Tranny Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006 | 02:00 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Tranny Troubles

Okay, so my 2.5TL is being traded in (I believe on a new Accord 5spd or 6spd). Second gear is almost broken. It shifts REALLY hard into second and slips out sometimes. And to add to that, the blower motor for the interior fan is dying. The total repair cost is over $4k CDN.

I'm cutting my losses and just buying a new car. I'll never own another automatic transmission in my life. Just a few weeks ago our neighbor's 97 Camry auto V6 blew the transmission. And a while ago my mom's 94 Intrepid was looking like the transmission was on the way out. I have a HUGE distrust of automatics now. Never again. I will miss my TL. I'm still going to post on Acurazine though, since I'll still have a Honda.
Old 03-28-2006 | 02:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Good to keep you around

My next car will be a stick as well..
Old 03-28-2006 | 05:06 PM
1998 2.5TL

My next car will be a stick as well. The TL has been my first automatic - and I simply miss the fun of driving a stick. I love the TL and introducing MT in the fourth gen was a VERY good decision Honda made. A second MT car will be good.
Old 03-28-2006 | 05:10 PM
Senior Moderator

it is great to know that you will still be around...

i agree with the whole tranny issues... it does sux... thank god they got it right with the 2nd and 3rd gen 6spds... not TOO many probs from what i hear.... but i dunno if i can drive a stick every day.. if i get stuck in bad traffic one day, i may end up trading in the car... lolz...
Old 03-28-2006 | 05:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
it is great to know that you will still be around...

i agree with the whole tranny issues... it does sux... thank god they got it right with the 2nd and 3rd gen 6spds... not TOO many probs from what i hear.... but i dunno if i can drive a stick every day.. if i get stuck in bad traffic one day, i may end up trading in the car... lolz...
it sucks when you're stuck in traffic on an uphill part of the freeway. It also sucks when you want to enjoy your meal while driving even though its unsafe but its do'able with an auto. i don't know what i'd do if i can't masturbate while driving.
Old 03-28-2006 | 09:32 PM
Instructor

With the exception of a few transmissions (Like 98+ Honda V6 autos), any of them out there will last only as long as you allow them to with regular maintanence. It doesn't matter if it's an auto or manual. If they get abused they will fail prematurely. And even with those Honda autos they'll still last longer if well maintained.
Old 03-29-2006 | 08:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

although i disagree with the "auto" trannys suck thing, congrats on your next honda, and hopefully it will give your many years of trouble free service to come.

I agree with post ^ - good maintenance is the key. A Honda auto tranny especially, exlcluding the bad run of 5sp autos from 98 - 03, should outlast the owner, and easily do 150k miles. My TL, is approaching 150k, and still shifts as smooth as butter.

oh and to the next car being a stick. My "next" car (hopefully in the next few months) only comes with a 6sp stick: S2000 baby
Old 03-29-2006 | 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

My TL has 209k miles and I am the original owner. I changed fulid regularly and so far it has not let me down yet. I am planning on doing the tranny screen very shortly if I can figure out how to jack up the car with roll around hydrolic jack( may be called different ) from the front so that I can place the jack stands on the sides. I can't find the spot to place the jack underneath the front bumper area.
Old 03-29-2006 | 05:49 PM
Instructor

There's a small lump sort of thing right in the middle about a foot back from the front of the bumper that's connected to the subframe and is intended as a jacking position. If you look hard enough you should find it.
Old 03-29-2006 | 07:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c29842984
There's a small lump sort of thing right in the middle about a foot back from the front of the bumper that's connected to the subframe and is intended as a jacking position. If you look hard enough you should find it.
thnx.
I will check it out in the morning.
Old 03-29-2006 | 07:56 PM
Instructor

Make sure everyone gets these transmissions fixed before trading them in. Look at the "Toyota Dealership trying to take my TL thread" before trading in problem cars or else people on this board will have a hissy fit.
Old 03-30-2006 | 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by meazz1
My TL has 209k miles and I am the original owner. I changed fulid regularly and so far it has not let me down yet. I am planning on doing the tranny screen very shortly if I can figure out how to jack up the car with roll around hydrolic jack( may be called different ) from the front so that I can place the jack stands on the sides. I can't find the spot to place the jack underneath the front bumper area.
I think the problem is that my car's previous owners never changed the fluid. Oh well. Nothing I can do now. I'm the proud owner of a 2006 Accord EX-V6 6MT in Carbon Grey Metallic. I pick it up today! When I get its spoiler attached on Monday, I'll take some pics and post them in a week or two (school's ending, many assignments due!).

