08 TSX MP3 CD Player

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 TSX MP3 CD Player

Have we confirmed either way yet that this feature does or does not exist in the 08's?? I've looked over 2 threads on this and we have one person in each saying it works in their 08 and multiple people saying it doesn't in their 08's.

Whats the final ruling??

Stephen
Old 09-24-2007, 12:31 PM
I can't find my garage

only way to find out is for u to go buy one. lol or at least take a disc to a dealer and play it. i would soo go and check out the 08 in and out but my dealers around here are still loaded with 07's
Old 09-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by slammers
Have we confirmed either way yet that this feature does or does not exist in the 08's?? I've looked over 2 threads on this and we have one person in each saying it works in their 08 and multiple people saying it doesn't in their 08's.

Whats the final ruling??

Stephen

Stephen,

Go here. There's a thread on it I've been writing in.
http://www..com/forums/showthread.ph...&highlight=mp3

I got my 2008 on Saturday and from reading the brochure thought that the 6 Disc CD Changer plays MP3, because the brochure SAYS it does. I got it home, burned a CD with like 88 MP3s on it, stuck it in, and it wouldn't play them. It's a misprint. It does not. Acura is being very unhelpful about it and said it was an error and they are covered by their "clause" at the end of the 2008 brochure that says things can change, or be misprinted, and they are not responsible. What they SHOULD do is give people who got 2008 a free I-Pod Nanos(at LEAST) to make up for their error. My friend has a Scion which costs $10K less and I stuck the MP3 CD I made into his cd player in his car and it played the MP3s. If you're interested into trying to get Acura to like acknowledge and get us Ipods let me know. I was totally pissed about how no one knew what I was talking about when I called them and when the regional guy called me back pretty much was like "Sorry, nothing we can do, we've covered." I had an RSX and now the TSX. My next car won't be an Acura if they don't stop being so cheap and not wanting to get us like a $200 item to make up for their big screw up.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:26 PM
B A N N E D

i have an o8
mine plays mp3's
Old 09-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
MY 06 plays mp3's wonderfully, but I had the hindsight to order the option player.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 925tsx
i have an o8
mine plays mp3's
Do you have the MP3 Player additional drive or the 6 Disc CD Changer? If you have the 6 Disc CD Changer, are you burning the CD as like a data MP3 CD or as an audio CD?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Banned

I'm sure they're burning audio CDs sourced from mp3s and not true data CDs. If you click the big clumsy Audio CD icon in your favorite CD burning program it defaults to an ordinary audio CD. Thanks to napster everyone and their grandma has a folder of stolen mp3s but that's usualy where their knowledge of such concepts stops.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wackura
I'm sure they're burning audio CDs sourced from mp3s and not true data CDs. If you click the big clumsy Audio CD icon in your favorite CD burning program it defaults to an ordinary audio CD. Thanks to napster everyone and their grandma has a folder of stolen mp3s but that's usualy where their knowledge of such concepts stops.
Yeah, what I'm thinking too. MP3 CDs are CDs with MP3s on them, not Audio CDs that were made from MP3 files.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
... or just have a PC Card flash card slot or something that you can put your flash media in, like the Civic Hybrid with Navi.

My XM Radio trial just died (2 months and 2 weeks into it ), so I'm just hooking up my XM Inno player to the AUX jack. I don't really burn a lot of MP3 data discs, but YMMVAPD.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Instructor

My 08 plays mp3's just fine in all six disk slots.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by timd38
My 08 plays mp3's just fine in all six disk slots.
I have a feeling they're not MP3s CDs. Maybe you had MP3s and burned them onto a CD as an Audio CD. If you take one of those CDs out of your car, put it into your computer, then right click on the CD drive and do Explore. If it lists all the files as MP3s something like this songname.mp3 then the CD is burned as a data CD with MP3s. If i lists them as audio files, it's an audio CD. How many songs does each CD have on it about? If it's burned as an MP3 data cd, you can fit like 100 or more songs on it. If it has like 12-20, it's most likely a Audio CD that your computer converted the MP3s into Audio CD files when it burned them.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Banned

Pay no attention to that guy. He just says things to try to make others envious of him.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:18 PM
I can't find my garage

this whole topic is -_-
Old 09-28-2007, 12:11 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
100 or so MP3's on the CD = Then perhaps 08 plays mp3 cds.

