Accord EX-V6 6MT Sedan for $27,300?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 10:35 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accord EX-V6 6MT Sedan for $27,300?

So, Honda has finally made their Accord sedan available with the close ratio 6-speed manual transmission in the EX-V6 model. This car is fully loaded at $27,300, with the only option being Navigation.

Why would I get a TSX over this car (other than styling), especially when the Accord comes with a 24 valve 3L V6 that puts out 243 HP (SAE) and 210 lb-ft of torque? At first glance the equipment seems comparable, but the drivetrain sure isn't.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Racer

I wouldnt care how much they offer with the Accord because that car is ugly as hell. The TSX is so much better looking.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Instructor

^

TSX all the way !
Old 02-12-2006, 11:09 AM
08 MDX with Sports

You get couple things from Acura TSX.

1) warranty 4yrs/50ks
2) styling and weight/lighter
3) HIDs
4) Better aftermarket support like Hondata/A spec kits etc..
5) Name TSX not another "accord". :p
Old 02-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd wager that the handling on the TSX probably edges out the Accord given the same tires, and almost certainly "feels" better.

It basically gives the buyer an option depending on what they value more: power or agility (yes, I'm really oversimplifying).
Old 02-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love my TSX but my sister's Accord is excellent, as well. For a price like that, I think the best bet is to get the Accord. It's certainly going to be faster than the TSX, the navigation is very similar to the TSX (I assume), and there is going to be more room in the interior.

However, like others have mentioned, there isnt as much of an aftermarket for the Accord but you won't need to do many mods bececause you'll have sufficient power out of the Accord's V6. Also, the Accord won't have the handling of the TSX nor the HID's, and I can easily say that I will NEVER buy a car without HID's. They're worth every penny. That's my
Old 02-12-2006, 11:53 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I'd say get the 6MT Accord V6. I had one in auto and one good punch from that V6 and you won't remember the TSX. The TSX feels more agile, handling numbers (skidpad) are identical. TSX can stop quicker from 60 by 1 foot. TSX steering and Accord V6 steering felt identical to me (Had a TSX for a month along with my AV6).

The K24 is a great engine, especially compared to the four-cylinders in its class. But the J30 in the Accord is worlds better in terms of everything, power delivery, refinement, etc. Also, it should be noted fuel efficiency differences are extremely minimal or may even be non-existant. My AV6 and the TSX (both auto) got identical miles per gallon. The TSX felt a little sharper but I still felt the Accord was more fun to drive due to the significant power difference.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Racer

Accords are great cars, they never break down..... and if you wanna hop on one I don't see why not, but..... on the tradeoff of a V6 TSXs get a more aggressive looking car (the front grille+ the more angled lights on the TSX vs the more curved, rounded lights and the small grille on the accord), hid lamps and fog lights, probably more aftermarket support since TSXs are made as a "semi sports" car instead of a family wagon, better gas mileage(albeit little, its still there 100 pound difference between the two cars TSX being lighter) with a perfect balance of power between a mediocre I4 and a weak V6 (unless you dont care, although fuel prices went up again)

All of that above vs. V6 heh I chose the above. (Plus I got the automatic for the typical LA suburbs style daily traffic, so TSX has a sportshifter instead of the accord's plain drive for my much needed spirited driving once in a while when traffic clears, but sticks is all the same)
Old 02-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Accord= More Engine, more power, AMERICAN-style Family Sedan, generic formula - add V6 to a plain jane body, give it agreeable handling. Compare it to the new Camry if all you want is engine.

TSX= Just plain tighter, worlds more fun to drive, EUROPEAN-style Family Sedan. Balanced.

Accord competitors - Mazda 6, Camry, Altima, Impala, Sonata, etc

TSX competitors- BMW 3, Audi A4, Saab 9-3, Volvo S40, etc Some are slower than some of the generic V6 american-style family sedans, but like I said, if you want just engine, go for the new Camry, or the TL if you must go Honda/Acura.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:07 PM
2nd Gear

I'd like to hear from somebody who's driven both back to back. I drove the TSX twice, and recall the very tight handling. In fact. it was almost jittery on some bumps (didn't get to check it out at highway speeds.) I just drove the Accord V6M. It felt like the same shifter, and it too felt jittery like the TSX. So I wonder if they've done something to the Accord V6M to tighten up the handling. With all that power, you need the handling to stay out of trouble.

I know this isn't an impartial crowd. But I'd really like to know how different they are in the handling. (We all know the TSX has an edge in the looks department, though I like the Accord V6M 17-inch wheels.)

David
Old 02-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Canuck

If you think the accord is a better car..then buy it.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dssr
I'd like to hear from somebody who's driven both back to back. I drove the TSX twice, and recall the very tight handling. In fact. it was almost jittery on some bumps (didn't get to check it out at highway speeds.) I just drove the Accord V6M. It felt like the same shifter, and it too felt jittery like the TSX. So I wonder if they've done something to the Accord V6M to tighten up the handling. With all that power, you need the handling to stay out of trouble.