My personal viewpoint is that when an auto breaks it feels like it's the transmission's fault, even though it might not be. At least with the manual, if it breaks, I KNOW it's my fault for abusing it. Driven properly, a manual transmission can last the life of a car, maybe with one clutch change or so.

I just don't like the fact that I don't know what the automatic transmission is doing. It's like it's being shady. Hah!
Old 03-30-2006 | 12:09 PM
Pro

I HATE STICKS well i like driving them but ill never own one
Old 03-30-2006 | 12:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by copy252
I HATE STICKS well i like driving them but ill never own one
Stick is tha shit. I love driving them and they are so much more fun to drive than automatics.
Old 03-31-2006 | 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by TL BABY
Stick is tha shit. I love driving them and they are so much more fun to drive than automatics.
Even driving in traffic I don't mind. Especially with a nice Honda transmission. I did it in my old Toyota 4Runner for 2.5 years. And I'm doing it now with my new Accord (which is sitting in my driveway). 244hp is a lot quicker than I thought, even revving low for break-in. I can't wait until this car is all broken in! I still miss the classic lines of my old TL though.
Old 03-31-2006 | 09:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by youngTL
Even driving in traffic I don't mind. Especially with a nice Honda transmission. I did it in my old Toyota 4Runner for 2.5 years. And I'm doing it now with my new Accord (which is sitting in my driveway). 244hp is a lot quicker than I thought, even revving low for break-in. I can't wait until this car is all broken in! I still miss the classic lines of my old TL though.
That what I keep telling yall....aint nothin like a stick in the summertime. I NEVER owned an automatic vehicle until I bought my 3.2 in Feb'06.

Although I love my TL and the drive is smooth, I don't think I will buy another automatic car.

Hope you enjoy the new accord and well if i were u, i'd invest in a nice sounding exhaust, since it's a manual car . For the record, manual transmissions do perform better and tend to last a lot longer than automatics....just my 0.02 cents.
Old 03-31-2006 | 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

It's amazing how a small percentage of personal experiences will sway a persons mind in one direction, even if it is the opposite of what the majority observes... nothing wrong with an auto tranny... in my opinion... but congrats on the new Accord, that would be a nice whip.
Old 03-31-2006 | 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by ljmushock
It's amazing how a small percentage of personal experiences will sway a persons mind in one direction, even if it is the opposite of what the majority observes... nothing wrong with an auto tranny... in my opinion... but congrats on the new Accord, that would be a nice whip.
It's just there's been a huge history of automatics failing in my family. Prior to the Intrepid, we had a 1995 and 1989 Chrysler Grand Caravan and Caravan respectively. The Grand was okay, but the other one's trans died going up a mountain.

I dunno, automatics seem more prone to breakage.

Sure there's nothing wrong with people choosing an auto. I just find it boring, and in flat central Alberta, there aren't many hills to worry about. I find the stick a pleasure. I used to drive a stick before I got my 2.5TL, and I really wanted to go back the entire time I owned it. Doesn't mean I didn't love the car.

Do the majority of people really observe that automatic transmissions are more reliable? Think about the really old cars over 200k miles. Most of them are manual in my observation. But if you're not going to own a vehicle that long and you prefer automatic, then who cares right?
Old 04-02-2006 | 02:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ljmushock

Not exactly a small percentage of experiences for me. For the better part of the last 10 yrs, I've owned 6 standard vehicles and NEVER had transmission issues so i feel that i'm in a good position to comment on this topic. Realistically, we know that both types will have issues of some sort, but replacing a burnt out clutch is nothing compared to replacing an entire tranny in an automatic vehicle.
Old 04-05-2006 | 04:31 PM

Pics of my new ride are up!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...98#post4781598