"Acura Music Link" (iPod) for TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From a legal standpoint, it doesn't who Honda/Acura purchase these parts from. Once the slap an Acura badge on it and sell it to the customer, Honda/Acura must live up to what they promise about the product.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:55 AM
2nd Gear

I've read just about every comment in this thread and there is some good stuff here. Here is my take:

In October of 2005 I was still in a lease of a 2004 TSX. I wanted to get out of the lease and purchase a new car, and the 2006 TSX was my first choice. Why would I want to buy a 2006 TSX instead of just buying out my 2004 TSX? Yes, the extra few horsepower were nice... the fog lights... the updated nose of the car... but mainly because of new convenience features, such as a navigation system and iPod MusicLink adapter.

As I researched Acura's website and promotional materials, it was very plainly stated that the MusicLink adapter would be STANDARD IN ALL 2006 ACURA TSX MODELS. No, this wasn't talking about the Aux Line Input, but a separate MusicLink adapter that, from snapshots, looked like it was located in the glove department.

So in October of 2006 I went to my local dealership and asked about this car and discussed pricing, etc. I also asked about the MusicLink adapter, and they said it would be available now AS AN UPGRADE in December of 2005 for around $250. This also coincided with updated marketing materials from Acura. And I was fine with having to pay the extra $250 for the part. At that point, I had the dealer order my new 2006 TSX, which wouldn't end up coming in until late December of 2005. While waiting for my new car to arrive, I purchased a new Apple iPod, spent countless hours converting songs to its format, all in preparation for my new car.

So... was the MusicLink adapter the ONLY reason I chose the 2006 TSX? No it was not. But as a previous 2004 TSX owner, I can tell you that it was a MAJOR reason. Major enough for me to become an iPod user, which I hated because I'd rather use a player compatable with WMA files (but that is another subject).

I have heard several people say that "if the MusicLink adapter is the only reason you bought... etc etc... that you have problems." But the principle here can be applied to ANY convenience feature. For instance, what if they said that the new TSX would have voice control over car features, but when you purchased it they decided to retract that feature? What if the same happened for cruise control or a CD player? The point is that while a MusicLink Adapter may not be as important to some, it IS important to others... maybe even more important than cruise control.

Regardless of the feature or how much of a "convenience feature" it is, if it is promised in by the auto maker to be available, they should make sure it happens. After all, it's bad enough that they switched from "standard on all 2006 TSX models" to a "$250 upgrade". And after all, one of the reasons people are willing to spend 30k on a car is because of convenience features. To a large degree, they can be just as important to many as functional features. To some, a MusicLink adapter might be more important than having 4 cylinders instead of 3.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:35 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Moz1215
I've read just about every comment in this thread and there is some good stuff here. Here is my take:

In October of 2005 I was still in a lease of a 2004 TSX. I wanted to get out of the lease and purchase a new car, and the 2006 TSX was my first choice. Why would I want to buy a 2006 TSX instead of just buying out my 2004 TSX? Yes, the extra few horsepower were nice... the fog lights... the updated nose of the car... but mainly because of new convenience features, such as a navigation system and iPod MusicLink adapter.

As I researched Acura's website and promotional materials, it was very plainly stated that the MusicLink adapter would be STANDARD IN ALL 2006 ACURA TSX MODELS. No, this wasn't talking about the Aux Line Input, but a separate MusicLink adapter that, from snapshots, looked like it was located in the glove department.

So in October of 2006 I went to my local dealership and asked about this car and discussed pricing, etc. I also asked about the MusicLink adapter, and they said it would be available now AS AN UPGRADE in December of 2005 for around $250. This also coincided with updated marketing materials from Acura. And I was fine with having to pay the extra $250 for the part. At that point, I had the dealer order my new 2006 TSX, which wouldn't end up coming in until late December of 2005. While waiting for my new car to arrive, I purchased a new Apple iPod, spent countless hours converting songs to its format, all in preparation for my new car.

