Acura Responds to iPod Complaints

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 02:58 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Responds to iPod Complaints

I got a call from Acura this week to let me know that they had received my letter and fax complaining about the "Acura Music Link" iPod integration. The guy who called me was clueless; he clearly knew less about the product than I did, nor did he have anything interesting to tell me. He did say that as a result of my letter they removed references to the "Acura Music Link" from the owners web area (about time).

I hope the seriousness of this matter isn't lost on other owners (or prospective owners). Acura has flat out lied. They announced an incredible product, failed to deliver it, and offered nothing to those lured in by their deceitful claims. They are not a company to be respected or trusted, and while I like other things about the car, I will never buy another Acura product again.

I'm certain that were Lexus in this situation that they'd do whatever it took to make it work. So would BMW. So would Mercedes. The people at Acura don't put actions behind their promises, and I won't forget it.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find your reaction a bit extreme. But then, I find the idea that you bought a car based solely on a promised ipod dock a bit extreme. Just calm down, and breathe.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts

Take a deep breath...

Now understand that Acura IS working on a solution. They are just making sure that they get it right before they return the product to the market.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, a bit of an overreaction IMO. You are angry and it's understandable, but to not buy another Acura for that reason is extreme. There's no way to be certain that another manufacturer would have gotten it right the first time around or would be perfect in any way. At least Acura is trying to offer a product it thinks people want - to my knowledge most car makers aren't even offering this type of technology, so I wouldn't be too hard on them.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

What the hell happened to your music link, I must've missed something
Old 02-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Overlord

Originally Posted by kaliraver69
Musiclink was discontinued on TSX due to problems with it interfering with XM. Supposedly they are working on a fix at this time.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Professional Newbie

Originally Posted by kaliraver69
Maybe it became possessed and took over the car

So is TSX the only model that it doesn't work with now?
Old 02-10-2006, 10:33 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
Maybe it became possessed and took over the car

So is TSX the only model that it doesn't work with now?
umm, I think the only models it works with are the TL and RL

Edit: works with MDX too
Old 02-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Beoshingus
Musiclink was discontinued on TSX due to problems with it interfering with XM. Supposedly they are working on a fix at this time.
A friend of mine has it on a 2005 (and there is another AZ member with it on their 2005), and it doesn't interfere with XM.

But, even when operating properly it has a clumsy interface that has drawn complaints.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephrem
A friend of mine has it on a 2005 (and there is another AZ member with it on their 2005), and it doesn't interfere with XM.

But, even when operating properly it has a clumsy interface that has drawn complaints.
I thought it was new for '06?

My '04 is sounding better and better...LOL. Hope it all gets worked out though.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:48 AM
TSX User

Another ex-Acura owner.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by HollywoodTSX
Acura has flat out lied. They announced an incredible product, failed to deliver it, and offered nothing to those lured in by their deceitful claims. They are not a company to be respected or trusted, and while I like other things about the car, I will never buy another Acura product again.

I'm certain that were Lexus in this situation that they'd do whatever it took to make it work. So would BMW. So would Mercedes. The people at Acura don't put actions behind their promises, and I won't forget it.
Well, I am slightly amused. Sorry, but Acura was sold the music link by a 3rd party. This supplier has been unable to make it work properly. As I understand it, MusicLink works on the TSX, but in the Navi mode (or was it with XM), the system requires that you press an extra button (or the same button twice) to disengage the unit and return from iPod mode. Acura did not like this and this is the reason they've withdrawn the TSX from the list.

I'm curious, what do you want Acura to do?
Old 02-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Racer

Wait....... so you can't even buy this thing? I always thought I could buy one of those links from the Acura dealer and have em install it =/ Guess I was wrong. Yeah, seriously though your overreacting to the issue...... its not like your ipod cant play in it =/. My advice is..... next time you buy a car, actually "test" it out like most people do....... thats what a test drive is for. If there is no link, then don't buy heh......
Old 02-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Cruisin'

I haven't been following the Music Link + TSX controversy. What kind of problems is it having?I'm curious, for those that do have it installed on an 05, how does it work? Does XM have to be disconnected or does it make use of a switch? Did a dealer install it (my dealer, Acura North Scottsdale, had no information on it when I last checked a few weeks ago)? Also, is the 06 stereo the same as the 05 as far as connections go? If it is, I'm curious how Acura added the built-in aux port without conflicting with the input the XM is in? Does anyone know of any good posts or photos explaining this or how the Music Link works?

