'04 TSX vs '04 TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 03:13 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 TSX vs '04 TL

Just thought I would start this thread now that we have seen the '04 TL.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...=&threadid=955

Which do you guys like better , as far as LOOKS ONLY of course.

The TL is VERY VERY nice, but I still think the TSX has a nicer interior. Layout is more clean, and more sporty IMO. I also think that the exterior on the TSX is slightly nicer...cleaner lines, and better proportions with stock wheels (although i am sure the sport wheels on the TL will ook much better).

The only thing I may like a bit better on the TL is the rear end and tail lights.

That being said..both are very similar and both GORGEOUS.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i totally agree with you about the tsx interior > tl interior and about the tl rear looking better than the tsx rear.

i don't think you can go wrong with either car... i guess it depends on what kinda of car you're looking for what how much money you have.

if i wanted a family car and i had the money, i would prolly go for the tl. but i'm 22, so the tsx is perfect for me b/c i don't have a family and i didn't have the extra cash for the tl (but if i did, i might've bought the g35 coupe).
Old 07-25-2003, 03:18 PM
Intermediate

I think the tsx is better
Old 07-25-2003, 03:21 PM
Drifting

I think the TSX has the nicer interior, the TL the nicer exterior. It just has more substance and character. This car is the next smash hit. Japan won't have the TL? Bullshit, they're gonna have to increase production in Marysville and export them. I'm glad I bought HMC stock last week.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:41 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Still think the TSX looks cleaner inside and out. But if I needed a V6, I know where I'd be going.

Its clearly the TSX's "Bigger Brother"

Do they have the exact same front lights?
Old 07-25-2003, 04:12 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by domn

Do they have the exact same front lights?
Front end of both cars look very very similar. Could be the same lights. Side view and 3/4 seem to show much cleaner lines on the TSX, which I prefer.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:19 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
i think the TSX is better looking from what ive seen...

but it takes seeing a car in person to really tell.

either way its still hot.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:19 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
the TL has much nicer features tho
Old 07-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Originally posted by soopa
the TL has much nicer features tho
no doubt on that. either way you look at it i'm glad they share similarities. Gonna keep my tsx looking fresh for years to come.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:31 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

I wish the line on the side of the TSX ran through the door handles like the TL. The TSX line didnt have to be depressed into the body like the TL's is, but that could have made for both a better look on the TSX itself and for the new acura family look as a whole.

J.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:33 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by bowersan
I wish the line on the side of the TSX ran through the door handles like the TL. The TSX line didnt have to be depressed into the body like the TL's is, but that could have made for both a better look on the TSX itself and for the new acura family look as a whole.

J.
Hm....sSee i dont really like that wedge line through the door handles. Its ok i guess, but i prefer the cleaner line on the tsx, regardless of location.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

It looks great! But I think it is too big for my taste, so my TSX is still better for me!
Old 07-25-2003, 04:40 PM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

Originally posted by fdl
Hm....sSee i dont really like that wedge line through the door handles. Its ok i guess, but i prefer the cleaner line on the tsx, regardless of location.
To each their own, I guess... personally, im a modernist.. straight lines and simple, geometric shapes please me.. personally I think the new TL has a great side and rear view.

What im not a fan of is the "Acura" name on the front bumper and the portion it is pressed onto. Reminds me for some reason of the Pontiac Grand Prix.

Overall, it looks very very nice. Some might love it, some might hate it.. thats the way it goes!

J.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:46 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by bowersan
To each their own, I guess... personally, im a modernist.. straight lines and simple, geometric shapes please me.. personally I think the new TL has a great side and rear view.

What im not a fan of is the "Acura" name on the front bumper and the portion it is pressed onto. Reminds me for some reason of the Pontiac Grand Prix.

Overall, it looks very very nice. Some might love it, some might hate it.. thats the way it goes!

J.
I agree completely with the straight lines and simple modern shapes. I just think that the TSX fits that description more so. But I still think the TL looks very nice as well!

