2006 TSX audio

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
2006 TSX audio

I have finally had it with my '06 TSX stereo sound. It is not loud enough. The road noise on the '06 TSX is loud and I can hardly hear the music once I get up to speed on the highway. I don't want to replace the stereo unit in the dash. I want to keep the clean look. I just don't want to ruin the look with an out of place looking after market head unit. When you do turn it up loud enough to hear, the bass just goes away. Can I achieve louder sound and more bass by adding an amplifier and 2 Infinity 6x9s in the back dash? If not, I will take any suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:57 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Dude...you just look under FAQ's and select Audio and Navigation...
Old 08-26-2009, 06:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
First add a dynamat-like material to all four doors. It helped my situation of dealing with road noise.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our michelin stocks are noisy. i found the bridgestone serenity cut the road noise to half if you prefer less noise than louder stereo.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:14 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Before you dynamat the doors, read this:

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/noise-reduction-using-raammat-bxt-06-tsx-678928/

I did RAAMmat on the outer skins of the doors and on the inside. Total was a -3db noise reduction. In real-world terms, find a radio frequency that's just static and get the volume somewhat loud. Reduce the volume by one click - that's -3db. It's a good 3-4 hr job. However, I did it in conjunction with replacing the four door speakers (Infiniti 6012).

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=278849&page=3

See page 3, post 114. I've been very pleased with the two in combination. The car is still noisy, but even replacing the 4 door speakers improved the clarity quite a bit. The RAAMmat seals the doors so they become better speaker enclosures. Bass response is improved. The stock amp seems to drive them well enough, but I rarely go past 11 or 12 playing a CD.

So I say if you're going to pull the doors off to do dynamat, do the speakers too. If you check out that audio thread, there is a picture of the stock speaker. The magnet is the size of a small stack of quarters. Pathetic.

I also put in some undercoating in the wheel wells and under some of the car. Another -3db. So I've concluded that short of pulling the interior and going with some serious sound deadening material (which is heavy), tires will make the most difference. That's nex ton my list, but I have to wait for the stupid Michelins to wear out a bit more. They are clearly a hard tire, which explains the noise.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:18 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by skipreid
I have finally had it with my '06 TSX stereo sound. It is not loud enough. The road noise on the '06 TSX is loud and I can hardly hear the music once I get up to speed on the highway. I don't want to replace the stereo unit in the dash. I want to keep the clean look. I just don't want to ruin the look with an out of place looking after market head unit. When you do turn it up loud enough to hear, the bass just goes away. Can I achieve louder sound and more bass by adding an amplifier and 2 Infinity 6x9s in the back dash? If not, I will take any suggestions.

Thanks.
Should have read you original question.

I think if you do the rear 6x9 over the doors, you're still left with crappy door speakers. They are really bad. My mod was less than $300 in parts and like I said, I'm very pleased (but I don't listen to insane volume either). I still run the stock 6x9's and the stock amp. Doing all six would probably set you up nicely.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i have 2 12" alpine type R subs in my trunk, i found no need for dynamat because I dont hear any rattling besides my rear license plate, which i fixed by taping a piece of foam paper on the back, I have considered gettin aftermarket speakers for the interior but have not go to it yet, I would reccomend you get new tires (only if you need to) and get speakers, i am a huge fan of alpine so thats what i would get, an amp would def help sound quality
Old 09-10-2009, 05:43 PM
for EVER more!

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Before you dynamat the doors, read this:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678928

I did RAAMmat on the outer skins of the doors and on the inside. Total was a -3db noise reduction. In real-world terms, find a radio frequency that's just static and get the volume somewhat loud. Reduce the volume by one click - that's -3db. It's a good 3-4 hr job. However, I did it in conjunction with replacing the four door speakers (Infiniti 6012).
Be careful, Infinity 6032 cf's are 2 ohms and won't work with the stock amp. (Painful experience) - you're looking for 4 ohms - i have Alpine Type S - sound great!
Old 09-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Intermediate

I put in a full alpine system. 2 PDX amps, all six speakers replaced with Type R's. Type R 12" Sub, 12 gauge speaker wire and dynamat most of the car and i still hear some road noise until you turn then HOLY CRAP its not withstand able.

If you looking for cheap up grades look at just replacing all you stock speakers, (Alpine type S good bang for buck) But dont forget after market speakers are not designed for bass since there meant to be combined with a sub. so Bass = Sub, Clarity = Speakers
Old 04-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been doing some research on some speakers lately, I have a 12" alpine r-type and was thinking about replacing my stock speakers with r-type speakers or some type of alpine. But after reading these forums more it seems like not many people have them. What would be some good quality speakers to put in?
Btw my doors and trunk have been dynamated already
Old 04-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Intermediate

like i say I did TYPE R's all the way around and LOVE them. there are probly cheaper brands out there but I have never had a problem with Alpine and MTX (Same manufacture for speakers/subs). so I just stuck to what I know. I had to do some slight modifications for the door speakers but nothing too crazy and the components in the front fit nice.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thecrazytrains
I've been doing some research on some speakers lately, I have a 12" alpine r-type and was thinking about replacing my stock speakers with r-type speakers or some type of alpine. But after reading these forums more it seems like not many people have them. What would be some good quality speakers to put in?
Btw my doors and trunk have been dynamated already
what has been your experience with the dynamat?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:40 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure which part you mean exactly but I'll try to answer the best I can.

Qualitywise, I was quite pleased with, got rid of the majority of rattles I had and made the doors sound more solid when opening and closing. I'd say worth the price.

Installing it wasn't bad either, its just timely. Popping the interior panels off the was quick. Cutting the right size piece and making sure it went on smooth took some time though. After doing the drunk and a few other spots I decided to ask the person installing my tints and intake to finish the doors for me. The only thing I would have done different was wear gloves. The foil they use turned out to be fairly sharp