I've been wanting to get an iPod or Aux input installed, and was hoping to get the Music Link, but if I can't, I may have to go 3rd-party, but I want to go as clean as possible. I wonder if an Acura dealer could install the aux input thats on the 06 in an 05?
Old 02-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colin
Well, I am slightly amused. Sorry, but Acura was sold the music link by a 3rd party. This supplier has been unable to make it work properly. As I understand it, MusicLink works on the TSX, but in the Navi mode (or was it with XM), the system requires that you press an extra button (or the same button twice) to disengage the unit and return from iPod mode. Acura did not like this and this is the reason they've withdrawn the TSX from the list.
Colin, I have a Music Link in my 06 non-nav TSX. One of the first Music links, between the time it was released and Acura pulled it for the TSX. The problem is that when you turn the car on, the head unit displays the CD changer, plays the ipod, and gets a channel bleed from whatever station is playing on XM2. You can clear it by cycling through the aux button back to the CD (ipod) changer. It seems like this is a problem only with 2006 head units.

We bought it because (1) there is no limitation on the number of songs in a playlist or numbers of playlists (we can't find one, anyway); (2) you can change the songs within the playlist from the steering wheel (safety issue). What it does not have is a smooth interface, which is what Acura advertising information leads you to believe. Beyond the already documented issues regarding the creation of thousands of TTS files for the TTS function on the ipod and the clumsiness of the plug-in (sloppy coding), and the time lag between selecting music and the time it starts to play, or the inability to find a specific playlist or artist using TTS, the Music Link does not give you even the most basic information (e.g., time remaining in song), or the ability to fast forward or reverse to a part of the song. In essence, it is even less than a normal CD changer; but it does give you the ability to load a massive playlist (like your own radio station).

Acura could learn the most basic lessons from the Phatbox (a separate mp3-aac music player that takes the space of a CD changer in other brands of cars) regarding how to use the data in an mp3 file and ingration with stereo controls. Personally, I think Acura should go beyond this basic approach and instead look to engineering a method to obtain nearly complete control over the ipod, like Mercedes (information display on the head unit, etc.). This would fulfill the kinds of "integration" promises Acura made in its press releases regarding this product.

Don't get me wrong -- I really like the TSX and its engineering, but on this one accessory Acura really fell down on the job. It isn't even close to other products that have been on market for a couple of years. And blaming the supplier doesn't work for me -- Acura is on the box, it is an Acura part number, and it should have been thoroughly tested for market readiness before released (or marketed) to the public.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:14 AM
Advanced

I find your reaction a bit extreme. But then, I find the idea that you bought a car based solely on a promised ipod dock a bit extreme. Just calm down, and breathe.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. To me a promise is a promise. Should I also question if the car will get the mileage they claim? If the air bags will go off?

The TSX is a fine car with or without the iPod, but the point is I took them on their work. I believd their claims. I chose their car over other based on what they claimed it would do. They lied. Worse, even after being made aware of the issue they failed to issue so much as an apology. If the issue was important to them, they could issue a fix in the blink of an eye. So that makes me wonder, if their commitment means that little to them, what ELSE should I worry about?

Trust is a hard thing to earn and an easy thing to loose. For what it's worth, I believe if more owner expressed their concerns that *maybe* they'd do what it takes to resolve this.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:17 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004

Take a deep breath...

Now understand that Acura IS working on a solution. They are just making sure that they get it right before they return the product to the market.
Not according to the Acura rep that called me. The "solution" I hear was to say it doesn't work on the TSX.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:29 AM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. To me a promise is a promise. Should I also question if the car will get the mileage they claim? If the air bags will go off?

The TSX is a fine car with or without the iPod, but the point is I took them on their work. I believd their claims. I chose their car over other based on what they claimed it would do. They lied. Worse, even after being made aware of the issue they failed to issue so much as an apology. If the issue was important to them, they could issue a fix in the blink of an eye. So that makes me wonder, if their commitment means that little to them, what ELSE should I worry about?