I know this isn't an impartial crowd. But I'd really like to know how different they are in the handling. (We all know the TSX has an edge in the looks department, though I like the Accord V6M 17-inch wheels.)

David
Good first post.

I have a 6MT TSX, my dad has an 05 Accord LX V6. Although it's an AT, what doesn't change is the handling, and the Accord far from being outclassed by the TSX as some folks here would like to believe.

As far as gas mileage goes, the Accord may well be pretty good, but it being right up to the TSX is a stretch, although I'd gladly take my Dad's AV6 and test it out like I did with the TSX.

Powerwise, 6MT vs 6MT, well... If I were a TL driver, I'd feel a lot more frustrated than being a TSX driver.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

I'd jump on the 6mt , with the OEM lip kit and 5 star factory wheels it's a no brainer.The TSX is a beautiful car in and out but lacks the punch of the Accord V6
Old 02-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Instructor

Depends on what u need the car for and ur preference.

I'm 18, i'm more geared towards performance/power and slight luxury, so I went w/ a 6MT NAVI Coupe, but sedans same shit.

If your in the older crowd and luxury us more important to you, then go with the TSX. Obviously TSX is nicer, it costs more, otherwise ur @$$ gettin ripped off.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Race Director

Ever since the 7th Gen Accord Sedan has come into existence in 2003, I've detested its fat bloated look, glad they got rid of that ugly rear, but they still have those ugly headlights!!!

I would've chose the 7th Gen coupe, but it has the ugly front headlight too!!
Old 02-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Advanced

The TSX is nice, but my sisters Accord is pretty sweet also. No matter how you color the info, the V6 is better than the 4 cylinder. Also the interior is pretty nice, same lighting on the gauges, etc and the interior is sweet. On top of that and you get more room to stretch out. Ultimately depends on what you are looking for. However, if given the choice, I would go after the bigger engine, and more room. 4 cylinders just don't have any ooomph and it only gets worse as the years roll by...
Old 02-12-2006, 08:24 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rb1
So, Honda has finally made their Accord sedan available with the close ratio 6-speed manual transmission in the EX-V6 model. This car is fully loaded at $27,300, with the only option being Navigation.

Why would I get a TSX over this car (other than styling), especially when the Accord comes with a 24 valve 3L V6 that puts out 243 HP (SAE) and 210 lb-ft of torque? At first glance the equipment seems comparable, but the drivetrain sure isn't.
i don't know about you folks but i HATE torque steer, and 200hp/166lbft of torque is plenty fine for my front wheel drive TSX. i've driven a TL and a V6 accord and mashing the gas from a standstill wasn't really exhilarating; yeah, i got pushed back in my seat a bit more, but my car was all over the [dry] road.

furthermore, i live in DC, which has some of the worst traffic in the nation. i couldn't use the extra ~40 horses even if i tried, and i don't really go joyriding much anymore with premium fuel sitting around $2.60-2.80 these days.

bottom line is i think the TSX engine is mated perfectly to the 6-speed manual transmission.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^

torque steer would be a concern for me too.

on one end, a priority for me is handling/suspension. on the other, power.

i'm cool with giving up some hp/torque for better handling...

still, if the accord ex sedan 6mt was available when i bought my car, i know it would've been a much harder decision to make...
Old 02-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
I'd say get the 6MT Accord V6. I had one in auto and one good punch from that V6 and you won't remember the TSX. The TSX feels more agile, handling numbers (skidpad) are identical. TSX can stop quicker from 60 by 1 foot. TSX steering and Accord V6 steering felt identical to me (Had a TSX for a month along with my AV6).

The K24 is a great engine, especially compared to the four-cylinders in its class. But the J30 in the Accord is worlds better in terms of everything, power delivery, refinement, etc. Also, it should be noted fuel efficiency differences are extremely minimal or may even be non-existant. My AV6 and the TSX (both auto) got identical miles per gallon. The TSX felt a little sharper but I still felt the Accord was more fun to drive due to the significant power difference.
And don't forget the Accord doesn't need premium.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Advanced

I own a 06 Accord EX V6 MT with Navi, the new copper color in case you're curious. I traded in my 04 TSX for it. I wish I hadn't.

The car is great don't get me wrong, the brakes are crap. I have the four door which is heavier than the 2 door but has a smaller break.

The power is obviously better, the handling is a little less.

The main think is this. The accord is the accord. No two ways about it. Its never gonna turn heads and its not a car I get excited about. I've had mine for just shy of six months and everyday it get plainer and plainer. The TSX looked so much better and was always a more interesting conversation piece. The accord is steady as the day is long, but just nothing to be particularly proud of and lets face, people who post on things like this care about that factor.

