2008 Power Steering Rack Replacement - $1600?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 Power Steering Rack Replacement - $1600?

Hello friends,

I've been the happy and proud owner of a 2008 TSX MT (long time lurker here). A few days ago, I noticed a loud noise coming from the front passenger wheel area when turning. This happens when the car is cold and goes away after about 5 mins of run time. It's accompanied by some kickback in the steering - feels like PS is cutting out and in and gives the steering wheel some kick back to center.

Took it to my Acura dealer. They are one of the good ones - trusted and never set me wrong. I've bought three different Acuras from this dealer and always do service through them. They tell me it's a leaking rack, which has caused the pump to fail. So I need a new rack and pump, plus outer rods and as a result, new front tires. I'm staring down the barrel of about $2200 in repairs all up. Tires extra.

I have no reason to not trust them on this, but I'm feeling like there could be something else to be done. The rack is $1100 for the part, new Acura OEM. I had them look into sourcing a remanufactured rack, but they couldn't find any sources.

Doing some research here, I see a few things... seems like there's others who have had similar issues. I see the hose recall and I believe that was done - I'll verify tomorrow morning with the Service Dept. I also see TSB b10-025 which talks about replacing seals at about 4 hrs work. With some Googling, I found two remanufacured racks - Cardone has one for about $390 and there's a Maval for about $300. Both have core deposits as well.

So here's my question(s)... I am prepared to get the Acura repairs as I love my car and need it. I've got about 115K on it, it's paid (no car payment for last 16 months). But am I sheepish for taking their word? Can I ask to source my own rack and have them install it? It seems the rack really needs replacing since its sealed.

Thoughts guys? Options? I am frustrated for having such a major failure on a 4 year old Acura, but at the same time, it has 115K and nothing lasts forever.
The following users liked this post:
ayserk56 (01-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
We do get reports of rack failures here, though I wouldn't say it's common. I'd say a large part of the answer to your question would be: How long do you plan on keeping the car? Another 100K plus miles? If so, it might be worth your while to go with new Acura part. Or.... you could go with the re-manufactured unit and have a private shop install it. I don't doubt that would save you a lot of money, but it may not last as long as a new one. One note that may or may not impact your decision: you could (notice I didn't say will or should) have a clutch replacement hanging out there at any time. That's another 4 figure job, and as with the steering rack, it's a must do job. There's no finessing that whether you sell it or keep it. Are you the original owner? Those two jobs, plus tires, and you're easily staring at well over $4K in repairs.
ayserk56 (01-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the reply, Simba. I do plan to keep it. I rack miles up quickly, so I'm in the TSX for the long haul - 200K, which is about another 3 years. As for clutch, yes - I know that is lurking, but I'm guessing another 30K or so. Most of my driving is highway distance driving, and I'm gentle with the car. Of course, you never know...

I appreciate your advice. I do plan to do it no matter what. Likely I'll go with the Acura rack anyway as I do plan to keep the car. I made a mistake years ago to save money on a timing belt on my Integra. Went to a local garage. 6 months later, the belt slipped a tooth and I ended up paying another $700 to get it fixed. Saving a little now can cost more later.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
For this level of repair, a 2nd opinion is indicated. Find a good, independent repair shop that specializes in Acura/Honda repairs.

If you have an
Angie's list subscription, do a search. Worth the $40 investment to find a good shop for 2nd opinion.

A used rack runs < $200 and you should be able to find one near your zip code. Check car-part.com.

good luck
Old 03-03-2012, 10:34 PM
still plays with cars

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go with a reman rack and an independent H/A shop in an attempt to cut costs.
Chances are the reman rack will last the life of the car. Problems with the original ones are few, and you just happened to draw the short straw.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by datadr
Thanks for the reply, Simba. I do plan to keep it. I rack miles up quickly, so I'm in the TSX for the long haul - 200K, which is about another 3 years. As for clutch, yes - I know that is lurking, but I'm guessing another 30K or so. Most of my driving is highway distance driving, and I'm gentle with the car. Of course, you never know...

