2006 TSX - 90k miles - General Tune-up and Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:00 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 TSX - 90k miles - General Tune-up and Maintenance

Hey All,

Proud owner of a 2006 TSX with ~90k miles.

To date, the car has been very good to me with no major issues aside from the usual (brakes, rotors, tires, alignments, etc).

As of late, I've been yearning for a little more pep from the engine. Seems to be just a little sluggish. Runs pretty smooth, but not as silky smooth and snappy as I'd like.

My question is, what tune ups should I do to maximize and improve the car?

- AT was drained and filled at 80k
- Brake fluid was flushed at 80k
- Engine filter changed yearly

I have not done:
- Coolant
- Power Steering
- Spark Plugs
- Timing Belt

I have also not been very diligent with fueling with 91+ octane. Would that be a good starting place?

What would people recommend over the next 5-10k miles, and in what order?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Intermediate

The TSX has a timing chain, but it is still a good idea to check out the chain guides when you have the valves adjusted.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:35 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Blindeye_03
when you have the valves adjusted.
If you don't mind, tell me more about this? At what mileage, cost, etc.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Intermediate

I would say generally at 100k miles? I did this on my 2008 s2000 (car I just sold) at 80k miles and my exhaust valves were out of spec (tight) and some of my intake valves were out of spec (loose).

Here is a diy for our cars:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...djustment.html

My 2004 tsx is at 127k miles and I am fairly certain that the valves have yet to be adjusted. As far as cost, I have no idea...I have always purchased the feeler gauges and tool to do it myself. It is fairly easy but I can understand apprehension to doing maintenance like this. I dont yet have the shop manual that I ordered...when USPS figures out where it is I can probably give a better answer on price (if it gives hour figures).

Last edited by Blindeye_03; 02-20-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by marcoesquandolas
Hey All,

Proud owner of a 2006 TSX with ~90k miles.

To date, the car has been very good to me with no major issues aside from the usual (brakes, rotors, tires, alignments, etc).

As of late, I've been yearning for a little more pep from the engine. Seems to be just a little sluggish. Runs pretty smooth, but not as silky smooth and snappy as I'd like.

My question is, what tune ups should I do to maximize and improve the car?

- AT was drained and filled at 80k
- Brake fluid was flushed at 80k
- Engine filter changed yearly

I have not done:
- Coolant
- Power Steering
- Spark Plugs
- Timing Belt

I have also not been very diligent with fueling with 91+ octane. Would that be a good starting place?

What would people recommend over the next 5-10k miles, and in what order?
Your car has the maintenance minder right? That should tell you what and when you need to do for most items (as does the owner's manual). It doesn't include brake fluid changes (the interval is every 3 years, regardless of mileage). Coolant is included (code for that is 5) and you're past the interval for that (it's 6 years or 120K miles). The interval for spark plugs (also code 5) and valve adjustment is 105K miles. There's no timing belt, and no interval for the serpentine belt or PS fluid, though if you had the PS recall done, the fluid was most likely replaced then (the actual recall notice does not include a fluid change). Your car is 8 years old. I'd recommend a coolant change, air and cabin filters, and a battery, if it's over like 4 years old (please don't tell us that you still have the OE battery). The spark plugs are pretty bulletproof (I've changed them at 105K miles in two TSX's. Thanks to all highway miles, they still looked good and I didn't notice any change (improvement) in mileage or performance. Same with the valve adjustment (which isn't cheap to have done). You can easily get estimates for that work by making a phone call.
The following users liked this post:
marcoesquandolas (02-21-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 06:16 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
In my experience a valve adjustment is not needed at 100K miles. I've done valve adjustments on two cars both at around 100K miles. The adjustments were very minor and some of the valve lash were still in good specs. I'd say wait until 150K - 175K miles to start worrying about doing a valve adjustment.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:47 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,193 Posts
I did my 100,000 mile tune-up a few months ago (valve adjustment and spark plugs mainly). I hear what you are saying about the TSX feeling a little sluggish because that was how my TSX felt before the tune-up. I think the tune-up got all of my 205 horses back running again. I had a slight improvement in mpgs and the ole "butt dyno" feels more "pep in her step" afterwards. My engine is stock with only a K/N drop-in filter and Mobil 1 oil since purchase.

