running temperature

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
running temperature

after even a 20 minute drive my engine temp stays just above cold the.. on the second line.

are all of ur cars are the same or does the temperature go up the middle

i think its stuck on close loop mode and i also noticed that before my RPM were lower when going 65-70 mph

i also get bad gas mileage..

i think its the thermostat but not sure..

and suggestions?

thanks
Old 01-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Instructor

guys i need ur input bad

where does ur temperature needle stay most of the time when u drive for a while during the winter!!
Old 01-30-2006, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I asked this question a while back and found that 90% of the people had their temp gauge the same spot as yours... Mine inbetween the halfway and quarter mark... Almost like you have 1/3 tank of gas... They just run really cool I guess! The thermostat is set to like 170 before it opens... this is generally a lot lower than most cars, but for a good reason... The car has aluminum heads... which are easier to warp than cast iron heads... They also are more prone to destroy head gaskets... running the motor cooler is honda's solution... Also, there are emissions components that only cut on with certain temperatures... so you wouldnt want to mess with that...

If a thermostat fails it fails open... or closed...

If it fails open the coolant is constantly cycling, so the coolant never has a chance to slow down and cool off in the radiator... so basically your car would overheat...

If it fails closed, the the coolant that is in the radiator stays in the radiator, and the coolant in the block stays in the block, so your car would overheat...

If it is not overheating then you should be safe
Old 01-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine is gradually getting hot..more to the H. I have to get that shit fixed asap
Old 01-31-2006, 04:39 PM
OMG! Oh N0ES!

Originally Posted by ljmushock
I asked this question a while back and found that 90% of the people had their temp gauge the same spot as yours... Mine inbetween the halfway and quarter mark... Almost like you have 1/3 tank of gas... They just run really cool I guess! The thermostat is set to like 170 before it opens... this is generally a lot lower than most cars, but for a good reason... The car has aluminum heads... which are easier to warp than cast iron heads... They also are more prone to destroy head gaskets... running the motor cooler is honda's solution... Also, there are emissions components that only cut on with certain temperatures... so you wouldnt want to mess with that...

If a thermostat fails it fails open... or closed...

If it fails open the coolant is constantly cycling, so the coolant never has a chance to slow down and cool off in the radiator... so basically your car would overheat...

If it fails closed, the the coolant that is in the radiator stays in the radiator, and the coolant in the block stays in the block, so your car would overheat...

If it is not overheating then you should be safe
Thats not true.

My 96 2.5TL never did that until recently. The coolant temp needle used to goto jut below the halfway mark (think slightly under half a tan of gas). For a month i drove with what seemed like a cold engine because the needle never got past the second cold line. Changed out the thermostat and the car warms up faster than ever. Getting way better mileage as a result as well.

Just follow the DIY 2.5 Thermostat change thread. Took me 15 minutes with my air tools.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Acura temp gauges seem to be remarkably accurate and consistent based on the posts about the typical position of the temperature pointer. A thermostat should warm to about the normal (lower side of temp symbol on gauge) position w/i 5 minutes of driving at suburban speeds. If it's substantially slower, it needs to be replaced. I've found that OEM thermostats are much better at achieving rapid warmup than aftermarket t'stats.

Your T'stat would have to be very cold (perhaps < 140 F) to maintain the engine in open loop operation,...the fuel inefficent mode. Closed loop, where fuel is metered by the O2 sensor and fuel injectors, is what you want.

good luck
Old 01-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Acura temp gauges seem to be remarkably accurate and consistent based on the posts about the typical position of the temperature pointer. A thermostat should warm to about the normal (lower side of temp symbol on gauge) position w/i 5 minutes of driving at suburban speeds. If it's substantially slower, it needs to be replaced. I've found that OEM thermostats are much better at achieving rapid warmup than aftermarket t'stats.

Your T'stat would have to be very cold (perhaps < 140 F) to maintain the engine in open loop operation,...the fuel inefficent mode. Closed loop, where fuel is metered by the O2 sensor and fuel injectors, is what you want.

good luck
ok then i mean open loop mode where the engine is AFR is only cotroled by stored data and not by the O2 sensor
Old 01-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Instructor

BTW thaks for the info! ill chage my thermostat asap