Acura TL impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura TL impressions

so my 2 month old TSX was at the dealer getting new sunroof glass (warranty )

some rubber on the side of sunroof was bad and they just ordered the whole new sunroof glass and rubber to replace.

i got a 2006 TL loaner car, and here's some of my opinion.

Good

Damn i envy the power, would i get the power close to TL after i change the header, CAI, icebox, exhaust and finally the S/C?

looks more luxury inside, although i like my TSX parchment leather

very smooth steering wheel feel. once i thought why the TSX steer feel is so stiff, and maybe i thought it was because of my position of steering wheel.
i tried to change position using the telescopic steering adjustment, but i guess it feels the same.

Bad

i could NOT stand not having a aux port on TL. my ipod was useless for the 2 days i had the TL.

it's heavy, although power's there.

navi voice has a separate speaker. so gay - - . maybe we can change the setting but... damn it was bad.

Navi screen lagg... i guess the version's old. but 06 TSX navi seems more advanced with little more detail changes

after driving TL for 2 days, now i really want some power on my ride.
How much of power difference it would make after getting the S/C on my TSX.
especially when my 06 is auto

anyway, i jus drove my TSX over the weekend to Chicago (from Michigan)

good trip...mine jus ran over 4200 mile mark.
just ordered Valentine 1
Ingen CAI coming soon....pics coming soon.....
Old 10-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Should post the impressions in the TL forum I think if I'm correct.

But great write up Jae. I haven't gotten to driving the TL yet.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:56 PM
VSA Rocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'm sick of hearing about folks outside of my area getting TL or even RL loaners!

Last time I got my car serviced by Thomas Acura in Covina, I got a ride in a smelly, dirty, Honda Odessey.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
I think I'm sick of hearing about folks outside of my area getting TL or even RL loaners!

Old 10-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Team Owner

My dealer only had PWP TSX Loaners. It makes me really really sad because they say that PWP is the most unpopular color here, which made my parents decide against getting me PWP. Which really pissed me off, but oh well, I got the next best thing, the CGP
Old 10-18-2006, 03:41 PM
私はより良い

hahahaha i went to thomas acura in covina too, but they gave me a TL for a loaner!!!
Old 10-18-2006, 03:43 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I test drove an 06 TL 6mt with my dad about a week ago and wrote some impressions, but basically I thought the power was good but not an enormous difference from my '04 TSX -- Hondata, SRI, header, cat, pulleys. Torque steer took some of the fun out of the additional power. The difference that stuck in my head was that ELS sound system. Man, play a DVD-Audio on that system and you get all 24 bits and 96kHz and it's awesome.

I was honestly happy to get back into my TSX. I can't help it, I love my TSX.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Instructor

Sorry to hijack your post, but did your moonroof rubber look like this:

cuz I have some white-ish stuff on the edge of the rubber (like shown) and if it can be taken care of through warrantee, I'd like to do it.

Back to the topic,
I think the TL feels really fast in a straight line. I mean, even the gages look like it's been lifted out of a fighter plane; it's gotta be fast.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:06 PM
Pro

[QUOTE=fadinglionhart]Sorry to hijack your post, but did your moonroof rubber look like this:

cuz I have some white-ish stuff on the edge of the rubber (like shown) and if it can be taken care of through warrantee, I'd like to do it.

i think i had little different issue.
i had sunroof rubber on the front side of the sunroof was bumpy, not flat.
maybe it was caused from tilting my sunroof for a long time and rubber did not go into the sunroof properly.

just ask the dealer, if you still have warranty, which i believe, they will easily order a new sunroof and replace for you.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:06 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by cybereclipse
hahahaha i went to thomas acura in covina too, but they gave me a TL for a loaner!!!
Bastard.

I asked them for a car for two days and both times they told me they didn't have one. I even complained to their service department because they never answer the phone or call you back.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Out in the country yesterday, thinking about passing a couple of cars I was trailing. I spotted in the distance an on-coming TL trailing another car. The TL signals, moves into the on-coming lane (that's my lane), and the two cars in front of me hit the brake, but the TL makes the pass and slides back into it's lane making it [now] obvious that the two cars in front of me didn't need to brake. There is NO WAY my 6MT TSX could have made that pass.

If I had a TL I'd be driving like that guy for a week - until I lost my licence. It does remind me, however, of my father saying that his '77 930, brand new but with a rebuilt engine, was faster than a jet, from Toronto to Ottawa.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Race Director

Yeah, I noticed that too when I had an 05 TL as a loaner once. I also did envy the power, why does the Navi voice come out from just 1 speaker on top of the dash? That's stupid if you ask me. In my friends MDX and in our TSX the navi voice is heard on all of the speakers.

