Acura dealer experience in W. PA/E. OH

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 07:18 PM
White and Nerdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura dealer experience in W. PA/E. OH

Wanted to share my experience buying an Acura in W. PA/E. Ohio. I live in Western PA and went to Baierl Acura. Originally, we were looking at a TL. We did our research and all, and had a good idea of what price was typical. The salesman took us for a mediocre test drive (around neighborhood roads....I think I got up to 40mph...whoop dee do!). Afterwards, we made a low end offer, which the salesman then came back with a not unreasonable counter offer. We said ok, and went off to do the financing. When we came back three hours later, they said that the price was $1,000 more than what they told us. We walked and never looked back.

In retrospect, this was fortunate, because I then did more thinking and more research, and started looking at the TSX a little more seriously. I searched the internet and noticed that the prices at Acura of Boardman, just across the border in Ohio, were a good $1,000 less that the other dealers in W. PA/E OH. We went to Boardman and were treated much better. First, our salesman took us on a 17 mile test drive so we could see what the car did on the interstate. Mind you, I didn't even ask him to do this! He was also much less pressure oriented than the guy from Baierl. I liked how the TSX felt more controlled and more in touch with the road than the TL, plus, it was much better suited for our mission of having a "comfortable, cool commuter car". When we got back to the dealershp we gave him our low end price, and he came back with a reasonable counter, and gave us some extras just to sweeten the deal a little. After a little more haggling, we bought the car.

Wondered if anyone else has had experience with either Baierl Acura or Acura of Boardman. I also wonder why their prices were less than the other dealerships...they are a smaller dealer, and I wonder if they have less overhead, etc...I also wonder if Baierl Acura nixed our deal because we were not going to finance with them (and thus they wouldn't get more of our dough...)
Old 10-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Possible about the financing.

Anyhow, I'm glad some shopping openned the doorway for you to grab a better deal.

Enjoy the TSX, it is definitely a very tight package.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:46 PM
Racer

Hey...goto ACURA OF BOARDMAN

I got a TSX there and they will DEF> hook you up and treat you right.

talk to A.J. Lentine and tell him Brad Gillette sent you......he will take great care of you!

I am from new castle PA, and went to boardman for my acura because Bariel was kinda rude to me when talking on the phone.

let me know your name if you decide to go to boardman...i'll talk to AJ and let him know to hook you up!!!!
Old 10-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Racer

damn...nevermind.....i should have finished reading......congrats on the car.

hey.....if you will.....call boardman and tell them i recomended you

thanks
Old 10-07-2004, 08:52 PM
White and Nerdy

Damn...sorry I didn't post before I bought!...I'll try to give them a ring and tell them, I just hope its not too late....do you get any reward for referral?.....I know the local Lexus dealer here gives $50 for a referral.

We bought from a salesman named Eric...young guy, but knew the product very well and, as car salesmen go, was pretty good with us. The guy I really thought was cool there was the manager...every manager I have ever met usually dresses rather formal, tie and all....this guy looked like Sammy Haggar, even down to the haircut, earring and hawaian style shirt. Again, though, they know their product there and how to sell it.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:28 PM
Racer

ya the manager was great...same guy for me.

tell him brad Gillette refered you.....i bought a PWP from them the Beg. of Aug.

maybe we'll get some free oil changes from it or something cool

thanks!!
Old 10-10-2004, 04:55 PM
White and Nerdy

I gotta call them soon anyway, as I need to get the car inspected in PA and need to go to someplace in New Castle and I gotta get the directions to get there. I'll definately drop your name when I call.
Old 10-10-2004, 05:23 PM
Racer

I am from New Castle....in fact.... i was just there this weekend
Old 10-10-2004, 07:57 PM
White and Nerdy

There must be a dealer affiliated with boardman there....when I bought the car they told me that I could take it to a dealer in New Castle to get the inspection done. hmmmm.....
Old 10-11-2004, 08:14 AM
3rd Gear

avoid baierl

Baerl dealerships are all run by a greedy owner. I had a verbal agreement to buy a 2002 tl from them 3 weeks ago. The manager told me that the car had to be prepped. I said ok I will come back on saturday at 9am. 15 minutes before I reached the dealership the salesman call me on my cell to tell me that the car had accidentally been sold.

Baiel Acura has a major attitude. That is why there have so many cars still sitting on the lot.