I dont like that acura name on the front bumper either. Its all part of hondas new trend of pumping their name and logo. Emblems getting bigger, acura/honda written everywhere,etc. Something I dont like in either car is the acura symbol on the steering wheel. I would have prefered it to be embossed into the wheel. More sublte..and stylish.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by fdl
Something I dont like in either car is the acura symbol on the steering wheel. I would have prefered it to be embossed into the wheel. More sublte..and stylish.
I like the emblem better. I think the embossed look is a little cheaper looking. IMO
Old 07-25-2003, 05:38 PM
More On

Hey, I think we can start sticking our necks out a little more than that.

We don't have to talk just about how they look; can't we start guessing a little better about how the TL will feel and act?

And from the looks of it, I'm afraid it might be just enough more comfortable than the TSX, with little if any compromise in handling.

But any of it could go either way.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:46 PM
Stuck in Purgatory

I would've liked to have the 4 spoke steering wheel from the TL, rather than the 3 spoke in the TSX.

Do the leather seats of the TL look like they're perforated?
Old 07-25-2003, 06:15 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by larchmont
Hey, I think we can start sticking our necks out a little more than that.

We don't have to talk just about how they look; can't we start guessing a little better about how the TL will feel and act?

And from the looks of it, I'm afraid it might be just enough more comfortable than the TSX, with little if any compromise in handling.

But any of it could go either way.
I would guess that there would have to be a comprimise in handling. Even if suspensions were identicle, the added size and weight of the TL would be a disadvantage. On the other hand you will have alot more power.

The TL definately suits its intended market, and should sell very well.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:33 PM
2nd Gear

tsx
Old 07-25-2003, 08:19 PM
I love my G sedan

The only negative thing I can find on TSX is its weak torque. Other than that, it's a perfect car. TSX and TL are so similar, both extremely good looking, but TSX has a better tail ends in my opinion. However, I am sure TL would be so much stronger in accelerating and quieter.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Sport cars are suppous to be loud and stuff.....
Old 07-25-2003, 08:55 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by shadymilkman
Sport cars are suppous to be loud and stuff.....
Well, neither the TL or the TSX are "sport cars". Sports sedan...or sporty, yes.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by fdl
Well, neither the TL or the TSX are "sport cars". Sports sedan...or sporty, yes.

Yea thats what i meant
Old 07-25-2003, 09:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

What I like is the front end is agressive and similar on both which will help the Acura brand.

I think I will have to give the nod to the TSX on the looks ... mostly because I think smaller sedans just look more athletic.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:11 PM
More On

Originally posted by provench
.....I think I will have to give the nod to the TSX on the looks ... mostly because I think smaller sedans just look more athletic.
Yessssss!

BTW -- How about, are more athletic?
Old 07-25-2003, 09:16 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I gotta agree, it seems like the TSX is just a better proportioned car. I, personally, like every angle of the TSX better. I dont like the embossed front bumper - too Pontiac. I dont like the rear tails - to VW Jetta. I love the metallic strip in the interior of the TSX - reminds me of BMW. I like the horizontal strip better than the two vertical strips. The vertical strips seem to separate the cabin too much for my taste. I dont like the high waistline cutout on the TL. I thought I would from the early pics, but on the newest ones, it reminds me of a 7 series bimmer. Again, I just like a smaller car. I think the TSX is a tidier package.

But I would love more torque.

The headlights are similar but different, the TSX has the small round turn signal. It looks like the TL has the turn signal integrated into the sides of the housings.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:27 PM
More On

I must seem like I'm obsessed by size -- well, I am, when it comes to cars, because I've learned how different a car's character will be according to its precise size, and how narrow the range is for cars that I might like.

From what I've been able to tell, even after seeing the TL today, nobody is telling us the size of the car. From the pics, I personally can't tell at all. Some of them make it seem like it's on the smaller side -- like maybe 186" -- while others make it seem closer to 190 or 191. Those would be quite different kinds of cars.

