08 Tsx

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
08 Tsx

Hello everyone,

I'm planning on purchasing a new 08 TSX as Honda is running a good special APR on the TSX. I'm aware that the new TSX is only a few months away but need to get a car very soon as my 95 Integra is on its last leg. This is going to be my first leather car and while I'm not fond of the leather as I stuff things in the backseat all of the time, I don't like how large the new Accord is and need a sedan. The new Civic is out due to the two tiered dash. So all those owners out there can you comment on any TSX flaws? I'm looking at getting the gray interior as hopefully the seats won't get as hot in the summer as the black interior. Also how frequently do you condition your leather?

As it comes to the cost, will I have any chance at getting the car for invoice or a little less then invoice at say 26k?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Nikonian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX is a great car. Good choice.

When it comes to leather, I use Lexol. I think you will want to condition it depending on your area. The goal is to keep it clean and moisturized to prevent cracking.

Enjoy the car when you get it.

Originally Posted by npolite
Hello everyone,

I'm planning on purchasing a new 08 TSX as Honda is running a good special APR on the TSX. I'm aware that the new TSX is only a few months away but need to get a car very soon as my 95 Integra is on its last leg. This is going to be my first leather car and while I'm not fond of the leather as I stuff things in the backseat all of the time, I don't like how large the new Accord is and need a sedan. The new Civic is out due to the two tiered dash. So all those owners out there can you comment on any TSX flaws? I'm looking at getting the gray interior as hopefully the seats won't get as hot in the summer as the black interior. Also how frequently do you condition your leather?

As it comes to the cost, will I have any chance at getting the car for invoice or a little less then invoice at say 26k?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not aware of any problems or flaws with the 08 model. We have a Problems & Fixes subforum so you might want to scan the posts in there to see if there are any reported. We also have a very good Wash & Wax subforum in our Off Topic section where I know there are a number of threads on leather care. If you spend some time every month or so cleaning and then conditioning the leather you'll have no problems.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Also, there's an old thread called something like "What I hate most about my TSX..." which will show you what kind of gripes are common. IMHO, they're pretty nitpicky in general.

Bear in mind, unless they dramatically changed the interior, the leather is a perforated panel in the center of the seat. The rest is leather-like vinyl. Don't get too hung on it.

If you're considering a TSX and an Accord, also consider the differentiators. Price, service/support, warranty, miles per gallon (a big gap on the 2006s I looked at), comfyness, size, amenities. Dont' focus only on what they have in common, but what makes them different. That ought'a guide you in deciding which you just can't live without.

As far as price, join Costco or another club with a buying program, and let them haggle down to a unbeatable price. Internet shopping is all the rage, too. Consumer Reports has a new car buyer kit which for a small fee will let you find out what's a good price and what isn't.

Welcome to the forums!
Old 12-20-2007, 05:49 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I have a 06 TSX with quartz interior since May 06 with +22,000 miles on the odo. I really love the quartz interior with the metal and black trim. I’ve never had a problem with the seat being too hot in summer (95-105 degrees in N.M.). I have 35% smoke 3M tint all around and a full sun visor on the front windshield when parked in the summer. My back side sometimes gets a little sweaty in the summer; but, I’m also 6’3” and 320lbs (it could be more because of my fat ass than the TSX).

I had no problems during the winter months with the seat being too cold. The TSX warms up very fast and the seat warmers are a big plus.

I condition my seats about every 6-8 weeks and I have very little wear/tear on them. Just make sure to vacuum the seat seams real good because dirt will act like sand paper in the crease.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:59 PM
2005 Acura TL

you could go with and mdx. Like a 2005 or 04.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by davidspalding
Bear in mind, unless they dramatically changed the interior, the leather is a perforated panel in the center of the seat. The rest is leather-like vinyl.
This is not quite true. The seating surfaces are leather only the sides and back are vinyl. So the perforated areas and the panels directly next to them.

FWIW, after all these posts and years, I've got a 2008 on order. We will replace one of our end of lease S2000s with an Arctic Blue 6MT TSX in February or March. Naturally my wife and I are arguing about who will drive the TSX and who will drive the other S2000.....
Old 12-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Racer

I have an 08 TSX, the only thing i dont like is the turning radius. I hope that issue is resolved in the 09. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I've owned an '04 6MT Non-nav; loved it and traded it for a ''06 RL. When wifes '04 RSX-S lease was up we replaced it with an '08 TSX 6MT Nav. Great cars, great value, C&D Top 10 car.

Get the 6MT, you won't regret it. Never, ever pay more than $500 over invoice on any car.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:45 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
highly recommend getting a tsx, especially one with 6 MT. love my 06, now 13 month old, with 33,000+ miles.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Banned

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance.
Look for a used '06 6MT, because 1) it's nearly the same as the later models 2) it's cheaper, 3) you can get it chipped with Hondata if you find the car is too slow and 4) it kinda sucks buying a car brand new when it's so close to a full overhaul. You can get back out of a slightly used car more easily than a new one if you decide you like the next model or something entirely different a year from now.