Baierl Honda still has 15 04 Accords on their lot because they are just too greedy. I asked the salesman if I should put a down payment on a car I was interested in 2 weeks ago and he did the same thing, sold it. Actually Baierl Mitsubishi had the car and they got pissed off that the salesman was quoting 14K for a 03 accord lx with 35K on it. So they sold it themselves.

Avoid pittsburgh dealerships, they are all greedy go to ohio if you want some respect....
Old 10-11-2004, 11:39 AM
White and Nerdy

Wow...that sounds amazingly similar to my experience at Baierl.

I dont know what it is about the 'Burgh, especially in the N. Hills, but its really hard to find a good deal around there. I wonder if its the high property taxes in Allegheny County, makes the overhead a little steeper....dunno....Definately go to Boardman!

I will say that I do get treated reasonably well at Valley Honda in Monroeville, but Im on good terms with the sales manager there. If you are looking for an Accord, I would recommend Valley. You may not get "a steal of a deal", but, at least from my experience, they were at least very up front with us. I bought two cars from them in the past and have had no issues. Only complaint I have ever seen about them on the internet is that they tend to push extended warranties (which are often not worth it). I would definately consider buying from them again (and may do so, if the wife's lust for a new '05 Odyssey comes to fruition). Maintenance wise, they have Saturday hours and I am in and out of there in about an hour or so (I don't trust anyone else to change the oil in my firetrap, er, I mean, my CR-V!!!)
Old 10-12-2004, 08:38 AM
3rd Gear

awesome deals

Godwacker
thanks for the advice. I actually bought my oddssey at valley 2 yrs ago very good service and they always respect their customer. As for oddssey, if you want a great deal better than valley go to www.shenangohonda.com. as for Mike Matta or Jim tell them Bip sent you. If you buy a car keep the referral fee. It's 45 miles outside of pittsburgh but they will bend over backwards to close a deal. I got a 2003 lx accord with 44K certified for $ 14500 and they gave me 3K over the KBB trade in value for my 2003 nissan 350z.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:39 PM
White and Nerdy

When the time comes, I'll give them a look. I wonder....I need to get my car a PA inspection, and they said that they would refer me to a place near New Castle....but I don't think there is an Acura dealer up that way...Do you know who owns Shenango Honda?
Old 10-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Racer

Ya....thats a good place to get it done......but really........you can take it ANYWHERE you want in PA to get it inspected

my place just slapped the sticker on and let me go without even driving the car or anything.....

dont let them tell you where to take it......just find the cheapest place (that is respectable) and let them do it for you
Old 10-12-2004, 05:20 PM
White and Nerdy

They added an inspection to the deal...so I get a freebie, I just take it to the place affiliated with them.

Of course, it may not be worth the time/gas, so I may very well just take it to the closest place. I hate inspections...just a cheesy way for mechanics to make money.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:09 PM
White and Nerdy

Hey, here's another case of an Acura owner preferring Boardman....a lady who lives in my subdivision has a nice blue CL. I was out washing my TSX when she noticed the Boardman tag on the back. We talked and she also got her CL from Boardman, after being treated not so well by Baierl. Go figure! I wonder just how many Acura owners around here went to Boardman after a bad experience at Baierl?....there are two examples here in just one neighborhood!
Old 10-28-2004, 01:11 PM
3rd Gear

"godwacker" sorry for the delay. No I do not know the owner of shenango honda but must say that their service and attention to detail was even more enjoyable than my last two purchases at the mercedes and bmw dealerships in pittsburgh. I am going to trade in my 03 oddsey next month, because I know I will get an excellent deal. www.shenangohonda.com tell them bip sent you and keep the referral fee.....ask for Jim in sales
Old 10-28-2004, 05:55 PM
White and Nerdy

Are you trading for a new Odyssey? Just curious. Wife and I may get one next year (depending on the day, she either wants a new Odyssey or an RX 330).
Old 11-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Greg

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I've had a poor experience at Bairel, ended up buying an '03 MDX at Smail in Greensburg last year. Smail was a very favorable experience. This year I bought a '04 TSX at Spitzer. We wrestled over the price a little and didn't get quite the deal I wanted, but it was fair - about $750 below MSRP.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:27 PM
White and Nerdy

I've heard good things about Smail, too.....Having had a bad experience with #2 Cochrane and Baeirl, I just don't trust the big dealership "collectives" that seem to rule Pittsburgh. Thus, I don't know about Spitzer, either, but I'm glad you got a good deal out of them!

What color did you pick? I've only seen a handful of TSX's in the 'burgh, but a zillion TL's.