The pure performance of the Accord is better, but the fun to own factor just is too much of an off set IMHO.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:52 AM
08 MDX with Sports

Originally Posted by billyho96
I own a 06 Accord EX V6 MT with Navi, the new copper color in case you're curious. I traded in my 04 TSX for it. I wish I hadn't.

The car is great don't get me wrong, the brakes are crap. I have the four door which is heavier than the 2 door but has a smaller break.

The power is obviously better, the handling is a little less.

The main think is this. The accord is the accord. No two ways about it. Its never gonna turn heads and its not a car I get excited about. I've had mine for just shy of six months and everyday it get plainer and plainer. The TSX looked so much better and was always a more interesting conversation piece. The accord is steady as the day is long, but just nothing to be particularly proud of and lets face, people who post on things like this care about that factor.

The pure performance of the Accord is better, but the fun to own factor just is too much of an off set IMHO.
I see somthing.. I see a brand new 2007 Acura TL/6spd in your near future..

Keep it in the family!
:p
Old 02-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Overlord

While we're talking about fuel efficiency, even though TSX edges Accord V6 by a bit, let's not forget that TSX has a premium fuel requirement whereas the Accord does not. Therefore, the annual fuel price is most likely higher on the TSX than on the Accord.

I considered both cars very seriously before purchasing. Each had it's pros and cons. Both are very very good cars. Needless to say, I got a TSX.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:41 PM
pss
1st Gear

I was shopping for a car about 2 weeks ago. After testdriving:

G35 '05
Accord EX-V6 '06
TL '06
TSX '06

I finally decided on the last one. G35 has the way too much power to drive at 10Mpg on GA400, Accord V6 does not feel whole lot more powerful than EXL I-4 '03 my wife drives (failed to find these extra 80 ponies under the hood), TL feels good but when I got into TSX ... there were no more questions about which one to get. Every single car mentioned in this post has 5AT that makes it more or less apples to apples comparison.

At about the same price for Accord EX-V6 and TSX you get few extras in the second one: HID, feel and look of more unique car on the road, extra warranty, roadside assistance paid for. With NAVI option you get bluetooth and voice command (someone to talk to in your car all the time My son likes to mess with it a lot).

Proud owner of TSX'06 cg/qtz/5at/Navi
Old 02-13-2006, 02:04 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by rb1

Why would I get a TSX over this car (other than styling),
- Handling
- Feel
- Too many Accords out there
- Increased warranty

Other than that I can't think of a single reason. The Accord is one hell of a automobile.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pizzaman555
I wouldnt care how much they offer with the Accord because that car is ugly as hell. The TSX is so much better looking.

The Accord, post-fanny tuck, is a pretty nice looking car.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Overlord

Originally Posted by darth62
The Accord, post-fanny tuck, is a pretty nice looking car.
But still about as exciting as a box of Kleenex.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:11 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Beoshingus
But still about as exciting as a box of Kleenex.
Yes, but I typically care more about what the inside of the car looks like and can tolerate a generic exterior as long as it's not too fugly. The new tail on the Accord looks much better, but the nose could still use some work.

[As an aside - I don't know how someone could drive the I4 Accord and not notice the difference from the V6. The 6 has more than 40 lb-ft more torque (about 25% more than the I4 Accord or TSX), and probably substantially more in the lower part of the RPM range. The V6 posts a 0-60 time of 5.9 seconds! What does the I4 take, 9? ]
Old 02-13-2006, 03:26 PM
2nd Gear

Re: Accord, I agree with the OEM lip kit -- pretty nice. Too bad they can't do anything about that front end (or is there an OEM kit for that too?)
Old 02-13-2006, 03:48 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by rb1
The V6 posts a 0-60 time of 5.9 seconds! What does the I4 take, 9? ]
9 seconds? I hope you're not talking about the 6MT TSX. You have to be one idiot of a driver to do 0-60 in 9 seconds.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:53 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by rb1
Yes, but I typically care more about what the inside of the car looks like and can tolerate a generic exterior as long as it's not too fugly. The new tail on the Accord looks much better, but the nose could still use some work.

[As an aside - I don't know how someone could drive the I4 Accord and not notice the difference from the V6. The 6 has more than 40 lb-ft more torque (about 25% more than the I4 Accord or TSX), and probably substantially more in the lower part of the RPM range. The V6 posts a 0-60 time of 5.9 seconds! What does the I4 take, 9? ]

Your just going to but a VW with the 2.0T anyway so why the thread?
Old 02-13-2006, 04:23 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
Your just going to but a VW with the 2.0T anyway so why the thread?
Ugh. See previous post about "fugly" exterior. Anyway, I haven't looked at Accords in years because you could never get the sedan with a V6 + MT (and only recently was the coupe available in this combo, but it's also fugly)