old 05-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
The TSX has a better ride (stock) than the TL...for some unknown reason...but I have a TSX & my best friends have a TL & he somewhat fixed the TL ride issue by going with one size wider tire on the stock wheels. But like everyone else said, if you are looking for a smaller, more nimble car that is more convenient for buzzing around town, then go with the TSX (also for better gas mileage)...but the TL is a very solid car..I've driven my car & the TL to and from Vegas more than once & though the TSX is perfectly suitable for long road trips, ultimately the TL is much more comfortable and tracks much better on those long desert strips of asphalt...
Old 05-28-2008, 08:17 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by frescagod
what TL are you talking about? does the TL-S even go 0-60mph in 5.5 seconds? i don't think it does...

the OP might want to think about how he'll feel in a TSX with 4 adults and cargo. it is markedly slower with 3 or 4 adults, and pretty sluggish when it's packed. in the summer with the A/C on, it's even worse. if you can afford an 04 or 05 TL, you would probably be happier. it's still got solid handling and it'll be easier to get around town and pass people on the highway, especially when your car is full of people.
Well, I did say mid to high 5's, and all 6MT TL's can do that.

TL A-spec in 5.6s (http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...cs+page-2.html)

TL in 5.7s
(http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...a_tl_road_test)

TL-S in 5.5s
(http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...re+page-5.html)

Of course, if you are even more experienced, you can do better than those numbers. Like-wise, if you are not good at drag racing, then you are not gonna do as good.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iforyou
I like those numbers better than Edmunds, they had a TL clocked at 6.5 0-60 and the 1/4 at 14.96 @ 90.7mph
Edmunds test drivers probably didn't know how to work a 6speed MT.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...7/pageId=57722
Old 06-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Whats it is SON!

What r some of the TSX specs? I haven't seen any yet.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:43 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
1. TL FTMFW
2. TSX is Ugly
3. You cannot get a 05 TL between 18-20k out the door

The TSX is just plain corny
Old 06-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Advanced

just go test drive both and see for yourself ....

i'd stick with TL though
Old 06-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
go with the TL ... it feels like a luxury car and IMO looks better. also one thing that really annoys me abou the tsx is when you close the door it sounds hollow compared to the TL that sounds solid. It's why I went with a TL ... If you get a TL you can still drive a TSX as a loaner car when you drop of your TL for servicing
Old 06-01-2008, 12:05 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by TL929
I like those numbers better than Edmunds, they had a TL clocked at 6.5 0-60 and the 1/4 at 14.96 @ 90.7mph
Edmunds test drivers probably didn't know how to work a 6speed MT.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...7/pageId=57722
wtf trap speed of 90.7mph? Even the first gen TSX 6MT can do that..there's obviously something wrong with the test driver lol.

Quick Reply: Acura TL or TSX