Also, well the navi in the TL loaner there is no touch screen page for the AC functions, but we have it in the TSX, why???
Old 10-18-2006, 08:55 PM
2006 TSX

The last loaner I got was an RDX. Can you believe it?!!? I think Acura is having a hard time selling the RDX. It isn't priced correctly.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Race Director

Whoa RDX huh? How's the performance and your review of the RDX?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
You guys still have it good....I was on the road today, and I saw a previous generation Camry that had writing on the back that said "Courtesy Vehicle for Blah-Blah BMW" in really, really small print.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:37 AM
Pro

Yup. in Jersey Difeo BMW (well known in Norther Jersey) gives Ford Focus as BMW loaners
Old 10-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jaehshim

some rubber on the side of sunroof was bad and they just ordered the whole new sunroof glass and rubber to replace.

Good

Damn i envy the power, would i get the power close to TL after i change the header, CAI, icebox, exhaust and finally the S/C?

very smooth steering wheel feel. once i thought why the TSX steer feel is so stiff, and maybe i thought it was because of my position of steering wheel.
i tried to change position using the telescopic steering adjustment, but i guess it feels the same.

Bad

i could NOT stand not having a aux port on TL. my ipod was useless for the 2 days i had the TL.

navi voice has a separate speaker. so gay - - . maybe we can change the setting but... damn it was bad.

Navi screen lagg... i guess the version's old. but 06 TSX navi seems more advanced with little more detail changes

just ordered Valentine 1

wow bergen county NJ! i used to live in ho-ho-kus. that county's great but the OC's better. anyways the TL sux. way too heavy and built strictly for old geezers. besides the TSX has almost every luxury feature it has (minus the stereo system). get that shiet you mentioned for your TSX and you'll have enough power.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:58 AM
Pro

Good write up, but didn't you test drive the TSX and TL back to back before buying the TSX or was this just refreshing your memory?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vitocorleone
Good write up, but didn't you test drive the TSX and TL back to back before buying the TSX or was this just refreshing your memory?
I didn't test drive the TL because it was more than I wanted to spend. The TSX was in the upper range of my price limit. Maybe it's a similar situation with the OP.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
You guys still have it good....I was on the road today, and I saw a previous generation Camry that had writing on the back that said "Courtesy Vehicle for Blah-Blah BMW" in really, really small print.

Saw the same thing in my neck of the woods. Camry loaner car for BMW.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Yeah, I noticed that too when I had an 05 TL as a loaner once. I also did envy the power, why does the Navi voice come out from just 1 speaker on top of the dash? That's stupid if you ask me. In my friends MDX and in our TSX the navi voice is heard on all of the speakers.

Also, well the navi in the TL loaner there is no touch screen page for the AC functions, but we have it in the TSX, why???
maybe it's the surround sound processor doing it's trick - dialogues are sent to the front center speaker...
Old 10-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Black_6spd

Last time I got my car serviced by Thomas Acura in Covina, I got a ride in a smelly, dirty, Honda Odessey.
i got a base tsx that was pretty dirty inside from thomas
Old 10-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

I got a TL last service, and a TSX this past service so i guess its just what they avaliable for me!!
Old 10-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
BMW is usually pretty good with loaners. they give you other crappier cars, so that you can't wait to get back into a BMW. lol
Old 10-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by bradykp
BMW is usually pretty good with loaners. they give you other crappier cars, so that you can't wait to get back into a BMW. lol
...or maybe they don't want to waste all their time and money fixing up BMW's that accumulate a lot of non-TLC miles, and use more reliable cars in their fleets instead.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Banned

Good

Bad

just ordered Valentine 1
Just a few things that came to my mind while reading your post,

1. If you had a cassette adaptor, the Ipod would have worked just fine.

2. The TL is roughly 200 pounds heavier than the TSX. IMO, that's not really heavy.

3. I don't have a navi TL, so can't comment on the last part.

Not shitting on the TSX, just a few things that came to my mind.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by TriniBwoy

2. The TL is roughly 200 pounds heavier than the TSX. IMO, that's not really heavy.

On point 2, I agree that 200 lbs is not alot, especially considering the TL's power advantage. However, its not really how heavy per se, its how it feels and how weight is distributed.

The TL isn't as nimble or lively, and the TSX has tighter or smaller dimensions, making most of the car closer to the axis of rotation, as opposed to the TL. It like the F-16 vs. the F-15. One is more manuverable, one is more everything else. Both are good, either way.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Drifting

On my friends TL the voice comes out of all the front speakers... *shrugs...

the centre speaker i thought was just added there to make it a true 5.1 surround sound system...
Old 10-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Instructor

The last time i had my TSX in for service, I borrowed an 06 TL 5AT/navi for the day. I felt it was very underpowered for the size of the car. Low end torque was weak as well. Seats were not as supportive, and the manumatic shifting was lame. I really did not like the auto shift from 1st to 2nd gear. If I wanted the car to shift for me, I would have put it in "drive" in the first place. I was happy to be back in my TSX at the end of the day.

The good news for the TL is the new type S. More pwer, new transmission that in manual mode allows you to decide 1st to 2nd shifts. The seats in the TL-s are better as well. The steering still felt light, but handling was nice. After driving the TL-s, I was not happy to get back into my TSX. Lucky for me my lease is running out in a few months!
Old 10-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Pro

it's year 2006. we don't use casette for plug in MP3s...and for a luxury car like TL, why not have a simple aux port.
maybe it will change in 2007 models.