12-20 MP3's burned to CD = Nero probably just converted your MP3 to a Music CD format.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KidQwik
I have a feeling they're not MP3s CDs. Maybe you had MP3s and burned them onto a CD as an Audio CD. If you take one of those CDs out of your car, put it into your computer, then right click on the CD drive and do Explore. If it lists all the files as MP3s something like this songname.mp3 then the CD is burned as a data CD with MP3s. If i lists them as audio files, it's an audio CD. How many songs does each CD have on it about? If it's burned as an MP3 data cd, you can fit like 100 or more songs on it. If it has like 12-20, it's most likely a Audio CD that your computer converted the MP3s into Audio CD files when it burned them.
I have 108 on one CD and they show up as mp3. I used Magix MP3 Maker 10 deluxe.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by xenonhid
100 or so MP3's on the CD = Then perhaps 08 plays mp3 cds.

12-20 MP3's burned to CD = Nero probably just converted your MP3 to a Music CD format.
I'm guessing he's the second one. The MP3 CD I made didn't play in my TSX but played in my friend's Scion. All 88 songs worth. I've been researching stuff about this "misprint" and there's even places that have reviewed the 08 TSX and taken the info from te Brochure where it says the 6 Disc CD Changer plays MP3s. Some sites are like "we're not quite sure if it is supposed to play MP3s or not" because of the type. Acura really screwed up on this one as apparent not only in customers not getting what they thought they paid for and wondering why it's not working but also companies that have reviewed the car going by what Acura printed in in the brochure. Hell. Even Honda says the CD Changer does MP3s!
http://corporate.honda.com/press/article.aspx?id=4222
Here's some of the sites that say it plays MP3s with the 6 Disc Changer or aren't sure:
http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2008-a...-32510244.html
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...cura-tsx-5.htm
Old 09-28-2007, 08:14 AM

Remember guys, that you probably have to close the session (which means finishing the CD so you can't write more to it) for most consumer audio MP3-playing devices.

I wouldn't take that CNET review seriously. In discussing the AUX input, they said, "We also looked in vain for a passthrough for the cord but had to close the lid on the cord to keep the phone accessible." Uh, any child could find that. Unless they've changed armrests in the 2008 MY. Also, "Acura does now include an auxiliary audio input in the center console, which did play music off our phone easily but didn't display any track info" is a newbie brain-fart. Only the most naive about audio and CE devices asks, "if I plug my MP3 player in with a stereo audio cord, does it show track info on the hi-fi?" Duh.

I'm disappointed that some materials and reviews say "MP3 capability" but then in the fine print refer to the AUX jack. You can play ANYTHING through that, the AUX jack is not "Windows Media and MP3 capable." Very misleading.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by davidspalding
Remember guys, that you probably have to close the session (which means finishing the CD so you can't write more to it) for most consumer audio MP3-playing devices.

I wouldn't take that CNET review seriously. In discussing the AUX input, they said, "We also looked in vain for a passthrough for the cord but had to close the lid on the cord to keep the phone accessible." Uh, any child could find that. Unless they've changed armrests in the 2008 MY. Also, "Acura does now include an auxiliary audio input in the center console, which did play music off our phone easily but didn't display any track info" is a newbie brain-fart. Only the most naive about audio and CE devices asks, "if I plug my MP3 player in with a stereo audio cord, does it show track info on the hi-fi?" Duh.

I'm disappointed that some materials and reviews say "MP3 capability" but then in the fine print refer to the AUX jack. You can play ANYTHING through that, the AUX jack is not "Windows Media and MP3 capable." Very misleading.
I'm going to triple check what I did when making two MP3 data CDs to see if I missed anything. I've only made hundreds of data CDs in my life though and I always close them because they're so cheap and disposable at this point. CD I made the other days was typical Windows Explorer drag and drop files into the CD from the desktop deal. CD I made today with Nero Express I actually tried something different in the burning options called I think Audio Jukebox that says it will play in CD Players, etc that support WMA, ACC, MP3, etc. Same deal as with the regular Data CD when I stick it in: Loads the disc, then says I think T 01 in the right corner of the cd display screen, ,nothing play, and you can't advance forward or back past track 1. It's not giving me an error message either sooooo. Any ideas? I mean I would think it would at least give me an error message if it couldn't read the disc as anything, right?
Old 09-28-2007, 10:44 AM

I had the same experience (stalled at T-01) with a ten year old CD-R disc full of MP3s, which plays fine in my Yamaha DVDS-550 (cheap) home player. The fact that your disc played in your friend's Scion is enough evidence for me ... the "premium" Pioneer audio system in the TSX is pretty low-drawer, no arguing that.

