AC/Fan troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC/Fan troubleshooting

A question for the AC gurus out there.

I have a 2005 TSX that's been sitting in the driveway for about a year, and I was testing it out in advance of potentially selling it. When I got it started up, The AC light went on when activated, but I noticed it was blowing warm air, so I popped the hood and started looking around.I immediately noticed that the compressor was not turning, nor were either the AC or engine fans were spinning, nor was the compressor clutch engaged. I have a multimeter, so I checked the fuses and pulled all the relevant relays and bench tested them, and everything appears good. Next, I connected the fans to the battery, and each seemed to be working just fine. Pushing on the compressor clutch with a broom handle does not cause it to engage, and I don't hear any clicking from the unit when the switch is turned on and off, so I am thinking the problem doesn't lie there.

So I know that a lot of the pieces in this system won't run if they detect a problem in another area. This raises a few questions: What is the next logical place to look? Am I correct in thinking that turning the AC on should in theory turn on both the engine and AC fans? If there is a fault in the AC side of the system, will it prevent the engine fan from operating with the AC on? I do know someone with AC gauges, so I can grab them and check the pressure in the system later today, but I'd think if it was low refrigerant, the engine fan should still be working, which suggests something electrical/electronic.

Some other potentially relevant information: the battery was dead, and the car was jumped to get it started. I read in the MDX forums that there is a fuse on the battery that can be blown that might cause similar symptoms, but as far as I can tell, the battery in my TSX doesn't seem to have a similar fuse.