Trust is a hard thing to earn and an easy thing to loose. For what it's worth, I believe if more owner expressed their concerns that *maybe* they'd do what it takes to resolve this.
sell the acura and get a bmw/mercedes; everything will work for about 3 years and then the car will start to fall apart....and this is based on my own experience.

as for claims of gas mileage, airbags working, etc... all you have to do is search on these topics on this forum and you will see that the tsx is one of the best out there in it's class. there have been a few members who have tested gas mileage with great results and there have been other members who have been involved in serious accidents where it was proven that the tsx was capable of keeping the occupants of the cars safe.

remember, this is the first iteration of the ipod musiclink for the acura lineup; maybe future revisions of this unit will prove to be better.

in the meantime...relax, drink some iced tea, and enjoy life...
Old 02-11-2006, 01:58 AM
Advanced

Well sir, please calm down! At 5 years younger than you part of the reason I considered Acuras and Hondas yet again, were for their supposed forward thinking and Music Link setups. I even based my decision of Navi system on the hopes of future OEM expansion such as MP3, ipod etc. I already have an Ipod gen 40gb which I had hooked up to my Sony deck with Apple dock and decent RCA cables in my 2001 Accord v6 lx. So the thing is what to do with my Ipod now?

As well, the Music Link for Acura/Honda does not display song title, I don't quite understand why not!
Old 02-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Intermediate

I think 2006 owners have a right to be disappointed. I have seen several magazine ads showing some dude dancing outside his 2006 while holding an ipod connected to the TSX. It is basically advertising seemless integration between the ipod and the TSX. If it doesn't even work properly...that is really If it works, but has a poor interface...still Acura shouldn't advertise like they developed some cutting-edge product, if they didn't (especially if it is still under development).
Old 02-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by McCalf
I think 2006 owners have a right to be disappointed. I have seen several magazine ads showing some dude dancing outside his 2006 while holding an ipod connected to the TSX. It is basically advertising seemless integration between the ipod and the TSX. If it doesn't even work properly...that is really If it works, but has a poor interface...still Acura shouldn't advertise like they developed some cutting-edge product, if they didn't (especially if it is still under development).
I think you guys are confusing the Aux 1/8" jack input with the Music Link, which are two different things. You guys with 06's should have no problem playing your ipod through the 1/8" jack right?

In fact, according to this article , they never mention the TSX being compatible with Music Link. My guess is that dealers just assumed it was. Kinda like that dealer who told a member here that their 06 could have a Comptech SC
Old 02-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joerockt
I think you guys are confusing the Aux 1/8" jack input with the Music Link, which are two different things. You guys with 06's should have no problem playing your ipod through the 1/8" jack right?

In fact, according to this article , they never mention the TSX being compatible with Music Link. My guess is that dealers just assumed it was.
You are completely wrong. Do a search in this forum on the history of the product. I am well aware of the difference between the Aux input and the Music Link.

That press release has been edited, perhaps in response to Hollywood's email in another thread criticizing that specific release in light of Acura yanking it from the TSX market. The original press release included the 2006 TSX, and Music Link is listed as an available accessory for the TSX in the brochure (the Page Opposite Specifications).

The original text:

"Acura today unveiled the Acura Music Link iPod(R) adaptor, which allows seamless integration between iPod and Acura audio systems. The new accessory developed by Acura enables drivers to listen to their iPod in digital sound directly through the audio system in the 2006 Acura RL, TL and TSX sedans and MDX SUV. Acura Music Link allows drivers to select their music by artist, album, genre and play list through the standard controls on the audio system head unit. Additionally, the Acura Music Link adaptor will be the first to include text-to-speech capabilities or VoiceID, when searching through the iPod music library with the audio system controls.”

Acura's revision worked on you, didn't it?
Old 02-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Google cache version, with the TSX language:
Link

See also this thread, where the original press release and the TSX install instructions are posted:

Acura Unveils Music Link Accessory

The question is the "seamless" integration (per the press release), and the Music Link is anything but.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Intermediate

I'd like to take a little survey for those of you with Music Links that don't work well.

c0nsumer and I are investigating the feasibility of writing new software to run on the Music Link processor chip that would allow basic track skip forward and back, pause, and toggling shuffle and repeat. There would not be playlist browsing, but the iPod screen and controls would still be functional. If it could be figured out how to fix the issue with XM audio being heard at the same time, would this basic iPod interface be attractive to those of you with Music Links?
Old 02-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Still Lovin my 06

well, first of all, to everyone who took that press release, which was very vague, at face value: you deserve to be disappointed, since you had such high expectations of this product.

many of us on acurazine were skeptical of the product's ability's from the moment it was announced. and you can see numerous posts on the board.

so what exactly is it that acura "promised" you through this release hollywood?

i don't understand what exactly you didn't get that they promised? i'd first point out that it's a BRAND new product being introduced, which you're a sucker for falling for in the first place. everyone knows with electronics that first gen products need some tweaking. maybe everyone who bought plasma tv's is pissed that they're burning out soon. i think it's comical that people put this much stock in the music link, which looked like garbage to me to begin with. especially for the price.

