Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:45 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting Problems

I have a 96 acura TL 2.5. I have a problem with either a hard start or turning over but not starting. This has been going on for a month. So far I have had the fuel filter replaced, the next week, wouldn't start. Other mechanic said it was the sparks/distributer so had all those replaced. Worked but had a couple hard starts. Last night, ran it around the corner, ran into the store for about 5mins, came out wouldn't start. An hour later, started right up. Any ideas? I am thinking maybe the main relay? I can't be sure, but I think the previous owner already had the ignition switch replaced.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Racer

I doubt that it is the main relay. If it was a main relay problem, the car would not turn over at all. Maybe its a bad starter? Starters on these TL's aren't hard to change, if you know what your doing... It is just a hassle to get to it.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Check all battery connections carefully and clean/tighten securely. You want to be sure the starter is getting full voltage/current.

If battery wires/connections are good and starter refuses to engage (clicks only), or drags very hard it may be a weak starter. While it is easier than the 3.2TL, it is no walk in the park either. Accessing the bolts w/o removing intake manifold is a challenge. Search this forum for detailed discussion on procedure.

good luck
Old 03-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Banned

Starter issue

I had my starter go at 135k i work for the acura dealer, i bought the factory reman at employee cost, and tried to put it in. I had coaching and still struggled i am a parts guy not a tech. I pulled the intake off to do it, and it was a lot of work i did take my time and it works well i know you can slip it in under the intake it kept turning upside down so i did it the stubborn way. I did clean out the inside of the plenum as well very nasty, love the car and have put some money into it. I think this is the best tl ever made i have alot of time working for honda,acura dealers and this is a very hardy car great site Mad Brad
Old 03-31-2011, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

starting issues - 93 acura integra

I have similar issue, my car will not start. It occured after it rained very hard couple weeks ago in southern CA. huge puddles & hard rain, In the early AM, I tried to start my 93 acura integra and it cranks & sounds like it wants to start & nothing, after couple min, close to 1hr.all of a sudden it started, week went by & rained again & the problem persists, took it to my mechanic twice & he informed its the computer, then he thought it was the main relay now he's back to the computer but cannot get a hold of one - part# ABK- 37820-PR4-A61491-126201, Ive been without a car for almost a month - I feel like taking my car to a new mechanic, any suggestions in the southern Cali area, San Fernando (where I reside) or LA area preferably El Segundo (where I work)..??? many thanks...
Old 03-31-2011, 01:49 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Can you check the grounds for your fuel injectors? I forgot to tighten a bolt down once and was checking everything when the car wouldn't start. After 10 minutes of searching, I noticed the wire was lifted. Tightened it down and she started right up.

~Cheers~
Old 03-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by integramigrane
I have similar issue, my car will not start. It occured after it rained very hard couple weeks ago in southern CA. huge puddles & hard rain, In the early AM, I tried to start my 93 acura integra and it cranks & sounds like it wants to start & nothing, after couple min, close to 1hr.all of a sudden it started, week went by & rained again & the problem persists, took it to my mechanic twice & he informed its the computer, then he thought it was the main relay now he's back to the computer but cannot get a hold of one - part# ABK- 37820-PR4-A61491-126201, Ive been without a car for almost a month - I feel like taking my car to a new mechanic, any suggestions in the southern Cali area, San Fernando (where I reside) or LA area preferably El Segundo (where I work)..??? many thanks...
Try asking in the regions section of the forum for advise on which shops are better in your area. There are more people there that lives in your designated area that can help you pick a good shop.