I appreciate your advice. I do plan to do it no matter what. Likely I'll go with the Acura rack anyway as I do plan to keep the car. I made a mistake years ago to save money on a timing belt on my Integra. Went to a local garage. 6 months later, the belt slipped a tooth and I ended up paying another $700 to get it fixed. Saving a little now can cost more later.

All good posts, with opinions and advice that run the gambit (which is why you asked for input to begin with). And, the bottom line is you're kind of right back we're you started. If you're willing to spend the extra money, based on your plan, I'd go ahead and have the dealer do it. They'll always be there, and since it sounds like you have a good one (dealer), I'd assume they'll stand behind their work.

You might want to contact Acura customer service and ask if they would consider picking up at least some of the tab, the cost of the rack for instance, since the OE one is obviously defective (although I would certainly start that conversation with a request for full compensation). Your mileage might be above average, but the car is only 4 years old and I'm of the opinion that the steering rack should last the life of the car (and it doesn't cost anything to ask).
ayserk56 (01-03-2014)
Old 03-04-2012, 03:59 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts

Never had to replace the clutch in the numerous manual transmission we have owned. They have gone over 100K and some over 200K miles. Hopefully we will continue with the good luck.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Hello friends,

I've been the happy and proud owner of a 2008 TSX MT (long time lurker here). A few days ago, I noticed a loud noise coming from the front passenger wheel area when turning. This happens when the car is cold and goes away after about 5 mins of run time. It's accompanied by some kickback in the steering - feels like PS is cutting out and in and gives the steering wheel some kick back to center.

Took it to my Acura dealer. They are one of the good ones - trusted and never set me wrong. I've bought three different Acuras from this dealer and always do service through them. They tell me it's a leaking rack, which has caused the pump to fail. So I need a new rack and pump, plus outer rods and as a result, new front tires. I'm staring down the barrel of about $2200 in repairs all up. Tires extra.

I have no reason to not trust them on this, but I'm feeling like there could be something else to be done. The rack is $1100 for the part, new Acura OEM. I had them look into sourcing a remanufactured rack, but they couldn't find any sources.

Doing some research here, I see a few things... seems like there's others who have had similar issues. I see the hose recall and I believe that was done - I'll verify tomorrow morning with the Service Dept. I also see TSB b10-025 which talks about replacing seals at about 4 hrs work. With some Googling, I found two remanufacured racks - Cardone has one for about $390 and there's a Maval for about $300. Both have core deposits as well.

So here's my question(s)... I am prepared to get the Acura repairs as I love my car and need it. I've got about 115K on it, it's paid (no car payment for last 16 months). But am I sheepish for taking their word? Can I ask to source my own rack and have them install it? It seems the rack really needs replacing since its sealed.

Thoughts guys? Options? I am frustrated for having such a major failure on a 4 year old Acura, but at the same time, it has 115K and nothing lasts forever.
It's rather interesting that you are having this problem as I literally just made this same decision last Friday and actually picked my car up from the dealership today. I took my car in for an oil change last Thursday and learned my rack and pinion was leaking an needed to be replaced. AAA quoted me $1415 for the repair w/ a re-maned rack and another $75 for an alignment. I proceeded to shop around at 2 local dealerships and got a quote for $1748 from one dealer and $1953 from another. I searched online and found the rack fro $783 (part # 53601-SEC-A07). Book time to replace the rack was 5 hours and I found a dealer who charged me $800 for the rack. To save you time, Del Ray Acura in FL as well as the Acura dealership in Duluth, GA have the part listed at $816.99 and a dealer in AZ is who had the rack for $783, although I do not remember the name of the actual dealership. My total before the alignment was $1358, from a Crown Acura of Greensboro, NC. My car is a 2006 w/ 130k on the clock and I too drive a great deal, anywhere between 600-900 miles a week.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Fortunately on my '08 the rack was replaced under warranty at about 36K miles. OP sure does alot of highway driving but I suppose that is better than alot of city driving. Good luck with Acura CS - maybe being a loyal customer will help.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Instructor

Ended Up Replacing It...