until items like this come in the car, and not as an added accessory, i won't even consider them. all it really is is an aftermarket piece that supposedly should work. sorry you got duped, but when you don't have your guard up, it's easy to slip the jab.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Just dial 1911

I am well aware of the difference between the Aux input and the Music Link.
Ok, so does the Aux input work or not?? If so, you should still be able to play your ipod right?
Old 02-11-2006, 12:31 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by calcbert
I'd like to take a little survey for those of you with Music Links that don't work well.

c0nsumer and I are investigating the feasibility of writing new software to run on the Music Link processor chip that would allow basic track skip forward and back, pause, and toggling shuffle and repeat. There would not be playlist browsing, but the iPod screen and controls would still be functional. If it could be figured out how to fix the issue with XM audio being heard at the same time, would this basic iPod interface be attractive to those of you with Music Links?
I doubt you will fix the XM bleed problem in firmware. That is a HW problem, as Blitzsafe found out with their own aftermarket interface, and Dension with their Icelink (works great in 04s, in 05s itsounds great but the XM audio is distorted, quieter, and has engine whine in it. Bummer. We can get it out but it's like another $75 in shop time and parts...)

We do install Icelinks into TL and TSX (and others) but it takes our wiring harness mod and an external switch. A bit less mooth, but both XM and iPod sound great, and you get track and basic playlist control and charging and a 4V audio preamp.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by calcbert

YES!!! that would be "Almost" perfect!! The only thing i can think of that would be better is having the info up on the nav display......but having control of the ipod, with steering wheel and head unit controls would be awesome!

Heres hoping for a future solution!
Old 02-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joerockt
Ok, so does the Aux input work or not?? If so, you should still be able to play your ipod right?
Yes, you can play the ipod through the Aux input. But that isn't the issue. The issue is being able to use the ipod and control the ipod through the car controls, including changing playlists, songs, etc., and Acura's representation that you can do that -- "seamless integration." To me, it is a safety issue (and this was touted by Acura customer service as a reason to purchase it before it was discontinuned).

Granted, it is a convenience issue, but Acura's representations were misleading. Personally, I recognize that Acura can't do much about it at this point (what is done is done and the thing doesn't work or doesn't work well), but it would be best if they fix it and issue a Music Link 2.0, if you will, that works.

It is a complete downer that Honda/Acura, an entity that typically is renowed for their ethics, made this mistake and I think that Hollywood's venting reflects his frustration. (By the way, revising the press release without stating that it is revised has ethical implications that I won't get into here.)

I'm frustrated because although I researched the interface before I purchased the Music Link I certainly wasn't expecting the XM bleed issue or the time lag between selection of song and song-play. The Music Link does allow the ipod to play massive playlists well, where you only have to change songs, instead of attempting to select a specific song or album. In essence, we have adapted our ipod usage to fit the limitations of the interface.

The dealer has been great -- in my case the offered me the option of waiting for the fix and leaving it installed or de-installing it and getting a refund. I am waiting for the fix. But I certainly understand the original poster's frustration, especially if the ipod integration was a reason why he purchased the car.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Team Owner

But I certainly understand the original poster's frustration, especially if the ipod integration was a reason why he purchased the car.
If this was THE deciding factor in purchasing the car, then perhaps the original poster should reconsider his priorities, along with everyone who bought the car just for this accessory.

Old 02-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dhartung02
YES!!! that would be "Almost" perfect!! The only thing i can think of that would be better is having the info up on the nav display......but having control of the ipod, with steering wheel and head unit controls would be awesome!

Heres hoping for a future solution!
That future solution is the next project for me. I think it is very doable, depending on how easy it is to obtain some of the necessary interface chips.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If this was THE deciding factor in purchasing the car, then perhaps the original poster should reconsider his priorities, along with everyone who bought the car just for this accessory.

I concur
Old 02-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Pro

All things considered --> A tempest in a teapot.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:07 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i say give the original poster a break. I mean we have complaint threads about rattles so I think we can have room for one about IPOD intregation let downs.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:03 AM
Advanced

Do you still think they are "working on a solution"?
Old 07-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Advanced.

I don't know, have they contacted you anymore? IMO, get over it! If your iPod is that important to you, you need to seek professional help.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Team Owner

Here's you solution....

Stop acting like a whiny little douche...