I doubt they'd buy us iPods or anything, but it is a clear case of misleading advertising. Curious, does your owner manual claim that you can play MP3 CD-Rs, and what else does it say?
Old 09-28-2007, 11:01 AM

^ Oh, here's the manual. The copy I just downloaded (updated 7/2007) only mentions MP3s on page 184, in reference to ... the AUX jack. X2
Old 09-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Advanced

^ Oh, here's the manual. The copy I just downloaded (updated 7/2007) only mentions MP3s on page 184, in reference to ... the AUX jack. X2
I scanned(with the crappy B&W scanner at work) the part of 08 TSX Brochure that specifically says the 6 Disc CD Changer plays MP3s. The more places I read online about the MP3 error, look at the brochure which mislead me, and the way the guy at Acura Customer care responded to me the more mad I've become. Check out the brochure. I circled it in red:

http://home.comcast.net/~kidqwik/tsx/tsxbrochure.jpg
Old 09-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Banned

That's not misleading advertising, it's an outright lie. Even though there is no such thing as an "mp3 formatted disk" there is a such thing as "mp3 formatted files on a disk" and that is clearly implied.

What's also amazing is that they have the nerve to point out that the mp3 player you plug into the AUX jack can be "COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS MEDIA AUDIO (WMA)" as if that's somehow a feature. It's just an AUX jack, you could plug a phonograph into it, or, as the case may be, a portable CD player that actualy plays MP3 CDs.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Advanced

That's not misleading advertising, it's an outright lie. Even though there is no such thing as an "mp3 formatted disk" there is a such thing as "mp3 formatted files on a disk" and that is clearly implied.

What's also amazing is that they have the nerve to point out that the mp3 player you plug into the AUX jack can be "COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS MEDIA AUDIO (WMA)" as if that's somehow a feature. It's just an AUX jack, you could plug a phonograph into it, or, as the case may be, a portable CD player that actualy plays MP3 CDs.
Yeah, exactly. There is one of two ways, there is just one of one way to listen to MP3s and it's if you have an Ipod or anything that has a headphone mini jack that you connect the other side of the cable through the Aux jack in the car and press play on the device.

I have like a Gen 2 Ipod that has one of those faulty batteries that doesn't charge all the way, etc. I stopped listening to it because I found myself putting the volume to high on the subway in NYC to block out those sounds which isn't really good for your hearing. I dusted it off and tried to charge it and it won't even hold half a charge now. The whole idea of getting a car with a 6 Disc Changer that plays MP3s was to stop cluttering CDs all over my car and to not have to buy a new Ipod to achieve this. Also I'd then be able to control listening to the CDs through the steering wheel and/or radio and not have to try to drive and try to play with an Ipod to select songs at the same time. This is false advertising especially if Acura doesn't want to make up for their screw up. What they should do is 1) Give the people who got 08s Ipods and 2) Get us USA Spec adaptors that the Ipod can be connected so that it can be controlled from the steering wheel or dashboard radio controls. This is what some of us thought we were paying for... To brush us off as "not our problem, we're covered legally for our screw up, sorry" for a mere like $300 fix (Ipod and USA Spec) isn't right. I'm going to pursue this one further so if anyone wants to help join in, send me a PM or something. This is if you have an 08.. Me so pissed.. Grrr...
Old 09-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Banned

I'm no lawyer but I'm surprised they can dodge false advertising by puting "this whole thing may be a huge lie" in small letters on the brochure.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Advanced

I'm no lawyer but I'm surprised they can dodge false advertising by puting "this whole thing may be a huge lie" in small letters on the brochure.

Here's what it says on Honda's corporate website about the description of the TSX from 9/12/2007. Note the mention of MP3 with the CD 6 Disc Changer... And seperate mention of the auxillary cable.

INTERIOR AT-A-GLANCE

Cockpit designed for performance driving
Roomy interior with seating for five
60/40 locking split-folding rear seatback
A high level of interior finish, including a "seamless" front passenger airbag cover that blends into the instrument panel
Large, easy-to-read LED backlit analog instruments
Blue LED ambient lighting
Small-diameter, leather-wrapped 3-spoke steering wheel with tilt and telescope
Leather-trimmed seats
Supportive, performance-oriented front bucket seats
8-way power driver's seat with adjustable lumbar support for superior comfort and 2-position memory
4-way power adjustable passenger seat
Comprehensive safety features including side curtain airbags (see the Safety section for information on all TSX safety features)
Comprehensive luxury features, including automatic dual-zone climate control system, power windows, power door mirrors, and keyless entry system
8-speaker, 360-watt Acura Premium Sound System with 6-disc in-dash CD changer and MP3
XM® Satellite Radio
Digital media auxiliary jack
Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® wireless phone connectivity
HomeLink® remote control system
Keyless entry system with window controls, panic button and entry callback chirp
The Multi-Information Display on instrument panel
Available Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™

Here's CNET's "we're puzzled and confusion" blurb about the MP3 thing saying they weren't sure if it was supposed to play MP3s and then coming to the conclusion in doesn't with no help from Acura:

Lack of support for MP3 discs is a baffling exclusion.

