Shifter stuck in park (need help) - Page 2 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Shifter stuck in park (need help)

Old 03-04-2016, 06:54 PM   #41
Registered Member

Hi ,
i have a problem with my Acura 2003 3.2 TL. The stick gets stuck in park.I have a screw driver, which i use to unlock. Is there a way to debug through the issue, i went to the dealership a week back, for an airbag safety recall. I wonder if it has to do with anything with replacing the air bag. How should i go through checking this issue, how much a typical fix cost, please help. I will check the brake light and update the post.
txfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:01 PM   #42

Thanked 4,866 Times in 3,882 Posts
Brake switch is usually the culprit
thoiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:12 PM   #43
Registered Member

Hi thoiboi, Thank you. Can i find this by hitting the brakes and checking the brake lights?
And how much would it cost to replace the part?
Old 03-04-2016, 11:21 PM   #44

Yes you can. And it's no more than 10-15 bucks IIRC
Old 03-05-2016, 06:12 PM   #45
Registered Member

So, did the break light test, and the stop lights are not coming on.
i checked the fusebox under the hood. the Fuse for Stop Light is 20A, it was fine. No broken fuse observed.
I Opened up the dash under steering and was able to watch the contraption in the attached image. As we press the brakes , the switch opened up fine and the connection is firm.
Now i am not sure if i need to replace this part.. is there any way to know if i should replace this part and if i can jump onto check a different area.
Any inputs are greatly welcome. There was a WD40 solution that worked for @texashonda, not sure how WD40 would help me.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #46

Do a continuity test if you really don't want to replace the switch.
The Following User Says Thank You to thoiboi For This Useful Post:
txfun (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 09:15 PM   #47
Registered Member

@thoiboi, thank you. I just took my car out for a test and the issue is resolved. This looks like a loose connection. When i did the fuse test earlier, i had reached down under the steering and pressed hard on all the connections.. looks like that fixed the issue as of now. Will reach out to the kind acuraezine forum..
Old 03-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #48

Aura TL Stuck Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfun View Post
@thoiboi, thank you. I just took my car out for a test and the issue is resolved. This looks like a loose connection. When i did the fuse test earlier, i had reached down under the steering and pressed hard on all the connections.. looks like that fixed the issue as of now. Will reach out to the kind acuraezine forum..
I'm having similar issues
​​​ with my shifter being stuck but my radio and car charger do not work Acra Tl...any ideas?
Capree QueenPree VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #49
Registered Member

It's probably the brake switch down by the brake pedal. Recently, my brake light wouldn't go out and I bought a new brake switch. It still stayed on. Next, I noticed that the plastic deal that depresses the switch plunger had a hole in it and the plunger went right through the hole.
tempetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #50

I have a similar problem with my 2006 TL. I was unable to shift from Park to Drive. Also, although I was able to turn the ignition key off, I was not able to turn it all the way off so that I could remove the key. I spoke to a service advisor who said it likely was the brake lights not coming on but that wasn't the case. Then he advised me to remove the shift lock release slot cover (located to the left of the gear shift) and to insert something such as a key into the shift lock release slot and to push down on the key and then move the shift lever to neutral, etc. That worked for me. I later located these instructions in the owner's manual; however, the manual says, "If you need to use the shift lock release, it means your vehicle is developing a problem." My question is: Does anyone out there know what could be causing this problem?
acj003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #51
Khmer Pride

Replace your break switch under your steering column you will see an switch right on your pedal

QUOTE=acj003;16111895]I have a similar problem with my 2006 TL. I was unable to shift from Park to Drive. Also, although I was able to turn the ignition key off, I was not able to turn it all the way off so that I could remove the key. I spoke to a service advisor who said it likely was the brake lights not coming on but that wasn't the case. Then he advised me to remove the shift lock release slot cover (located to the left of the gear shift) and to insert something such as a key into the shift lock release slot and to push down on the key and then move the shift lever to neutral, etc. That worked for me. I later located these instructions in the owner's manual; however, the manual says, "If you need to use the shift lock release, it means your vehicle is developing a problem." My question is: Does anyone out there know what could be causing this problem?[/QUOTE]
KrayzieDxC is offline   Reply With Quote