So... was the MusicLink adapter the ONLY reason I chose the 2006 TSX? No it was not. But as a previous 2004 TSX owner, I can tell you that it was a MAJOR reason. Major enough for me to become an iPod user, which I hated because I'd rather use a player compatable with WMA files (but that is another subject).

I have heard several people say that "if the MusicLink adapter is the only reason you bought... etc etc... that you have problems." But the principle here can be applied to ANY convenience feature. For instance, what if they said that the new TSX would have voice control over car features, but when you purchased it they decided to retract that feature? What if the same happened for cruise control or a CD player? The point is that while a MusicLink Adapter may not be as important to some, it IS important to others... maybe even more important than cruise control.

Regardless of the feature or how much of a "convenience feature" it is, if it is promised in by the auto maker to be available, they should make sure it happens. After all, it's bad enough that they switched from "standard on all 2006 TSX models" to a "$250 upgrade". And after all, one of the reasons people are willing to spend 30k on a car is because of convenience features. To a large degree, they can be just as important to many as functional features. To some, a MusicLink adapter might be more important than having 4 cylinders instead of 3.
First of all, the Link itself was never promised as a standard feature. Compatibility with it was, but not the Link itself.

Second, this is an ACCESSORY. An accessory that wasn't even available when the car first went on sale. An accessory with comparable features to other non-dealer sold accessories that had issues working properly with the head unit in the TSX.

Third, some of us are not in it for the convenience features. Some of us buy a car because we actually like the way it drives. The convenience features are just a bonus--icing on the cake, if you will.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephrem
I'm sure because I have one installed and it is flawed. The test: have the ipod playing, turn off the car, remove the key, and start it up again. On mine, whatever is on XM2 (including the XM preview) and the ipod play at the same time. To clear the channel bleed, repeatedly press the aux button to cycle back to the ipod.

I'll be interested to hear whether it works on yours without the channel bleed.

I have an 06 tsx with the optional mp3 player. It also bleeds with I turn the ignition off.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Moz1215
As I researched Acura's website and promotional materials, it was very plainly stated that the MusicLink adapter would be STANDARD IN ALL 2006 ACURA TSX MODELS.
I'd be curious if this was true, but as far as I know, it was always listed as an accessory.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Intermediate

Question? Where did you originally see this at? I mean I thought iTunes was the best place to get jams from already? I was totally oblivious to any Music Link sponsored by Acura. Could it be that it was a "rumor" on an unoffical Acura Site?
Old 02-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by InsuranceGuy
Question? Where did you originally see this at? I mean I thought iTunes was the best place to get jams from already? I was totally oblivious to any Music Link sponsored by Acura. Could it be that it was a "rumor" on an unoffical Acura Site?
The optional music link was shown on Acura's web page as a feature of the TSX and it was mentioned in the 2006 TSX printed brochure.

It also appeared in an Acura press release (link earlier in this thread).

AFAIK, it was never mentioned as included with the car. The compatibility with the optional music link was mentioned as a feature of the car.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Advanced

I really wanted the “Acura music link” Ipod car kit, but after hearing all the complaints about it I decided to try something else. I must say I am very impressed with the Belkin Auto Kit. The audio sounds great and it is easy to change songs. If you have a 2006 TSX and an Ipod this is a cheaper solution to get the Ipod in the car. Enjoy the pictures.

Later
Damon
2006 TSX
TSX Avg MPG
Old 03-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's great that you're enjoying the Belkin. Seems to be a great value.

Also get one of these so that the Ipod won't fly around while you drive. I think it runs like $6-10.