We found the audio system generally pedestrian in features and sound quality. An in-dash six-disc changer is nice but nothing out of the ordinary, except that most other manufacturers' now play MP3 discs. We frankly weren't entirely sure whether the TSX was even supposed to play MP3 discs, as little mention is made of them anywhere in the manuals or press materials. Again referencing online forums, we found owners who did successfully get MP3 discs to play, but none of the ones we tried were compatible. Acura does now include an auxiliary audio input in the center console, which did play music off our phone easily but didn't display any track info. We also looked in vain for a passthrough for the cord but had to close the lid on the cord to keep the phone accessible.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Banned

Since "Digital media auxiliary jack" is listed two lines below the mp3 line it's clear that they are not intended to be one in the same, and that's another lie since the 6 disk changer has nothing whatsoever to do with mp3.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:32 PM

Check out the brochure. I circled it in red:
http://home.comcast.net/~kidqwik/tsx/tsxbrochure.jpg
Same one I have. I think there's a little footnote on another page (two-page spread, talks about the 8-speaker audio system) about it, too.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Advanced

Same one I have. I think there's a little footnote on another page (two-page spread, talks about the 8-speaker audio system) about it, too.
Looked all over the rest of brochure and the only other mention of the stereo I see on the 2nd page of Specifications where it says just says Acura 360-watt Premium Sound System wih AM/FM Tuner 6-disc in-dash CD change and 8 speakers. Says MP3/Auxiliary Input Jack on another line. Having an official announcement from Honda and in the brochure where it says the 6 Disc CD Changer plays MP3s is enough for me to keep at them. I've printed all the stuff out in case they all of a sudden try to change it. They must have some really clueless people making their brochures.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Looked all over the rest of brochure and the only other mention of the stereo I see on the 2nd page of Specifications where it says just says Acura 360-watt Premium Sound System wih AM/FM Tuner 6-disc in-dash CD change and 8 speakers. Says MP3/Auxiliary Input Jack on another line. Having an official announcement from Honda and in the brochure where it says the 6 Disc CD Changer plays MP3s is enough for me to keep at them. I've printed all the stuff out in case they all of a sudden try to change it. They must have some really clueless people making their brochures.
If you want I will give you a CD with mp3s that plays in my car and I will send it to you. My 08 plays MP3s just fine.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:51 PM
10th Gear

Better yet, take a photo of the headunit display while an Mp3 cd is playing ...... say track #105.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Advanced

If you want I will give you a CD with mp3s that plays in my car and I will send it to you. My 08 plays MP3s just fine.
How exactly did you burn the CD? Can you give me a step by step walk through with the program you used, like what you selected, clicked, etc?
Old 09-28-2007, 03:04 PM
Advanced

Hmm, I justed burned an MP3 Data CD with that program you use, only it was version 12. When I look at the CD on Vista it shows full file names like the MP3s were orignally. When I look at the CD on XP the file names are all changed, shortened, and in a different description format but are still MP3s. I'm at work, but when I get to my car I'll tree this CD out to see if it works. I know the way I encoded it would "format the filenames to be played in MP3 players" or something. Given the fact the other CDs I've made seem to not give me an error much, but only a T 01 message, maybe it can play MP3s, but it's just a very primative MP3 CD player that can't recognize more complex filenames whereas my friends Scion plays the regular drag drop MP3 data CD no problem. We'll see when I get home if this is the case. Have my doubts, but if it does work I'll be very happy.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Banned

It won't work.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Advanced

It won't work.
I'm hoping you're wrong, but I know you're most likely right.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Banned

The only person who's claimed it works, that timd38 guy, gets off on annoying people. He's probably laughing at the fact that he's convinced another person to make a coaster.

Or maybe it's the presence of a Corvette in close proximity to the TSX that magically allows it to play mp3s.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:45 PM

... They must have some really clueless people making their brochures.
No, it's just so many people involved in a car product release. The advertising collateral people are not sitting in a room with the Pioneer (maker of the stereo) reps, the product managers, etc. Everyone's no doubt widely dispersed. Still, Acura ought not to be giving you a BS line and waving their hands.[1] I have the same or similar brochure. If some of the cars (yours) have an older Pioneer head unit (which is, IIRC, what the CD player is in) and others like timd38 have a car with a different radio model, then definitely, something fishy is up. Does anyone know a way to get the model # of the radio via a diagnostic? I seem to recall how to get the radio ID number....