Thanks for the replies and good information/feedback. I ended up working with the dealer and they cut me a discount on it. I did the rack and the alignment. Since the pump seemed fine after topping off the fluid, I figure I'll wait that one out.

All in it was about $1800 with the alignment and a synthetic oil change. Painful, but since it's the only money (besides typical maint) I've put in it, and no payments for the last 18 months, I really can't complain. The dealership worked with me on it.

Again, thanks everyone. Here's to another 100K trouble free!
Old 02-10-2013, 11:24 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was quoted $1,890CDN for mine at Acura. On repairpal.com the average for this job is $600-1,400US. So tomorrow I'm gonna take it to a indie shop to see what they say.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by lief
I was quoted $1,890CDN for mine at Acura. On repairpal.com the average for this job is $600-1,400US. So tomorrow I'm gonna take it to a indie shop to see what they say.
Turned out to be just a left inner tie rod - $56 part+160 labour!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:13 PM
2nd Gear

Hello, I realize this is an old thread but I'm having the exact same problem here. I just took my 2004 TSX to the dealer after finding that all power steering fluid was gone. It turns out that I need a new power steering rack. The dealer is quoting $2,600 (includes alignment) which seems to be way more than what I've seen others in this forum pay. I called another dealer and they quoted $2,250 or $2,700 if I want new rods as well. Also, the second dealer told me they use remanufactured racks (unless I want new rods, in which case the whole rack is new).

The car has 97,000 miles and I plan on keeping it for maybe 2 more years (probably no more than 30k miles more).

I'm in Washington DC, where everything seems to be more expensive, but I don't know whether these quotes are way off.. .any advice?

ps: I'm also having the common center console lights out problem, for which I was quoted $450 to repair (replace the board) at the dealer.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:29 PM
5th Gear

My apology for the quick highjack

Originally Posted by nesten00

ps: I'm also having the common center console lights out problem, for which I was quoted $450 to repair (replace the board) at the dealer.
nesten00

If your handy you could you could diy.

You'll need Printed Circuit Board:list price $102.53 to $140.78 and some local dealers want a $500 to $1000 core deposit. Check the link:
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...1=&inputstate=
$76.90 and their core deposit is $125 plus add $5 handling charge $20+/- shipping: $225+/-

Here's the instructions how to replace the Printed Circuit Board: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26104571/B04-021.pdf

You'll also need Anti-static ESD kit, like this one and it's cheapest I found:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290829234431...84.m1423.l2649
but you could buy one from RadioShack for $35+.

Overall upfront your looking at $245 and after returning the core $120+/-.

It sure better then $450.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:44 PM
2nd Gear

Hi All,

I wanted to post a reply to thank you all for this discussion. I'm glad I reviewed it before I proceeded to repair my 2005 TSX.

On a routine oil change appt, the dealership told me I have some fluid leak in the power steering. After further inspection, I was told that the leak is also in the rack. The initial quote was about $2600 to include a new rack, pump, alignment. I decided to research online and found this post. I noticed how Acura was able to chip in on part of the cost, so I decided to go for it and ask (got nothing to lose). I asked the service dept rep to contact Acura and ask if they could help in this issue, since many TSX's had this same issue (thanks to your posts!). about a week later the rep emailed me to let me know that Acura agreed to pay part of the repair, dropping the total costs (with tax) to $1765. I agreed to do it.

Well, I picked up my car today, and the total came out even lower, as the rep over estimated the labor fees.

my walkout price was $1360 (new rack, pump, labor, tax). pretty good deal.

Thanks again. I hope this posts helps others in such problem.

Ayser
Old 01-03-2014, 03:49 PM
2nd Gear

Quick notes that I missed to add:

2005 / TSX - 115K miles
2nd Owner - bought it certified from the same dealership that repaired it.

The rep did mention that Acura typically decline any assistance for cars over 100K, unless the car is 1 or 2 owner, and was purchased certified. again, there's nothing to lose in asking.