Definately get the 6MT, it's like a reason to get the car all by itself.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by wackura
Look for a used '06 6MT, because 1) it's nearly the same as the later models 2) it's cheaper, 3) you can get it chipped with Hondata if you find the car is too slow and 4) it kinda sucks buying a car brand new when it's so close to a full overhaul. You can get back out of a slightly used car more easily than a new one if you decide you like the next model or something entirely different a year from now.

Definately get the 6MT, it's like a reason to get the car all by itself.

Thanks for the info. I plan on keeping the car for at least 7-10 years (I know I drive them to the grave) so I would rather get it new...plus the people that lease cars which are only 2-3 years old probably wouldn't condition the leather like I would. What I'm really terrified is about the leather holding up for 10 years...I see most people love their TSXs but only have them leased which is questioning how they can quickly part with them.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Banned

In that case take a close look at the TL-S if you can afford the extra cost, especially since you're in this for the long haul. You might be more comfortable in a TL over a longer period of time. When I bought my '07 i was so deadset on a TSX that I didn't even bother to try out the TL-S and if I had to do over again I would test drive one. I think it comes a little closer to what people have in mind when they think of a luxury car.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:26 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by wackura
In that case take a close look at the TL-S if you can afford the extra cost, especially since you're in this for the long haul. You might be more comfortable in a TL over a longer period of time. When I bought my '07 i was so deadset on a TSX that I didn't even bother to try out the TL-S and if I had to do over again I would test drive one. I think it comes a little closer to what people have in mind when they think of a luxury car.
I had a 08 silver tl as a loaner car that i got to keep overnight. I put 500 miles on it. I was not overly-impressed with. It made me appreciate my tsx even more than i do. Maybe the tl-s with 6 speed would be better but then again for the extra money you have to spend it should.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
This is not quite true. The seating surfaces are leather only the sides and back are vinyl. So the perforated areas and the panels directly next to them.

FWIW, after all these posts and years, I've got a 2008 on order. We will replace one of our end of lease S2000s with an Arctic Blue 6MT TSX in February or March. Naturally my wife and I are arguing about who will drive the TSX and who will drive the other S2000.....
It's about time.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Good comments on the guys above but just one more note. Wait as long as you possibly can before getting it because once they release the new TSX or show that it will be coming out, the price drop will SHOOT down drastically to get rid of them around the end of jan beginning of feb. I bought my brand new 06 5AT non navi TSX for one of the cheapest prices on this board at the beginning of feb last year for only $24,890 OTD. I traded in but the price before TTL was like $24,243 so they can be had for cheap!!!!
Old 12-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
It's about time.

As for jwood_06TSX's comments. Please be aware that if you are going to try this route, you might not get your first choice of color. We have exactly 10 manuals and 15 autos in stock right now.

The ordering 'pipeline' is already closed and we won't be ordering anymore cars. Our last order has 13 cars (including mine). This is it for the '08 TSX. Depending on where you live, I believe that we will easily run out of cars well before the new model arrives in March-April.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:29 PM

Really? Sure about that? Someone posted a pic recently (last few months) of a side bolster (what you're asserting is leather) coming apart, and it was clearly vinyl. On my 2006, the driver's outside seat bolster is showing wear, and it's definitely not looking like worn leather. Maybe your's is a different year, and a different composition.

OP, considering getting a certified pre-owned (CPO), I did and I'm happy with mine. got an add-wrap warranty to make everything covered until 2012 or 100,000. I've been told that January - February is when a lot of lease returns come back to dealers, so there's a nice selection of pre-owned vehicles. The thrill of the new is well understood, but the fun of the frugal is nice too ... it leaves money for after-sale upgrades (Hondata, body kit, doodads).
Old 12-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Really? Sure about that? Someone posted a pic recently (last few months) of a side bolster (what you're asserting is leather) coming apart, and it was clearly vinyl. On my 2006, the driver's outside seat bolster is showing wear, and it's definitely not looking like worn leather. Maybe your's is a different year, and a different composition.
I am 100% sure. I posted the areas that are leather and vinyl in this post: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...olster+leather

I would however be interested in seeing the pics you speak of.... I tried a search but haven't located the thread yet.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:34 AM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
The only complaint I have with the TSX is the soft paint
Old 12-22-2007, 07:09 AM
Instructor

I am happy with my 08, I just wish it had 50 more HP.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:22 PM

I am 100% sure. I posted the areas that are leather and vinyl in this post: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...olster+leather

I would however be interested in seeing the pics you speak of.... I tried a search but haven't located the thread yet.
Search on this site is kinda broken. I searched in vain for relevant threads before posting my own thread recently, asking "what is and is not leather? does anyone REALLY know?" As for the photo, look for a thread within 3 months about a seat coming part after 1 1/2 year of ownership. It was a seam coming apart.

