2nd thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Normally my usual line would be what's your budget, because the TSX is clearly the best value for the money on that list. Sure, others on the list will out-perform a TSX in certain categories, but it comes with a cost. But if purchase price is not an issue...

I'd look at what your financial responsibility towards the car would be? When do you start paying your own gas, insurance, repair costs? Do you plan to own it for a long time or just drive it until the warranty runs out?

I ask for this reason: Being young and having choices is a great combination. Unless you are going to walk into a $100,000 entry-level job, you'll likely be on some kind of budget on your own (maybe not??). Anyway, more financially strapped you are to your toys, the fewer choices you'll have. A lot of things can happen to you - change in location, change of job, marital status, family, travel, etc. So would you trade feeding your disposable income into the fuel, insurance and maintenance of a BMW, or have some of that money to do other things and still drive a TSX?

I used to sell cars - sold a lot to young buyers. Can't tell you how many young buyers made huge mistakes because their eyes were bigger than their wallet. Even though you are not making the payments yourself, I'd recommend giving some thought to the total picture.

One last thought - you are getting a valuable head start in your post-college life. You, unlike a lot of college grads, get to begin life without a $600 car payment to worry about. If you wanted to settle into a 10-year commitment to really enjoy some car-payment free time, think of which car best suits that long-term ownership. If you just want to drive it hard for 4 years then move on, you might pick different.

The right car for you will be obvious at the end those questions. Good luck!
Old 11-08-2007, 06:43 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teomcdohl
...Audi A4. This is a really nice car, to be honest. For a 2.0 turbo, it was quick, and it was fun to drive. It seemed to have more pep than the Manual TSX....

I test drove an A4 2.0T with an MT before purchasing a TSX and had the opposite impression in terms of which car had more "pep". The 2.0T has a good deal more torque than the TSX motor, but the gearing is taller, which negated the Audi's torque advantage...
Old 11-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
I also like the idea of investing.

Take the cost of the car you pick, make a down payment of half, then invest the other half. If you look hard enough, you can probably find auto loans between 5-7%.

In any case, whatever you do, I also vote for CPO. Especially with a known reliable vehicle, a few miles on the odometer doesn't hurt and I think that the mileage outweighs the initial depreciation hit.

But that's just my opinion. :-)
Old 11-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Admiral Crunch

Originally Posted by thunder04
I also like the idea of investing.

Take the cost of the car you pick, make a down payment of half, then invest the other half. If you look hard enough, you can probably find auto loans between 5-7%.

In any case, whatever you do, I also vote for CPO. Especially with a known reliable vehicle, a few miles on the odometer doesn't hurt and I think that the mileage outweighs the initial depreciation hit.

But that's just my opinion. :-)
Hm, its an idea, and I appreciate your input.

I figure if I purchase the car outright, then I won't be paying any interest at all. If I have to pay 5-7% interest on x dollars, then the money I'm investing would have to make 5-7% interest or greater to break even.

On the other hand, if I pay the car off all at once, then any money I make in the future and that I'm saving (once I start working, and save money... I'm living at home for a year so I can save enough for a down payment on a house) I can earn 5% on a money market saving account - therefore I wouldn't have to pay interest, and I'd be earning money on my pay.

Thanks for your input. I'm leaning heavily to either a new TL-S or a pre-owned car.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think buying the car outright if you have that as an option i would def do that because you can save more money yourself and make out exactly like what you said. I think it would be pointless to only put down half the money and invest the other half when you can just go and get the car outright however, depends on the price of the car and the finance rate you would get too, so consider that.

You can get a TL-S for about $35k right now, quoted from my dealer and part of me still wants to trade in for it, but i have a lot of other things i need money for coming up. I am still under 10k miles on my TSX so it'd be stupid to do such a thing right now anyway but that is just me.

Its a very nice car, but honestly at your age, i think you would appreciate something else with more pep, like a turbo'd car. Don't get me wrong, the TL-S is fast but i think you'd like something else.....
Old 11-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Admiral Crunch

Originally Posted by jwood_06TSX
I think buying the car outright if you have that as an option i would def do that because you can save more money yourself and make out exactly like what you said. I think it would be pointless to only put down half the money and invest the other half when you can just go and get the car outright however, depends on the price of the car and the finance rate you would get too, so consider that.

You can get a TL-S for about $35k right now, quoted from my dealer and part of me still wants to trade in for it, but i have a lot of other things i need money for coming up. I am still under 10k miles on my TSX so it'd be stupid to do such a thing right now anyway but that is just me.

Its a very nice car, but honestly at your age, i think you would appreciate something else with more pep, like a turbo'd car. Don't get me wrong, the TL-S is fast but i think you'd like something else.....
Any suggestions as far as pep goes? The best features about the TL-S were:

Heavy body ... doors especially.
Nice sound system
Good torque
Roomy interior... TSX just seems cramped compared to the TL-S

I did drive the Audi A4, but I want something reliable, and from what I've heard the A4 is concerning reliability. If you have any suggestions for other cars I could look at, let me know!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Financing some of the car, if in your name, builds credit that's good when you want to finance a home. If you have NO installment loans on your credit record, only revolving credit, making regular, on-time car payments (even if you only finance $10K like I did) counts when you go shopping for a new installment, mortgage loan.

The TL is based on the American Accord. Have you looked at the 2008 Accords? Driven a certified 2005 Accord? You might like it better than the Euro-slim TSX....
Old 11-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice sound system
Good torque

I did drive the Audi A4, but I want something reliable, and from what I've heard the A4 is concerning reliability. If you have any suggestions for other cars I could look at, let me know!
The A4 is also tighter inside than the TSX, so if you think the TSX is too small, you shouldn't like the A4, either. And it has a tiny trunk IMO.

I, too, think you should drive an Accord. It'll have more room.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Nice sound system
Good torque

See i don't know what exactly your budget includes or is capped at or what. However, if i was looking for a brand new car between $25k-$30k i would look at:
TSX
Subaru WRX fully loaded with navi
Mazdaspeed3 and or speed6 now
Accord like the other gents suggested
I hate altima's but to each his own

If i was looking for cars in and around $30k-$38ish i would look at
TL-S
Infiniti G35/G37
Subaru Legacy GT (i like them a lot, take a look at those if they're within your budget)
honda s2000
The new Lancer EvoX looks sweet!!

I left out Audi because i'm just personally not a fan of them at all....again, these are just the cars i would look if i was in the market.

Based on what you said about the heavy body and storage, i would look at the new accords.....
Old 11-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget you're 22 and male. Unless your parents are going to cover all your expenses for quite a while, you might want to get quotes from your insurance company for each of your car choices. You don't have a job yet, so you have no idea what your actual budget will be, so you're going to need to look at more than just the "fun" quality of the cars.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by DemonPoofball
Don't forget you're 22 and male. Unless your parents are going to cover all your expenses for quite a while, you might want to get quotes from your insurance company for each of your car choices. You don't have a job yet, so you have no idea what your actual budget will be, so you're going to need to look at more than just the "fun" quality of the cars.

Very good point!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Admiral Crunch

Originally Posted by DemonPoofball
DemonPoofball, what a cool name. This is a really good point and I'm glad you brought it up. looks like this week I'll be getting insurance quotes. Thanks!