I think the best bang for the buck would be Hondata reflash for $300+shipping after the spark plug change.

http://www.hondata.com/reflash_tsx_06.html
Old 02-21-2014, 10:09 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Your car has the maintenance minder right? That should tell you what and when you need to do for most items (as does the owner's manual). It doesn't include brake fluid changes (the interval is every 3 years, regardless of mileage). Coolant is included (code for that is 5) and you're past the interval for that (it's 6 years or 120K miles). The interval for spark plugs (also code 5) and valve adjustment is 105K miles. There's no timing belt, and no interval for the serpentine belt or PS fluid, though if you had the PS recall done, the fluid was most likely replaced then (the actual recall notice does not include a fluid change). Your car is 8 years old. I'd recommend a coolant change, air and cabin filters, and a battery, if it's over like 4 years old (please don't tell us that you still have the OE battery). The spark plugs are pretty bulletproof (I've changed them at 105K miles in two TSX's. Thanks to all highway miles, they still looked good and I didn't notice any change (improvement) in mileage or performance. Same with the valve adjustment (which isn't cheap to have done). You can easily get estimates for that work by making a phone call.

Thanks for the info!

I believe the car has the maintenance minder, at least it does the oil life.

Brake fluid was changed not too long ago (~year ago)

I was told PS fluid was not changed with the PS recall.

I've swapped out the filters every year or so and I'm on the second battery.

I think I'm going to try and target Coolant, Spark Plugs, and PS Fluid.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Intermediate

Yeah dont change your spark plugs or check your valves if you dont care about the car. Just because one car didnt need the valves to be adjusted doesnt mean every car is the same. But its your car do with it what you want. Do whats "required" or go above and beyond to ensure your car will last a long time.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:50 AM
10th Gear

Yeah dont change your spark plugs or check your valves if you dont care about the car.
Is this to mean "change your spark plugs [and] check your valves if you care about the car"?

I certainly car about it, that's why I'm asking the q's.

If I took it to the dealer/mechanic and said "check the valves", is that's all that I'd need to do...and then go from there?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Intermediate

That was in reply of the person saying not to check them till 170k miles.

I would ask to have the valves checked/adjusted. I adjusted the valves on my 03 civic si at 105k miles and my 08 s2000 at 80k. Both were slightly out of spec.

The 04 tsx I have is at 127k and needs to have it done soon. I have the spark plugs ready to go.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Both were slightly out of spec.
This is why I suggested that it's not needed. Like I said before, I've adjusted two TSX's at 100K miles and they were slightly out of spec. Nothing was out of spec to the point where it was a serious issue. Yes it's a good thing to do it...if you know how to do it yourself. Paying to just check valve lash is the same thing as paying to adjust valve lash.

Your SI and S2K are high revving engines. If all the OP have been doing is daily the car to get groceries and go to work, no need to worry about valve lash on a TSX that has a lower rev limit. Other wise if it's that serious at 100K miles, won't you think this maintenance would be more pronounced?

Last edited by mdkxtreme; 02-21-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
This is why I suggested that it's not needed. Like I said before, I've adjusted two TSX's at 100K miles and they were slightly out of spec. Nothing was out of spec to the point where it was a serious issue. Yes it's a good thing to do it...if you know how to do it yourself. Paying to just check valve lash is the same thing as paying to adjust valve lash.

Your SI and S2K are high revving engines. If all the OP have been doing is daily the car to get groceries and go to work, no need to worry about valve lash on a TSX that has a lower rev limit. Other wise if it's that serious at 100K miles, won't you think this maintenance would be more pronounced?
Two points. I was wrong about 2 things as far as the the maintenance codes go. Code #4 is for spark plugs and valve clearance, and should pop up around 100K-105K miles. Code #5 is for coolant, and should pop up at around 6 years or 120K miles (all of the above did on the 07). Also, I'm inclined to agree with the suggestion to hold on off on the valve adjustment unless they're noisy. Though Honda recommends having it done at 105K, if you read between the lines of the whole maintenance schedule, basically, you're OK as long as you don't hear them. That's really the test that they use. I had it done on schedule to the 05, though I think now it didn't need to be done. The 07 was done at 186K, and they were quiet then to, but the car was in the shop for a number of items, and I decided what the heck, I'd have them do it.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:01 PM
El Cunado

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
+1 to coolant
+1 to spark plugs

Valve Adjustment - I had one done one month ago while in for a failed coil. It cost me $400 at Frankel Acura in Cockeysville, MD. I figured "what the hell, it's here anyway and I don't think I'd do it". Hopefully, it helps keep the engine 'proper' for another several years.

If you're looking for added-pep, the Hondata Reflash and a cold-air-intake could be what you're looking for.