This morning I actually suspect you are and my understanding from others was . Today it's overcast and I looked at the passenger seat. The non-perf back and seating areas are a very slightly different texture and color than the side and back panels. This proves nothing, but indicates something.

I still suspect it's pleather except for the perforated areas. My strongest indication was which areas soaked up some Maguire's cleaner/conditioner, and which areas just resisted it, looking sticky and gross. Also, the outside seat bolster of my driver's side is wearing in a way that I don't expect leather to. I still await someone with some definitive info (i.e. have seen a seat torn/ripped, have seen one assembled, or someone takes a knife to theirs to finally definitively settle the issue).
Old 12-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Pro

Well I test drove the TSX about an hr ago and can say that I really enjoyed the ride. Although I would have liked a longer test drive, it was getting close to closing so I couldn't get the chance to.

The salesguy was a friend of a friend but initially could only offer the car to me at 27,500 since he didn’t have the color combo in stock. I had told him that the reason I drove over an hr away (there are 3 other Acura dealers in my area) was to get a better deal than invoice as I can get that at any Acura dealer. The best he could do was $26,600 for an auto non-navi. I'll be emailing my local dealers around my area to see if I can do better. I like the car but since the redesign is only a matter of months away (he said it won’t be available until Sept) I can’t see paying invoice.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Suzuka Master

This morning I actually suspect you are and my understanding from others was . Today it's overcast and I looked at the passenger seat. The non-perf back and seating areas are a very slightly different texture and color than the side and back panels. This proves nothing, but indicates something.
All you need to do is 'poke' it with your finger. Poke the side of the seat or the pleather on the door panel. See how it gives and stretches? Poke the panel right next to the perforated areas and see the difference in texture and the way it wrinkles as it resists your finger.

Go the back seat. Poke the center (middle passenger) cushion. Feel the difference between this area and the area on the top of the rear seatback (between the headreats). They feel different, which is the vinyl? Which is leather? They are of different materials.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:54 PM

That's your test? The "poke test?" ... I still await more definitive info. Sorry, if you feel you need to convince me. I'm securely on the fence.

npolite, when you say you don't want to pay invoice, but "better than invoice," I really wonder why you think you should get that. You might ... but you could get gypped on closing costs. Caveat emptor.

The best advice I've read is shop the internet, or use a warehouse club buying program (Bj's, Costco, SAMS) and see what they can get for you. Best of luck.

Not sure if I mentioned, but I have ASM with Quartz and I like it. I think I'd've preferred ebony inside (I test drove one), it seemed less "plasticy," but driving an ebony interior Accord EX V6 sauna on a warm day cured me of that idea.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Suzuka Master

That's your test? The "poke test?" ... I still await more definitive info. Sorry, if you feel you need to convince me. I'm securely on the fence.
NO, thats not the only thing. Mostly it's because I've been selling Acura's for 12 years now and I know where they put leather and where not. Did you try my suggestion? Can you feel the difference between the seatback and the seat cushion on the rear seats?
Old 12-22-2007, 10:51 PM

(laughing) Calm down. I told you I'm securely on the fence, and failure to budge me isn't a reflection upon you.

No, I haven't tried it, but I will. Look at the time, EST, here. My 5 year old daughters sleeping in the next room, I'm not inclined to run downstairs and start poking my car seats. (It's freaking-ass cold here, too, so I'm not sure I could discern a different anyway).

I don't recall hearing that you sell the cars (maybe mentioned months ago and I've forgotten); so you have more than just a casual familiarity with the upholstery. That's kinda pertinent info, chum. Don't be so humble.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Suzuka Master

(laughing) Calm down. I told you I'm securely on the fence, and failure to budge me isn't a reflection upon you.
Ha I'm calm so don't worry. I'm also not too humble as I had written in the previous post that "I'm never wrong" but I deleted it.

But to be frank, if I don't know something I don't write it or I frame it as speculation. I've been on these boards for a realllllly long time (July 2003), and most of the older members know that what I do. I"ve got some TSX information on my webpage as well as my (old) TSX intro video. See here: My TSX Page

BTW, I've never owned a TSX, but will soon....also, what are you talking about, it's a beautiful 78 degree evening here....
Old 12-23-2007, 05:52 AM
it's a car-drive it

Smile

No, I haven't tried it, but I will. Look at the time, EST, here. My 5 year old daughters sleeping in the next room, I'm not inclined to run downstairs and start poking my car seats. (It's freaking-ass cold here, too, so I'm not sure I could discern a different anyway).