Anybody think they can tell?
Old 07-25-2003, 09:29 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

How big is the '03 TL? Its probably a couple inches shorter than that? Impossibel to really tell form the pic though.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:42 PM
More On

Originally posted by fdl
How big is the '03 TL? Its probably a couple inches shorter than that? Impossibel to really tell form the pic though.
It's 192.5 (vs. 183.3 for TSX). And the width is 70.7, which, although only 1.3 inches more than the TSX, feels like an extra foot and a half.

In cars of this type, very small differences can make a huge difference in how the car feels and acts.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:08 PM
Advanced

Well, that cinches it!
No buyer's remorse for me!

I was glad I got the TSX before and now that I've seen the TL I'm even gladder.

The TL is proof that more of something good is sometimes just too much.
In this case, too much metal inside, too many buttons, too many scallops and hoods; too many creases outside, too many lights and markers...
What's with the hand-brake on the passenger side? You reach across the console to engage it? Or ask the passenger to pull it for you? ;-)

Outside, the overall silouette looks fine and the front end looks generally good, except for the big plastic bar with the Embossed word; if the Caliper-A badge is to mean anything, the car shouldn't need to scream "ACURA!"

Somebody should've told the designers when to stop; cause the concept car looked reasonably good on its own; it certainly didn't need all those new "enhancements".

The mechanicals are going to have to be REALLY spectacular to get past that overdose of designer self-expression.

$0.02 + plus change, I fear...
Old 07-25-2003, 11:10 PM
More On

Originally posted by fjtorres
......What's with the hand-brake on the passenger side?.....
WTF?
Old 07-25-2003, 11:19 PM
Advanced

WTF?
I can't be the only one to notice that...?
Did I miss something?
Is that a new ergonomic feature or something?
Old 07-25-2003, 11:20 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

WTF?
Umm...All Preludes are like this, why?

Because they were RHD cars converted to LHD cars.
Perhaps they plan to export this car to the UK and JDM and just decided to make the brake in one fixed possition for those markets. Anyone ever think that perhaps this is a one off pre-production model that may have a design change or two from the assembly line brothers?

perhaps this is preproduction mule built on a JDM Inspire/USDM RHD floor pan? Perhaps the parking brake cables had to moved to the left more--maybe they interferred with the later placement of an AWD system in future type-S or type-V models?
Old 07-25-2003, 11:26 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by MrChad
Anyone ever think that perhaps this is a one off pre-production model that may have a design change or two from the assembly line brothers?
Good point.
I hope they do make a change or three, unless they really are aiming to poach customers from Pontiac...
Old 07-25-2003, 11:42 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Looks pretty sexy to me, especially from the front (TSX) and sides (lines). The back reminds me of a Saturn ION or something though - the TSX has a much better looking rear. I vote against the screaming "ACURA" as well, but it'd be covered by a license plate here anyway.

No remorse here either... the new TL is a good looking car (much better than the 2003), but too big for me.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:56 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I'm surprised there seem to be no turning signals on the side mirrors... but at least it has mirrors (unlike the concept vehicle shown on edmunds)!
Old 07-26-2003, 04:44 AM
Instructor

TSX IS SO MUCH BETTER DUDE.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:55 AM
Old timer

If the TSX had a V6 to go with the 6speed, it would be the car to get. It looks decent and the interior is great, it just needs more power.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:29 PM
Teh seX

Originally posted by JRock
If the TSX had a V6 to go with the 6speed, it would be the car to get. It looks decent and the interior is great, it just needs more power.
when the mods come out for this car.. wouldnt be surprised if we get about 240 out of the tsx... That would be perfect for me.. anything more would be wishful thinking unless they added IMA.. IMA would be great, but not necessary, IMO. Otherwise I would have be looking at an evolution 8 or 9 comin out next year. But pulling 240 out of the tsx with a little better suspension and tires, then we're talkin..
Old 07-26-2003, 12:32 PM
More On

Originally posted by BlackTSXer
......But pulling 240 out of the tsx with a little better suspension and tires, then we're talkin..
Sounds like a customer for the TL-HPT!

Quick Reply: '04 TSX vs '04 TL