Old 03-29-2006, 02:31 PM
2nd Gear

bummer...

new to forum - thanks for all the info - I too am disappointed that the music link does not work with the 06 TSX. The car appeared to have all I wanted in my next car IF the integration worked - Hands Free Link, NAV, Voice Activation, etc. I'd gladly give up the XM on the radio to get the music link. Guess I'll have to go to the next level and get a TL or wait for the RDX...

thought i had found the perfect car for me at the perfect price point - oh well...

keep up the great work on giving us all this information...
Old 03-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Acura's not a computer company. The IPod interface was done by a contractor I'm sure. I'm sure Acura is pissed along with all of us, and is either looking for a new contractor to provide something better, or getting their current contractor in line.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It still blows my mind that people will buy a different car because the TSX doesn't have native iPod support.

That really says a lot about consumers.

Scion must really be onto something with their cars. They saw that people don't want to drive so much as they want to be in a mobile theater. Kudos for whoever did their market research because it's obvious they were right on the money.

:ibapplelaunchestheiCar:
Old 03-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
It still blows my mind that people will buy a different car because the TSX doesn't have native iPod support.

Scion must really be onto something with their cars. They saw that people don't want to drive so much as they want to be in a mobile theater. Kudos for whoever did their market research because it's obvious they were right on the money.

Seriously...And its not like there isnt another way to make it happen Dumb...
Old 03-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Have camera, will travel

Old 03-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I do agree that I was a bit pressed to buying the TSX because of all the technology it had, but it is the first year to have this sort of thing in the car, and hey, things happen, things don't work, and obviously they'll try to fix this for the upcoming years. After reading 7 pages of complaining, I have to say that I pretty much agree on both sides. I bought this car for the technology and was a bit upset when it doesn't function as well, however I also bought this car because of Acura's known reputation for awesome service and reliability. There are many ways to get an ipod into your car, so don't get mad. I really don't think complaining to my dealer will do me any good as well, because most of you god our cars for a really good price. I understand how you guys feel, but to say that you purchased your car for an accessory that they just debuted in their first car is just a bit awkward and disappointing. Enjoy the rest of the car and ignore the factory defects. These things happen.

Happy riding =)
Old 03-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts

It scares me to think that there are ever increasingly more people out there who are not really that interested in driving and more interested in doing everything else while on the road.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
It scares me to think that there are ever increasingly more people out there who are not really that interested in driving and more interested in doing everything else while on the road.

Yeah, like I said, even though I am a bit bugged, I am VERY satisfied with the car itself and I couldn't be any happier
Old 03-30-2006, 08:39 AM
2nd Gear

I agree with you guys that it is not a primary reason for making a purchase, but I would like to have my cake and eat it too - since they announced that it has it, one wants it...

How does this car handle in the winter weather - THAT is a more important consideration than the ipod stuff - in fact, since I listen to my mp3 player all the time, it would be nice to hear new music on XM rather than always listening to the same stuff...
Old 03-30-2006, 08:59 AM
Is waiting in

Who cares about apple ipod integration... everyday at work about fifty people ask me for an ipod and i simply tell them to go join the line at customer service.. Then they come in a week later sayin they want to be able to play it in their car. They have the following options: If their car has a cassette player, they can use an adapter. If they changed stock headunit to an aftermarket one, there is a high chance that it has an auxilary input. If unable for these two, they could try their luck with an fm transmitter. The 2006 TSX w/ aux in is still allows you to do this without having to go through all the trouble.. now only if it had full psp integration.. ;x
Old 04-02-2006, 03:17 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jk110
I agree with you guys that it is not a primary reason for making a purchase, but I would like to have my cake and eat it too - since they announced that it has it, one wants it...

How does this car handle in the winter weather - THAT is a more important consideration than the ipod stuff - in fact, since I listen to my mp3 player all the time, it would be nice to hear new music on XM rather than always listening to the same stuff...

I listen to my ipod almost daily and if I'm not using the ipod, I'm playing music on my laptop which is the same music that I have on my ipod. So, it is actually really nice to change it up and listen to XM radio while in my TSX though I am happy that there is an aux in to enable me to play the ipod when I want to. Sure, it would have been awesome to have full ipod integration, but definitely NOT a deal-breaker. I love my brand new TSX!!
Old 04-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^Wow, a voice of reason...Amazing...