TL sure DOES feel heavy, but at the same time there's the Power in TL.
"feel heavy" can be described in many ways, driving straight and driving corners, feeling heavy is different.
handling wise, since it's bigger car, TSX is more nimble.
however, TL steering is smooth, and very smooth, like any other competitious vehicles,
when i drove the C class, TL , Audi A4 Quattro, it made me realize how stiff the TSX steering is.
i do not know the exact reason why it feels so stiff.

Driving Audi Fronttrack (non-quattro) and TL (FWDs), i don't see why TSX still has such stiff steering.

it sure does handle well thou ^^
Old 10-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Banned

it's year 2006. we don't use casette for plug in MP3s...and for a luxury car like TL, why not have a simple aux port.
maybe it will change in 2007 models.

TL sure DOES feel heavy, but at the same time there's the Power in TL.
"feel heavy" can be described in many ways, driving straight and driving corners, feeling heavy is different.
handling wise, since it's bigger car, TSX is more nimble.
however, TL steering is smooth, and very smooth, like any other competitious vehicles,
when i drove the C class, TL , Audi A4 Quattro, it made me realize how stiff the TSX steering is.
i do not know the exact reason why it feels so stiff.

Driving Audi Fronttrack (non-quattro) and TL (FWDs), i don't see why TSX still has such stiff steering.

it sure does handle well thou ^^
Completely agree. They actually finally add it in the 2007 TLs. I was just saying if you had a cassette adaptor you would still be able to play your iPod. Not saying it's appropriate for such a vehicle at all.

I also agree w/ everything you're saying except for the "feel heavy" part. We're talking about a 200 pound difference between the two vehicles. Would you say the TSX would equate to the TL as far as "feeling heavy" if you were driving around w/ a 200 pounder as a passenger in your TSX? - because that's basically what you're implying.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Team Owner

I just plainly like the TSX more than the TL, because 95 Percent of the TSX was made in Japan. IMO, driving the TL was fun and all, but I wasn't very sold on the whole build. I'd still prefer the TSX over the TL.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:58 PM
6MT or Death

Completely agree. They actually finally add it in the 2007 TLs. I was just saying if you had a cassette adaptor you would still be able to play your iPod. Not saying it's appropriate for such a vehicle at all.

I also agree w/ everything you're saying except for the "feel heavy" part. We're talking about a 200 pound difference between the two vehicles. Would you say the TSX would equate to the TL as far as "feeling heavy" if you were driving around w/ a 200 pounder as a passenger in your TSX? - because that's basically what you're implying.
You've got a bad case of selective reading. It feels heavier because of how the weight is distributed. Driving the TSX FEELS like a much lighter more agile car. I also was given a TL as a loaner and it felt like a boat. They're not the same car just with a weight difference.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:20 PM
VSA Rocks

:shakehead
This thread actually lasted 26 posts before the ol' "TL vs. TSX" argument had to be re-hashed.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
You've got a bad case of selective reading. It feels heavier because of how the weight is distributed. Driving the TSX FEELS like a much lighter more agile car. I also was given a TL as a loaner and it felt like a boat. They're not the same car just with a weight difference.

I've only driven "TSX Sized" cars my whole life. I'm not used to any other size of a vehicle, so anything I'm unfamiliar with, it'll feel terrible in comparison to my TSX.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
The big fat lady with a 70 pound gut or a 70 pound breast is still a big fat lady. In addition, one fat lady w/ a 70 pound gut would feel just as fat as the other lady w/ the 70 pound breast.

Now if you're saying there's other factors to take into consideration that ultimately determines the way the car feels...that I agree with. But I don't believe weight is one of those factors since as I stated before, it's 200 pounds.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:47 PM
VSA Rocks

The big fat lady with a 70 pound gut or a 70 pound breast is still a big fat lady. In addition, one fat lady w/ a 70 pound gut would feel just as fat as the other lady w/ the 70 pound breast.

Now if you're saying there's other factors to take into consideration that ultimately determines the way the car feels...that I agree with. But I don't believe weight is one of those factors since as I stated before, it's 200 pounds.
He is right. Good analogy.

Driving a 3000-lb car with 80/20 weight distribution will feel identical to a 3000-lb one that has 50/50 because they are the same weight....

Old 10-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lets not forget that the OP is stating his OPINION on what the TL felt like to HIM.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:30 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

You guys seem to know a lot about feeling enormous women with 70-lb. breasts. Just an observation.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Race Director

Have you seen the interior pics of the TL-S on the TL forum Trinibwoy? Unfortunately, there still is a cassette player in the 2007 models based on the pics.

I liked driving the TL, you could feel the power difference and the better leather than in the TSX. Plus, for some reason the TL starts quicker than the TSX and it sounds exactly how my old 99 Accord sounded when you started it. On the TSX I don't know why it starts slow.

But, for some reason I feel the TSX is more of a driver's car because I feel like I have more control of the TSX vs. the TL which just felt bigger. I still don't understand why though the rear seats can't fold down in the TL, but they can in the TSX. All Accords have this feature too, why not the TL?

Quick Reply: Acura TL impressions