I don't recall hearing that you sell the cars (maybe mentioned months ago and I've forgotten); so you have more than just a casual familiarity with the upholstery. That's kinda pertinent info, chum. Don't be so humble.
you must be a native-when the temp gets below 60 out comes 20 layers of clothing
Old 12-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
you must be a native-when the temp gets below 60 out comes 20 layers of clothing
Ha Ha, I'm not that bad! I was cold on this day...

http://satoauto.com/video/TL_ride_drive_2003.wmv

This was at candlestick point on a 60deg day. Winds were blowing at about 20 mph and all I had on was a cotton shirt. The guy talking in the video is our mfgs rep from Acura and I'm driving the TL to 1st place in the autocross competition at the dealer Ride and Drive.

All the local San Fran folks had jackets, but we were in the hotel all day so I didn't have mine with me (though I had one in the room). If I only knew what the conditions were going to be!
Old 12-25-2007, 01:21 AM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

npolite, when you say you don't want to pay invoice, but "better than invoice," I really wonder why you think you should get that. You might ... but you could get gypped on closing costs. Caveat emptor.

The best advice I've read is shop the internet, or use a warehouse club buying program (Bj's, Costco, SAMS) and see what they can get for you. Best of luck.

Not sure if I mentioned, but I have ASM with Quartz and I like it. I think I'd've preferred ebony inside (I test drove one), it seemed less "plasticy," but driving an ebony interior Accord EX V6 sauna on a warm day cured me of that idea.
I've done the "poke test" and it does the exact same thing for the perforated parts as the outer sections; they both wrinkle a little. And the alleged pleather sections soak up leather conditioner just as well as the perforated section.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:47 PM
worrrrd

I seriously dont think i hate anything about my TSX, i mean i dont like that its not as fast as my previous S/Ced DC5 but that was obvious
Old 12-27-2007, 10:15 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jwood_06TSX
Good comments on the guys above but just one more note. Wait as long as you possibly can before getting it because once they release the new TSX or show that it will be coming out, the price drop will SHOOT down drastically to get rid of them around the end of jan beginning of feb. I bought my brand new 06 5AT non navi TSX for one of the cheapest prices on this board at the beginning of feb last year for only $24,890 OTD. I traded in but the price before TTL was like $24,243 so they can be had for cheap!!!!
JWood, which dealer did you buy your TSX from? I am shopping for a TSX for the little lady.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 12-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TSX1539
JWood, which dealer did you buy your TSX from? I am shopping for a TSX for the little lady.

Thanks,
Paul
Davis Acura in Langhorne. PM me if you want a contact there, i still stop over and see the sales guy
Old 12-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Registered TSX Driver

Had my 08 for a month now....just started noticing the infamous rattle coming from the pass front door. It's nothing major but it is annoying especially if the radio is off.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Pro

So before I make my final decision, can people comment if I can wear jeans without damaging the leather or is it an absolute no? I wear jeans about 99% of the time in my car.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 12-27-2007, 06:14 PM
it's a car-drive it

So before I make my final decision, can people comment if I can wear jeans without damaging the leather or is it an absolute no? I wear jeans about 99% of the time in my car.

Thanks,
Nick
jeans are ok as long as you do not have any sharp objects in your back pockets or attached to the back of a belt (if you wear one). Luckily after the back of my seat was assaulted by a sharp object the dealer was nice enough to replace the seat cover under warranty
Old 12-28-2007, 05:49 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by AllStockTSX08
Had my 08 for a month now....just started noticing the infamous rattle coming from the pass front door. It's nothing major but it is annoying especially if the radio is off.
my 06 tsx started to develop a slight rattle about 4 months after owning it. when i took it in for service I mentioned it. I figured they would not be able to fix or tell me it was not there. I was wrong-they made some kind of adjustment and to this day-NO RATTLES (knock-on-wood)
Old 12-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Registered TSX Driver

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
my 06 tsx started to develop a slight rattle about 4 months after owning it. when i took it in for service I mentioned it. I figured they would not be able to fix or tell me it was not there. I was wrong-they made some kind of adjustment and to this day-NO RATTLES (knock-on-wood)
I really hate bringing the car to the dealer for minor things....seems like car behaves a lot worse after they lay their hands on it. However, if this rattle does annoy me enough I will have no choice.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:10 PM

NO, thats not the only thing. Mostly it's because I've been selling Acura's for 12 years now and I know where they put leather and where not. Did you try my suggestion? Can you feel the difference between the seatback and the seat cushion on the rear seats?
Having now performed a few poke tests, I see you point. Thicker material in the seating areas ... meaning it's leather? Probably, But I'm still a bit skeptical. I'll have to do the Meguiar's wipes again and see if it soaks in better there.

Cold weather ... caw, it was 70 degrees here in NC during a rainy day, and humid -- yuck. Give me my hometown North Beach chilly brisk ocean/bay air.

Quick Reply: 08 Tsx