[1]It's like if the brochure said, "215 HP engine," and it turned out your vehicle has the 205 HP engine. Or the brochure said "automatically closing sunroof,' you got the sunroof which only opens or closes while you hold the button.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:47 PM

YouTube it.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Advanced

No, it's just so many people involved in a car product release. The advertising collateral people are not sitting in a room with the Pioneer (maker of the stereo) reps, the product managers, etc. Everyone's no doubt widely dispersed. Still, Acura ought not to be giving you a BS line and waving their hands.[1] I have the same or similar brochure. If some of the cars (yours) have an older Pioneer head unit (which is, IIRC, what the CD player is in) and others like timd38 have a car with a different radio model, then definitely, something fishy is up. Does anyone know a way to get the model # of the radio via a diagnostic? I seem to recall how to get the radio ID number....

[1]It's like if the brochure said, "215 HP engine," and it turned out your vehicle has the 205 HP engine. Or the brochure said "automatically closing sunroof,' you got the sunroof which only opens or closes while you hold the button.
I know mistakes can happen, but in this one they seem to have played dumb about it. The "fix" would cost them like $150-$300 a car. Of course that could add up.

The regional guy just called me back and was completely unhelpful again. No remedy for their screw up, etc. No more Acura for me. If they want to charge $30K for a car, make errors on their press releases and their brochures that are completely wrong, and not try in the least to make the customers they sorta screwed over happy I'll take my business elsewhere. He tried to say to me "Toyota makes errors on their brochures too". I said yeah, and their Scion, a car that costs $10K less plays MP3 whereas your car which costs $10K more than the Scion and was stated in your brochure on the car and your official press release on Honda's website said the 6 Disc CD Changer play MP3s CDs actually does not. Last Acura for me.." Cheap MOFUs...
Old 09-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Banned

I think they have some leeway to fuck around with us. If you want an Acura you want an Acura. You will experiance that car everyday for several years. The dealership experiance is less frequent then visits to the dentist.

You can feel the apathy all over your body when you walk trough the dealership's doors. They don't start waxing you until the very end in order to get that high rating mark. Before that they'll leave you for dead in the waiting area. One salesmen tried to pretend he didn't see us and another handed us off because the dealership was closing in fifteen minutes and they knew it wasn't enough time to sell a car. Acura is supposed to be a luxury brand but the dealerships are just glorified cattle houses.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Advanced

I think they have some leeway to fuck around with us. If you want an Acura you want an Acura. You will experiance that car everyday for several years. The dealership experiance is less frequent then visits to the dentist.

You can feel the apathy all over your body when you walk trough the dealership's doors. They don't start waxing you until the very end in order to get that high rating mark. Before that they'll leave you for dead in the waiting area. One salesmen tried to pretend he didn't see us and another handed us off because the dealership was closing in fifteen minutes and they knew it wasn't enough time to sell a car. Acura is supposed to be a luxury brand but the dealerships are just glorified cattle houses.

My dealership excerience this time was actually nice. First place I went to was Ramsey Acura in NJ where I got my TSX from. The guy was nice and all at first. Told me they could get any color I wanted, etc. Then when the numbers were being done he said they had Charcoal, Red, Glacial Blue, and Blue for me to choose from. I wanted Silver. So I said Charcoal with the thought they'd be able to get one and I didn't want to haggle. I kept saying I felt sorta iffy about putting $3K down, paying $389 a month and getting only 12K worth of miles(My credit got screwed up, don't ask :-). So when I said I really wanted 15K miles he said $405. So the next day I was going to look at a Mazda 6 but the guy my sister got her car from was leaving for the day so I went to Open Road Acura in Wayne, NJ. I wanted to see if they had other colors and what they would charge me. They ended up getting me the car for the same price with 15K. When I called the other guy at Ramsey Acura the next day he like went off on me. "You used us to get that price.. You said you wanted 12K. You didn't come back to me..." I was like "uhh, I told you I wanted 15K and you told me $405. I didn't want charcoal, I wanted silver" Then he was like "It's people like you that want me to make this business" I thought to myself "ouch!" He totally turned me off from ever goin to Ramsey Acura again. The guy at Open Road Acura named Wayne was awesome. Most pleasant car experience of my life. I'd recommend him anytime.

Quick Reply: 08 TSX MP3 CD Player